Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

veni veni veni posted:

I have

Move input
Remove input
Check for updates
Give us feedback
Close

And nothing else

Actually select the input first, so you’re watching Netflix or playing the PS4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Initial setup is kind of a pain but I appreciate the level of control. I leave the motion smoothing on low for some of the inputs where it’s genuinely helpful

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Are CXs much more expensive there?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

B9 has HDMI 2.1 and G Sync compatability

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Anybody have any experience with TVs like The Frame or the LG GX? I know they’re hilariously overpriced but was wondering if they at least perform as intended. Are all hookups just run through the drywall?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/WirecutterDeals/status/1288093567404183558?s=20

Through Best Buy

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Anyone ever have a TV suddenly pick up a lot of input lag? Playing on my vanilla PS4 on a TCL 6 series in game mode. Ran great for four or five months, then started noticing some issues while playing Rocket League. Thought I was just going crazy but I've played some other games where the timing is very noticeable (Everybody's Golf) and it's off by a half-second.

Tried with HDR on and off and it runs the same.

TV? PS4? Controller?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

I *think* there's a default signal setting that would allow you to go straight to whatever USB/HDMI input you need upon boot. But I'm not 100% on that.

It has this for HDMI, for sure.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

BonoMan posted:

TCL 2020 6 series is out. Improvements are mini led and 120hz. And 75" size.

Series 5 gets an update to qled.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/tcl-launches-2020-6-series-roku-tvs-with-mini-led-qled-local-dimming/

Any way to tell if the HDMI ports are 2.1?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

UPS has been taking a big poo poo for me recently, had like three packages disappear or show up mysteriously after weeks

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

If your parents don't care about picture quality I'd just go with the TCL 4 Series. Roku baked in and the 55" retails for around $300

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Recommend me a 43" TV that has both excellent black level and good viewing angles. I currently have a 43" LG UM7300 and its an IPS screen that has great viewing angles, but the black level is horrible. I would get OLED but there basically isn't one that small.

If you can go up just a few inches then LG has a 48" CX. Otherwise you're probably picking between a TCL 4 Series or a Vizio V-Series, and neither really have top-end features.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Random question -- is there any issue with keeping a non-OLED at full backlight brightness? I'm in a very well-lit room, so it's just what looks best.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Last TV I bought was a decade ago, what does HDMI 2.1 do for me?

120hz video, mostly for next-gen consoles. Also 8K moving forward in 8K TVs

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Most people would point you towards the TCL 6 series or the Hisense H8G. Hisense is a little cheaper and has better local dimming, while the TCL has Roku baked in and gets much brighter.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 10, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Parrotine posted:

Hey neat, they have roundabout scores for all different video aspects!

What's an acceptable overall score here? Both are at 7.8/7.9, which doesn't sound the best for a $1200+ TV, but I may be conditioned through culture to want an 8/9+ score.

The LG CX, which is basically the "money is no object" recommendation for most people, got an 8.8 from the same site. CNet and The Wirecutter (NYT's review site) call the TCL 6 series the "best TV for the money" and the "best overall LCD/LED TV" in their rankings.

75"+ TVs are just pricy, they know if you're looking at sets that large you're already on the hook.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

5436 posted:

Basically 2.1 for 120fps is the main diff.

The odds are pretty low that any game is going to actually hit 120hz, right? CX does have VRR, which is up to you whether that's worth $500 extra

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

RCarr posted:

Am I better off waiting for Black Friday to upgrade my TV?

Probably depends on what price range you're looking for. If you want the cheapest tv possible, might be worth it. Otherwise you probably just want to wait for a good sale on whatever model you're looking at.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Bioshuffle posted:

I have my TV connected to a soundbar via optical.
Is there a way to make it so that I can control the volume via the TV remote instead of having to use the sound bar remote? Would I be able to do that if I used the HDMI cable? I do have a hdmi arc or whatever it's called, but I'd hate to shuffle around back down for no reason.

If your tv remote and soundbar remote both use an IR blaster, you might also just be able to program the soundbar to recognize the TV remote

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

OLED will be mature and ready when I can get a solid 75" set for around a grand

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Hmmm... my current TV is 42”, so I’d be spending like $450 to get an additional inch in size, Alexa voice controls, and 4K?

How much higher should I set my budget if I want something that feels like more of an upgrade?

I'd look at the TCL 5 series and Hisense H8G as well — they're both cheaper and better reviewed than the Sony, and the 50" models fit your space.

Re: your edit, sites like Amazon Best Buy have the dimensions clearly spelled out under the "specifications" section

morestuff fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 3, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Also, am I essentially looking at Black Friday prices? Or am I better off waiting until then for the best deal?

Some places, like Best Buy, have already posted their Black Friday ads so you can shop around a bit. If saving $50-100 is a dealbreaker for you I'd just wait the few weeks, the TVs will still be there afterward if you strike out

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

That's quite a jump from $229 for a 65" lol

e: is the point here that my old plasma is nice enough that anything less than an OLED will be a significant downgrade? I know it looks nice but I didn't realize it was that nice.

You'll be fine. At worst you have a new bedroom TV and something you can pawn off on a friend.

It's a budget model and may not look 100% as good as your old plasma but you'll appreciate the extra size and know what to look for when you're ready to splash a little more cash

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

YggiDee posted:

Smart TV's have ads? How long has this been going on? I just bought a TCL series 4, are there going to be commercial breaks in my Netflix queue?

They’re just talking about the “recommendations” on the home screen

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

GFBeach posted:

These and the TCL 6 series all seem to be pretty hard to come by right now. Was there a supply shortage of some kind or are these models discontinued?

Probably just some people with nothing else to spend money on in the pandemic

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Just for my own knowledge, what is HDMI 2.0, 2.1, etc?

All the details you could want on 2.1 here, but the upshot is basically 4k120, 8K in the future and stuff like VRR. 2.0 is what you're currently using.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

I left kind of the same until I hooked the PS5 up, because of the autoHDR on that.

Yeah turns out watching poo poo with the backlight up really helps.

Not sure what you mean, PS5 just has regular HDR

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

More dimming zones can make a big difference if you notice stuff like greyed-out blacks. If you're not too finicky you'll probably be just fine.

Worth a watch for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZINO8XWXPs

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Weirdly, it seems off that video that the only thing the 6 series actually does better than the 5 is peak brightness, gray uniformity and contrast with local dimming. The 5 wins out on response time, black uniformity, native contrast, local dimming, and a few other categories. Even weirder is the guy recommends the 6 over the 5; I'd say that would have to have the caveat of "if you mostly watch in a bright room," no?

The extra brightness will also help a lot if you want to get the most (or, really, much of anything) out of HDR.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I wish RTings had been around in 2007, I'm actually very curious what my current ancient-but-top-end Viera plasma puts out in terms of brightness, contrast and color, etc.

Like, I'm perfectly happy with how it performs in most categories, and if it turned out that "yeah tech has advanced to the point where even the lovely Black Friday models will at least match what you currently have" I'd be all over it - I literally am just looking for a bigger display that's at least as good as what I'm currently using.

FWIW I recently went from a 50" Viera to a 75" TCL 6 Series and don't regret it

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

BonoMan posted:

If you absolutely can't because of budget. Then just flip a coin.

This but instead just buy the first one that's on a great sale

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Wait, what sale?

Edit-- I don't mean for it to seem like hand-wringing, I genuinely don't know what I'm doing and I'm largely basing my feelings off the numbers I'm seeing and I have no frame of reference. For all I know a 7.2 for "color gradient" could be a "12/10 totally loving amazing" compared to my current TV. You're right, I'm getting worked up over nothing.

I'm just saying, you have two good options. Set up alerts on a deal tracking site or just keep an eye out and buy one of the two when it gets a deep discount.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

ill take a look at those, thanks! if we got rid of the HDMI 2.1 due to the issues people mentioned above, is there any others off the top of your head? i haven't even paid attention to new tvs in over a decade so the OP and all of you guysh ave been a great help.

What’s your budget?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Just depends on how much bells and whistles mean to you, even cheap TVs are very nice these days. Might help if you could tape measure the available space.

At that price point your best bets are probably either a TCL 5 series or a Hisense H8G

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

L0cke17 posted:

95% of what we have on is youtube and netflix.
Looks like we could fit ~55" width with 12-13" deep.

From what I'm reading the tcl 4 vs 5 series is basically just the colors are a little better on the 5?

5 Series is probably worth the upgrade unless it's a big issue for the budget. Rtings has a nice comparison tool but the upshot is:

quote:

The TCL 5 Series/S535 2020 QLED is much better than the TCL 4 Series 2020. The 5 Series has a better contrast ratio, a full-array local dimming feature, and it gets brighter. It also displays a wide color gamut for HDR content, has a much quicker response time, and lower input lag. However, the 4 Series has better out-of-the-box color accuracy and better reflection handling.

Local dimming is the big one there, it'll help the picture quite a bit

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

L0cke17 posted:

And just to clarify: it seems like the 2020 series is a big upgrade over the 2019 series? I’m looking for the QLED marketed screens, not LED marketed screens?

Yep. Best way to search would probably be the model number, which for the 5 series is:

50S535 - 50"
55S535 - 55"
65S535 - 65'
75S535 - 75"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

edit: nm

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

HBO going to make me buy a new device just to watch a probably-lovely Matrix 4

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

qirex posted:

I'm trying to work this deal out, I'm guessing their math says that this will drive $X billion in new subscription revenue or something and I'm also guessing this won't apply to countries like China where people still go to movies in great numbers.

Yeah, they're basically just calling 2021 another covid wash and trying to save HBO Max. They're only up on streaming for a month so they still get international money and cash from what's left of the home video market and rentals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Grey posted:

Where do you see that they will only be streaming for a month?

https://twitter.com/kristapley/status/1334565615902679041?s=20