Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Enos Cabell posted:

I mean, $145 for something that plays UHD discs and can stream 4k content seems pretty dang reasonable to me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HXF9H2/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah, I saw that too but it’s for a used player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah my PS5 is just fine and looks great, but Dolby Vision is only available on it for apps and not for discs. A stand-alone player would be a luxury for a few small perks which is why I’d rather not pay full boat

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Gemini Man isn’t that bad and is probably the only thing out there to use high frame rate in a cool, interesting way. Ang Lee also did Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk which is the only other high frame rate movie I’d recommend but it’s really not for everyone

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

FWIW it might just take some getting used to. My A80J still mostly feels dim compared to my old TCL 6 Series, but when it looks great it looks terrific.

You want a premium-priced TV to totally wow you and give you best-in-class everything and that has unfortunately not been my experience. The new TV takes a lot more futzing around with settings to get the ideal picture on every input and video source. I'd give it a few more days of tinkering if you're still within the return window

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

I’m in a temporary furnished rental which means using the tv built in apps and such and it has made me realize what poo poo modern tvs are, it’s some sort of Sony with android as the software. I may want to get a new tv when I buy a place soon, what tvs have the absolute fastest ui for settings? I’ll never use built in apps but even this several seconds of lag just to get into the settings dialogue is dire. Even better, what tvs start from standby/powered off the fastest?

Not sure if anyone out there tracks this, but the new Google TV UI on the most recent Sonys is pretty snappy for me. The Roku TVs I've had were also fine and in line with my experience using standard Roku devices

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The issue with VRR was patched and works fine now, though it takes a little bit more menuing than is ideal. It doesn't have some of the bells and whistles that LG's OLEDs do but in terms of function it's more or less on par

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It just seems to be a reoccurring theme in video reviews that Sony TVs require more loving around to calibrate gaming properly. Everyone says get a Samsung or LG but I hate the new Tizen using it at the store and also I want Dolby vision. I also want a mini-LED and LG only has one 2022 model out and it’s their mid range one. No X95K equivalent yet.

The biggest annoyance (that I've noticed) is that you need to toggle Dolby Vision and VRR on the TV side of things if you plan on using a console for 4K disc playback. Other than that just slap it into Game mode and you should be set

If you're not getting an OLED I don't know that most people would recommend a Samsung or LG over a Sony, though, unless cost is your main driver

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Just get the Samsung QN90B, it gets brighter, it has slightly lower input lag and it's on sale at Amazon right now this minute

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

It happens during dark scenes of shows. Recently House of Dragons on HBO has triggered it with it's nighttime scenes and making things unwatchable. Part of it is the people making it master it on $30,000+ monitors and not accounting for consumer grade stuff but the other side of the coin is OLED's dimdown cause of burn in potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D83SXcguwBU

I watched a few GoT episodes recently and even though they're both in DV the new show is just unwatchably dark in comparison, it sucks

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

abelwingnut posted:

so a related question to my previous one about the blu ray/dvd/4k player.

if i buy a 4k uhd disc, play it in whatever player i end up on, and set my samsung tv to not do that auto motion plus silliness, will the film still look like a soap opera or will it look like a proper film? is there likely some setting i need to change on the player as well?

basically, i just want the fantastic image quality of 4k uhd, but i absolutely cannot stand the enhanced frame rates they can give. that soap opera effect just disturbs me like no other.

You’ll be fine. Might take a minute to get used to the increased resolution but motion probably won’t be an issue.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You’d likely be just fine with a TCL 5 or 6, or a Hisense U7H or U8H. Just scout for deals on the size you want in your price range. The 6 series and U8H will have slightly more bells and whistles.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ryuga Death posted:

I just got my LG C2 up and running the other day. This is pretty awesome. Last tv I had was a hand me down from my parents, which was a no name tube tv with built dvd and vcr.

I've been googling around for proper tv settings but I don't know if they're worth following or not. For example, I've been reading this RTings page about C2 settings. Is it sound advice or should I put it back to default settings? Should I enable eARC support? I'm using a denon receiver.

The one that confuses me most is sharpness. I think my tv had it set to 25 by default but the RT page says they put it at 0 and googling around has results saying to either leave it at zero or 10. Honestly, I don't understand a lot of settings. Auto Dynamic Contrast, Super Resolution, Noise Reduction, etc. I'm just :psyduck:.

Also not sure what the best brightness setting is and how it affects whatever SDR/HDR is.

I'd start with the Rtings settings then just adjust to what looks good to you. Part of the joy of high-end electronics is fiddling with it endlessly

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ryuga Death posted:

I'm just so worried I'm going to destroy something or make the picture quality look like total crap due to my meddling. What does sharpness actually do? Is it just the tv version of Anti-Aliasing?

In the absolute worst case you can always restore to factory settings. Here's a detailed explainer on sharpness but it basically just give elements outlined edges on the screen

Ryuga Death posted:

Honestly, I don't fully understand what any of the Dolby or HDR/SDR stuff is and how that kicks in when I'm watching stuff. I'm still worried about burn in even though it's apparently a non issue for the most part. I shouldn't be manually running pixel cleaning, right?

Dolby Vision essentially auto-corrects your picture settings to the creator's intent, though it's only available on some content / streaming services. HDR is just an industry standard that allows a tv to display brighter brights and improve contrast. If you're concerned with burn-in it's possible that leaving the picture brightness on the lower end will help but it's largely (in theory) not a concern any more.

Ryuga Death posted:

Should I be happy with the included tv apps? I only ask cause I've heard about fire sticks or chromecast so often over the years. I mainly only use youtube and prime video. The only one that seemed sort of interesting was Nvidia shield pro but only cause I wanted to send whatever I'm playing on my PC to the tv so others could see without having to huddle around my desktop.

I'd just use the included apps for now and if performance is an issue you can look at other options

morestuff fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 14, 2022

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

So confession.

I have had my LG CX coming up a year now. All the content we watch (Disney Plus, Prime Video, Netflix) is either done through the built in app or sometimes on my PS5.
I have never switched off the TruMotion feature and have never had a problem with the picture quality.

Is it something that only effects live TV or something?

It affects everything but if you keep video settings for your PS5 in Game Mode it may automatically disable motion smoothing. Might be worth disabling to see if you like the picture better but if you prefer it well it’s your TV

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Google TVs as of 2021 have "Basic Mode" available which turns your set into a dumb tv, if you feel like replacing your expensive fancy one

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You might want to mess around with the CEC settings, that way it auto-selects the input when you turn the game system on. Would at least simplify part of it

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Works perfectly for me but I’m not running anything more complicated than a TV and a PS5

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I never thought I’d be that guy but the motion smoothing on my Sony OLED is good and subtle enough that I leave it on low for most video. Every now and then I’ll switch over to Cinema mode if it doesn’t look right but for the most part I don’t need to

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Woot has new 65" C2s a couple hundred bucks off at $1500. As far as I can tell that's an all-time low

morestuff fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 21, 2023

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

On the other hand if you're spending that much the wifi should probably work

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It basically takes over your TVs picture settings to give you the best image for that particular film

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

codo27 posted:

I cant believe no ones kickstartered a dumb TV with a slot you can insert some kinda open sourced processing module into that can be easily replaced when need be. I suppose getting the panels wouldn't be easy when the whole purpose of this project would be to subvert smart TV advertisements and associated fuckery.

Also barely anyone cares

You can run any sets using Google TV (including Sony OLEDs) in basic mode which deactivates the smart features

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hell I remember when just having a flat screen tv was impressive

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

incogneato posted:

I'm probably getting a new TV some time in the next 6 months or so. Due to our space and setup, we're looking at around 75", if not a touch larger.

I haven't gamed on a console in ages, but we have a kid now so I'm thinking about that possibility in the future. My question is: How does the Nintendo Switch do on a large 4k screen? I'm vaguely aware that the Switch outputs at a lower resolution, but my knowledge of such things ends there. Is there something to look for in different TVs that handle that sort of situation better than others? Or will it not be a big deal regardless?

It won't really matter, any 4K tv will be able to upscale just fine

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

What’s your budget

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

If it’s not too bright a room, a 65” LG B3 would be a great plasma replacement.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

Where do you imagine decent speakers could fit in the incredibly slim frame and body of the TV? All modern TVs have poo poo sound, that’s just the trade off for them getting thinner.

Anyway turning off motion smoothing doesn’t make you an old man, just someone with taste.

The sound on my Sony OLED is beyond good for apartment life

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Is this streaming or off a disc?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I have the Sony X700 and while it’s slightly finicky it does basically everything you’d want it to and it’s cheap

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Worth pointing out that they did a refresh on the 700 at some point — not sure which one Vader has but I haven’t had the mentioned issue with the newer model. Biggest issue is a sluggish UI and that it doesn’t seem to remember where I stopped in a movie if I turn it off halfway through.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

Reading this conversation is making me wonder now, I'm buying a Shield TV Pro at some point for Plex direct play, but is there anything wrong with watching 4k discs on my PS5 or series X? Verses a stand-alone player I mean

The main thing is their lack of support for Dolby Vision or HDR10+. If you don't care about that they're fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

OLEDs can get pretty significantly brighter now