Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Hed posted:

Does anyone have experience with RVU capable televisions? I heard the first generation of televisions was pretty slow to use the UI while watching over the network but recent faster processors may be better. Trying to get a critical mass of TVs capable so that I can put all the tuner boxes one location and TVs can just hook up via Ethernet.

As far as i know the 2011 or 10 samsung 6000 and up had RVU but i dont know if the new ones even have it anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Pez posted:

Is there really a huge difference between 60hz and 120hz? My wife and I are looking to get our first flatscreen, still using my old 27" CRT. Is it worth the extra price, especially considering what we're coming from?

Its not as much 60hz vs 120hz as it is old tech vs new tech, you will probably have an overall better image from a newer 120hz panel, better blacks, better motion, etc..

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

skipdogg posted:

No, not really. I turned 120HZ off on my TV, I don't care for it. Honestly just get whatever fits your budget unless you're looking for some specific feature. That's generally true for almost everyone in this thread. If you need a certain feature, you'll probably already be aware of it.

You can't turn off 120hz. What you turned off was frame interpolation.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

48" panel from the moon

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

dennyk posted:

Hah, I was checking out the Vizio E3D320VX on Amazon because it was under $350 and in the five minutes I spent looking at it, the price went up $120. Oh, Amazon... :cripes:

Amazon doesn't sell the tv, its sold through 3rd party merchants.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

CancerCakes posted:

and we sit 5 feet away, so we only need 720p, however we might be moving somewhere larger in 2014 so I was thinking 1080p would be a worthwhile investment.

This sentence doesn't make sense to me. A larger house isn't going to make 1080p worthwhile on a 32" tv.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

CancerCakes posted:

Whoops thats true! So should I go for 720p? The "HD ready" sets tend to be a bit cheaper. The furthest away we sit is 5 feet, one end of the sofa is closer, I was thinking that HD ready was just a bad idea. We aren't completely strapped for cash so I thought going for full HD would be worth it.

HD ready just means its an HDTV. 720p or 1080p has nothing to do with it. Its really an antiquated term at this point.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

samurai slowdown posted:

It's a solid set, but there was some kind of manufacturing gently caress up with most of LG's 2012 "Tru Motion" TVs so a lot of them shipped without any way to enable "Tru Motion". Some of the more expensive ones were fixed with a firmware update but LG is playing dumb about the rest. The only entry and mid level LG TVs advertised as 120hz that actually seem to have it enabled are the CS570 and LS5700 models. If you don't care about 120hz I think it's still worth considering.

I noticed that Cnet savaged the LS4600 which is basically the same TV with an extra HDMI port. They were right to complain about the clouding but I've seen worse on more expensive sets. The rest of his complaints are kind of stupid when you realize he's comparing two very different types of LCD panels (IPS and VA) and whining that one doesn't behave like the other. Watching the video review is surreal because you can see the actual picture quality while the reviewer is making GBS threads all over it.

tl;dr: a decent TV with a few issues and also Cnet is dumb

120hz and trumotion/motion interpolation are not the same thing.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Its still 2 different things.

The real issue here is LG is selling 60hz tv with backlight scanning and claiming they are 120hz, instead of using a real 120hz panel. This has nothing to do with trumotion.

Now putting 120 or 240 on a tv box and using backlight scanning isn't new or unusual, but other companies wont call it 120hz, they would call it simulated 120hz, effective 120hz, or something like that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

toplitzin posted:

Anyone have horror/success stories from using Amazon warehouse deals?

Amazon warehouse is great. You have 30 day return and they pay shipping.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

samurai slowdown posted:

The issue was only fixed in some of the higher end LM series TVs. The LS4500 and the other models I listed in my earlier post do not have Trumotion in any way shape or form.

You still don't understand. The TV model he's asking about along with three other models don't even have the motion interpolation advertised on the box because of a manufacturing gently caress up. I know the difference between actual 120hz refresh and the trumotion/motionflow/clearmotion bullshit but I am more concerned about making sure he understands that the TV he's asking about does not do either of them.

See, by this statement

"The only entry and mid level LG TVs advertised as 120hz that actually seem to have it enabled are the CS570 and LS5700 models. If you don't care about 120hz I think it's still worth considering."

It sounds like you were saying 120hz isn't enabled, as apposed to the "The only entry and mid level LG TVs advertised as 120hz that actually seem to have tru motion enabled are the CS570 and LS5700 models.

Thats where i was confused. It sounded to me you were saying they were 120hz sets that didn't have 120hz enabled. My mistake.

Lots of people exchange 120hz and motion interpolation for one another.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

geera posted:

My wife and I recently moved in to a new house and would like to replace our 7 year old 42" 720p Samsung plasma (don't know the model number, sorry) with a 50" screen, probably LED. The plasma is getting kicked upstairs to my office. I really like the Samsung's screen, so I'd like to stick with that brand. Best Buy had UN50EH5000's on sale for like $750 a few days before Christmas and I'm kicking myself for not picking one up then since the price has gone up about $150. I'd like to spend $900 or less for our new TV -- is that model about the best Samsung I can get in that price range, or are there better options in that price range and size? Am I being dumb for only really looking at Samsung?

Amazon warehouse has LIKE NEW for $775

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0078LSTRK/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Sears outlet has them openbox starting at $582

http://www.searsoutlet.com/d/product_details.jsp?pid=97973&mode=buyUsedOnly&sid=IDx20110411x000008&ci_sku=U99197973&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mitsubishi is out of the DLP business now so if you want one buy it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I'd actually prefer it sit on a stand, it makes it a lot easier to hook-up stuff to it. My current TV is from 2004 so pretty much no matter what TV I get it will be a lot thinner.

Most new flat panel tv's have all the connections on the side so even hanging on a wall they are easy to plug stuff into.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Thom P. Tiers posted:

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-32LM6200-led-tv

I am planning on getting this TV, but I have never ordered a TV from the internet before. Can anyone make me feel better about shipping a TV to my doorstep? I would really rather go into a store and get this, but I can't find it anywhere but amazon. Also, anyone have experience with this TV at all? I have an older model LED LG and I love it.

Amazon is great and if there is a problem they pay return shipping.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mouse Cadet posted:

Does anyone make a 1080P 26 or 27" these days? I'm seeing nothing on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Insignia-1080p-60Hz-LED-NS-26E340A13/dp/B00AC6YYH2/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1357845749&sr=8-12&keywords=1080p+26%22

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M261VP-26-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B003VQQVE4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357845749&sr=8-1&keywords=1080p+26%22

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

chupacabraTERROR posted:

So my mom has an 8 year old DLP tv that just died. We're going to replace it with a new one, but the catch is that it has to fit tightly inside the enclosure that was built for the old one. The enclosure is 68wx41h, which means that 70in is probably the only size that fits. Do you guys have any recommendations for a 70 inch tv?

The sharp 70 should fit with room for a soundbar.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

toplitzin posted:

Since the u50 has gone end of life (even on the panasonic website no longer lists it in favor of the 2013 model), I'm currently having toss up between two Panny IPS LED TV's

Both are the same price, but one is 47" and 3D, the other is 55" and non 3D.

Panasonic VIERA TC-L55E50 55-Inch 1080p 120Hz Full HD IPS LED-LCD TV

Panasonic VIERA TC-L47ET5 47-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Full HD IPS LED-LCD TV with 4 Pairs of Polarized 3D Glasses

Thoughts?

Get the LIKE NEW $924 55" version of the ET5 off amazon warehouse

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...=&startIndex=15

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

That is probably motion interpolation.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

thebushcommander posted:

As the resident IT guy at work (even though that isn't my job) I've been tasked with outfitting our conference room with some new-to-us technology and a large part of that is an HDTV.

Requirements -
50-55" LED panel (as thin as possible)
It has to be a Smart tv with built in web browser and we're also looking for a video conferencing solution. I assume an external camera is the way to go, but are there decent built in options? I know TV's run skype and such and that may be the closest option really. My boss wants to be able to Skype/Facetime from his iPad while he's on the road or on "vacation." Then of course video conferencing with other companies we work with on west coast as well, but I don't think they have anything setup yet, so they would probably build off whatever we get.

Other things, the TV is going to be hooked up to DirecTV (i think my boss wants to watch tv at work or something) - The TV will also be used locally for meetings/presentations so having VGA and HDMI inputs would be nice as I'll be routing the cables through the wall to a "connection" station for the presenter, although are there wireless solutions that would be easier maybe with like a USB dongle in the PC and then something on the TV to mirror the display or whatever?

I'll be working over the next month to get this all setup, basically needs to be in place by Feb 28th.

You dont want to rely on the browser built into a smart tv. You would be better off buying something like the zotac AD10 and loading windows on it for web browsing tasks. It would also allow you to use any standard webcam for skype.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

rock2much posted:

For those of you that buy TVs from Amazon, do you also buy the protection? I bought an L42E50 and have a few weeks before I'm unable to purchase protection. Prior to that I bought a 50" Samsung from BestBuy with the protection and have never had to use it.

Statistically you will not recoup the cost of the extended warranty. That being said, my costco one for my $899 tv was an extra $60 to take it to 5 years so i did it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

LaserWash posted:

Now I'm responding to myself.

The Samsung I posted about this morning says it needs M8 400x400 screws to use for a mount. The screws that I have from my monoprice mount don't work (too small). Anyone have any idea what I should be asking for when I go to Lowe's/Home Depot today and I ask for "M8 400x400 VESA" screws? Is there any secret handshaking that is required?

You need m8 screws. It will be in the specialty bins probably. It should tell you what length you need in your manual.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

teknologik posted:

I have been looking into a 50" - 60" LED or Plasma TV recently. My big fear is I have a two year old in the house who is a wrecking ball. He is like a GOD OF DESTRUCTION or some poo poo. I have seen numerous providers of 'screen protectors' online for tv's for fairly high prices. What do I do?

Mount it on the wall.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Weinertron posted:

Does anybody still do monitors? I remember the Pioneer Elite Plasmas that didn't have speakers and only had 1 HDMI input as the only option, assuming your receiver would do all the switching, processing and heavy lifting. I feel like I could get a better value if I wasn't paying for all the stuff I don't use like tuners, TV speakers, etc. Basically I wish I could buy a 60" Panasonic ST50 or ST60 for $1300 or less.

The pioneer elite plasmas weren't discounted because they didn't have all that stuff. They were still gently caress all expensive.

Any company that did it today would do the same thing, cause it would only be sold to high end clients.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Takes No Damage posted:

Right now I've got my PC hooked up to a pair of 24" Samsung TVs over DVI, they've been working pretty well for about 2 years now. I want to upgrade one of them to a larger size for games/video, looking for some general tips on what to look for.

I'm looking in the 36"-48" range, because it's better to scale up a 1080 frame by an even amount (or is that bullshit?). 16:10 would be nice, 16:9 isn't a dealbreaker. Don't care about 3D/SMART/internet/apps/speakers/whatever, just looking for maximum picture quality. Needs to have at least one each DVI/HDMI, TOSLINK would be a nice plus for the very rare times I want to watch live TV. I'd be willing to drop up to $1000 for something that would look good and not be obsolete in 6 weeks.

Anybody who can give me some current brands/models to keep an eye on, much appreciated.

You are just tv shopping. They will all be 16:9. They will all have HDMI input. They will mostly all have optical or coax digital output for the built in tv tuner. They will probably not have optical/coax digital input.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Assuming the Sony lets you put the tv in sbs mode just format the image that way and force sbs.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

Whats sbs mode? Is that stereo mode? If so, that might be a problem as I think it requires the source input to be 3D. I don't think you can force it. Its either 'Auto' or 'Off'. I'm not versed on how it actually works but if its a passive thing that can never be turned off then I'm golden. I'm making an interlaced image now and taking it to the store to check.

Google sbs 3d

Left and right eye. Put tv in sbs mode and it stretches and overlays the 2 images for 3d glasses. I know my vizio allows me to force it.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 24, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you are near a microcenter this is a MUCH better deal.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6044058-LG-...-at-Microcenter

The LG 55LM8600 or 55LA7400 are both $999. They are subbing the LA7400 for the LM8600 if the LM8600 isn't in stock.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

KingKapalone posted:

Any recommendations for what I posted above?

To add, I think I have decided on a 55" set with them. She was thinking of buying it at Best Buy since they can install it, but I said to not do that since the TVs will be cheaper online. I'm guessing it's pretty common to find an A/V shop that will mount it?

Buy the tv online and have an av company do the install. You dont have to buy the tv from the company that installs it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

bigger thicker loads posted:

What's a good 3D, non-smart TV? I'm looking to get something in the 47-50 inch range, and I don't need any wifi or streaming capabilities since I have those on my xbox and bluray player. I was looking at this model, but it has some pretty bad reviews concerning picture quality and viewing angle.

Just buy the tv you want that looks good to you. Dont focus on not getting 3d or not getting smart functions. They do not add anything to the cost, they are throw ins at this point.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Avsforum has a free calibration disc.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

UncleGuito posted:

I got a 42" Panasonic S60 the other week and was interested in mounting it but I wasn't sure if there was a most recommended type right now for heavier plasmas. I don't really have any specific requirements as far as tilt goes- just need something that's stable.

Just pick one off monoprice. That tv isn't even 50lbs.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ropes4u posted:

Is there a 32" smart tv worth buying for our bedroom? Or should I just grab what looks good at Walmart. The only thing we would use it for would be streaming Netflix.

Its nice not relying on a seperate box for poo poo like netflix.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

qirex posted:

That resultion vs. distance chart is BS and always has been and was originally created so AVS plasma fanboys could win arguments over people getting 1080P LCDs.

Have someone go look at bestbuys 4k demo and that is obvious.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Astro7x posted:

Is there anyway to find out for sure if my TV's optical output downgrades the audio from 5.1 to stereo? I keep seeing things line that say "most TVs", but I have no idea if this is still relevant.

Edit: Instruciton Manual lists it as "Toslink" if that matters.

Only way is to test it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BrettRobb posted:

I was always under the impression the optical out on tvs was primarily for outputting the digital audio from the built in tv tuner. In most scenarios its better to go directly from the audio source, ie: cable box, ps3, dvd etc, to the audio receiver. A lot of HTIB, and soundbars actually have multiple HDMI, or stereo/optical -in for audio for this reason if you choose to not get a full featured receiver.

It is but some TVs will also pass 5.1dd and DTS through.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mister Macys posted:

Colour me surprised. I've read in other threads that name changing was a thing in the States, and that Costco and (sometimes) Walmart were the main ones; to keep price matching services from taking their business.

I dont think costco really does it as much as sams/walmart. Walmart does it with laptops too. All the hp/compaq walmart laptops end in WM and you can guarentee they are poo poo.

For tv's wallmart will get last years electronics in this years chassis.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Stryguy posted:

I currently own this LG upconvert DVD player/speaker/receiver combo (http://reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/871...e=2&sort=rating). The DVD player has gone to poo poo on me and is constantly freezing and skipping to the point where things are unwatchable, and that's after cleaning it.

I know next-to-nothing about receivers, DVD players and speakers. I would really like to get a new upconvert DVD player to replace my current, and a fairly cheap receiver to wire my current speakers into. I don't need much, and I like what I have, so I am not looking to spend a huge amount. Really just want to replace my DVD player and be able to still use my surround sound.

Any recommendations for a new upconvert DVD player and receiver?

If there is a better thread to ask this in then point the way and I'll go there, I don't come to this area of the forums often.

If you buy a dvd player that does upconversion thats fine, but dont make it a priority. Any modern tv does its own upconverting just fine. I dont know how much you are looking to spend but you can get bluray players pretty drat cheap. Especially openbox from bestbuy or amazon.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Stryguy posted:

By God, I did not know that. My TV is 6 years old, and to my knowledge it doesn't upconvert on its own. I think it's outside the modern window.

I found the audio thread and I think that's more appropriate for what I will need to do. If anyone cares to help my post is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3384469&pagenumber=47#post417360785

Every flat panel TV up converts or down converts to its native resolution. Its just a question of how well. For DVDs it probably doesn't matter. The only benefit to an upconverting DVD player is if your TV is really bad at it like the TVs 10 years ago with ati chip sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Aquila posted:

Panasonic 65" plasma coming for me tomorrow: http://camelcamelcamel.com/Panasonic-TC-P65S60-65-Inch-1080p-Plasma/product/B00ARAHBK0 and I already had to email Amazon to have them correct the price.

Can anyone recommend a cart or rolling stand that I can use to keep the tv out of the way when I'm not using it? The layout of my living room doesn't lend itself to wall mounting. Bonus points for it being nice looking and maybe even mounting planar speakers on the side.

A 65" on a rolling cart?