Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I am in the market for a new TV! I currently have a 10 year old 28 inch CRT, so anything will be a step up. The space the TV has to occupy will take a maximum of a 32 inch TV, and we sit 5 feet away, so we only need 720p, however we might be moving somewhere larger in 2014 so I was thinking 1080p would be a worthwhile investment.

Our budget is £350 max, and we will then be getting a Freesat HD+ box for another £150 ish(does anyone know if the new freeview boxes are worth it?).

We want: 32 inch, Full HD 1080p, value for money
We don't mind: LED/LCD/Plasma makes little difference to my eye, everything is a massive improvement on our CRT. SMART, Brand, lag, freeview included (plugging it into a freesat box anyway)
We don't want: 3D (my parents have it and I hate it, doesn't click for either of us. Also we don't watch 3d at cinema)

Basically we want a decent 32 inch panel that isn't going to crap out on us, to hook up to a Freesat HD PVR box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

This sentence doesn't make sense to me. A larger house isn't going to make 1080p worthwhile on a 32" tv.

Whoops thats true! So should I go for 720p? The "HD ready" sets tend to be a bit cheaper. The furthest away we sit is 5 feet, one end of the sofa is closer, I was thinking that HD ready was just a bad idea. We aren't completely strapped for cash so I thought going for full HD would be worth it.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

HD ready just means its an HDTV. 720p or 1080p has nothing to do with it. Its really an antiquated term at this point.

Thanks, its just that everywhere I have looked HD ready = 720p, full HD = 1080.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/toshiba-32bv502b-hd-ready-32-lcd-tv-12311839-pdt.html
vs
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/toshiba-32bv702b-full-hd-32-lcd-tv-12311794-pdt.html

In the OLD thread OP I found this:
"For screens below 45” consider a 720p display with high contrast and deep blacks over a 1080p display with lower contrast ratio. With the picture controls properly adjusted, you will be seen a wonderful sharp detailed high definition image that looks better that the 1080p model and costs less."

So I will probably just go to the shop tonight, have a look at the TVs and see what I like.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

LaserWash posted:

3D, True Motion 120 Hz, 1080p, Super slim, LED, 55" LG screen for $800? Is there some slavery in Korea going on that I need to know about? That's just insane.

Well there is, but it's in Africa.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coltan

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I have 600 GBP to spend on a 55 inch TV, and I want to buy it from richersounds.com because their 6 year guarantee is great and I am in this position because the two TVs I have tried so far have died on me.

This TV will be for streaming, mostly 1080p content, and also for use with a uhd blueray player, in an atmos system. I am struggling to balance picture quality, upscaling, local dimming etc, smart that isn't poo poo and buying a TV in the UK is a massive pain because they switch the model numbers around and make it really confusing.

Should I buy a Sony because they (seem) to have the best upscaling, and use with the Roku 4k I already have?

Or get an LG because it appears to have the best native smart features?

Or get a cheaper panel (TCL/hisense maybe?) and an nvidea shield (cigar version)? For reference I am looking at the hisense 55a6gtuk but I can't work out what it would be on rtings

I don't want to cross the divide to oled, because I can't justify the spend.

If it matters brightness isn't an issue because the room that it will be in is north facing. I don't have a Plex server and this room won't be for gaming, purely movies, TV and sports.

I'm probably over thinking this, but I feel like this price point is where there is the most risk of getting a lemon rather than a deal.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Plenty of people prefer the reliability of wires, it's one less thing to troubleshoot when things go wrong. Which is why I am annoyed there is no Roku with ethernet in the UK, even though my roku sits on top of the WiFi.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

If you live alone in a cabin in the woods where no one can hear you get an av system. If you don't be a good neighbour/housemate and just get a good pair of wireless headphones.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Just redecorate the room, and while you are redecorating accidentally make some holes, and then oh well may as well run speaker wire everywhere as you are going to have to patch anyway.

Note, that this may take more time than you think, I am in month 5 of redecorating.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

On LG remotes where is the button to show the incoming feed details (resolution in particular)? I don't get this loving remote at all. TV is good but unsurprisingly struggles with 4k streaming over wi-fi but I now have an Xbox one to handle all the smart features anyway.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

On my CX it's the button with the three dots next to the number 0, hit that and select Information.

Brilliant, thank you!

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

It's real man, real cinema! It's a happy accident and it's now an integral part of the Vision!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

If you are struggling for studs you can use a rectangle of thick plywood to go to the studs, then attach the mount to the ply where you need it.