Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
The base set and Edge of Darkness: you'll have starter decks for all 6 factions. Start with one copy each, if you end up liking it, get a second copy of those two. After that, just get what looks cool, everything else comes with full playsets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Made a Rebel fighter deck using the new packs.

2x The Defense of Yavin 4
2x The Rebel Fleet
2x Mobilize the Squadrons
2x Rogue Squadron Assault
2x Called to Arms

Called to Arms ended up being the real winner; those advanced proton torpedoes are nuts, I managed to get a turn 2 kill using Trench Run, a Gray Squadron Y-Wing, Advanced Proton Torpedoes, and a boatload of x-wings and y-wings. Really fun to play. It kinda fell apart against a Sith/Scum control deck; his objective flop had 2 Vader's Fists and a Slave Trade and, uh, that was basically it.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
That's everything you need to start at a killer price, yeah. From there, just buy the force packs that look cool.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I almost recommend working backwards in your purchasing, the Rogue Squadron cycle is really fun. Echoes of the force is all solid, too. The Hoth cycle is more hit and miss and you really want the whole thing if you're going to make decks with it. I would just look through the spoilers on cardgamedb and get what looks fun.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Ugh. Jedi keeps getting stronger and stronger and mono-scum is still bleh.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
It's awesome, though. Jedi are a little op right now, but otherwise it's my favorite card game by far. And buying every card is cheaper than a Standard MTG deck, so go for it.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Lichtenstein posted:

Anyone had luck with the new Luke? I'm trying to slap together something with him and Winter, with middling success.

My regular opponent threw him in a deck with Keyan, old pilot luke, and all the new rebel pilot sets and it's brutal. The new Red 5 is horrifying. Consistently beats the poo poo out of my pilot-vader deck.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

I approve. My ewok deck has hurt since the last faq.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Holy poo poo a scum set that has synergy with more than one other scum set!

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
More Ewoks and Rebel cap ships yessss

:unsmigghh:

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Infinite Hobbie combo?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Ok, I think I found it. You need A Hero's Trial in play, Rogue Squadron X Wing with Hobbie attached, and Well Paid in hand. Play Well Paid, and you can discard and reattach Hobbie at will during conflict for infinite attacks. It's an infinite combo, but it requires all three factions and four specific cards. I can see it being unfun to play against if it goes off, but I'd imagine the deck would be pretty janky otherwise.

e. If FFG decides this needs errata, I hope they just put a limit on something rather than resorting to the restricted list.

FishFood fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 17, 2015

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I dunno, pilot Han makes for a pretty brutal sleuth scout deck.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Interesting, I like that they're doing more errata and slimming down the restricted list. The grouping is nice, too.

In other news, I've been playing a mono scum deck that seems to work!

2x Droid Revolution
2x Droid's Task
2x All Out Brawl
2x Beyond the Black Sun
1x Reconnaissance Mission
1x Jabba's Orders

I basically flood the board with cheap droids and a bunch of targeted strike and control the edge. Fun to play, to boot. I'm not totally sold on Jabba's orders, but I do love extra resources and the Weequay elite aren’t bad.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
In terms of powerful decks, you can do some nasty work with the Sith in 2 cores. Palpatine and Vader's sets are still very, very strong.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
As someone who loooooves their monoscum capture deck, I still always hate playing against Jedi. It's difficult to capture stuff from the board rather than milling from their deck with Tattooine Crash or Slave Trade, so the undercosted, absurd Jedi dudes like Yoda (take your pick) or Luke still have impact on the board. You can easily control the balance of the force, as Scum has few ways to do that consistently against Jedi, which is probably the best faction for it. Don't have an exact decklist, but anything with May the Force Be With You and The Survivors is a giant pain.

There's also the tricksy Rebel/Smugglers "please capture my dudes" archetype. My deck looks like this:

1x Fleeing the Empire
1x Along the Gamor Run
2x Planning the Rescue
2x Feigning Captivity
2x Hope of Rebellion
2x Planning the Attack

You have a lot of cards that rescue cards, put captured units into play, are stronger the more captured cards they have, etc. Good resource base too, and it's a ton of fun to play. It's pretty fiddly, though, but this whole game is so it's kinda par for the course. Along the Gamor Run will help immensely for holding the force and is just a great pod in any deck. You have some Leader synergy too with Dodonna, Leia, and Cracken.

Try one of these out and let us know how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
My favorite card game. Huge bummer, I was hoping they would do a new core set for the new films a la X Wing, but this makes a lot more sense. With Destiny and the off timing of the LCG with the films, this was bound to happen.

• Locked thread