Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

A friend will be teaching a class at a university to English students about post-apocalypse books, focused on the major themes. He is familiar with the major works on the subject, and the class reading list so far includes:

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy

"A Canticle for Leibowitz" by Walter M. Miller, Jr.

"I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson

My friend had noted that "I Am Legend is a bit shorter than he had expected, so he may need a few additional books for the class. Please recommend some of the best examples of the genre that would be good for a class.

Also, if you have any ideas for in class videos or short excerpts, that would also be appreciated. I am thinking of recommending mentioning the Fallout universe, and maybe clips from the movie "The Day After."

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I've really enjoyed David Brin's "The Postman", at least the book. The movie's a significant departure from the book on a number of points, though, most of which were not well received by fans.

Without knowing exactly what themes your friend is going for, I think it's probably hard to recommend sources for in-class viewing. Off the top of my head though, I'd imagine that the Mad Max series or Waterworld could be helpful. And while I haven't seen or read On the Beach, it's a fairly well known work from a generation or two back.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Depending on your definition of post-apocalypse, you could consider Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick.

Less classic and more recent is Wool by Hugh Howey.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Day of the Triffids or The Chrysalids, both by John Wyndham.
The Death of Grass by John Christopher.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Maybe Nevil Shute's On The Beach? And I guess Cloud Atlas could be considered post-apocalyptic, so you could show parts of the movie, too.

TerryCheesecake
Aug 2, 2003
-
Riddley Walker

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Windup Girl
Ship Breaker
Wool
A Boy and His Dog

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
The American Book of the Dead - This is not a bad read, and I believe you can get it on Kindle for free. Although it's not a long book either. Basically is about a caricature of a republican winning presidency, thinking himself as the second coming and proceeding to completely destroying the world.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Farnham's Freehold by Heinlein.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Flatscan posted:

Day of the Triffids or The Chrysalids, both by John Wyndham.
The Death of Grass by John Christopher.

The Chrysalids!!

Great vision of how certain types of knowledge has been lost (eg, sailors bring home ridiculous rumours of people exactly the same as us, but black from head to toe!) and religion teaching "the tribulations" were punishment for some unknown sin.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Great! I hadn't heard of a lot of these, like Chrysalids, Riddley Walker, or Farnham's Freehold, and they sound like great fits.

Thank you for these recommendations, I will put them into a list and send them to him to review.

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe
I can't believe nobody mentioned Alas, Babylon. It's one of the original nuclear age post apocalyptic novels.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Earth Abides is definitely worth a look.

YogiBear727
Mar 17, 2009
If you don't mind going old school, then I recommend the book 'Alas Babylon.' It was written in 1959. It's about a group of people in Florida attempting to survive in the aftermath of nuclear war. Very well written.

JerksNeedLoveToo
Nov 12, 2006
If he's looking to have his students compare and contrast how post-apocalyptic literature has changed over the years, he might also try Mary Shelly's "The Last Man".

Very old school, it was published in 1826. Compared to modern post-apoc literature, it revolves almost solely around interpersonal and internal conflict, rather than man vs. nature survivalism.

And, as an added plus, it is free through Amazon Kindle and Google Play Books.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake. A different kind of apocalypse from the usual, and it's a very personal tale that weaves together how the apocalypse actually happened and also what life is like after it.

Lots of stuff for students to examine, too, from all the commentary on consumerism and class issues to the religious parallels and themes.

No bid COVID
Jul 22, 2007

Stephen Baxter's Flood and Ark are a pair of post-apocalyptic novels with a somewhat more unusual take on the apocalypse, think Waterworld in the extreme. I'd suggest them because they cast the post-apocalyptic world in a fairly different light than most other post-apocalyptic novels.

Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle is based on a meteor impact, but it's a bit old-fashioned and a little racist.

The Killing Star by Charles Pellegrino and George Zebrowski is actually my favorite post-apocalyptic novel, taking place in the intermediate future when humanity is suddenly attacked by vastly superior aliens.

All three of these novels include large sections detailing various apocalypses, so they may not suit if the class is meant to cover only the period after one.

I saw someone already recommended Farnham's Freehold. I'd be careful about that one, because it is a very racist book, and probably the worst/weirdest Heinlein wrote.

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
Seconding the recommendation for 'Alas, Babylon' as it's written from the time period where a swift and sudden attack by the Soviets was a very real possibility, with none of the tongue-in-cheek attitudes towards such a thing that appear in later nuclear novels.

If you'd like something a bit out of left field, James Blish's 'The Day After Judgement' and 'Black Easter' feature an apocalypse brought about by a black magician opening the gates of Hell and releasing all the demons upon the Earth.

Finally, a class may benefit from 'Wastelands' collected by John Joseph Adams, which has about 16 or 17 post apocalyptic short stories by various authors (Steven King and George RR Martin among them) they're of wildly varying quality and subject matter, but it's a pretty good cross-section of the genre.

Horrorshow
Sep 15, 2007
Bees are not snack food
Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Written in 1909 and still one of the best sci-fi/post-apoc stories I've ever read:

The Machine Stops by E.M. Forster.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Our own Mr. Parson's Liminal States is pretty rad.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
The Martian Chronicles goes from hope and ambition through destruction and aftermath, if that counts.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I suggest The Ice People from René Barjavel because it offers a nice twist from the classic post-apoc settings.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

100Dachshunds posted:

Finally, a class may benefit from 'Wastelands' collected by John Joseph Adams, which has about 16 or 17 post apocalyptic short stories by various authors (Steven King and George RR Martin among them) they're of wildly varying quality and subject matter, but it's a pretty good cross-section of the genre.

I picked this up as a "why not" and it is pretty good. Maybe skim it and offer a selection but it has a pretty wide range of stories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_People_of_Sand_and_Slag

I particularly remember this one as being very interesting and pretty strange.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Hokuto no Ken :japan:

A thorough, brutal, beautiful, and heartfelt examination of the meaning of sacrifice and manhood in a world without mercy or safety, Hokuto no Ken (or "Fist of the North Star" as it is known to ignorant baka no gaijin) reflects the superior Japanese fear of a nuclear apocalypse and the "fallout" (enjoy the jiguchi, or "pun") of the breakdown of civilized society from the honorable Nippon-style system to one of total chaos, much like that of your own barbaric Western cities of today.

The themes include the very Westernized characters exhibiting perfectly the values of their cultures by repeatedly verbalizing the appreciation for the new world in which the strong may take from the weak whatever, whenever they please.

Three brothers forge their own paths to new peace in a world devastated by the fires of nuclear war; scorched deserts and irradiated wastewater puddles pockmark the scarred wastelands as roving bandits pillage and slaughter for some temporary reprieve from the despair of living. The brothers are the only thing standing between meager attempts at civilization and the horrors of bandit ravages: Raoh, the path of domination and violence; Toki, the path of healing and peace; and Kenshiro, who walks the difficult and bloody path of divine retribution and justice to lead to peace.

Serious: "By the Waters of Babylon" is a great short story to with which to work.

Spammy
Dec 15, 2012
The Stand by Stephen King.

Edit: Would the Walking Dead graphic novels be something to consider? What about World War Z?

Spammy fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 24, 2012

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky is about the world picking up the pieces from an abrupt and overwhelming alien invasion with lasting consequences, and directly inspired the Stalker franchise. It's one of the most important pieces of Russian sci-fi.

flatpack flapjack
Aug 13, 2006

Satan destroys you // but Jesus puts you in a bowl and smokes you
If your friend is a complete sadist, he could include a selection from the Left Behind series. They're awful, lovely books with awful, lovely theology and thinly veiled awful, lovely politics written by a "biblical prophecy expert" and the erstwhile author of preachy sports-comic strip Gil Thorp, but they do represent a very particular strand of Western Evangelical apocalyptic discourse.

flatpack flapjack fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 24, 2012

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue
PD James' The Children of Men seems like a good and obvious choice for a class like this, especially with the very well regarded movie from a few years ago.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky is about the world picking up the pieces from an abrupt and overwhelming alien invasion with lasting consequences, and directly inspired the Stalker franchise. It's one of the most important pieces of Russian sci-fi.

It also inspired Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky. Really nails the "I'll never feel happiness again" aspect of the genre and has a pretty interesting take on life after the apocalypse, with a few thousand survivors subsisting in the Moscow metro after nuclear war.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

The Martian Chronicles goes from hope and ambition through destruction and aftermath, if that counts.
For a while I only considered the last few stories part of "post-apocalypse" literature. I'd actually say that pretty much all of it is themed around the idea of the transience of culture. The first few have the definite setup of an apocalypse tale, like a vignette of Spanish conquistadors arriving in South America or patient zero in a zombie outbreak. Then you've got tales of children playing with the bones of martians before they're eradicated by the firemen sent to remove the last traces of martian civilization, and Usher II, where an entire essay could be written on how the temporality of "timeless" art is reflected in their re-enactment as performance art.

Lotish posted:

I wouldn't necessarily put it down as post-apocalyptic. I'd say it's more about humanity's relationship with the unknown. Human society, while it reacts to the Visitation and is eager to get it's hands on new toys, it's largely unaffected. The zones are no threat to it, but like space or Everest are deadly because of our own greed, curiosity, bravado, and desperation.

I'd suggest grabbing as many short stories as you can. They're modular, quick to read and don't require the destructive process of extracting or abridging.
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, by Harlan Ellison
Twilight, by John W. Campbell (he's a racist shitheel and this opinion shows through, but it's still probably one of the best works about the dying earth theme)
The Last Question, by Issac Asimov (as a short companion if the above is used)

Triffids is definitely essential to covering the idea of the "cozy catastrophe", although it might not be worth fitting the whole novel into the curriculum.

I'd say that certain scenes from the Mad Max trilogy are also essential to having a comprehensive view of the genre.

mrtillo posted:

If your friend is a complete sadist, he could include a selection from the Left Behind series. They're awful, lovely books with awful, lovely theology and thinly veiled awful, lovely politics written by a "biblical prophecy expert" and the erstwhile author of preachy sports-comic strip Gil Thorp, but they do represent a very particular strand of Western Evangelical apocalyptic discourse.
While we haven't come up with a good reading for it, the class wouldn't be complete without discussing the genre's relationship with an undercurrent of the foul nihilism of millenarianism (both religious and secular)

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

naughty_penguin posted:

I can't believe nobody mentioned Alas, Babylon. It's one of the original nuclear age post apocalyptic novels.

Seconded. Aside from being very well written, it covers a multitude of topics and was written long before the scene became popular. As such, it dealt with a number of interesting social issues as shown by the time. Plus, it was one of the few books that made me understand the fear of the era.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I made a thread about this in a/t a few years ago, and I think I compiled some 30-40 suggestions into the OP, in case anyone has archives. (I don't)

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

John Charity Spring posted:

Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake. A different kind of apocalypse from the usual, and it's a very personal tale that weaves together how the apocalypse actually happened and also what life is like after it.

Lots of stuff for students to examine, too, from all the commentary on consumerism and class issues to the religious parallels and themes.
I was going to recommend this as well. Many themes suitable for class discussion like the ones mentioned, plus environment , technology, and gender.

frenchnewwave fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 26, 2012

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

frenchnewwave posted:

I was going to recommend this as well. Many themes suitable for class discussion like the ones mentioned, plus environment , technology, and gender.

The "prequel," The Year of the Flood, is also pretty good.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

RBA Starblade posted:

It also inspired Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky. Really nails the "I'll never feel happiness again" aspect of the genre and has a pretty interesting take on life after the apocalypse, with a few thousand survivors subsisting in the Moscow metro after nuclear war.

Why is the hardcover going for nearly $1,000 on Amazon?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Argali posted:

Why is the hardcover going for nearly $1,000 on Amazon?

I have no idea. I bought the paperback english translation from there for about $10. :staredog:

Alvie
May 22, 2008

I just want to second Riddley Walker.

It's a really interesting take on the post-apocalypse idea dealing with a society that has collapsed back into barbarism, and the events leading up to the rediscovery of one of civilization's more dangerous technologies.

I could see students hating the prose, though. It's written in this weird made-up dialect the author imagined as the end-game of the degeneration of the English language. I love it, personally, but it requires a sort of mental gear-shift to get into.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Poutling posted:

PD James' The Children of Men seems like a good and obvious choice for a class like this, especially with the very well regarded movie from a few years ago.

Pah! That book is nothing but a cheeky rip- off of Brian Aldiss's far superior Greybeard. So, choose that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Lotish posted:

But the short story isn't really post-apocalyptic in nature, despite what the movie and game adaptations did.

I would suggest The Night Land, A Story Retold by John Stoddard. Its a modern English version of Nightland by William H. Hodgson who wrote in really bizarre and almost unreadable prose.

Anyways, the story itself could be argued to have started the post-apocalyptic genre in the sense that its about humanity surviving after the collapse of civilization (or at least of the human domination of earth).

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 27, 2012

• Locked thread