Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das_Bass
Feb 11, 2014

Chillmatic posted:

Are there any good post-apocalyptic novels that don't involve:

1. Nuclear anything.

2. Aliens.

3. Vampires/monsters/mutants

?

I was thinking the other day what would a more creative way be of having a post-apocalyptic story happen? Most do seem to be zombies, nukes, nature or aliens? I've never read The Road, but don't they never really say what it was? Has anyone ever thought of a really creative one? I can't think of anything. I love the genre, but I do wish their was more in terms of the world ending part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Das_Bass posted:

I was thinking the other day what would a more creative way be of having a post-apocalyptic story happen? Most do seem to be zombies, nukes, nature or aliens? I've never read The Road, but don't they never really say what it was? Has anyone ever thought of a really creative one? I can't think of anything. I love the genre, but I do wish their was more in terms of the world ending part.

Not all of these are technically post-apocalyptic, as some are on a smaller scale, but off the top of my head these novels don't fall into the categories you mentioned:
Oryx and Crake, by Margaret Atwood
The Flame Alphabet, by Ben Marcus
The Dog Stars, by Peter Heller
Sweet Tooth, by Jeff Lemire
Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut

elbow fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 13, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Das_Bass posted:

I think you'll find most of the really inventive stuff in short stories. Like one (the name of which escapes me) where scientists ruin the world by developing a process that kills all the bacteria on the planet.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Speaking of short stories, has anyone here read the post-apocalyptic anthology by John Joseph Adams? I've read his anthology of dystopian stories and enjoyed it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

elbow posted:

Speaking of short stories, has anyone here read the post-apocalyptic anthology by John Joseph Adams? I've read his anthology of dystopian stories and enjoyed it.

I recommended it early on in the thread. It is excellent.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Das_Bass posted:

It's been a long time since I've read the Road but I'm pretty sure that it was clear in the book that it was nuclear war that caused it.

I thought Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake had a very creative cause of the apocalypse. Most of the book deals with how the apocalypse came about over however many years and the post apocalyptic parts are just the framing device of the story.

Darin Bradley's Noise takes place almost entirely during the society collapsing parts of the apocalypse and also has an original and creative cause of it.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

I recommended it early on in the thread. It is excellent.
Cool, I might have to get that one as well, then.

savinhill posted:

It's been a long time since I've read the Road but I'm pretty sure that it was clear in the book that it was nuclear war that caused it.
Not at all, McCarthy left it very vague. I think the strongest signs pointed to something nature/weather related.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Das_Bass posted:

The Car Wars game books (kind of like CYOA books but with dice) had an interesting cause. A disease wipes out all grasses and cereals, which simultaneously causes mass starvation and desertification of most of the world as there is no grass to slow erosion. Legumes become the new staple food.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

elbow posted:

The sequel is coming out later this year or early next year as well. It was originally due out last year, but the kerfuffle with Night Shade threw a wrench in that. Adams has found a new publisher, though, so it's finally coming out.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

The Car Wars game books (kind of like CYOA books but with dice) had an interesting cause. A disease wipes out all grasses and cereals, which simultaneously causes mass starvation and desertification of most of the world as there is no grass to slow erosion. Legumes become the new staple food.

Oh, ripped off from No Blade of Grass then.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Zola posted:

Oh, ripped off from No Blade of Grass then.

I'll have to read that. And I'm a little disappointed that one of the coolest things about those books was a rip-off.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I am struggling through "From the Fire" right now.

It's about a super bitchy, schizophrenic, inept woman trying to survive a nuclear holocaust.

Guess how many words it took for her to climb a 10-rung ladder out of the shelter at one point? 50 words? 100 words?

Try six loving pages. Every person she had ever met in her entire life began talking to her, coaching her, cheering for her... And they have all been dead for a while.

What a loving chore this book is.

Das_Bass
Feb 11, 2014

Spermy Smurf posted:

I am struggling through "From the Fire" right now.

It's about a super bitchy, schizophrenic, inept woman trying to survive a nuclear holocaust.

Guess how many words it took for her to climb a 10-rung ladder out of the shelter at one point? 50 words? 100 words?

Try six loving pages. Every person she had ever met in her entire life began talking to her, coaching her, cheering for her... And they have all been dead for a while.

What a loving chore this book is.

Reminds me of a creative writing class I took in High School. This girl would spent 5 pages on how a characters dressed and looked. She was the Tolkien of how people dressed.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I read and enjoyed ''Soft Apocalypse'' if you're interested in a slow, economic collapse. Pretty depressing!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

elbow posted:

Not at all, McCarthy left it very vague. I think the strongest signs pointed to something nature/weather related.

I believe he stated in an interview that it was an asteroid.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

I believe he stated in an interview that it was an asteroid.

I can't tell whether you're being serious or not (McCarthy is notoriously reluctant to give interviews) but I'll take it at face value; it doesn't really matter if he said afterwards that he wrote it with an asteroid-scenario in mind if it's purposefully left unclear in the book itself. I like that it's never explained, personally.

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.
on the cause of the apocalypse in the Road, McCarthy in the Wall Street Journal:

quote:

WSJ: When you discussed making "The Road" into a movie with John, did he press you on what had caused the disaster in the story?

CM: A lot of people ask me. I don't have an opinion. At the Santa Fe Institute I'm with scientists of all disciplines, and some of them in geology said it looked like a meteor to them. But it could be anything—volcanic activity or it could be nuclear war. It is not really important. The whole thing now is, what do you do? The last time the caldera in Yellowstone blew, the entire North American continent was under about a foot of ash. People who've gone diving in Yellowstone Lake say that there is a bulge in the floor that is now about 100 feet high and the whole thing is just sort of pulsing. From different people you get different answers, but it could go in another three to four thousand years or it could go on Thursday. No one knows.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

janklow posted:

on the cause of the apocalypse in the Road, McCarthy in the Wall Street Journal:

That's interesting because a Yellowstone eruption is one of the possible disasters I thought likely from the clues available. In the flashbacks the man is preparing for the disaster, and he has several books about New Zealand visible in one of the scenes. I considered an asteroid strike but that wouldn't really explain the frequent small quakes years after everything is covered in ash, and you would want to be on the other side of the world when that Yellowstone blows up.

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

That's interesting because a Yellowstone eruption is one of the possible disasters I thought likely from the clues available. In the flashbacks the man is preparing for the disaster, and he has several books about New Zealand visible in one of the scenes. I considered an asteroid strike but that wouldn't really explain the frequent small quakes years after everything is covered in ash, and you would want to be on the other side of the world when that Yellowstone blows up.
i think the interesting conflict to me is that on the one hand, McCarthy is probably telling the truth when he has no opinion, because it doesn't really matter, i suppose... but on the other, we know how seriously he takes constructing his books, so it seems WEIRD that he really wouldn't have SOME opinion about what the cause was.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

janklow posted:

i think the interesting conflict to me is that on the one hand, McCarthy is probably telling the truth when he has no opinion, because it doesn't really matter, i suppose... but on the other, we know how seriously he takes constructing his books, so it seems WEIRD that he really wouldn't have SOME opinion about what the cause was.

I don't know... it seemed to me like he had this really vivid image of a cold, dead Earth that he couldn't get out of his head. That's pretty much what The Road seemed like to me, a story written around that one image and nothing more.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Das_Bass posted:

I wish there were more stories about rebuilding. A lot of apocalypse stories overemphasize the destruction part and underestimate how well life is at regrowing, or they have to make some artificial reason why people can't just set up shop again.

For a clear example, in TWD they literally have to make the zombies effectively immortal until they get hit in the head because if they actually had to eat/drink/sleep/whatever like normal people do you'd never see another zombie after about 2 years.

the roon
May 1, 2014

object impermanence

computer parts posted:

I wish there were more stories about rebuilding. A lot of apocalypse stories overemphasize the destruction part and underestimate how well life is at regrowing, or they have to make some artificial reason why people can't just set up shop again.

For a clear example, in TWD they literally have to make the zombies effectively immortal until they get hit in the head because if they actually had to eat/drink/sleep/whatever like normal people do you'd never see another zombie after about 2 years.

World War Z does this. The zombie apocalypse actually only lasts a few or so and is mainly over by the winter when all the zombies freeze or get stuck in snow piles.

You're right in there not being enough reconstruction stories. Most seem to come soon after a disaster or way way after when things are 'normal' again.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
The Dell is a cheap online zombie story that goes into rebuilding.

Maybe not The Dell, forget the name. It's not badly written, and just remember that the main character has zero flaws and is effectively superman.

Edit:WE GO ON is the name

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
Just finished The Road and would strongly recommend it for anyone who likes bleak, post-apocalyptic books. It probably sets the standard.

Also just read Metro 2033 and Metro 2034. 2033 is pretty good, and 2034 is B+ at best, fairly mediocre.

Would definitely recommend the Road to anyone who wants to start out in this genre, however.

Also, if you don't mind all the posturing about religion, A Canticle for Liebowitz is really good, though it's been done over several times.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
Also, just finished the Silo Saga, which is 5 novellas combined into the Wool Omnibus. They're really excellent, a sort of mystery meets Metro 2033. I found the first one a bit poorly written, but it definitely heats up after that and is well worth a look.

iminay
Dec 18, 2012
I was wondering if Equations of Life by Simon Morden would fall into the Post-Apocalypse category? I've heard some good things about it and it seems to have won an award (doesn't really mean anything, granted). If it does, worth reading?

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

iminay posted:

I was wondering if Equations of Life by Simon Morden would fall into the Post-Apocalypse category? I've heard some good things about it and it seems to have won an award (doesn't really mean anything, granted). If it does, worth reading?

Yes, the book and subsequent sequels definitely fall into the Post-Apocalypse category. This is one of my go-to recommendations, it's an awful lot of fun! If you want something really grimdark or Road-like, you will be disappointed, but if you like fast-paced airport novels, prepare for a treasure. If you have a Kindle, you can get the first three novels all together for $9.99, Amazon's beef with Hachette/Orbit notwithstanding.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
My wife has a short story idea in her head but was asking me if it's been done before. I'm not so sure, so let me ask here: has anyone read a dystopian novel where the government/corporations creates a drug and releases it into the world as a means of social control? My first thought was that Brave New World touches on this a bit with the soma concept, but my wife is thinking more of a dramatic version of the conspiracy theory behind stuff like how the government created and dispersed crack, etc.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Argali posted:

My wife has a short story idea in her head but was asking me if it's been done before. I'm not so sure, so let me ask here: has anyone read a dystopian novel where the government/corporations creates a drug and releases it into the world as a means of social control? My first thought was that Brave New World touches on this a bit with the soma concept, but my wife is thinking more of a dramatic version of the conspiracy theory behind stuff like how the government created and dispersed crack, etc.

Well, there's the movie Equilibrium.

iminay
Dec 18, 2012

Zola posted:

Yes, the book and subsequent sequels definitely fall into the Post-Apocalypse category. This is one of my go-to recommendations, it's an awful lot of fun! If you want something really grimdark or Road-like, you will be disappointed, but if you like fast-paced airport novels, prepare for a treasure. If you have a Kindle, you can get the first three novels all together for $9.99, Amazon's beef with Hachette/Orbit notwithstanding.

That's a great deal, grabbed it immediately. Some days you just want something deep and dark, and the other days you want to rush through an airport novel.. no shame in admitting that.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Argali posted:

I can't think of much off the top of my head, but even if there was it's an interesting enough idea that it's still worth writing and exploring. I'd definitely want to read it.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Argali posted:

My wife has a short story idea in her head but was asking me if it's been done before. I'm not so sure, so let me ask here: has anyone read a dystopian novel where the government/corporations creates a drug and releases it into the world as a means of social control?

I believe there was a Stephen King short story about a drug that virtually eliminated violent urges but eventually was found to have....unfortunate side effects. I think the discoverers of the substance released it into the atmosphere rather than the government, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JnnyThndrs posted:

I believe there was a Stephen King short story about a drug that virtually eliminated violent urges but eventually was found to have....unfortunate side effects. I think the discoverers of the substance released it into the atmosphere rather than the government, though.

That was the short story "The End of the Whole Mess" from Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

That was the short story "The End of the Whole Mess" from Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

Yeah, that was a weird but good one. Two brothers, one a child genius. They blast water from some kind of spring into a volcano, getting it into the atmosphere and having it rain down on earth - before realizing it turns everyone into child-like Alzheimer's patients.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

ravenkult posted:

I read and enjoyed ''Soft Apocalypse'' if you're interested in a slow, economic collapse. Pretty depressing!

This looks interesting, thanks!

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Argali posted:

Yeah, that was a weird but good one. Two brothers, one a child genius. They blast water from some kind of spring into a volcano, getting it into the atmosphere and having it rain down on earth - before realizing it turns everyone into child-like Alzheimer's patients.

What's kind of ironic about that story was that the genius had discovered that violent crime rates were much lower around this small town in Texas, and this was actually based on reality. The small town was near Waco, which got a reputation a few years later for some really violent stuff.

Das_Bass
Feb 11, 2014

Argali posted:

The Giver was pretty much like that. I read that when I was 14, so I forgot parts of it, but that made me think about it.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Das_Bass posted:

The Giver was pretty much like that. I read that when I was 14, so I forgot parts of it, but that made me think about it.

Huh. Looks like they've made a movie of it, coming out in August.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I think I tried this in the post the plot thread a few years back but didn't have any hits. Hopefully someone here knows what I'm talking about.

It was a short-story or novella that opens with how biologists can cause mosquito breeding rates to plummet and eventually wipe out malaria. Then it goes on about how man's aggression at a women is greatly increasing. To the point where after a few years a man will just kill any woman he sees on sight. And at the end there's flying saucers more or less openly flying around earth looking around. The entire metaphor being that humanity was the mosquitos and another race seeded us with something to get the planet after a generation.

Any clues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Hughlander posted:

I think I tried this in the post the plot thread a few years back but didn't have any hits. Hopefully someone here knows what I'm talking about.

It was a short-story or novella that opens with how biologists can cause mosquito breeding rates to plummet and eventually wipe out malaria. Then it goes on about how man's aggression at a women is greatly increasing. To the point where after a few years a man will just kill any woman he sees on sight. And at the end there's flying saucers more or less openly flying around earth looking around. The entire metaphor being that humanity was the mosquitos and another race seeded us with something to get the planet after a generation.

Any clues?

Sounds like The Screwfly Solution by James Tiptree Jr.

• Locked thread