Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41YLQDhCxyI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bXg-zg6pTc

Edit- This has my vote for best intro music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3dB0qEcG20

Hekk fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

GOG has all the old Myst games on their site too.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am on a Zelda kick right now. I have been playing Wind Waker on my Wii U but got a little burnt out trying to get everything in the game. So I switched over to playing A Link Between Worlds on the 3ds. It reminds me a lot of the SNES Zelda that was really fun.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Christoff posted:

I think it's funny they're re-re-re-releasing FF7 on PS4. But it's the steam version released in like 2012. And they made a big fuss about it lol

The trailer showed SD video in a smaller window than full screen. I kept waiting for the cropping to go away and them show FF7 was somehow remastered or whatever. Instead, they try to hype up a port of a port of an 18 year old game. Also the PC port was lovely because the music was all low quality midis.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

holocaust bloopers posted:

An understanding of Japanese culture derived entirely from The Last Samurai starring Tom Cruise and Ken Watanabe.

The only way to erase this shame is by committing seppuku.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Is that a real genre of games? Like super young cartoon girls in weird sexually suggestive situations? I must live in a cave or something because I've been playing games since the 80s and didn't know that poo poo was real.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Two Finger posted:

Did anyone else buy that pack? I'm just finishing downloading the last of them now, let's get some Hamachi action going. I say we play generals so half of us can be terrorists and the other half can be freedom-loving patriots or communist serfs

Suicide bombers in terrorists were the poo poo. That game was so much fun. Too bad I can't play it on a mac. My PC cooling fans are all hosed up and clicking because my god drat cat sheds so much hair the inside of the case looks like a giant furball.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

My body is ready, Gearbox, ship the space ships!

Freespace was made by the same dudes who made the Descent games right? The only PC spaceship games I remember really playing were the X series. I still have X3 Albion Prelude but it's a pain in the rear end and not really that much fun starting out.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ded posted:

Obliv quality graphics you say? So the wiiu is stepped up to an xbox360 quality? Wow.

:lol: if you've bought a Nintendo console for the graphics.

The Wii U is about as strong as a 360 with more memory available to do poo poo like suspend games and open the store at the same time. However, there are a lot of really fun games that Nintendo makes and I play mine more than my PS4.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Spicy Guacamole posted:

You know, goons are some whiny bitches, but you gotta admit: it would be pretty rad if somebody made a game that was essentially Silent Hunter III in Space.

We all have dreams.

Silent Hunter is the poo poo. There is nothing like the feeling of dread when depth charges explode all around you as you listen to the metal creaking from the emergency dive and change in pressure.

Also, I really enjoy surfacing and slowly destroying merchant vessels with the deck gun.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Godholio posted:

SimCity 2000 free in Origin. I think it's today only.

It's the DOS version though which has a shittier UI than the Windows version did if I remember correctly.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I haven't booted up my pc in a week because one of the cooling fans is clicking like it is trying to work but can't. I imagine it wouldn't be too expensive to purchase replacements and install them but I mostly post from my macbook and I have been playing console games lately.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Holly I know you're a closet flight sim sperg. You have a HOTAS.

Saitek X45 was always my favorite.

Also curious about this Elite game. Is it always multiplayer or can you play solo?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I bought this space trucker game because GIP was playing it. Now I just need to figure out what it is.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Lazy Reservist posted:

It's a space trucking game where you blow up other space truckers and sell the poo poo they were trucking for money and buy a better ship so you can blow up more space truckers.

Ok sounds good enough. Hopefully the stars look less terrible than they did in X3. I am downloading this now so we will see how things go.

edit- Do we get radio stations with lovely euro techno music like Euro Truck Simulator 2?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

krispykremessuck posted:

Yeah, I'd say they look less terrible than in X3.

Looks good. I have downloaded the single player tutorials and am working on the full game right now. Too bad I can't play through the single player stuff while downloading the actual game. Also, I have no idea how you guys are playing with game pads. I tried a dogfight and immediately went to the garage to dig out my flight stick. I don't have my X45 anymore so the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro will have to do for now.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I passed all the combat tutorials but explode my ship trying to dock it. I think I am going to have to bind the vertical thrust keys to something.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

This Elite game is hard. So far I've managed to:

1) Undock
2) Attempt to fly to new system, instead fly into sun and explode
3) Undock
4) Fly to new system and request permission to dock
5) Have docking permission denied, accidentally fire weapons when trying to figure out how to call contacts
6) Explode when station shoots me

I am like 10k in debt or something now and still have no idea what's going on. I am going to go look for tutorials and poo poo.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Why is it that the large stations are easy as hell to dock in but the small ones never want to recognize my ship is landed on the correct landing pad? I have stopped playing twice now because I can't dock.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Because you're facing the wrong direction. Rotate your ship on the Y axis and check the minimap.

Fuckin A, you were right. I got it now thanks. Now to start being a space trader/trucker.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Carteret posted:

This is what I'm worried about.

I need a flight stick anyway.

I bought Elite Dangerous and it's fun enough but retrieving the flight stick from the garage had me looking at civilian aviation sims. One Steam sale later and I now have Microsoft Flight Sim X and X-Plane 10 that I've been loving around with more than ED.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Elite isn't all that great. I can't stomach the idea of burning a dozen hours doing loving lovely trade questing to earn a ship that does more trading or whatever. I kinda regret dropping the money on it.

You should show me how the gently caress I am supposed to be flying poo poo in X-Plane. I just figured out how to work the GPS and autopilot on the Beechcraft Baron.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Like for landings or takeoffs? Honestly the best way to learn is to read how it's done in real life. Practice, practice, practice.

Mainly how to talk to ATC and program radios and stuff. I can take off and land and navigate ok now.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Bolow posted:

Not pictured, me blowing this idiot up

He's a libertarian

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Helldump Immunity. posted:

We should get a DCS A-10 squadron going :smith:

Or at least loving with the sim spergs on Xplane or whatever.

I don't have a HOTAS anymore. My Saitek X45 died years ago and I've simply been loving around with a Logitech 3d Extreme or whatever it's called. If I can play with something that cheap and someone can show me what the gently caress I am supposed to be doing I would be down for whatever.

I know how to fly WWII poo poo and civilian planes but I've never done modern military jets before.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

The A-10 is stupidly easy to fly. Matter of fact, modern combat aircraft are generally very simple to fly. Managing the systems while blowing poo poo up is the difficult part. That being said, the A-10 systems are pretty easy to learn. Something like launching a Maverick involves finding a target, designating it as a target, slave the weapon to the target, blow it the gently caress up. That's about as complex as it gets. There is a wealth of youtube tutorials showing practically every phase of flight. Learning a sim is about the time and effort you put into it.

I don't mind spending time to learn aircraft but I am not interested in spending 45+ minutes on preflight checklists like I see on all the DCS youtube videos. I played the hell out of the IL2 games and learned a lot about flying prop planes doing it. I bought Falcon 4.0 back when it was released but never really got into modern stuff because I didn't know anyone else who liked jets.

I can't learn everything at once and I've been spending a lot of time on civilian aircraft on X-Plane. If other GIPPERS want to do the A-10 thing on DCS, I will commit to learning whatever I need to but I don't want to spend the time and money doing it if others aren't going to follow through.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 25, 2014

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Going to go full in on a HOTAS, 3 monitors, TrackIR, etc once I find out about my job. Then it's on.

What HOTAS are you looking at? I've been eyeballing the CH stuff but it's a big investment for a proper setup.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I bought the A10C for DCS World. This thing has a 671 page manual! :psypop:

Thankfully the tutorials seem fairly in depth so far. I am going to spend some messing around with it while I try to convince myself that I don't really need an expensive HOTAS.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mike-o posted:

is this generation of kids more whiny and entitled than our own, or am i just becoming a cranky rear end get off my lawn old gently caress?

To be fair, not being able to access online poo poo on your PS4 kind of sucks. We set aside time for my son to play video games with his cousin across the country and haven't been able to do it. It's not the end of the world but it is an inconvenience.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Dual Shock 4 makes for an excellent PC controller. Using DS4Tool, the trackpad functions as the mouse. That alone puts it miles ahead of the Xbox controller.

DS4 is infinitely better than the DS3 but I could never get used to trying to use the trackpad as a mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

2015 Thread

• Locked thread