Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Guessing most of the people that read this thread have seen it already, but The Admiral: Roaring Currents (명량) is available on netflix streaming now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Pieta and Moebius are really awesome.

:dogbutton: Pieta is..something alright.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I really need to go back and watch all of Kim Ki-Duk's films. He's the one SK director I feel the most affinity for.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I love the dukman he's the best.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

astr0man posted:

Guessing most of the people that read this thread have seen it already, but The Admiral: Roaring Currents (명량) is available on netflix streaming now.

I watched this last night and it was a pretty awesome movie! I didn't even realize Koreans made movies like that.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

KaptainKrunk posted:

Stay far, far away from the recent string of soulless action/revenge thrillers that include Commitment, Hwayi: The Monster Boy, Hide and Seek, The Suspect and Monster.

They're all horrible.

Monster Boy was pretty good. :shrug:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just watched A Hard Day (Kkeut-kka-ji-gan-da) and it was a really enjoyable and fun, if pretty silly, thriller. I wasn't sure what it was going for tone-wise; a hard-boiled cop drama or tongue-in-cheek dark comedy but it somehow managed to balance the two. The first thirty minutes or so were pretty hilarious though.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I feel like I've been a bit out of the loop with Korean cinema lately, but whenever I look around I don't really see great things released either.

What amazing films have come out the last two years and have their been any fresh new directors I should be keeping an eye on from the same timeframe?

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I just watched korean movie Assassination recently and I like it very much. More serious than The Thieves(same director) but the action and setting seems cooler.

Here, a gif of a sick-rear end moment in the movie

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I liked Assassination but the portrayal of how evil the Japanese occupiers were was kind of over the top, even for a Korean movie. i.e. the Japanese officer just outright murdering the one girl in the street for no reason

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

astr0man posted:

i.e. the Japanese officer just outright murdering the one girl in the street for no reason
They've done worse things than that in real life

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Fat Care-Bear posted:

I'm familiar with the history and I get that. I still thought it took away from the movie some :shrug:

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010

Volkerball posted:

:dogbutton: Pieta is..something alright.

Moebius is even more :dogbutton:.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Pieta and Moebius loving rule.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm trying to find the name of a South Korean movie I saw snippets of on AMC recently (around a month ago). It starred some sort of former cop or government agent who had his wife or girlfriend die in a car bomb in front of him. There was a scene where he was handcuffed and interrogated by clumsy-ish cops, and escaped when someone made a distraction for him. The movie ended with a rad fight scene where he was wearing a black suit and wielding a knife, taking out tons of goons and finally the villain. At the end he had a scene with a young girl, presumably the person he was trying to rescue.

I kind of tuned in and out, and it being on at like 3 a.m. didn't help, but I liked the bits I saw and want to check it out in full. If this sounds like a movie you've seen, I could use a point in the right direction. Thanks!

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

NowonSA posted:

I'm trying to find the name of a South Korean movie I saw snippets of on AMC recently (around a month ago). It starred some sort of former cop or government agent who had his wife or girlfriend die in a car bomb in front of him. There was a scene where he was handcuffed and interrogated by clumsy-ish cops, and escaped when someone made a distraction for him. The movie ended with a rad fight scene where he was wearing a black suit and wielding a knife, taking out tons of goons and finally the villain. At the end he had a scene with a young girl, presumably the person he was trying to rescue.

I kind of tuned in and out, and it being on at like 3 a.m. didn't help, but I liked the bits I saw and want to check it out in full. If this sounds like a movie you've seen, I could use a point in the right direction. Thanks!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1527788/

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

NowonSA posted:

Ajoesshi or "The man from nowhere"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1527788/

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ah yep that's totally it. Good job, glad I asked the A team.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Beauty Inside was a nice romantic movie :)

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I just watched Unbowed, and drat I've never seen a kangaroo court like that. I kept hoping the prosecutor would at least motion to drop the charges or something. I couldn't believe it when The prosecutor's admitted that there was no proof at all the crime happened, and the judge was just like "good enough for me!" It's not the happy ending where he throws his innocence in everyone's face and gets acquitted, but I do take solace in that he only served his original 4 year sentence and spent a big chunk of his sentence throwing eggs at the judicial system.

Overall a good movie, I give it a solid B grade.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Is it mostly a courtroom drama?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is it mostly a courtroom drama?

The focus is on a court case, but there's a lot of scenes outside the court that build up the lawyer's character and scenes of the accused in jail, etc. For me the highlight was watching him straight up shame people by quoting law statutes at them, but only around 25% of the movie takes place in the courtroom.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ah, damnit. I'll check it out anyway.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fat Care-Bear posted:

Yeah that actually seems very tame and even compassionate by the standards of the Japanese Empire.

Those guys were dicks.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Had two 16 hour flights in the span of two weeks, so I watched a bunch of Korean films on their system to pass the time:

Assassination. Liked it, somebody else went over it earlier in the thread and pretty much nailed why I didn't like it.
Northern Line Limit. Eh. Too much 'KOREA IS AWESOME,' kind of like United 93.
Enemies-in-Law. A nice lighter comedy/romance film. I'm glad I watched it to break up the monotony.
Veteran. Probably my favorite film of the flight, ending was way too predictable though.
Perfect Proposal. Good suspense, reminded me a lot of Gone Girl.

For me it was Veteran > Assassination > Perfect Proposal = Enemies-in-Law > Northern Line Limit

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
Memories of Murder is on Hulu and Amazon Video.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I just watched Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance for the first time. It's probably my least favorite of the trilogy, but still very enjoyable. That ending, holy poo poo. I almost died laughing when the actual communist terrorists showed up.

Also, when they found the family of the engineer and that little boy dead in the hovel, what was going on there? It didn't look like a murder suicide situation so did they all just die of fan death or something?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Esme posted:

Also, when they found the family of the engineer and that little boy dead in the hovel, what was going on there? It didn't look like a murder suicide situation so did they all just die of fan death or something?

They said the father fed them all pesticide, so yes, murder suicide

This is one of my favorite movies, Korean or not. The ending is just so perfect. Everybody dies

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

ladron posted:

They said the father fed them all pesticide, so yes, murder suicide

This is one of my favorite movies, Korean or not. The ending is just so perfect. Everybody dies

Ah, thanks, I must have missed that line.

You know, I think I would have liked the movie a lot more if it weren't for the sound direction. The constant, obtrusive background noises during otherwise silent scenes gave me a headache. I can see why they did it that way, and I think it was a really clever choice, but it also had me cringing through half the movie and made certain scenes feel interminable.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Last night I went to a showing of the film Night Song (Sam-nye), which I liked well enough but more importantly I found it to be fantastically put together; you could tell there was a lot of care and craft in it. I doubt this film will ever be released in many places (I saw it at a film festival) but I'm wondering if maybe the director is better known in Korea, and if there are other films I might be able to find by her.
Her name is Lee Hyun-Jung and without knowing Korean there's no way I can search for her (since every search engine is convinced I'm an idiot looking for Lee Jung Hyun). Is she well-known at all?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
이현정 is her name in hangeul, try searching for that. I'm on my phone so I can't look her up myself but there are a few sites with pretty comprehensive lists of Korean movies, if the film was at an international festival it should be really easy to find.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Seems like the biggest results for that are an actress/comedian , so there's even more name confusion.

I had the idea to go with the movie's stars: Kim Bo Ra and Lee Sun Ho, but there doesn't seem to be a listing yet (still looking on Bo-ra's site). I don't know if this is too new (or too small?) to show up. There was another actor I recognized in a bit part as a movie producer, but I don't recall his name.

I'm pretty sure they mentioned her having directed other films, but I missed part of the post-film discussion. The director was actually there herself (and I spoke a few words of thanks to her but wasn't thinking to ask about anything at the time). I've been looking through the image search and nothing rings a bell so far, but it's hard to tell between a photo and a person met briefly in a dim theater. The film itself was sort of a strange drama/uncertain romance, a mix of optimism with a sense of foreboding, deliberately ambiguous and a little disorienting at times.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Try 이현정 감독 (Lee Hyun-jung director)

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/jsp/films/index/peopleView.jsp?peopleCd=20168120

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
She did Virgin Forest which i found very impressive. It's a slow, sparse and towards the end very experimental docu-fiction thing on grieving - how much is enough, how much gets through, how should one go about it - with concern paid to how gender affects things. Definite promise of great things to come, and your and others' report of Night Song make it seem like that's been met. She's made one other film called Echo of the Dragon but i haven't seen it yet.

http://asianwiki.com/Lee_Hyun-Jung_-_director is a page on her. Night song isn't up on there yet.

The podcast Korean Cinema Today did a nice interview with her a while ago (in English). Episode 32 on this page here.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Thanks for the help in finding her, I'll definitely check out Virgin Forest.

Night Song has grown on me the more I think about it. It could be characterized as sparse and moderately slow, and confounding at times, there is a definite sense that it's not just thrown together. The sound design in particular is amazing. It seemed clear that she created the film meticulously but she said she really wants it to be open to audience interpretation. For instance, there are odd 'dream' sequences of a star/eclipse/something cosmic that lend to the portentous feeling. Like many elements it is never fully explained, although in response to a question she revealed that the protagonist is reading Hermann Hesse's Demian and those shots are meant as an egg/rebirth symbol inspired by the book.

There is a fair amount of social commentary sprinkled in as well. The opening has some drunk guy in a bar arguing about racial purity and it would not be out of place in an American context. Although the story seems slightly self-indulgent (a filmmaker is struggling to come up with a script, goes to the countryside where he meets a vibrant teenage girl) it pushes beyond that in showing how a young woman like that might actually feel and be treated. I kind of liked that it wasn't just trying to subvert the 'manic pixie dream girl' formula outright.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just saw Castaway on the Moon (Kimssi pyoryugi) and it's just a wonderful movie. Genuinely funny and pretty sweet and I've rarely gotten to call a movie quirky and have it be a positive thing but this movie is quirky in the best possible sense.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Just saw Pieta...

I thought it was okay. It was too fast in the pacing and I felt that this is almost two films in one with how the story progresses and changes.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Wailing (Goksung) is nuts. It's a long movie and packs a whole lot in there but as far as a horror movie goes it's creepy as all gently caress and unrelentingly dark.

E: Also watched Kiss Me, Kill Me (Kilme) and aside from a couple of bits that got a laugh out of me I didn't care for it. Tonally all over the place and complete schmaltz at the end.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 20, 2016

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
부산행 (Train to Busan) was a fun movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

astr0man posted:

부산행 (Train to Busan) was a fun movie.

The previews made it feel a little too "World War Z"-ish to me. I've been hearing a lot of good things though, so I might try to sneak out and catch it this weekend.

• Locked thread