Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Gegil posted:

if you delete that soul and make a new one on your subscription account would you still be a criminal?

I don't think so, but can't confirm it either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
No, but you're deleting your soul so it's basically deleting your old account and transferring your subscription to a new one. The only way to keep all your poo poo is to mail it to another account for safekeeping.

With the amount of Goons who are criminals I think we should just take control of Twilight Alley and make it out new home. Don't be afraid of the red flashing.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
You get two souls per account, I'm not sure I see the reason in deleting the old soul.

I got my first PVP action in the other day. Apparently I'm super high level as nobody could kill me. I'm also really bad at aiming swings, luckily most people go down in a few bats.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Bashez posted:

You get two souls per account
I don't believe this is true anymore. I see no way to create a second soul when logging in.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Richard M Nixon posted:

I don't believe this is true anymore. I see no way to create a second soul when logging in.

Now that I think about it, you briefly get the message "skipping soul selection" and it immediately jumps into typing in your soul pin. I don't know.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Why did everyone quit? Please come back. I miss you.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I've been playing a bunch of Fire Emblem: Awakening. Sorry for being away for so long. :shobon:

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

So far the underground dragoon ruins have been pretty easy. It was just a short test run, however.

I'm surprised the game has been duoable thus far, I was expecting to need a group for Old Sewers for sure.

I think this is about the time when a lot of people begin to peter out and we'll see who remains. Somehow I don't think it will be many people.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
As a porkul thief ive been having one helluva time doing anything in the sewers without a group.

In a group im a monster though so ill stick to that.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I've only been on for short spurts as my character isn't easily soloable at high levels and as a criminal it's pretty drat tough to find parties. I was hoping with all the red goons that we'd be running groups without issue so status didn't matter, but I'm experiencing some pretty deep regret about my grudge against the world lately...

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, the criminal penalty is just too drat high. No one in their right mind will party with a criminal, not even other criminals since you cant trust them not to stab you in the back and steal your poo poo when youre at low HP.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

So, that was an interesting first little session. Got my rear end handed to me by a zombie in the first non-tutorial dungeon because I accidentally hit the help button that's on the hotbar by default and took too long fumbling around with it. And then my laptop's battery died later and instead of disconnecting me meant I spent a good 15 minutes getting nibbled on by a beetle so now all my equipment in beat up as hell.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011
Sorry guys, I went to the EU server and I don't want to give up the lower latency I'm getting here :(

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
are there more goons on EU? its sparse here on the NA server.

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
I was away for a week or so because my motherboard died, I'm back now and I'm still planning on playing the game for a while.

The only problem for me is that I really desperately want my main to be a mage, but I also want to be useful, so you can see my dilemma.

I'm at the Golden Dragon ruins 2nd(2th?) floor and I think the group of creepy but reliable pubs I was playing with has gotten way past there now, and might not be up for redoing it, so if anyone wants to group up and help pull my pathetic fireball-throwing elf through a couple dungeons, I'd be super grateful.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Rogues seem really helpful for trap disarming (incredibly needed in higher dungeons) and they dish out awesome damage from behind. If you're in a goon party, you'll likely have a tank and healer so you can safely just stand behind something and smash it to death.

Oh, and criminals can't attack party members.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, I haven't had the connection problems experienced earlier since the middle of this week. This game is fun. Just don't make your first character a mage. We need more peeps so we can ash pubbies and have all the money.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
Hey Crown, hop in mumble I'll help you get through GDR

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I still dream of getting a player killer party going and combining the fun of grinding dungeon mobs for xp and loot with the Real Fun of slaying lovely pubbies and stealing their loot (hopefully quest items...)

Fighters do unfortunately seem to be the god kings of the game and can slaughter without fear of death or rusty armor. Nobody else comes close. Thieves do nasty damage in pvp and hit so incredibly fast. They've gotta be up there.

As a reminder, anyone who has unlocked a dungeon or dark orb statue on one char on a soul will unlock them for any alts you make. We can also grind an alt from lv 1 to 10 in about 10 minutes, provided they are up to aria reservoir.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Richard M Nixon posted:

I still dream of getting a player killer party going and combining the fun of grinding dungeon mobs for xp and loot with the Real Fun of slaying lovely pubbies and stealing their loot (hopefully quest items...)

Fighters do unfortunately seem to be the god kings of the game and can slaughter without fear of death or rusty armor. Nobody else comes close. Thieves do nasty damage in pvp and hit so incredibly fast. They've gotta be up there.

As a reminder, anyone who has unlocked a dungeon or dark orb statue on one char on a soul will unlock them for any alts you make. We can also grind an alt from lv 1 to 10 in about 10 minutes, provided they are up to aria reservoir.

Mages destroy warriors.

Thiefs are pretty terrible because of their reach most the time, though hide attack can actually hit hard.

Alts have to reactivate guide posts but otherwise have full access to dungeons. This sucks for going to the dragoon ruins though, since it's not a new dungeon and just lower the sewers.

I have a habit of attacking any criminals I see, so good luck there!

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bashez posted:

Mages destroy warriors.

Thiefs are pretty terrible because of their reach most the time, though hide attack can actually hit hard.

Alts have to reactivate guide posts but otherwise have full access to dungeons. This sucks for going to the dragoon ruins though, since it's not a new dungeon and just lower the sewers.

Starting out as a mage is the ultimate in tedium, best to roll a mage as an alt after you reach Aria at least.

There are so many anime names and weaboos about, my bloodlust can't withstand much more. We need a red group to prowl with.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Gildiss posted:

Starting out as a mage is the ultimate in tedium, best to roll a mage as an alt after you reach Aria at least.

There are so many anime names and weaboos about, my bloodlust can't withstand much more. We need a red group to prowl with.
I'll be there for you, buddy. My one-time "I guess it can't hurt to cast a few heals" has set me so far into the grudge against the world that I'm just smashing faces whenever I can. Usually that entails me casting a few spells and barely nicking someone's HP and then they cleave me once for most of my health and I run the gently caress away. Still, it entertains.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Bashez posted:

Mages destroy warriors.

Mages are actually pretty awful at one on one PVP, as far as I know. Their cast times are crippling and they're pretty much dead once they get hit. They get much better at level 20, when they can get invest flame, but by that point you're better off switching to a thief and just porting the spell over for the extra survivability and the huge damage boosts from the backstab tree.

Thieves are pretty decent in PVP, too. The speed of daggers and knuckles lets you stunlock other players while hide gives you an option to leave the fight and take it on your own terms. They can also heal much more readily than fighters, and have poison traps that really ruin the day of anyone dumb enough to step in them (which is a surprising amount of people).

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 10, 2013

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Miijhal posted:

Mages are actually pretty awful at one on one PVP, as far as I know. Their cast times are crippling and they're pretty much dead once they get hit. They get much better at level 20, when they can get invest flame, but by that point you're better off switching to a thief and just porting the spell over for the extra survivability and the huge damage boosts from the backstab tree.

Thieves are pretty decent in PVP, too. The speed of daggers and knuckles lets you stunlock other players while hide gives you an option to leave the fight and take it on your own terms. They can also heal much more readily than fighters, and have poison traps that really ruin the day of anyone dumb enough to step in them (which is a surprising amount of people).

I just meant that they do a lot of damage to warriors as opposed to everything else that cannot scratch them. They'll die if poked.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

:toot:

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
What does union level do anyhow? Increase the amount of members you can have or does it give actual statbuffs?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Small stat buffs, increased union member cap, access to union storage and rooms.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

:iamafag: We are awesome! I should have 100 SP sometime tomorrow.

On a more serious note, I've spent a few hours playing Dungeons and Dragons Online today after Wizardry bought up fond memories. What used to be a good D&D game has been revamped into an amazing D&D-based dungeon crawl that plays smooth as butter. It has zero PVP to speak of but the PVE content is every ounce of what I dream of Wizardry being. I don't know if any of you have tried it before (it's improved MASSIVELY) but perhaps it's worth a peek to anyone with the spare 2gb disk space. There is so much content and a much deeper experience than WO is offering. I'll certainly be back for a bit of WO but DDO is scratching an itch quite nicely.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
Any other goons playing DDO still? I played previously and wouldn't mind a delve back into those lands.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Anyone tried the thief skill Steal Attack? Does it suck?

All I seem to get when I search for info is discussion on how stealing from other players works...

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Tagra posted:

Anyone tried the thief skill Steal Attack? Does it suck?

All I seem to get when I search for info is discussion on how stealing from other players works...

I have absolutely no idea, but the more important thing is if it's taking off the loot table. If it does it isn't worth poo poo (if you're grouping with friends).

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Its a waste of a skillpoint. I had four ranks in it before i wised up and not once did i manage to steal anything but poo poo.

The chance to steal is pathetic to boot, even on a low HP target youre attacking from behind.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Dear Sirs,
How far should you really go soul-level wise with one dude before you start messing with useless alts?
Has anyone really seen over 12 in bonus points? Because seriously :(
Why does my fat dwarf fighter suck at wearing poo poo. I have to take off my damned pants in order to wield a 2-hander. :( FML i need more strength.

Also, pretty cool for a free game. Other than the stupid jump near Mikhail in the optional kaoka ruins, because that is retarded, and I only got out of there twice (talking to him first time, giving him the item he wanted) by eventually dying to the one hit wonder that roams under the jump :(

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

glug posted:

Dear Sirs,
How far should you really go soul-level wise with one dude before you start messing with useless alts?
Why does my fat dwarf fighter suck at wearing poo poo. I have to take off my damned pants in order to wield a 2-hander. :( FML i need more strength.

Also, pretty cool for a free game. Other than the stupid jump near Mikhail in the optional kaoka ruins, because that is retarded, and I only got out of there twice (talking to him first time, giving him the item he wanted) by eventually dying to the one hit wonder that roams under the jump :(

At least level 3 so you can start collecting soul materials in the background.

It took me like 4 points in the weight skill to be able to run on my dwarf, and I think Vit increases the weight limit.

While running you jump much further. That jump is easy to make doing that, almost impossible otherwise.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011
Being over your weight limit isn't that bad - sure, it's annoying to have to unequip your weapon when you need to jump somewhere, but running slowly doesn't hurt a fighter as much as it hurts other classes in combat.

gdsfjkl fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 12, 2013

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Jesus, how did it never cross my mind to sprint.

:(

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

glug posted:

I got 24 bonus points when making my priest. I am a lucky son-of-a-bitch. I was only shooting for 12, too.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

There is a very angry post on the official forums (I guess the latest of many) regarding how unfair it is that you have to roll for DAYS on end to get the high rolls you need in order to be gosu. I don't know why I read the official forums, given the amount of pure garbage that is found there. Oh well, entertainment...

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

glug posted:

Dear Sirs,

When your alt has a 50% exp boost (and he can kill guys that also give soul points). My friend is going to grandfather his warrior soon so he's going to have his level + 16 skills and it's going to be awesome.

My friend has rolled maybe like 8 13-15s. My other friend got 56 in a few minutes of rolling and his thief is unreasonably good. I've not seen outside the 6-12 band.

As was said vitality is the carry poo poo stat. It's hugely important for fighters as it's also your defense stat (and in combat movement speed, apparently). If you can't step (spacebar jump) you've gimped yourself as a fighter unless you're fighting trivial things. Forge your gear to get it to drop weight as well. Eat vitality food at the tavern, it's usually enough to get you wearing what you want unless you've got a heavy belt and poo poo on too.

I'm in the dragoon ruins proper and holy gently caress I don't think there's a port in. Unless you find it a little deeper in than we had time to venture. You have to do an incredibly long run over a ton of traps just to get to the entrance of the dungeon, unless I'm missing something.

I'm slightly disappointed we haven't had to take a third to any parts of the game yet but it's still a lot of fun. The dragoon ruins seemed to have stepped up in difficulty, at least in traps. Traps are now lightning bolts that instant kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Where are you people :( Still using channel 8 everywhere?

• Locked thread