Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pagancow posted:

No it's more like complaining that the flip camera doesn't have a screen or viewfinder

youre right having perfect sync between all the different angles on my home movie about christmas imovie project is vital. cant even colour correct properly, imovie is trash and nobody should make professional content with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
lol if you think your dp's will ever sync their timecodes properly

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
timecode is cool and so are thjose fancy slates

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Smythe posted:

timecode is cool and so are thjose fancy slates

slates sure do make us look smart, but like timecode, scene references are one of those things we just "feel"

its why they dont shoot movie scenes in order; we show up in the morning and feel it out.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
apparently we changed codecs

thanks for telling me

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

what can you change to in cat os besides prores?

are you complaining that you are prores LT now or something?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ive never had a fancy slate - idk how they woprk rly. u sync the timecode across all ur cameras and audio and stuff? thats coal and would make work a lot ezier

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pagancow posted:

what can you change to in cat os besides prores?

are you complaining that you are prores LT now or something?

we were dvc pro hd

now we are pro res lt (because lol pro res is too much for fcp)

it's a good change but hey, i'm the finishing editor and should know that we're changing before i set up a project and wonder why everything is in the wrong aspect ratio

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
dell 24" 4k monitor is out

why is this only $1300 what is wrong with it

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pagancow??????why is this a pos?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

GOT VIRUS FROM MP3 posted:

pagancow??????why is this a pos?

he talked about it earlier. I think be said this might be okay but eventually dell will replace all the parts with crap but keep selling it as the same thing

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

we tried the u2413 at work and determined that all of them have green veiling no matter what viewing angle you are at

it has to do with the cheap polarizer they use in the display. I have no faith in sell that they are using a better polarizer

but hey! hardware lut support!!!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Here's a video of the problem in action it is not an exaggeration and they all come out of the box with some level of green veiling (idiots calling it "green tinted corners")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9seZgfrlUE

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
sad life nobody gets nice things for under 10k

a nest of hornets
Nov 17, 2012

by Ralp

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

pagancow posted:

Here's a video of the problem in action it is not an exaggeration and they all come out of the box with some level of green veiling (idiots calling it "green tinted corners")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9seZgfrlUE

holy moly

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

There is a NEC monitor for $600 that is pagancow approved for sRGB work.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_p232w.htm

If you have to run a video signal through it you still need to buy a YUV to RGB converter external to the box as it will only accept RGB signals

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
is there a yvcpos approved camcorder for non-technical women and children

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

iPhone 5s

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
pagancow is my idol

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Just so you know those shots are shot at a shameful 144° shutter angle because loving christmas lights aren't union quality constant on now and they flicker on and off

i must commit sudoku now

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

pagancow posted:

Just so you know those shots are shot at a shameful 144° shutter angle because loving christmas lights aren't union quality constant on now and they flicker on and off

i must commit sudoku now

just watched this and holy gently caress I am in awe

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

pagancow posted:

iPhone 5s

this is what I figured but she has bad data habits with her 4S
right now with the cameras I just occasionally throw a new SD card at her and it works

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
shooting video is the one thing that makes me wish the iphone had an sd card slot

such a pain on holidays etc. ended up syncing the iphone every night and deleting all videos (and panorama photos) from it

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

~Coxy posted:

shooting video is the one thing that makes me wish the iphone had an sd card slot

such a pain on holidays etc. ended up syncing the iphone every night and deleting all videos (and panorama photos) from it

Could you get one of those eyefi SD cards and use that to transfer to your PC over wifi?

http://support.eye.fi/downloads/ios-app/

seems like it may work

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i had 1 of those and it didint suit my kneeds idk dont rly remember why but it didnt work so good. might be better now

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
actually they may only work one way, camera with Sd card to pc, not wifi enabled device to PC with sd card

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
it's a good idea; in theory you could have a device that did that. iPhone case with a little battery and a SD card slot. auto-sync all photos and movies to the SD card over wifi, optionally deleting them as you go. app to be able to see them and play them back off the SD card over wifi. probably too edge-case and not marketable enough though

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
we have wifi sync
it just sucks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i am in awe

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

ahmeni posted:

this is what I figured but she has bad data habits with her 4S
right now with the cameras I just occasionally throw a new SD card at her and it works

I've always just bought the largest capacity so I don't know about file management.

I have used an iPhone 4S in a Production for a few shots. just make sure it's supposed to be a wide establishing shot and you'll get away with it after grading.

there are camera apps now that let you shoot 23.976 fps and adjust exposure manually now.

filmic pro does this and let's you transfer files to an FTP so there's that.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

So i had to calibrate my parent's TV because we watched a streaming movie on netflix and all the skin tones were super red, and the background was NOT the correct shade of teal.

I don't have my tools but I did it by eye, and gamma levels were correct again, and skin tones looked normal.

the teals are a little hosed but at least neutral colors are actually neutral again

~MY LIFE MY PRIDE IS BROKEN~

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

So i had to calibrate my parent's TV because we watched a streaming movie on netflix and all the skin tones were super red, and the background was NOT the correct shade of teal.

I don't have my tools but I did it by eye, and gamma levels were correct again, and skin tones looked normal.

the teals are a little hosed but at least neutral colors are actually neutral again

~MY LIFE MY PRIDE IS BROKEN~

how can i eyeball the right gamma setting

i am having the same problem on my parents tv

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

blue gun that poo poo yo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

i must commit sudoku now

yeah, i noticed that immediately and threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i ahve actually found grayscale patternts helpful in that regard. get that poo poo to neutral gray and white and you solve a lot of problems

some displays just suck tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

There's a 7.5 ire strip on a test pattern that should be barely visible when you set the darkness levels.

as for gamma curve that's really hard to adjust without a system menu and some sort of light measuring device.

• Locked thread