Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
sorry boys 145mbps DNxHD in a quicktime wrapper with a compressed premultiplied alpha channel is the lords true video format

works on my pos avid rig works for eberyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pagancow posted:

untill you have to color grade it and whoops

yeah it looks like that before the grade too, superior codec of choice for your business

also interlaced cuz its better but why is it better? just do it plz.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
xdcam50: great starting point or greatest?

"i mean its got like 8 audio tracks so im sure itll look great"

-my sad life every day

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
who ever used the cinepak codec by radius? its just one of the pos installed with windows i think but it always had poo poo video quality and bad file sizes for my dbz eps.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
wonder if the radius group ever has conferences to discuss releasing a new standard

why is mp3 an audio container but mp4 is video? who made that wacky call??

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pagancow posted:

:words:

So Digital Pictures was started by a guy who originally wanted to make B movies in the late 80s. He had directed and filmed some stuff, but then he saw a wave of CD-ROM and Full motion video on the horizon as a form of entertainment. They formed Digital Pictures, and hired some software engineers for his "vision" of interactive movies on CD-ROM.

They decided on the Sega-CD platform to do one of their first home games. (There were things like Dragons Lair that operated in the arcade with LaserDisc, but this was really expensive). The engineer I talked to basically created the first Sega-CD Video codec that could:

• Stream Audio and Video in under 150Killobytes per second. (SegaCD was only a 1x CD-rom drive)
  • Decode real time in a 12.5mhz 68000
  • Decode in less than 200-300K of memory because you had to have the game logic/graphics/etc loaded at the same time.
  • be a bad enough programmer to code the YVCPOSiest codec u got on less CPU/memory than string cheese.

They did a lot of interesting things like keeping the resolution low, like 120px across, and only encoding the Y channel. which is why a lot of those games were in black and white.

Ultimately the company failed, not due to the fact that they didn't have technical superiority, but people were expecting a lot more from full motion video games. (People were expecting the same quality as television, and it just wasn't possible given the restraints). Also it didn't help that they didn't have any real game designers because they were seeing it as more of a casual thing and less about hardcore gamers.

i owned a sega cd and had the zombie, police, and sewer shark FMV games. they were fuckin terrible but one day on SyFy i caught a legit TV movie made up of the scenes shot for these games. The game worlds were strung together with a terrible plot about plugging into some computer universe which explained why none of the characters from the game world showed up in the lovely parts they shot to cut it all together.

also lem from the Shield go a cameo but then he died (again)

zombie FMV game was funnest also had the best racist rasta stereotype

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
even when i was little i knew this was hosed up bullshit games for idiots to spend money on but Vay was super hard for a kid who never played RPG's so sewer shark it was... :smith:

o yea there was a micky mouse time travel game where u could play thru steamboat willy that was fun too

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
is bink video any good? that poo poo was in the original Starcraft but the logo still gets printed on new game boxes

is it as timeless as it seems? the perfect codec?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

99‰? my Mac regularly hits 800%

i want to make a kickstarter for a little propeller/fan that balances on trashcan macs but the fan spins using the rising heat from the center of the can. the slowly spinning blade charges an iphone5s gold. call it the "green fan for ur black can"

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pagancow posted:

here is what pagancow has to do for a living:

https://vimeo.com/73746421

as told by a very svelt and better looking man than pagancow

ur job is professional adobe kuler operator?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pagancow posted:

no explaining cameras to people who know nothing then doing it all myself.

that job sounds like it kinda owns tbh

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

i think this guy is literally just a crane operator with a camera, not a cameraman

what, the camera isn't supposed to be overexposed and just jerk to a stop?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

this show has one guy who underexposed everything, one guy who overexposed, the jib operator who was doing idk what, a slow cam that looks okay, and lots of go pro stuff probably shot by the producer (or maybe the jib guy idk).

the middle ground is not pretty

fun time at work is camera/producer people sticking a gopro at the end of a shaky boom pole, walking down a street with it and then asking me to track the jello-garbage I get back. Yeah, I can replace that rhombus-shaped rectangle with constantly-shifting distortion. Oh, the XD camera you brought on the shoot was set to 1/8 shutter speed to look 'like a movie'? of course that is usable, i never could have replicated that terrible poo poo in after effects, good thing its baked into the source

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Gopro made a silver plastic case for a SI-2k mini and just shoots all their promo poo poo with that. :v:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
so would using an FS700 and recording to AVCHD be better for you than shooting on the FS700 but recording to a Black Magic Hyperdeck Shuttle? they do 10-bit 'uncompressed' but I don't know if it is true 10-bit or the fake kind you mentioned earlier.

i mean obviously the shuttle will give you the most to work with, but is it a nightmare to transcode and work with that poo poo?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pagancow posted:

FS700 SDI out is 8-bpc only

All SDI is 10-bit word, but the data you are recieving is 8-bpc.

what about the liar camera makers saying their hdmi outs are uncompressed, theres no chance in hell of that being true, so what the hell are you even recording with one of those Shuttle/Atmos Ninja things? technically 8 bit but encoded in a massive 10 bit format?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"have this last minute addition to our season researched, written, shot and edited in 14 days plz"

-umm u mean 10 days boss?

"lol @ ur weekends ;)"

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pagancow posted:

just look at that

all dem lost colors just thrown out of a standard

from nine teen

ninety

loving

six

!!!!

u gonna complain about all dat free gamut?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
afaic u dont even deserve the colors in your mspaint red oval but u get them anyways aple isnt a charity for colors

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
heres the logo designs boss we gotta nail down a exact pantone so i put some swatches up on the retina mini

"great job stevens those 3 exact same red squares you picked are good red squares."

:doh:theyre cardinal, rose and maroon...:hirez:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

manipulating curves with a touch device would be fun

probably super frustrating because you'd want precision but ipad touch actually recognizes like a 25x25mm minimum area

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

because they probably use a higher resolution for the original file i guess ergo the scaler doesnt have to resize it so dramatically

regardless 1.75 Mbps is kinda low for just about anything, even 720 x 480

apparently u dont know about microsoft silverlight/ its a dream. 1.75mbps is good enough 720p is 1080p

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
if its good enough for a mini dvd video camera its good enough for me

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:page143snype:

ugh they want the face line up around 40 for this show and it just looks so bad

i usually dont use the vectorscope aside from callibrating things b/c saturation is easy to judge but now i'm using it

listen u arent a "creative" so just pull the levers and let the big dawgs make the smart choices

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pagancow posted:

so many lol things about this video
  • first they introduce her like she was made up by marketing not a singer
  • cell phone camera just as good as professional video!!!!
  • we didn't have to bring any wind generators, oh wait we did, because real wind looks like poo poo
  • lets fly our cell phones around, oh wait dat jello
  • half the shots are out of focus
  • camera matrix so bad they had to instagram filter the entire video
  • lumia phone in every shot where someone is using a mobile
  • acting lol

i thought we were just havin fun time doublin postins then pagancow had to gently caress up and triple post

scrub tier poo poo, dude

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pagancow posted:

so many lol things about this video
  • first they introduce her like she was made up by marketing not a singer
  • cell phone camera just as good as professional video!!!!
  • we didn't have to bring any wind generators, oh wait we did, because real wind looks like poo poo
  • lets fly our cell phones around, oh wait dat jello
  • half the shots are out of focus
  • camera matrix so bad they had to instagram filter the entire video
  • lumia phone in every shot where someone is using a mobile
  • acting lol

i thought we were just havin fun time doublin postins then pagancow had to gently caress up and triple post

scrub tier poo poo, dude

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wheany posted:

the only things i notice are the instagram filter and the terrible jello effect whenever the camera shakes even a little, like every aerial shot and the ones where the camera is mounted on a car. and for some reason some of the dolly shots, like in the diner.

when the camera sits still, i guess it looks ok, for a phone camera.

yeah its just too bad its a cellphone camera at the end of the day regardless of how far it juts out from the phone body :( even a $60 flip cam has better rolling shutter thn that, andi bet its stabilized in after effects like crazy too. at least that blonde lady got a free music video out of it

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

yo pagancow, the post store called, their all outa posts

hitze posted:

thank god

lmbo pickin on a man in he own thread

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i like when you go on sperg tangents pagancow but its a good thing u stay locked up in ur own thread

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
u start posting that poo poo in the sports forum ppl gonna think video guys are wierd or something

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pagancow posted:

is that some grey forum thing?

ya hurts my eyes

they talk about how cool it was back in highschool mostly, complete opposite of the yos

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gotta poop real bad but also want to upload video for editor before i go

WILL IT RENDER IN TIME?!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the poop was coming from inside the render

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
cant do it too much poasts

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

be a shame if we were to start a new page all of a sudden

lol what u mean?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
always pickin on a man in he own thread

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
SNEEZY WEEZY

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

nothing at all

kjust checkin

U runnin vlc/mpc??

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
CLIENTS!!!!

rite boys????

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

speaking of 4k is there an interactive tool that has like, what ppi value you want for what distance your eyes are from the screen and whether you're 20/20 or whatever? or a blog post that actually does the math from first principles. i think it involves arctan(θ) and gently caress doing that yourself.

also bought a p65zt60 last week and i'm pretty darn happy with it.

that would actually be really interesting to try and i hope someone posts it. also glad u got a good screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
nope since only reason nobody mentions clock speed anymore is because u can still blanket-poo poo on AMD

so we need 2 tiers of r. good screens so we can say ones a pos and ones the best ever

• Locked thread