Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cineform or prores so that premiere or fcp or whatever wont gag on the previews and timeline while you're scrubbing through them. anything else is for scrubs. be prepared for the prores transcoded files to take about 10x the space of the original files out of the camera, so your 5 gig project can quickly turn into a 50gig project. transcode with something that can take advantage of CUDA because gently caress waiting for even an i7 to do that poo poo by hand.

oh, your talking anime codecs? who cares, whatever vlc will play is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ultimateforce posted:

MY DSLR does this really bad when shooting video and it drives me crazy.

shoot in raw snipe

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

canon does. the changes needed to make their DSLRs shoot raw would make the t2i cost like 9 grand tho.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pagancow posted:

lol what is this? 5 years ago? edit native in all three big NLEs or :frogout:

yo good luck not having any of the big 3 not cough up a lung when you scrub through more than a minute or two of 1080p.

that mercury hardware playback engine in premiere took care of a lot of that, but it still gets choppy on me every once in a while if im not using prores or cineform.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pagancow posted:

disk i/o deficiency

on a solid state drive?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pagancow posted:

The adobe engineers told me that AVCHD and other non all-i frame codecs need more disk IO becuase it has to read ahead and create all the iframes you want to seek in the middle.

I'm guessing its because your on OS X? They said that it was their secondary platform and they didn't put as much time into it.

It's also possible that you have have enabled MPE on a card that isn't officially supported by adobe doing the text file hack, and you could get slower performance than software mode.

i do premiere on a windows box precisely becasue adobe hates apple now. i also have a GTS450 fermi whatever, which makes it render HD video faster than realtime, so I dont think its the card. either way, it only stutters erry once ina while, so its nbd.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

because an i-frame didnt get broadcast and the video decoder doesnt know to change something onscreen

here is some nerd poo poo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_compression_picture_types

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 2, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

peepsalot posted:

what ever happened to jpeg2000. wasn't there some provision for video what that too, or am I making that up.

it became motionjpeg and was equally shameful

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

no ur wrong that's frame blending from an ntsc source

p. sure thats not it broseph

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pagancow posted:

i asked the woman what she thought of high frame rate, and she said she couldn't tell a difference.

THEN i OPEN PALM SLAMMED the red documentation ABOUT the 4k technology USED BY PETER jackson and how all the dwarfs were being rendered at FOURTY EIGHT frames PER SECOND, twice the FRAMERATE of a normal plebe movie made by old film TECHNOLOGY. Then i pulled out my SIX INCH android phablet to show evidence done BY ONE WEIRD guy in the REDUSER FORUMS about how the movie was ONLY FINISHED IN 2K!!!!

~my pixels~

i mean come on, the GOPRO shoots in 4k for chrissakes! Petre Jackson you need to shoot in 100K or better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

i was in a theatre in florida and it had a digital projector where the brightness was turned up way too high and it was possibly zoomed in way far, as I could see the individual projector pixels.

my sperginess would not allow me to enjoy the movie after that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pagancow posted:

qua qua qua quad post!!!

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=162442

Intel QuickSync FFDshow decoders. watch your animes on your laptop with less power usage (more battery life)

if you use vlc, then :frogout:

looks cool, anyone tried it?

also dam snips u a babby

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

similar realtalk, keep shooting on your iphone and make good-rear end content. so many dudes have 5DMKII's and make total poo poo all day.

content is king, gear is secondary.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

i'm mostly impressed at how long some of those macroblocks stay on screen

motion compression detection algos are magic

cool concept wasted on a terrible song

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VectorSigma posted:

i have a use for M-JPEG who can guess why

you have a disorder on a certain spectrum

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

longview posted:

These are the same people who want to stretch 4:3 to 16:9 so they can get their money's worth.

the most rage inducing thing

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ahmeni posted:

maybe your autism about other peoples media enjoyment would be a little better tempered by thinking of it as stretching 12:9 to 16:9

maybe if stretching 12:9 to 16:9 didnt cut off 4:9 of the video, then yeah

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

much like twixtor artifacts, your brain becomes permanently wired to notice them

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ahmeni posted:

is this the anti shake video thing like YouTube does? because I cannot unsee it and it makes me nauseous when watching things with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQokTc8D0P8

Watch the wheels and the sand when it goes to slowmo. Thats a really bad example, but even in really good examples, Twixtor generally gives itself away. ive seen it in production television even.

the youtube antishake thing is a visual representation of dubstep

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

"heh lemme just take this 15fps .3gp file and twixtor it out to 10,000fps"

-everyone on youtube

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pagancow posted:

• In .mp4 variable framerates that change

this is the dumbest thing and pre-CS6 versions of premiere puke their guts out when they encounter an iphone video with variable frame rate.

apple, just loving film at one frame rate, jeeze

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

hey are there any tv providers that dont compress the poo poo out of everything and turn it into macroblock hell? i just dumped uverse and have just been watching ota tv and apple tv lately, and holy poo poo are both waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy better than uverses blocky lovely mess. any fast motion was rendered unwatchable mess because of the compression.

are there any tv providers (either cable/dsl/satellite) that arent complete trash with regards to compression?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*pays extra for HD channels*

*gets super compressed blocky tv that looks like realmedia from the 90's*

"Heh, yeah, this HD is great"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dur posted:

more like

*watches 4:3 SD channel stretched to 16:9 to fill their new sceptre 50" LCD*

"dang man this HD stuff is great, look how big it is"

-Every person over 50 ever

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

then you fix it for them and put them on the HD channel and stop the stretching and one of two things happens:

1) "This looks great, thanks!" *is back to the SD channel literally 10 minutes later and calling you on the phone because they cant get rid of the black bars*

2) "Looks the same to me :shrug:"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

that could be, our uverse still had like 500 analog channels

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ah, yeah, i meant digital sd, nevermind

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

yeah cell companies did the same thing. my old roomate got an offer from ATT or us cellular or whoever offering him their most baller (at the time) phone for free just so they could get his 10 year old analog phone off the network. his options were take the baller phone, take any other phone he wanted, or be dropped.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

no just one of those technophobes who hated using a cell phone for anything but phone calls and his laughably huge old nokia was "good enough", he was like early 20s at the time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MY SPECIAL EYES

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pagancow posted:

I prefer DLP technology as they update 240 times a second with a black frame insertion for 1/240th of a second each 10 cycles on 24P material

that means you get sharper, more defined cadence becuase black frame insertion clears the screen completely before updating to the next frame.

dlp does own except when the color wheel gets a cat hair in the air bearing and you have to replace it.

~the yosposters burden~

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

my dlp is from the mid 2000s and is 720p

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

how bad is ur input lag

oddly enough the tv has a game mode where it all but eliminates it. i just set all inputs to use game mode

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

i dont "get" vine

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

its that im really dumb

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

yep just got the vine app, will sasso has helped me understand vine now

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

i dont "get" vine

now that i get vine, im still not sure if it will stick around for long. it is like twitter for videos, but mashing out 140 characters is easy, vine requires effort, and we all know how the twitter world likes effort

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Apple: We're designed for the creatives

*doesnt do poo poo with poo poo re: video*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:thumbsup: get ur cuda on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

longview posted: