Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Doc Block posted:

They weren't DVDs (though somebody did make DVDs that would start to degrade after being exposed to open air). They were discs encoded with the DivX codec instead of MPEG-2, and used a different copy protection system IIRC.

You had to have a DivX player, and they had built-in modems and had to be connected to a phone line to work.

they used mpeg-2 just like a dvd. in 1998 mpeg-2 hardware was expensive as gently caress; i used to have a dsp card that did nothing but decode mpeg-2, it was like $200 in 1997 money

the 'divx' codec was a lame joke. pirate assholes got a leaked copy of a microsoft encoder and decoder, hacked it up to be easy to use with avi containers, and released it with the name "divx ;-)", because divx-the-product was such a lame and bad idea. yes the winky face emoticon was part of the name

i enjoyed the elegance of all pirate videos being released in a format that could only be created/played with pirated software

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

so what was xvid then
coz that was standard for a v.long time... still is on your non HD rips?

xvid was another lame joke, an open sores attempt at implementing "divx ;-)" so that people could stop pirating microsoft codecs

being beardy fucks naturally they named it something very confusing: the name of the pirated thing spelled backwards

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

would you prefer they watched their 4:3 VHS tapes on a 14" CRT?

at least the aspect ratio would be correct

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

when hardware makers include a h264/vc1 decoder chip in they hardware, do they pay licenses on top of that or do the licenses come bundled with the chip?

usually the manufacturer does

for the raspberry pi, the end-user is expected to pay for the license before downloading a key to enable features: http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1839

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Install Gentoo posted:

the apple tv:
1) plays (some of) your content from itunes
2) has support for a few online streaming services for video and music

here's a list of the services

iTunes Store (Content must be streamed live or downloaded via iTunes onto a device with storage capability [personal computer, iPhone, iPad, etc.])
Flickr and iCloud photo slide shows
Netflix
Hulu Plus
YouTube and Vimeo
Rotten Tomatoes reviews can be browsed for rented/purchased content
NBA TV and MLB.tv allow access to league scores, statistics, and their accompanying subscription services.

so i think in australia you'd just get itunes store, flickr and icloud slide shows, youtube and vimeo.

appletv youtube is useless
any content with ads on it is silently deleted from search results

i.e. any youtube content worth watching at all

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

this is so funny, google SWORE up and down that it was the ONLY patent free modern video codec for the web, and opera and Mozilla claimed that they were only going to support WebM because "lol gently caress the patent system, why should we spend money on something we give away for free?"

now it turns out they are liable and might need to spend money on something they gave away for free? Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

part of the google agreement was that google could sublicense to anyone they wanted

which means this is less proof that webM infringes and more google paying protection money to prevent anyone large-or-small from being sued

it would probably cost 100x as much as google paid to conclusively prove webM does not infringe, so hey

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

just lol if your speakers dont do at the minimum 20-22K hertz comfortably without the need of a subwoofer or EQ adjustment

i bought a subwoofer to go with my incredibly cheap shielded speakers

turns out that when i had the crossover tuned to where i liked it, the sub never fires unless there's an explosion on screen

glad i bought a special speaker for explosions :unsmith:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

chumpchous posted:

lol at having good sounding speakers. if you watch anything with actual dynamic range you're going to sit there terrified that your upstair/downstair neighbors will call the cops on you

watched 2001 last weekend and had to turn it up and down between the dialog/music sequences

lol if you live in such a tiny apartment you worry about your neighbors

always have a buffer floor between you and the next unit

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Instant Grat posted:

my dad asked me "if they can do continuous analogue sound capture like on vinyl and poo poo thats not separated into samples, why dont they do the same with video. whys it gotta be such-and-such frames per second" and i didnt know what to tell him other than "thats not how it works. thats literally just not how it works"

that is exactly how analog video cameras and analog tv broadcast worked: a continuous signal fed into the guns while they panned across a screen

the "frames per second" conceit came from the interval where the guns reset to their 0 position -- you didn't want to feed them picture while they aimed somewhere unhelpful

edit: here's some authentic, "warm" vinyl video for ur dad

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 29, 2013

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

i think he was asking about temporal continuity, which analog video still doesnt provide because of the aforementioned blank

yeah you could design a temporally continuous analog video system with no blanking interval. just turn back around and start tracing backwards

but the equipment would have been more complicated and the temporal resolution would have been poorer. blanking interval was really the simpler solution

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nomnom Cookie posted:

inside too. thinking meat

vector crts are really cool and temporally continuous iirc. maybe ig's dad should buy an asteroids cabinet

vector displays have no fixed framerate, but they do have "frames" in the sense that the gun is constantly being turned off to move to the start point of the next segment

one blanking interval per vector instead of a blanking interval per field

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 30, 2013

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

guys i can totally see infrared light

a CRT's rich, warm image is provided by even number harmonics in the moire pattern

i can see the difference and i refuse to watch my laserdisc anywhere else

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jimmy Carter posted:

I was wondering how their products got around HDCP.

Turns out they're just using the analog hole for now.

i find it a teeny bit funny that they require you to go out and buy your own $1100 ADC and don't just sell you one

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

mannn its not the same unless it's got the analog warmth of a VfW interface

i'm the cinepak

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
just hangin out, fillin your frames with blocks

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

your color discrimination is a piece of poo poo

http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?pageid=77&lang=en

I scored this but i'm going to chock it up to white color surround because that wasn't annoying or anything

i got an '8' is that bad

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
oh never mind they tell you what is bad. it's on a 0 to 99 scale

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sudo Echo posted:

is this guy dressed up as zorg?

He's peacocking

Bitches know what's up when dey see the villain from an unpopular 90s scifi flick comin

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Wheany posted:

if you rip the discs with makemkv, you can then use tsMuxeR to turn them into ts files, but i'm not sure if that's necessary if you're serving them with ps3 media server

now that sony sells bluray carousels is there any purpose to ripping a bunch of discs to your hard drive

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

RZApublican posted:

ahahaha and it's under the bsd license suck it fsf

it's under the bsd license because it's just a shim over binary modules, so that cisco can assume all the patent liability

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Share Bear posted:

it's still not free enough since everyone is assuming that the mpeg-la will just wait for long enough to sue everyone

it gives browser distributors an "out" on the lawsuit thing

content creators are still up poo poo's creek

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

oh no what will we ever do with the worlds shittiest spec: dlna

the only reason anyone has ever had a dlna server was to serve content to 360/ps3

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

gonna pour one out for my buddy plasma display:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/31/5050038/panasonic-plasma-tv-production-end

you had the deepest blacks next to a CRT and will be held in high esteem, consumer dumbness killed you

i wouldn't mind the death of plasma as much if local dimming LCDs were still widely available

but everything is edgelit horseshit now. i don't care that you got it down from 2" thick to 1.37" that doesn't help the picture quality guys

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

nah 10 years down the line cisco will buy a license

but this poo poo is legit cool yo

cisco helping out content consumers with licensed codecs does absolutely nothing to resolve the licensing nightmare.

content producers and distributors, down to individual folks with blogs, are still looking at a real rough road. imagine having to pay for an MPEG LA h.264 patent license to embed a youtube video on your web site

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

MPEG-LA alerady said they will never ask for a license for people who publish h.264 encoded files online only for those who decode it for you

basically nobody without tons of money will be asked to pay license ever.

yeah after a shitstorm of controversy and whining they made some promises about h.264

now we get to do it all over again with h.265

aren't you glad software patents are a thing?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

no it's because rec.601 doesn't have many colors

The scene usually does a good job of making sure they do a proper colorspace conversion but there just aren't that many colors in rec.709 and even fewer colors possible in rec.601

the blue triangle is rec.709, the yellow triangle is what this really expensive 2,000 monitor can display, and the curved looking color thing is visible light.

i didn't know that srgb and rec.709 were the same

my monitor has preset modes for srgb and "adobe rgb" . what the gently caress is adobe rgb

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Moist von Lipwig posted:

tbf if you have a monitor that can do 100% adobergb and a calibrator you can do soft proofing without ever putting ink to page which is a huge boner for anyone doing print work

i just wanted a really big monitor and it turns out they try and calibrate those at the factory. i'm never going to recalibrate it because i don't really care if my syntax highlighting has perfect color

i'm posting about this just to drive the handful of old media print spergs browsing yospos completely insane, while they wonder how they were ever cursed with TN panels

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

so what can cause the ringing

also
like our ears right
and a FFT
like if you avg the FFT over a second or so, a sine wave at 50hz aburtly stopping and starting will cause frequencies much higher than 50hz, but if you sample shorter it wont the same. is this correct?>

and so, how can we compare our ears to that?

It is caused by the filter but it is a primary effect not a side effect

Limiting the bandwidth in a particular way induces the ringing

Running the same sound through a perfect filter twice will have no different effect from a single go rou d

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

i could fill 40 posts about union guy jokes but tbf you cant get into the union unless another union member sees you doing your job the right way so i guess its a scrub weed out system.

so union guys work non-union shoots to recruit new members?
or do they recruit new cameramen when they see the janitor doing a rly good job sweeping?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

viewing angles are not a problem when this thing sits stationary on your desk. if it were a tablet then maaaayybee it would be an improvement

viewing angles matter at your desk. with a tn panel not even syntax highlighting works, since your eyes' angle relative to the screen changes too much from top to center to bottom

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

viewing angle on a tn panel isnt an issue if you have the monitor perpendicular to your viewing angle

if you have a monitor to the side then lol have fun with your neck strain

yeah this is demonstrably untrue. the change in angle just from top to bottom is enough to shift colors in an unpleasant way. i'm perpendicular in the horizontal axis, but in the vertical there is a wide range of angles at work

6-bit ips is for code slaves who just need their syntax highlighting to work. tn fails to deliver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

So i had to calibrate my parent's TV because we watched a streaming movie on netflix and all the skin tones were super red, and the background was NOT the correct shade of teal.

I don't have my tools but I did it by eye, and gamma levels were correct again, and skin tones looked normal.

the teals are a little hosed but at least neutral colors are actually neutral again

~MY LIFE MY PRIDE IS BROKEN~

how can i eyeball the right gamma setting

i am having the same problem on my parents tv

• Locked thread