Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

also interlaced media looks best on an interlaced device.

troof

deinterlacing always seems to be a gamey proposition at the best of times

why its such a pain in the nuts i have no idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

I felt like the 48fps movie vfx was not up to the quality bar it should have been in the hobbit, but that's to be expected when every cinema artist has mastered 24fps and 48fps was really a new thing for a lot of the artists.

p. much this. 48 fps is a whole new ballgame whereas we've had a century to come to grips with 24 fps. writing off HFR in its nascence is like when people wrote off early digital audio because it wasn't as good as decades-established analog audio

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
otoh the cg in the hobbit was loving amazing and even if it wasnt 100% indistinguishable its damned close at this point

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i saw the 24/3d version and it was fine. the 3d fell apart a little during fast action but it wasnt fatiguing or anything. also it worked really well and pj used it to great effect with dof and such. i was pretty indifferent to 3d before seeing the hobbit (i had seen toy story 3 and alice in 3d and both elicited a resounding ~~meh~~ from me w/r/t 3d) but now i'm genuinely excited about it and want a 3d monitor for bideo games and such

also the 3d trailer for man of steel owned owned owned

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
idk but man of steel looks like a solid flick and what little i saw had really impressive use of relatively subtle 3d so i'm pumped for that

also kevin costner as dad kent is the best casting decision ever

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

yes. I want to download this 256 palletized color snes replay that was rendered 8-bpc RGB on a pc then shoved into a 10-bit YUV color space to be played back in 8-bpc rgb:psyboom:

TEN

BIT

BIDEO

the encoder might not capture the exact shade of blue with 8 bit color :colbert:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
are live tv events shot in 60p? i mean i realize that they are generally broadcast in 60i but it seems like fast motion for sports and such generally looks a lot cleaner than prerecorded stuff

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Phoning It In posted:

& after all that its still loving anime

well cartoons that only use a dozen flat colors per frame definitely need 10bit 10mbps encodes to truly capture the soul of nippon

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Mister Snips posted:

why dont they produce anime and cartoons at lossless. as in like, vector. take that poo poo up to 4k with no effort

actually thatd be cool. people would still upload it to youtube tho :sigh:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
my tv has defeatable overscan, samsung supremacy :smaug:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Moist von Lipwig posted:

it's about 20:9 and yeah owns

i thought unmatted 70mm was still academy ratio

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

i'm trying to watch a movie with my family because i'm going to be all like :smug: check out my blu ray high def setup :smug:

loving ps3 requires hour long update before _THIS_ blu-ray can play

fml

i hate to say "asking for it" but optical media in tyool 2013, smdh

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
also nice "broadband" that downloads at less than gigabit speeds

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Wheany posted:

now try streaming a movie through that. boy howdy, i sure love 720p with stereo sound

if it doesnt stop to download a firmware update in the middle its cool with me

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
solution: watch media through a thing that is not a ps3

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Cardboard Box A posted:

New H.265 video standard approved, will allow for high-quality video at half the bitrate

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/25/3917072/new-h-265-video-standard-approved-will-allow-for-high-quality-video-half-bit-rate

"Yeah, take that fansubbers, your 10bit encodings are out of date now! Start encoding yours in H.265 so nobody can play it."

people are literally arguing about codec packs in tyool 2013 :ughh:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

RZApublican posted:

just install ffdshow, problem solved

hell just use mpc or vlc (use mpc if you are neurotypical)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

yes I want tearing frames when i'm watching my video - a thing said by nobody

i dont have this problem even with vsync off?? sorry about your weirdo refresh timings i guess

also mpc renders colors correctly as far as i can tell sooooo

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

you have no idea how powerful I really am

i have not yet bought a colorimeter mostly because there have been numerous better uses for my money so far but also because i don't need another excuse to tweak and fuss over my monitors :ohdear:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
oh ok

i think mpc has an option for that and its on full range by default. vlc is one of those programs that is always on the cusp of usability but winds up doing something stupid every time i use it

what was the reason given for limiting the range for tv? are most tvs so bad they clip before displaying actual black or white?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
oh ok. this is also why we still have interlaced video i assume. i mean does interlacing save any bandwidth/data rate/whatever when encoded with lossy compression? it doesn't seem like it would.

i guess the whole 16-235 thing is also what the color space setting on my tv is trying to cope with

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Wheany posted:

good news, h.265 supports interlaced video by saving the fields as separate frames and having some flag that tells the decoder that they should be shown interlaced.

well that should reduce some of the shittiness of converting interlaced video. maybe

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Shaggar posted:

just use wmp, u autists. windows has all the codecs you need installed already.

so does mpc

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaa haaaa haa haaha haahahahhaha

like anybody will support this decode side. see h.264

it'll be a good bellwether of who is and who aint worthy as a manufacturer :colbert:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

I just watched The Matrix on Blu-Ray and i could see compression artifacts.

I hit select on the PS3 controller and saw 18mbps average vc-1

loooooooooooooool shaggar how do you explain that?

lovely outdated image processor?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

VC-1 doesn't have deblocking enabled by default in the encoder, why would someone encode it right in the first place?

lovely outdated codec?

imo thats what you get for watching the matrix in tyool 2013

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i am wary of the "more contrast" treatment but none of those matrix shots appear to have any details/highlights/shadows crushed. i honestly don't remember what it looked like in the theater and the remastering doesnt look nearly as soupy so it's good as far as im concerned

also: children born during the original theater run of the matrix are now old enough to start forming terrible opinions and philosophies based on it

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

Watching the super bowl OTA

dem macro blocks

10 mbps MPEG-2 hd is bad? the devil you say

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

no deblocking in mpeg-2 :(

netflix etc might not be perfect but mpeg-2 hd on cable really bothers me. never looks quite right, even if its ok

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

RZApublican posted:

also with ffdshow installed

ffdshow is nice for older codecs that don't get hardware acceleration (it has nice post-processing options). also it decodes adpcm for the once in a decade you encounter it

beyond that mpc-hc is great and it doesnt gently caress with any system decoders/filters

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

ahmeni posted:

Circuit City*

HOW ARE YOU POSTING FROM 2002???

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Hard NOP Life posted:

drat this is spergy as hell, I'm glad I don't gif a gently caress about my colors or sounds

*glares at u*

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
yo pagancow what do u use for calibrating

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Blackula69 posted:

there's some crazy spergin going on in her but this is pretty bad imho

idk, did the matrix movies intend to use that yellow cast in the first place

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Wheany posted:

a 1080p cable recording from the same operator is about 7.5 Mbps, h264.

so by this very thorough investigation, i'd say that streaming < cable

what provider do you have that is on h264??

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
gently caress social problems and all that other bullshit, i just want people to stop using the term "digital" as a measure of quality :spergin:

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 9, 2013

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
also make analog hd a thing. we only need three channels anyway. how awesome would tv be if it wasnt stretched to paper thin-ness over 500 channels

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
answer: still not very good but at least you could surf through all of the channels faster and turn it off and do something else

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

ah fancy euro tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

guys did you know there is a difference between 30 fps and 29.976 fps?

our animation outsourcer didn't! and now we gota fix lipsync!

[SMPTE framerates PSA]

drop frame proves that satan is real

• Locked thread