Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Anyone have some words on Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes?

Strategy RPGs can be pretty hit or miss with me, but I can really get into them if they have good battle systems or unique classes or something to grab me. Is it good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
I'm looking for a game somewhere in between Knights of Pen and Paper and stuff like Final Fantasy Tactics. I love KoP&P's pace and that there's not much filler, but I wish there was more customization and strategy. FFT is really excellent. It has the depth, but battles can take way too long just to whack 4 monsters 3 times each, and then plus the story it just feels really slow to me. I'll probably knock FFT out in big chunks when I end up travelling or something, but is there anything else out there? It doesn't have to be grid-based.

Basically, is there a turn-based analog to Battleheart?

edit: I need to check out West Legends too. I love Battleheart :downs:

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 27, 2013

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
I just checked out LostStar and TacticalWarrior. They're definitely what I was looking for so I'm glad I posted. The graphics aren't even that bad stretched out to 2x, especially considering they were made by one guy.

Thanks!

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
What's the go-to recommendation for what I can only describe as 'stunt racing' games? I'm thinking along the lines of Trackmania on PC, or like Bike Baron, but something in 3D so there's steering (ideally not with tilt controls).

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Virigoth posted:

The only thing I know of that might be close is "Hill Climb Racing". It's a mix between a distance driver + stunt vehicles.

Hill Climb Racing

Well, I was hoping for something in 3D. If you haven't played TrackMania, it's like a Hotwheels set's wet dream. To say there are loops and jumps is selling it short, and it had a crazy-possibilities track editor to go with it.

Jet Car Stunts is pretty much what I'm looking for, but it has tilt controls. :(

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 31, 2013

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Anyone playing Champs: Battlegrounds? It seems pretty fun but I can't tell where it's going.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Eegah posted:

I'm not sure which is more disturbing, the blue sphincter or the Winnebago.

Well the RV train is awesome so we all know the answer to that.

Are there any good MMO-lite kinda games that aren't P&D? I played the tutorial 3 times and got Black Fighter No. 76 every time, not sure I can keep going.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Project1 posted:

Sorry for the double post, but what was that Bard's Tale clone, Silversword, like? Are the dungeons oldschool (i.e. insanely frustrating)?

Any other good RPGs besides Avadon/Avernum?

It's not purely an RPG but I just came here to say I reinstalled Heroes and Castles after a few months and they've pretty much doubled the amount of content with updates since then. 5 new classes to the original 4 and a new campaign, hopefully with new units! No idea what the MP implications are but maybe there are some balance fixes. This game never got much attention here but it is where I heard of it. I love it!

Edit: and there are definitely a shitload of new units

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 24, 2013

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
There aren't many iOS games that you can play for months, hooked or not. I've been getting into it more and more too. Is there a current P&D thread? The only one I'm finding is closed.

I partied up with an Owl last night that could do water or shadow(dark?) damage. Holy poo poo it was insanely powerful. As for leaders, can Water Mech Warrior Midgard carry me to endgame? I read a TA thread that lead me to believe he's good, but I still might reroll come Godfest.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Ludo Friend posted:

Really enjoying Quiz RPG, but starting to come accross broken questions every 3 quests or so. Also wish sports wouldn't pop up so often in the question choices.

Yea, I don't think I've seen one single order 4 question have actual good answers. Order these American rivers from East to West: Ganges, Mississippi, Thames, Seine. :eng99:

The game is pretty lovely. It could actually be really good if they made like one or two good changes to each system.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Is there a go-to Dad game? Mine saw me playing Kingdom Rush Frontiers and has now been asking me what my favorite iPad game is etc. He's into Age of Empires, Civilization and Total War. Is that Sid Meier's plane game a good idea? I'd like to recommend something that's not front-loaded with a ton of depth or tutorial bullshit because he'd just quit.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

MissMarple posted:

That's because PAD is grossing 7 figures a day and everyone is falling over themselves to make the "Western" version.

That seems pretty unlikely. Have a source?

Edit: My bad for not believing you but that still seems insane! That would put them on pace to be one of the highest grossing games ever. Probably cost a poo poo-ton less than stuff like CoD too.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 11, 2013

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
If you plan on trying Sefirah, the Battleheart clone, make sure you check the Hall of Fame. It's not some social integration bullshit like I thought, it gives you rewards for achievements. Turns out you don't have to grind every level to fill out your party and progress!

It lacks polish in comparison, but I wana see how it develops. One major difference already is that you whiff on moving targets which kinda sucks.

vv Yea, that poo poo is great.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 21, 2013

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Corridor posted:

Anyone playing this new Reaper: Tale of a Pale Swordsman game? I like how the story is all dark and serious and WAR IS HELL and there's a bit where a soldier gets his legs torn to shreds and if you return him to his camp you get yelled at to "put a bullet in that bloody mess, morale is bad enough already", but the graphics are utterly adorable and you are the cutest wittle spectre of death ever. The controls are alright, bit hard to manage but I suspect that's my lack of skill rather than the game.

What bugs me is the gold collection. When you bust open a chest (or kill an enemy), gold bursts absolutely all over the place and starts bouncing wildly in both directions. When it reaches the edge of the screen, it goes through and is gone forever. The gold bounces pretty fast, so when you're chasing it you just have to pick a direction and run with it, while everything in the other direction is lost. This means you'll only ever get half of what's in any given chest. Probably less, since the gold actually moves faster than you do, so unless you've got a few power skulls to dash with, your little dude is just left waddling desperately after the gold jellybeans which bounce juuust out of reach.

I'm hoping there's a magnet upgrade at some point or that poo poo is going to get annoying real fast.

This game's alright and I'm liking the dialogue which never happens for me. But holy poo poo are you right about the gold flying everywhere, it'll literally bounce all the way out of the level. I've been trying to time it so I'm right on top of the chest when it pops and it kinda helps.

Still waiting to see why it's 'free', though.
Edit- Ok, store version is free and the full game is 2.99, 3.99 or 4.99 depending on if you want Arena and some items sets. Not bad!

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 24, 2013

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Are any of the 2D strategy games good? I mean the kind where you pump units into the middle or defend a castle etc. Has that ever been done really well?

Reaper: Tale of a Pale Swordsman was patched so that your sword swings pick up gold. Now getting all the bouncy bullshit gold is less of a pain. I think the game is great though, it's pretty drat hard but everything feels really tight. The animations flow and the controls are good. Sneaking through shitloads of projectiles can be really satisfying.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

DNK posted:

I found Paladog to be fun enough to drop three bux on it (downloaded it for free about two weeks ago). It's got some absurdly long campaign and two fairly different styles of gameplay + PvZ-type bonus levels. It's grindy, which can be either good or bad. I suggest starting on "normal" difficulty.

Ah yea I actually tried it the other day too and got kinda sick of it. That's what I'm talking about though, thanks for throwing it out there. It seemed cool out of the gates but I get frustrated fast when games throw rock/paper/scissors at you and there's not much choice to it. 'This level's exactly like the last one until the very end when we throw this thing at you and you need that weapon to beat it, start over!'

That stuff is really delicate. It will either make me love a game or hate it. I'll restart a Kingdom Rush level 10 times getting further and further, but if the counter strategy stuff is too clear cut or in your face it kills it for me.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
I'm actually wondering if you get less experience from quests when you ask for more gold in Reaper. Is there any way to create a new game so I can check?

There's no way the game has branching stories or anything. If you refuse a quest with one dialogue option then you have to restart the conversation and pick the other one. Maybe they just want you to have fun being a greedy spellsword who always demands more :black101:

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

That's exactly it, the device fits around the phone making it look more like a PSP than an iPhone.

So that they need to make separate controllers for every device?

Seems like the wrong business choice, so that's surprising. Although maybe they expect phone+tablet owners to double down? I'd much rather have a regular old controller over some snap-on monstrosity, but hey that's me. I guess if you play on the move it'll be cool.

Edit

That's the one?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 1, 2013

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Dragonrah posted:

So that's why the thread posts shot up today. Grats.

In other news. Shadowrun Returns got its patch and Baldur's Gate EE is on sale for half. http://appshopper.com/games/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition

BG:EE is 5 bucks on Steam right now too. Is it like Shadowrun in that you should probably just buy it for PC? Are there mods that are pretty necessary or does the EE make it pretty solid on its own?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Are there any games on iOS that are like World of Tanks, Navy Field, or Star Conflict etc where a game with MMO-like progression is structured around brief online matches? I wouldn't care how simple the premise is.

I picked up Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for $5 last night and it's still on sale. The touch controls are kinda bad but it hardly matters, you pause the game to issue orders anyway. Has the same feel as FF:Tactics for me with lots of numbers to pore over, dual-classes and a million spells and stuff. I ran into one show-stopper of a bug early on but nothing since.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

ImsaKidd posted:

I've had my Ipad for ~2 months, and I've been trying to find more "must haves".

Found some cool games from this thread and the top rated games on toucharcade, but still looking for some more.

My most played/favorite games are:

PAD
Pocket Trains
Puzzle Craft
Bad Piggies

Any suggestions?

Pocket RPG looks pretty cool, might have to pick that up!

If you're totally new to iOS then you have certainly have options. Here's my short list of all-time favorites.

-Dungeon Hunter 2 HD is the best aRPG/D-Clone on iOS. It's the peak of the series though; they ruined it after that. (I think Pocket RPG is a little too simple.)
-Kingdom Rush and the new sequel, Kingdom Rush: Frontiers, are pretty awesome Tower Defense games that nail the formula and let you level up a couple different heroes too.
-Knights of Pen and Paper is a turn-based RPG that lets you build up a party of tabletop adventurers.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Has anybody heard of Iesabel?

It's an action RPG that just appeared on Steam boasting 8 person cross-platform coop. So I head over to the App Store and, lo and behold, this game's sitting there on version 3.01. Out since July.

I hate the app store for all the probably good games that get buried under tremendous piles of poo poo. But then again, maybe there's a reason I haven't heard of it? I'd be jumping at the opportunity to try it if I had only found it last week when it was 99¢ instead of six bucks. Damnit! :argh:

E: Wow, there are 0 IAPs. They strongly recommend iPad4/iPhone5 or better, but here I come on an iPad 2 bitches.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 12, 2013

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Playground Wars looks awesome! You should post again when it releases and I'll pick it up for sure.

I'm trying to decide if I like that big honking warning sign or not. It's definitely cool that it's a live feed. It just seems to shut down almost a quarter of the screen :/

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
So I guess Solomon Dark is now releasing on PC and iOS is only being considered a 'possibility'. That sucks balls. I remember there was some buzz about it supposedly releasing really soon about a month ago too. And unless they really kick it up a notch, I don't think perfect couch game will make the jump to great PC game very well.

Solomon's Keep and Battleheart are easily two of my all-time favorites. It's really not cool that their sequels are practically vaporware at this point and no other games fill the void.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Now that NimbleBit is publishing they should find a way to bring Gladius to iOS. They've worked with Disney who owns LucasArts stuff right?

I'm not sure if that was even a popular game let alone a classic, but I loved it!

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Starbound Anarkist is cool, thanks. Solid $2 game to play in short bursts and I'm loving all the ships that totally aren't from Star Wars. It does suck though that two out of three powerups reset all your upgrades. That part seems kind of lazy.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Yeah I'm changing that setting now. It does seem like the real way it should work, that's why I initially called it lazy.

Nice ship :cheers:

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Why not? It's psychologically engineered so that you love it! :science:

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Pan Ache posted:

Has anyone who's played barbarian speak to its similarity to nimble quest? The game looks fun but one of the things I got tired of with nq was the need to repeat the earliest levels. Arcadier games like Slayin' tend to be the same way, the earliest levels aren't so much a challenge as a necessary time sink in order to take a run at the game.

It is like Nimble Quest in the sense that you're doing the driving and your dudes do the shooting. You can also skip five levels at a time, once you get to level 5/10/15 you can start there. (Pretty much need some upgrades to be able to though)

Overall Nimble Quest has it beat for sure. Accumulating/spending the main resource is pretty shallow because it's just fill out party -> keep buying the temporary buff. It might be a little better if you could keep buying units to change your setup on the fly, but once you have a full party you're stuck with it until someone dies.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
My Barbarian app broke somehow. After a game Try Again does nothing and Visit Shop is an endless loading screen.

Will reinstalling an app delete its saves in general?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

SmockJoc posted:

Log out of gamecenter in your settings. It'll work fine then. If you don't want to do that, just force the app to shut and reopen.

Awesome, thank you. Logging out of Game Center did it. Force-quitting every run was getting old.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Has anyone played Transport Tycoon? The TA review is positive but it mentions scenarios instead of sandbox mode and the game being repetitive. I liked Pocket Trains but thought it lacked depth, so this sounds cool. Are there other games like this?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Sad lions posted:

Iesabel is on sale right now. Anyone know if it's worth a drat? I've been curious about it for a while.

It's pretty bad. The controls are awful and the abilities are horribly unbalanced, of which there are only a few anyway. Honestly I didn't give it more than an hour or two but I can confidently tell you to avoid it.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Have you seen those shows about people winning the lottery? People react in awful ways to overnight success, I wouldn't be surprised if it's affected his life beyond Facebook and Twitter.

edit- beaten, even on the lottery thing!

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
My one gripe with Hoplite, and I know I'm a month late here, is that there isn't a "currently being aimed at" tile indicator. I figure it out every turn anyway. I know how simple it is but it would still improve the speed of play to make it more action-y. Even make it an early Prayer, I don't care.

It is a great game though.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Well if you do pay attention to it then you're either clicking on each enemy every turn to get the same info or you're imagining it, so where's the difference?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Thirst Mutilator posted:

It's too bad the game doesn't highlight all the safe squares you can move to huh?

Seriously though, every monster has a consistent attack range - if you get familiar enough with them you don't need tap to check.

The game's difficulty doesn't rely on accidentally getting shot. There would still be good moves and bad moves if it did highlight safe squares.

Even then that's not what I said. The game already gives you this information. It would just be nice if you could get it all at once.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Is there anything to play on a road trip while one person drives other than obvious stuff like trivia?

Edit- as far as 4x goes you should definitely check out Autumn Dynasty Warlords. It's a little more Total War than Civ I guess but it's solid. I don't remember any IAP either.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 23, 2014

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Anyone else purchase WH40k: Carnage? I guess you need friends for the multiplayer missions that reward better currency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
how do you shoot it

• Locked thread