Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

John Charity Spring posted:

I'm getting the same feeling about East vs West and it makes me sad.

I liked Arsenal of Democracy a lot, but I think I mostly liked it for its slight usability improvements and the addition of casualty statistics (as abstracted as they were). I liked being able to see how many millions had died in warfare as the years wore on.

Easily the biggest flaw of Darkest Hour (that and keeping the original's CAS division melting effectiveness - unless that's been fixed lately?), my precious statistics :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Friend Commuter posted:

The 1.03 beta patch has casualty statistics, and even gives you a casualty report after battles. I don't think CAS obliterates land forces, either.

Moving/retreating land forces too? Those would just melt away in <4 hours under a stack of Stukas in the original/early Darkest Hour.

The HoI2 air attack model always seemed to fluctuate wildly between "attacking ground units is like using the Death Star for close air support" and "Utterly useless to even bother with, use interdiction only".

More broken than early NAVs obliterating fleets, or stacks of 30 submarine flotillas doing the same :allears:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 3, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Ottomans, Burgundy or Sweden is usually a good bet.

A pity they aint' doing anything interesting with the colony system, it always felt like the most blatantly "boardgame" inheritance in the EU series (that and the merchants).

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

DinoUniversais eh? I will take that as confirmation on the next-next DLC being "Sunset Invasion II: Aztec Dinosaur Cavalry"

e: Followed by Sunset Invasion III: Aztecs vs Vikings

I'd buy it :colbert:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 27, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Ah, the CK2 expansion I was expecting! But wait, what are all these other features-:suspense: :gonk: :gizz:

drat you Paradox.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I totally need to buy some of that wallpaper :colbert:

(Real books are expensive)

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Lord Tywin posted:

Or in the case of Sweden which wasn't bombed at all, where politicians during the 60-70s destroyed beautiful old buildings all over the country and replaced them with brutalist monstrosities.

Pssh, shows how much you know. Stockholm was bombed by hordes of Soviet bombers :sweden:

Sadly they didn't do nearly enough damage, Stockholm :argh:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

That sort of system would work pretty well with
A) Tech level differences
B) Later Conscription type systems, WW1 mobilization etc.

From 800 to 1947 :allears:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Torabi posted:

I hope Paradox keeps adding these ridiculous alternate history DLC things. Like the Sunset Invasion. I have yet to buy it since well, I already suck at their games and having the Aztecs gently caress me up wouldn't help. But I do intend to pick it up.

I got that event with Zheng He or whatever the name is of that Chinese explorer.

Now I want a Chinese Invasion DLC, sort of like the Timurids to the Golden Horde/Ilkhanate but for the Aztecs.

The Invasions from the West just keeps on rolling in! Possibly invading from the South/Up Egypt by the shoreline as well.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I second MOTE tech/research system being pretty great. Maybe throw in some of Victorias II tech event triggers to increase randomness a tad.

I imagine that the MOTE system would work pretty well to represent natives and non-europeans catching up once they bump into western armies and get trashed around for awhile. Learn from failure and all that.

Now, it should probably be somewhat restricted to (directly) affecting military techs so you can't lose a bunch of battles and suddenly you are a modern constitutional republic as the Golden Horde. Some other mechanic for that, that ties into national dissent/war exhaustion would be pretty sweet though.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 3, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

So I was playing Kaiserreich again, with DH and man it has improved since 1.1.

But when I selected Japan, the good old bugs came out of the woodwork again.

My favourite is this event:
event = {
id = 37990036
country = JAP
style = 2
picture = "philippines"

name = "New base in the Philippines"
desc = "As previously agreed with the Republic of the Philippines, the new base of the Imperial Navy in the island of Palawan has been inaugurated today. This new facility will help us conducting new operations in the Southwestern Pacific and put the Germans in check!"

action = {
name = "Great!"
command = { trigger = { OR = { alliance = { country = GER country = BUR } alliance = { country = JAP country = SIA } } NOT = { alliance = { country = JAP country = PHI } } } type = trigger which = 37990037 }
command = { type = access which = PHI }
command = { type = relation which = GER value = -50 }
}
}

Yeah, that gives the Philippines military access TO JAPAN :downs:

Less amusing is the event chain where Korea revolts and Fengtien & Taiwan & Transamur joins in. Problem is, there's some serious bug going on with the military access/puppeting ending so neither side (except in korea) can actually capture any ground or fight. It also triggers a gigantic cascade of "Province X has been lost to the enemy!" EVERY DAY FOREVER for the Japanese player.

And boy is the Kaiserreich team fond of endless events that adds 5-10 dissent in bunches. No wonder all the major powers are running around with 1931-1936 tech infantry in 1942+.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Drone posted:

I don't think this is a terrible thing to be honest. The point of Kaiserreich is that the world is much darker, much more backward, and much more hosed than in OTL. There are no good guys in Kaiserreich.

Yeah, but it makes no loving sense in half the cases.
You'll see stuff like "Oh let's back down from these expansionist negotiations" +5 dissent, "Let's forge ahead, annex them!" +5 dissent.
or
"Our colony is revolting!" +5 dissent, "Let them go" +5 dissent
What will make you people happy :argh:

On the topic of Japan, is there any event dealing with the Dutch East Indies? I see that the Pacific (Japan_WEAK) plan is only complete once Hawaii + Philippines + Indonesia is in their hands, but I haven't seen any event for the Dutch East Indies in game, even when they release the colony (or in the other half of cases, it revolts).

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah, after 1940 or so there's basically an end to events, short of a few "we've beaten X - Time for some Puppets!" for the biggest powers (but even then, surprisingly few of those too).

I played the Ottomans and despite totally wrecking Egypt - Hashamites - Persia axis there was nothing after I decided to say "gently caress you forced peace event" (2 dissent for them recognizing my borders :iiam:) and picked option B (7 dissent, keep on fighting).

The Ottomans seem to be one of few countries without an event chain to turn the lumbering beast around (like Qing). Just straight up "enjoy your dissent cake, in fact have a dozen of them" even if you are winning.

Asia turned out amusing though, with a resurgent Qing at first (annexing its western neighbour + the Legation cities), a Republic of China beating the AoG and annexing Yunnan + Tibet before Japan invaded Qing (and Qing tried to invade the Republic of China at the same time). Now Qing is a Japan Puppet, but I'm pretty sure that event chain is all but dead now unless Japan gets an event to gently caress up the Republic of China.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I had my armies that were stationed in the middle of Korea all get teleported to the strategic deployment pool, heading for Japan.

After that I just deployed them in the north and southern parts of Korea.

Didn't help with the incredibly bugged Fengtien and Transamur rebellions though (still haven't figured out how to fix that, so I just turned down the AI likelyhood of them picking that option).

Thinking I'll just go and make my own Ottoman revival event chains.

First a general event to pick path / AI selection. Something like
A) Maximum Ottoman: Ambitious Revival path.
B) Modernizers! Peaceful democracy development path.
C) Corruption and Decadence! Basically the current poo poo-path.

e: Haha, all the Ottoman events are stuffed inside the "Middle East" file that lies in the "Africa" Folder.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 18, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Of course, the flaw there was that the tech team never got better (outside of rare events), and the tech progression was entirely dependent on their general skill and static subskills, so once you funded a project is was a determined time before the project finished.

Adding some Swords of the Stars 1 design there could make for a nice system, as well as the HoI3 tech skill improvement things.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Plus, even EU3 had the distinction between Internal Tech Innovation Speed, Tech Spread, Tech Levels and actual Units (partially based on tech, but also culture).
In other words, it's possible to have a system with more innovative countries (i.e, certain parts of Europe), good units that take advantage of that tech and also have tech that can spread to countries which lacks institutions to develop their own tech / formations.

Bake in some sort of system for them to advance on the Unit type front, and/or internal innovation and voila. It should allow rather "even" distribution of tech (by X decades), but not result in even military *might* from that tech (i.e, units, national ideas etc). Throw in the March of the Eagles ideas of gaining tech (or innovation desire) from military defeats and there could be quite the workable system without having to necessarily include a button that says "Westernize".

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

It's mostly the cheaper upgrade costs that make free market&proffessional military A LOT better than central planning/drafting, there's really little point to gearing bonuses once you have a big army up and running.
Central planning and such should make reinforcements cheaper (IC and manpower costs) or something.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

In my current Japan game I had a pretty funny first Great War in 1893 or so, where the NGF, allied with Britain and the US, went up against France, Austria and Russia.

Went about as well as expected. AI Germany has been quite the disappointment in the few games I've tried so far, while France/Russia/Britain are the usual juggernaughts.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Does the Acquire puppet CB work? I tried nabbing Wurttemberg as the NGF, a sphered ally of Austria and after beating down on Austria they finally gave in and I got nothing but a truce :iiam:
Tried reloading too but with the same result.

It's a total bitch to get Baden and Wurttemberg of Austrias hands without drowning in infamy, stop kicking out my diplomats you jerks :argh:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Oh, ENDING the war isn't the problem with AI war leaders. It's when they make peace with Spain or Montenegro and YOUR ENTIRE ARMY DISAPPEARS that's the loving problem :negative:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Also, I'd like to add that the forced disarmament works out pretty badly when a third party invades and you still can't build any troops, even to defend yourself :argh:

e: Just for how long does this modifier last? All the truces have expired but I still can't build any troops or ships. And the moment I alt-tab back I can build stuff again :iiam:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 20, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I think the AI might be a wee bit too willing to surrender core territory in Crisis negotiations, never mind Austria or the Ottomans I'm talking about Great Britain giving up Cornwall/all of south-west England to France because Austria backed France together with Belgium over some dispute with the Netherlands :psyduck:

Meanwhile, I never get any "sweet deals" from the AI to lure me over to any of their camps during negotiations. You'd think Great Britain might want to approach the remaining "on the fence" Great Powers if things are looking unfavourable in the crisis.

Another thing to have a look at is those constant Jacobin/Communist rebel spirals, where one side will take power but you'll still have hundreds of the other side springing up and switching places every couple of years. I have murdered millions :negative:
(Pretty sure the only large Militancy gain I got is that drat moralistic anti-liquor society modifier, that +0,01 mil gain adds up pretty drat quickly)

My game probably had like 3-4 Great Wars before the turn of the century too...

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 20, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I find that there are TOO MANY crisis wars and such, and with Great Wars unlocking around 1870 I also get 2-3 Great Wars before the turn of the century.

You'd think that say, France, might not spring back from losing its entire army 3 times in a decade but uh...

Also, I've seen Prussia form the NGF maybe 1-2 times, never Germany. Even when I basically hand it Alsace or beat up on Austria/Russia for AI Prussia.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

So, I happened to win "French Rhineland" and Alsace in a big ol' brawl, I'm allied with Prussia and want to hand its territory back to it.

How would I go about doing that?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I need to unleash THE BEAST on those loving French and Russian jerks.

Playing as Scandinavia, I managed to liberate Hungary from Austria which created a quite useful puppet, but France is a loving monster with #1 military and industry in the world.

e: It would be pretty nice with a "Return Allied Core" CB for 4-6 infamy, instead of having to do it this rear end-backward way.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 24, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Hmm, the game doesn't recognize changeprovinceowner PRU 572 and such as a valid command. Has it changed?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Thanks, that worked.

But the AI Still refused to create the NGF, so I switched over to have a look.

I noticed two german minors that weren't sphered (and the AI refused to sphere on its own) so I did it for it:

Still can't form the NGF, even though it should be able to form Germany straight out too that decision is also off-limits.

Any ideas? (That grey province in Bavaria is occupied by Pan-Nationalists.)

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah, I wish the game would make massive Jacobin uprisings less of a thing once the communists show up.

White Reactionaries would be a better fit.

It's just weird to have Jacobins take turns at the helm.

Those massive revolts are in general too common, they should at most be once-a-decade things, not yearly events- even in lovely countries. Especially against late game armies that just butcher rebels.

Perhaps armies should have a suppression value on their own, over a certain % of your maximum brigade numbers. A country that has lost most of its standing armies would be a lot more ripe for revolutions then, uh unless it's already like that and I'm just not noticing?

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 26, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Reactionary/Carlist(?) rebels, to be precise.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

So I uh, ran into an interesting bug playing the NNM mod.

The Crimean war had triggered, pitching Russia against a bunch of European powers.

At the same time, a crisis war set off and eventually concluded.

Problem being, some of those European powers (Prussia, France) peaced out due to this but are still "at war" with Russia, although there's no longer any alliance leader and even tag switching doesn't allow anyone to actually make peace.

Not quite sure how I'm supposed to revolve this, editing the save game I've found the war in question but I can only find the "history" where the countries in question joined the war. Not sure where I find the active participants. Any ideas?

e: Managed to resolve it by removing prussia and france as defenders from the save file.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 30, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Really? 'Cause I get tons of rebels all the time.

Unthreatening, yes (Especially later on) but still several massive revolutions per decade, with smaller poo poo sprinkled in between.

Running a happy fun-time country can help a little, but sometime people just wanna rebel it seems.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Then again, having half your army switch side in every revolt would get tedious real fast, unless it's a "once in two decades, after losing a major war" kinda thing, at most.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

I've said it before, that's an awesome thing for simulating the feel of the cold war, both sides with a shiny red button that makes everyone lose. It captures the paranoia perfectly when the other side can just declare you the loser in exchange for losing itself.

If I've learned anything from the Forums Balance of Power threads, that is really not an awesome thing.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

There's certainly other, better, ways to include a "increase relations" in a game. Like placing a limited number of diplomats to take care of that poo poo for you.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Nope, I now spend the next 25 years ensuring the continuation of the communist states I've helped create by having to spread nearly all of my army out between myself, France and England. Why? Because between the three of us, a minimum of nearly a million Jacobin rebels are spawning yearly. My back of the envelope math shows that for the 20th century, Germanic communism was responsible for at least 20 million deaths from rebel armies alone. Adding in how vicky2 actually calculates pops, my armies actually murdered around 80 million people but goddamnit, Europe was red.

e: oh I also managed to secure Armenia's communistic independence from the Ottomens in a crisis and later they somehow also managed to grab Syria from them which I thought was amusing.

Someone at Paradox got a massive hardon for Jacobin rebels.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

More fleshed out options and events for the nondemocracies is pretty high up on my Victoria 2 wishlist, playing commies or fashists just never felt right, and the bloody jacobins never go away :argh:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Except it hasn't been for like a year now?

But we are sick of you guys criticising our wallpaper and that's why we can't be forum-friends.

You sure you aren't getting rid of it? I'd... take it off your hands, really. For proper disposal, of course.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Nuclear War posted:

Can you talk some more about this? I feel it would be an awesome thing to be able to throw out in 'drat islamics are ruining our country' discussion

Actually, due* to Queen Victoria (THAT Victoria) being related to Muhammad, basically every royal house in Europe can trace that line right back to Muhammad, including Sweden's Royal house of Bernadotte.

*Or more precisely, as stated, thanks to all those Spaniards.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Agean90 posted:

I gotta wonder if theres a guy out there who through some cosmic fluke has no royalty in his lineage. Like he gets a record done and it's dirt farmers, all the way back.

Depending on if those isolated tribes in the Amazon got any royalty, I'd wager there are quite a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Wish there were more of a infrastructure stat that could make unpassable map objects passable as time passes / they are unlocked and constructed.

e: As for the Gulf, guess where Russias obsession with a warm-water port came from. The Baltic Sea loving sucks (also it's cockblocked by Danes).

• Locked thread