Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

EU3+
I installed the newest 5.2 beta, the newest EU3+ and started a new game as Holland. When I siege something the Assault button is gone?

It's not in the feature list so I assume it's a bug. I tried reinstalling the game (deleted the EUIII folder, redownloaded it from Steam, turned off automatic updates and completely exited Steam since you can launch the game with the launcher without having Steam running, unzipped the patch into the main folder) and still getting the same thing. Any ideas?

I'm also getting missions to take the Netherlands territories but that do not give me cores on those territories, is that intended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

I tried a game of EU3 MEIOU over the weekend. They added a lot more bonuses and penalties to sliders, NIs, advisors and buildings, making all that stuff more interesting at first, it just gets too much after a while. Some of the bonuses even break the tooltips when you get a sizable country (which is bound to happen since they added hundreds of provinces). For example the tooltip for government tech research can't tell me what research is coming up anymore since every tier 2 government building adds 0.3 to the research and all I can see now is a huge list of +0.3 that goes to the bottom of my screen. Same for magistrates/merchants/missionaries, I can't see how many I get per year because some trade building / monk orders add 0.1 each.
Inheriting from a PU gives you cores regardless of culture or whatever, so Ive been abusing the hell out of marriages and the Fabricate Claim spy action and have been eating my way through the HRE.
When I got to the point where I could colonize I was still in the "early colonization" time period , netting me "only" 7 colonists a year. So I went to discover the Caribbean and South Africa, not only does everything have 2-3 times as many provinces as vanilla (Madagascar has 8 provinces) but every single province I found has a base tax of 1. I grabbed Haiti and Cuba (11 provinces total) and everything had corn or fish... gently caress this mod.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Westminster System posted:

Im still annoyed that the newsletter didnt come through, even though I remember getting SotS.
I didn't get it either, turns out my "Receive email from admins" in the forum control panel was unchecked. I'm no really sure whether I ever touched that setting but apparently that's the reason.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

If anyone's looking to buy HOI3 Collection, V2+AHD or CK2+all DLC, check these crazy packages on Amazon, today only!:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7UKDQS All CK2 stuff + some other games 15$
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AAIJJCW HOI3 + V2 + some other stuff 7.5$
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7UK2I2 CK1+CK2+all DLC (as far as I can tell) 10$

I bought full price Republic DLC on Monday :( At the time I didn't mind giving PDS money but now I'm :argh: Amazon :argh:

For more info on the deals check the Amazon sales rep's thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523213

Ed: Forgot to mention, people outside the US can simply put a valid US address as their billing address to buy digital games on amazon.com, they don't check IPs or credit card stuff (or don't care).

Vodos fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 31, 2013

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Jakse posted:

Thanks for this. I really want the second one to get AHD but I can take or leave everything else. It looks like you can't gift stuff either. Is this the cheapest way to get AHD? Any of the other games decent (save HOI3, I already have that)? HoD looks cool so I am finally thinking about breaking down and getting AHD and converting from Vicky to V2.

You get separate keys for everything so you can gift it "manually" just send whomever the key. The big bundle has 36 keys!

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

I hope you have another loca pass planned because the tooltips shown in the trailer need some work!

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Didn't see this mentioned yet, you can sign up for the V2:HoD beta here: http://beta.paradoxplaza.com/signup/42/
However the deadline is in ~6.5 hours.

Edit: There's also a new EUIV dev diary about war: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-so-much-fun...

Vodos fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 8, 2013

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

A while back someone mentioned trying to form India as the Sikh in Vicky 2, I thought that sounded interesting so I tried it myself. You start out with a shitload of soldiers and plenty of poor people to tax as well as I think good income from exporting tea and sugar. Grabbing Afghanistan and the Baluchistan area was no problem at all, but then you're looking at the UK and its dozens of puppets. I allied with China who also border the UK's holdings and when I saw that the UK was at war with the USA I declared myself with a release puppet CB (you have tons of core CBs to add).
It went great at first, smashed the british stacks guarding the border and a bunch of their puppets' armies. However for every stack I killed, 5 more eventually showed up. I'd start a battle with a numerical advantage and halfway through there'd be 5 times as many UK forces! They just kept coming and coming and coming.
The Chinese were loving useless too, for some reason they kept almost all their massive forces in Eastern China (maybe the AI is "defending" against the possibility of naval invasions?) - all they did was send tiny stacks to siege provinces but they got obliterated as soon as they got there.
At that point my warscore fluctuated around 20 and my wargoals were for ~10 points, but they never took the peace deal. I guess this was because they had so many more troops than my side did?
I reloaded pre war and tried to get France to join, which they did eventually. That however made things even worse, my victories in India barely made a dent in the warscore while the UK sank France's ships and all of France's troops sat uselessly on the mainland.

Any helpful tips?
How do I get the world's greatest power to make small concessions in a war?
How do I deal with the huge number of troops the UK can field? In EU3 I could use scorched earth on border provinces to make their stacks eat huge attrition, but I don't know what to do in V2.
In the battle screen their front line was much wider than mine, I'm assuming that's good. Is that a tech thing or an army composition thing? I was mainly using regulars with some cav/arty.
Can you even realistically get the UK out of India in the game's timeframe? It looks like even if I manage to liberate a couple of puttets and a region every war, I probably won't get there before the end of the game.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

ZearothK posted:

helpful stuff
Thanks, I'll try again.

I looked at one of the Steam threads on the EUIV forums and holy poo poo:

crazy person on PDX forums posted:

Steam is a botnet that tracks your activity. It can record and observe cookies from other programs (illegally) and Valve can then give those cookies and data to third-party sources.

Do not trust Steam, especially if your ideologies are not exactly palatable with your government's.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Put your mouse over the warscore bar in the diplo screen so we can see wtf is going on there. Russia must be occupying some high pop/ind provinces.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Sending people an email titled "Victoria 2 Heart of Darkness Beta" only to tell them they were NOT chosen is mean! The content of the email is fine, it explains their process and what they're looking for, I only have an issue with the title.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Somebody kick the hamster in the PDX forum's server, it just died.

As for the Steam button not working yet, their game unlocking technology isn't that great. Most of the time it takes 20-30 minutes to really unlock a game.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

With MOTE as my first Paradox game ever on Steam, what's that thing you have to do to make it stop trying to install MS .Net every time you launch it?
I was gonna say "delete the installscript.vdf" in the game's folder but mine is also doing it and the file isn't in the folder. I'm pretty sure that's how it worked for CK2.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Tahirovic posted:

I started a game as Brazil, set trade to automatic, lowered taxes of rich and middle to almost zero and focused my research on culture and industry (those RGO output techs seem really nice for Brazil).
To get a war going I build the 3 or 4 extra regiments the game allows me and immediately declared war on Paraguay to reclaim my cores. After occupying most of their provinces I added an "Aquire state" wargoal so I could take some extra land. Once this war was won I did the same for Uruguay. With some more war justifications I managed to eat up both those countries, but this kept my infamy maxed (I was at 24.93/25 at one point).
I'm not sure you're aware of this, you can keep using the "justify war" diplo action after the war has started to get cheaper additional war goals. Once a certain goal type has been justified, you can't do it again until it is added to the war screen, but once that is done you can justify it again and again as long as you keep adding them.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Kavak posted:

Minor Darkest Hour question, mostly for Kaiserreich: Is Anti-Tank Artillery worth researching? Hard Attack bonuses are difficult to come by, but a -2 penalty to Soft Attack sounds like too high a price to pay.
I am not an expert but I'd say don't research it when it becomes available. It will become more useful once overall army softness starts going down. IIRC there is also only a penalty on the very first research, all the others increase hard attacks without touching soft.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

quote:

In other WG news, you can no longer Justify Goals against nations you are at war with, but on the other hand, Goals you have a valid CB for no longer cost Jingoism to add to wars.
Booooo!I'm gonna get so much more badboy from that change. :(

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

I started a Kaissereich game as Japan and since I knew the Korean revolution was coming, I moved all my ground forces over there to be able to quickly deal with it. Once it happened, all my troops dropped to 0 org and just died on contact :argh:. Is that intended? Do I have to stick them all into Port Arthur and move from there?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

I seem to have broken Japan's expansion event chain. I picked messing with China first when the option came up. When the railway incident happened, I picked territory and they gave it. Then nothing happened for years, so I eventually declared war manually in 42, conquered Qing and released National China through the event. I'm now up to 45 and nothing has happened.
Looking at the event file, I'd need to occupy both Bejing and Guilin. The problem is that Guilin is part of the AOG and there's no more Qing to eat that territory. I remember Qing just annexing the AOG at some point from previous games but it didn't happen in this game. National China annexed the countries around the AOG but seems to ignore the AOG itself.
The script says control = { province = 1247 data = -3 } while other control parameters look like control = { province = 1726 data = GER }. WTF is data = -3?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

The HoI3 Collection is Steam's daily deal at 6.24$/€. I think that includes every DLC except TFH, which is also discounted by 75% to 2.49. I haven't tried the game with TFH yet, I was gonna buy it at that price but then a screenshot of the map came up in Steam reminding me there are just soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many provinces. Sigh.

Edit: Ok it's not every DLC in the collection but it's only sprite packs and you should play with counters not sprites!

Edit2: Just look at it! That's fom the Polish broder to Moscov, which is like 1/50th of the USSR.

Vodos fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 21, 2013

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

I have the Gamersgate versions of V2 and AHD, do I need to buy the GG version of HoD or can I install the Amazon version of it in case I buy it from them?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Amazon would be cheaper since I can pay $ instead of €.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

I need to stop watching these streams because I spend most of the time yelling at the people playing because they keep missing important stuff. For example the movement was for minimum wage and he kept lowering working hours instead, which lead to the shitloads of rebels. Or when they kept saying how they needed to wait for 1870 and then first missed 1870, then later missed the invention they were waiting for.
I know it's hard talking and playing at the same time, but drat.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

New EUIV DD about Burgundy and Netherlands. No new systems to look at, only thing I noticed in the screenshot is that the advisor cost rises very steeply, 1d for a rank 1, 4d for a rank 2 and 9d for a rank 3 advisor.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is there a specific command for giving RP, and if not, what's the best event for it?
debug researchpoints 20000
or whatever number you want

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

HoD is out on GG now!

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Yeah Portugal is releasing most of its colonies in my game too and uuuuhhh:

Is there anything I can do as Greece to speed up the crisis generation other than place the NF? It adds 0.15 but the decay and something about great powers lowers it by 0.8 + 0.6 so it's slow as gently caress.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

I may have skipped over this in a DD, is a crisis flaring up supposed to reset the progress of all other crises? My poor Greece will never grow if every dumb colonial fight in North America resets my progress :(

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Oh god has this always been in the vanilla game?

Scramble for Africa has just started in my game and for some reason the UK is focusing on the remaining American provinces instead of Africa. They have level 3 naval bases on the ivory coast and in south Africa so they don't lack opportunity.

Anyway, what's the difference between a protectorate and a "full" colony? The upgrade costs 20 points, is it worth it right away?

I might have to try and create glorious byzantine Africa now, do I have to completely dismantle the Ottomans before I can take Istanbul or is it like EU3 where cutting the capital off from the other provinces is enough to be able to grab it in the next war?

Ed: The crisis system is great, UK backed me every time and the Turks had to fork over state after state. My first crisis basically doubled my pop!

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Uuuuh guys, Alaska isn't that great...

I wanted to mess around with the dynamic dominions and used the console to grab much of Africa. The result isn't quite as expected.

Yes, that's the only nation I can release in Africa. I released Zanzibar earlier and Liberia (which didn't become a satellite, only sphered for some reason), this is all that's left now.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

There is a crisis currently active, wait for it to resolve then start your poo poo. it even shows in your tooltip.
That's not the reason, as Greece I could place the crisis NF while a crisis was active.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

So which country are you going to play in tonight's EUIV stream? I think you should pick Austria and gently caress with Poland and the Balkans for maximum fun!

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

It was in the latest Paradox newsletter:

quote:

4/25 Europa Universalis Franchise - 75% off!
In addition to the sale there is a live stream showing off Europa Universalis IV on the 25th at 6 p.m. GMT/ 7 p.m. BST / 8 p.m. CEST/ 11 a.m. PDT over at Twitch: http://twitchtv.com/paradoxinteractive

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Hmm they have some kind of friend recruitment scheme below the stream. DLC and poo poo for recruited friends, it just doesn't say what they mean by recruited. Ok looks like you just need people to register at their site, then you get a recruitment url that others can use to sign up at the site. There's no downside to using someone else's link to sign up, so make sure you use another goon's, like mine! http://signup.europauniversalis4.com/r/1549bc951cc

Vodos fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 25, 2013

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

I want this so bad, all the choices and system changes look amazing!

PDX guys, is the National Monuments DLC cosmetic or actual buildings you can build?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

I hope you have a way to check the people reaching the 100 friends, because it would be pretty lame if someone won a trip to the studio by just inviting emails he created himself.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Zip posted:

-Also the viccy 2 beta patch crashes me out 100 percent of the time. Each time after the intro movie ends. :(
Go figure.. beta patch but has any encountered this problem or found a work around?
Have you tried extracting the patch files to a new folder, then copying them over to the V2 folder yet? My game kept crashing until I did that, somehow the extracting/copying straight from the zip to the V2 folder wouldn't work correctly.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Wiz posted:

I meant to rewrite the sphering AI for HoD but ended up running out of time because more important stuff took priority.

It should be better in the beta patch though.
In my newest game with the beta patch and NNM, the NGF existed in 1844. I don't know when they formed because I hadn't really looked at Europe much before that. That's certainly a lot faster than the 1890 date the other guy had.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

I'm pretty sure you don't need Elsaß-Lothringen(!) to form the NGF in vanilla either.

Ed: I'm not good at reading this stuff, but I think this says you need all German cores with North German culture either in your country or your sphere.

code:
		allow = {
			war = no
			GER = {
				all_core = {
					OR = {
						OR = {
							owned_by = THIS
							owner = {
								in_sphere = THIS
							}
						}
						NOT = {
							culture = north_german
						}
					}
				}
			}
		}

Vodos fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 8, 2013

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Are the EU4 pre-orders going well? Better than CK2? Was CK2 actually strong on pre-orders or did the game's main success come after release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

EU4 stream starts in a little over an hour: http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

• Locked thread