Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Can't wait for the East v West mods that make Srbija and Bulgaria the greatest states of their time with thousands of nuclear missiles, as is historical. And yes I know that Serbia was part of Yugoslavia at the time, and I don't care :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Cycloneman posted:

Who do you plan to play as first when you get EU4? I'm going to play as the Inca and die horribly to the brutality of racist Swedes making it impossible for me to win. What about y'all?
Bhutan, and I shall take over the world.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Vodos posted:

Hmm they have some kind of friend recruitment scheme below the stream. DLC and poo poo for recruited friends, it just doesn't say what they mean by recruited.
You just get people to sign up to the website using your referral link. And speaking of which, here's mine http://signup.europauniversalis4.com/r/3b2757392e0
Gotta make 100!

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

pdxjohan posted:

Thats a nice way to describe "not profitable and made redundant"

Is that what also happened to your partnership with Slitherine Games years back?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I never played RUS but I did play their American Civil War game and Birth of America 2, I thought they were pretty cool. :shrug:
The WW1 game, which I think they published not developed, was pretty bad though.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Darkrenown posted:

If you make a high speed gif of the effects of swinging your mouse all over the map on the tech view it'll look just as confusing :shrug:
The regular CK2 tech screen is kinda lovely though, to see what the tech is in my capital province I have to mouse over the home province and then move the map screen around so when I move my mouse back to the tech screen it doesn't show the tech rates for some other province I don't give a poo poo about. At least that old gods tech screen seems to default show your capital province tech, which is pretty drat helpful as that's the province that matters most for tech. Also showing the tech progression rate and what is modifying it is a hell of a lot more clear in that old gods screenie and is a hell of a lot better. Really looking forward to the expansion.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

re. sound effect annoyances discussion from a few pages back. It annoys the hell out of me that music plays in certain screens in CK2, like in the council/advisor screen, while general game music is also playing. Why the hell would you even do that? :psyduck:
Then again I am a major sperg.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Fintilgin posted:

terrain relief shading
:spergin:

Although this did remind me that in EU Rome you could rotate and tilt the map. It's pretty much useless but I liked loving around with it anyway. I wish they'd include that in other Clausewitz engine games as an option.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I tried your file out and you're right, this does look so much better. I still maintain that your post was pretty drat spergin' though! :colbert:
The unit shadow direction thing doesn't bother me as I always play with unit shadows off anyway.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Or at the very least get it renamed.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Someone should tell Johan that he's not to be associated with this forum in any way. Poor guy.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Theres a combined arms bonus, forget the specifics now

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I played the first game they put out and it was total shite and from what I've heard about 2020 or whatever and Cold War they are also total shite.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Doesn't HOI3 already do that? Can't remember since it's been so long since I've played.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Hexes for life.
http://www.leanderk.de/kilian/wite_Z2.jpg

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Heh Johan just strolls by and mentions that MP will probably have to be cut and the guys who are developing the game can't even respond to it because of some NDA poo poo. You'd think they'd handle it a bit better than that, maybe via a community manager or something.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Fire and Darkness is a book in Oblivion/Skyrim, Skald is a character in Skyrim (note how Skald is capitalised in that sentence) and there's trolls in the elder scrolls game as well. So a Pox Elder Scrolls game?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Pakled posted:

I'm super hyped about the CK2 and EU4 DLC, but especially for Runemaster. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first time PDS has made a game that isn't Grand Strategy, right?

someone's forgetting the classic Airfix Dogfighter, the greatest pox game.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

quiggy stardust posted:

Will they still have literal trillions of provinces?

no because HoI3 has literally around 10k provinces, not trillions.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

They are also setting up a new dev studio, Paradox Arctic in Umeå made up of ex DICE and Starbreeze dudes.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

quote:

The consensus among mainstream archaeologists, anthropologists, ethnohistorians, linguists, and other modern pre-Columbian scholars is that there is no evidence of any such voyage reaching the Americas, and that there are insufficient evidential grounds to suppose there has been contact between Africa and the New World at any point in the pre-Columbian era.
yeah that sure showed him.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

They hosed up Alaska in pretty much every game 'till recently (vic2 I think), it was like that in the original EU's and HOIs. The HoI3 map was really loving terrible on release though, how can you gently caress up the placement of stalingrad so badly in a WW2 game?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Darkrenown posted:

Sure, I guess? I'm just saying that's not in the current version since there seemed to be confusion on the subject and "Haha, this is what HoI3 looked like 5 years ago before they changed it" didn't seem too topical.

yah but mocking devs for letting this happen in a released game is still amusing. also the changes require you to pay for some expansions. glad you guys sorted that out with CK2 and its dlcs, even if EU4 went a bit overboard with dumb poo poo on release.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

THS posted:

If Paradox makes an HOI4
If? they are.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Everyone was gearing up for a nice european war for the previous half century or so, almost kicked off a few times before ww1 did.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hasn't this been possible with Paradox's games since the Europa engine?

yeah you can do this in HoI3

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Rome had a tiltable and rotatable map, wish they'd enable that option in the other games.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

lol

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

^^ yup

someone else posted in that thread saying that johan said only 15% or so of people played the mp so yeah sp should really be the focus

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?789135-Some-playing-statistics-July-2014&p=17717447#post17717447
there it is, 15% of peeps play mp

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

also here's the thread where johan says he doesn't give a gently caress about the ai http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?789400-Basis-for-Truce-Time&p=17730111&viewfull=1#post17730111 if you want to read the regulars over there freaking out. everything about it is pretty lol

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

podcat posted:

I think we sometimes forget that people who play our games aren't necessarily on the same wave length. We have designed games this way for ages now. CK2 is basically an MMO, its just that most of the players are played by AI.

Also we should probably ignore knee-jerk rage threads from people who haven't actually had time to try the changes yet and put our energy into the gamers who do try and articulate stuff and back it up with reports.

Yeah very few jobs are like that. Imagine you made a car and some guy buys it and keeps driving by your house every day throwing poo poo at the wall and screaming that the car is terrible and that you should be fired, but still, he drives that car by every day rather than getting another one.

you guys should probably tell johan to not act like a kid on the forums, swearing at the people who buy your games and calling them idiots on the official forum is amateur as gently caress especially now you're a lot bigger company than you were in the early 00's. even if half the fanbase is full of retards, they're paying retards.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

podcat posted:

I think this is one of those culture clashes. I'v never understood the american "the customer is always right" mentality. If someone is abusive I think you have every right to be abusive back. As long as you listen and communicate people should man the gently caress up and not act like the world is coming to an end just because someone used the word "gently caress" to emphasise the emotional impact of the statement. Of course its better to just ignore it, but sometimes it feels good to let off some steam. The forum is a place of discussion, it isnt an official press release.

Game development is a passionate job. This isnt someone smacktalking your office excel sheet, this is someone coming over to your house for dinner and smack talking your interior decoration and the weight of your wife.
I'm not american, I'm pretty sure it's considered rude as poo poo to swear and insult your customers in most places in europe outside of the UK as well. and also quite unprofessional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

the eu3 map up till divine wind looked like poo poo

• Locked thread