Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Does anyone else get hung up on Paradox's registration screen? No matter how many times I refresh, the page erases my password and then loads indefinitely, never completing my registration. I just want to look at the mods. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Darkrenown posted:

This is stuff I can't answer in detail, but a bunch of us think the randomised new world idea is cool, and SI did well enough not to rule out further ahistorical DLCs.

Just give me an ahistorical game where I can rise to the top as First Nations people and I'll never stop giving you money. :allears:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Zip posted:

And yea I doubt I'll ever see this after that sunset invasion rage.

The only rage I get from Sunset Invasion is from the pounding the Aztecs just gave me. There goes making Britannia before 1453. :argh:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

esquilax posted:

I, for one, love how accessible the paradox devs are, and that we get actual responses instead of 'we appreciate your concern, Paradox Interactive strives to give the best gaming experience available.'

Isn't Blizzard the company that says "There's nothing wrong with our games, they're working as intended?" or am I thinking of some other sleazy company?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Should I play EU3 before getting 4 this summer? I've only ever played CK2, and it sounds like EU4 is going to look and play more like CK2.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Gorgo Primus posted:

Still waiting on either me to get around to playing the demo/buy the game or something who owns the game to help me do a summary.

YF-23 gave a quick review in his post about it last page.

YF-23 posted:

So I just won my first MotE game, playing as Russia. I first got a couple of states from Persia in the starting war (including I believe a Land Objective). Then I went to war with the Ottomans, who were fighting Austria at the same time. Surprisingly enough they had a hell of a navy; a stack of 40 ships, my Black Sea Fleet of 7 or so ships of the line was no match, and in the end I had to settle for the thin strip of the northern black sea coast that they have, plus Erzerum (that gave me Koci, a naval objective, but I was unable to take Batum, a land objective). After that I went to war with Prussia, taking the border provinces and having to stop shy off my objectives of Danzig and Warsaw. Well, after I got Batum (and a few more states) from the Ottomans in the next war with them (Austria was still fighting them! They'd occupied most of Ottoman Europe and peaced out for a very large chunk of it during my war) there was no point in caring for Warsaw since I was at 100% land domination (but still needed to dethrone France). In the end I took Danzig and the next coastal area from Prussia and forced them to release a German minor around Lubeck as my satellite, which placed me at 7/8 needed provinces for naval dominance; Great Britain had lost control of Gibraltar so that path was clear. I did another war with Prussia after that to connect my new satellite and the Baltic corridor I'd created from Prussia's coastal provinces before joining Britain's fight against France.

So onto the more interesting part of the game, I declare war on France, figuring I'd first knock them off land dominance before I attain naval dominance myself and find me the target of a coalition, and form a coalition against them (since Britain had dissolved its own for some reason). From my vassal's lands in Lubeck I invade the French provinces in northern Germany and quickly meet, during my siege of Bremen, the Grand Armée's full strength. It was by far the largest and most powerful army I'd seen up to then, my wars with Prussia and the Ottomans taught me to expect up to 60,000 troops at the same time at most. France exceeded that by far and caught my with my pants down.

That's around 160K Frenchmen and Dutchmen making mincemeat of my forward force.

I did manage to escape with much thanks to military access I'd received from Sweden in anticipation of disaster (the magnitude of which I'd vastly underestimated), using Swedish-controlled Kiel to escape the wrath of the French in Bremen, and a transport fleet I'd built in anticipation of an eventual invasion of Denmark to complete naval dominance through Copenhagen. It was during this initial confrontation that I realised the sheer power of March to the Sound of Guns; you think you're fighting against a medium-sized enemy force during your retreat but within a couple days the superior quantity and quality of the enemy forces is devastating your own.

So at this point I make my hasty retreat. I couldn't scortch the earth at this point to devastate the French in their advance, but regardless I retreat my forces all the way to Danzig, and also call in the Austrian border guards (amounting for another 50,000 troops). I had, of course, thought that I might have to retreat all this way, and made sure to load up a huge garrison 0f 20K troops in Danzig, which itself has a level 2 fort. Danzig is behind a river, and there my land corridor is two provinces wide on the eastern side and three wide on the western side. My troops were still reinforcing and I was not feeling ready to fight a battle yet so I'd left its province unoccupied to let them sit there and suffer attrition. The French quickly overtook everything else in the corridor up to Danzig, and started sieging it with about 60K troops, as just as many behind the river. After they'd lost a good chunk of their forces (their stack sieging Danzig was down to 47K), I attacked. I did not expect it, but the battle was a resounding success; the French units from the other side of the river didn't join in, and in the end what was left of the initial ~120,000 French troops was this:

The definition of a bottleneck.

Following that I pushed all the way to Bremen again, got pushed out again, but Austria took the opportunity so France couldn't push into my lands again. When I regrouped and attacked France again, I was not pushed back again; I took their north German stuff, went into the Netherlands (which was a drat slog because it seemed like only three or four of the Dutch provinces did not have a city or a fort), and pushed into France proper; resistance was minimal, as French forces were probably focusing on Austria, and there was a last-ditch effort with 20K troops to stop me when I reached Paris; by then I'd taken Brussels, and without that and Hannover France had dropped from Land Dominance and I held that post. By that point 20,000 troops was formidable, I don't think any of the stacks I was fielding had more than 25K troops left, and two or three were under 10K, but I persevered, Paris fell, and Napoleon was finally made ready to accept defeat and make concessions. By then, late 1818, I had 49% warscore and he'd accept a peace up to 24, which was just enough to take all that France had in North Germany and Brussels (which came with a tiny shore and brought with it ugly borders).

I regrouped quickly, and as the game was ending soon, declared war on Denmark as soon as a good chunck of my forces had reinforced. Prussia joined on their side but they didn't matter, all I needed to do was capture Copenhagen to win. Of course, two days before my forces landed there Sweden had landed 100,000 troops of its own, cutting off my way to victory. Well, the solution to that was simple. Wait with Sweden until Copenhagen fell, let them to off siege someplace else in Denmark, declare war and capture it from them. And that I did in my most gamey deed all game.

My strategy with Russia was exactly what you'd expect; throw men at the enemy, retreat, reinforce, throw more men at the enemy. It was almost stereotypical; other than the relief of Danzig there were no big battles, no big battles that I won at least. It was a war of attrition, pure and simple, I let myself take damage knowing that in the long run I could recover from it easier than the French could from their own losses.

All in all, this was extremely gamey and much different than other Paradox games, Hearts of Iron included. In fact, I wouldn't call it a Grand Strategy game at all; it reminds me more of an actual classic strategy board game than what anyone has learned to expect from previous Pdox games (which is merely an observation and not in any way criticism; I had a lot of fun, and that's without having touched the multiplayer yet). It should be treated as a board game when considering its strengths and weaknesses, or when you consider a purchase.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Torabi posted:

Last time I checked I couldn't make myself a Zoroastrian character with the king maker dlc thing. The option was grayed out.

You will be able to in the Old Gods DLC.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Does anyone still have an EUIII Chronicles (that's the most complete version, correct?) steam code from that amazon sale a while back? I've finally united Ireland in CK2 and want to see this through. And I also want to understand how this loving game works before EUIV.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

V for Vegas posted:

sent you a PM.

Thanks! :D

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Alright, I'm tried of fighting retard colonial wars because I'm a part of the Shaman religion. How do I convert? I know I have to force the conversion somehow through warring, but what do I need to do exactly? Or is there a console command I can use?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

SeaTard posted:

You need to have the western_influences modifier, and have a neighbor that is western + one of catholic/protestant/reformed. It has a MTTH of 5000 months, so it's pretty loving rare.

decision convert_to_catholic

Thanks. It's 1606 and I'm fully westernized save for that. I wouldn't care if people couldn't just declare war on me whenever.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

DrSunshine posted:

Isn't that generally the case with history education in most every country? Public school social studies is for the glorification of the State and the indoctrination of the citizens, not a means of educating children about the history of the world.

Oh my god, once I learned what really happened to the Native Americans during colonial times I began to hate American history. I feel like I was completely and utterly lied to my entire life. Doesn't help that I'm also part Native American as well.

Paradox games did get me super interested in Irish history, but not well enough for me to switch from a Film major to a History one. Especially in my senior year.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
So I just bought Victoria II and Hearts of Iron III, any place for me to get a tutorial like those LPs for CK2 and EUIII?

Also, should I buy A House Divided or should I wait for it to go on sale?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Just bought AHD, but I'm a cheap motherfucker who can't afford to make a $20 purchase with rent and utilities on the way. :negative:

So, what is the most terrible country to play for a first game? I like playing as a confusing mess the first time around because it gives me more reason to just cheat at the start to get the formula and mechanics down without too much trouble. Call it a tutorial if you will.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Wait wait wait, I can only choose between two dates in V2: AHD? And I can't select any other dates (neither of which seem interesting)?

Welp, back to EUIII I guess.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Necroneocon posted:

I asked this question way back, but is there a way to turn of loaning money to countries in Vicky 2?

I would also really like to know as well, because gently caress all these landlocked German states going bankrupt and preventing me from reaching their little province. :argh:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
So, are you supposed to always have a standing army in V2 and HoI3? I'm used to Crusader Kings where you didn't want an army out all the time since that would cause rebellions.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

Basically I want to play a game that's a mix of civilizations history-spanning scope and paradox's focus on detail, history and realism. And isn't stepp wolf.

I've come to the realization that the only way I'll ever get a game like that is if I made it myself.

I'm in the planning stages of Ancient Egypt. :smithicide:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I put my application in, now to start kissing rear end to Wiz and podcat and the rest of the developers that post in this thread. :getin:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
As the Kingdom of Ireland I had to fight battle the Theocracy of England and their numerous Crusades against me. My game got all kinds of weird that time. The Pope lived in England and the Papal States were run by a Doge. :psyduck:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

James The 1st posted:

:siren:HoD is $13 on Amazon!:siren:

But it's not for Steam. :negative:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
The entire point the loving conflict was to not go to nuclear war. :negative: I know that the threat of nuclear war was always at hand, but everyone knew that one missile would be the end to all things, not just a country.

I really hope that after launching a nuke and facing retaliation the world just slowly dies off so you know how stupid of a choice that was.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
So I've tried playing as the California Republic and I was unable to build any military units. What gives? I can't loving understand this game. :negative:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

SeaTard posted:

The lovely part is now I can't talk about eu4 anymore :smith:

Of course you can, you just won't ever get onto another beta, ever. :v:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I know the developers read this thread more often than the CK2 thread so I'll post this here.

There might be a bug with ruler designer and TOG. I made an Irish pagan ruler in 867 and when I went to the Religion tab it CTD'd. I'm not sure if it was because there are no pagans in the game it seems or something unrelated.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

uPen posted:

If HOI3 is in the basement where is Rome? :ohdear:

Behind the shed. :woof:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I feel like the Cold War era and beyond would fit a CKII game than a HOI game. It's all about popularity, not war. If you weren't popular you couldn't get poo poo done (Carter, for example). If you were popular you could get away with anything (Reagan for another example). Add in propaganda events and have a cabinet of advisers and...

...god damnit I need to stop thinking about this. :negative:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

PleasingFungus posted:

After Clinton dies, Bush inherits America, but Gore contests the results and begins a succession crisis. In the ensuing chaos, restive minor governors see their chance and launch the Texan Independence League Revolution against Bush. Mexico invades Arizona; Canada conquers Michigan. Detroit converts to the Lollard heresy.

(I'm not sure that CK2 is a very reasonable model for modern politics.)

Well yeah it would require a lot of work, maybe more Vicky 2 with Crusader King's character system. Just not HoI.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
A CK2 character system would work a lot better with a revamped government system to simulate elections. Have it focus on your political party instead, push new laws that help push your party to leadership. I mean, like I said earlier in the thread, what they have going is not anything like the Cold War.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Rejected Fate posted:

So what are the chances they'll edit the political map colours before release? Because they look really ugly, and they must be aware of it because I always see complaints.

I mean I'm guessing they'll be a mod of it pretty quickly, but it seems like something that could quickly be fixed before release. They just seem a little too bright and shiny. Odd texture to them or something.

I also noticed that Orthodoxy is still the original brown color unlike the Byzantine purple color it was changed to in CK2.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

John Charity Spring posted:

I'm always confused about people who say that - and you're not the only one in this thread who says it regularly - because in vanilla EU3, in all the expansions, and from extensive experience with Miscmods Divine Wind, I've seen both Russia and Spain form in the majority of my games. Spain almost always ends up eating Portugal, too, and becoming one of the most powerful nations; Russia is less stable and I've seen it fall apart again after formation a fair few times.

In my Shawnee campaign England never formed Great Britain because it was always at war with Wales, Scotland and Ireland who all had an alliance together. Castile never formed Spain either, the Ottomans never conquered the Byzantines and France was completely wiped off the map.

Sometimes this game doesn't follow history.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Lord Windy posted:

I think they could do both a Sandbox and a really good Roman Empire. Do something like CK2, where they make the base game just about the Romans, and then release DLCs that add in functionality for Carthage, Greek city states and etc.

I couldn't agree more. I love to screw around with history (and then port it over to the next game) so being able to start at the fall of Rome (or rise :hist101:) would be even more fun.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
You should make it Western and Eastern Americans, because there is a major divide between the West Coast and East Coast, especially when it comes to governmental issues. (ie, the East is favored more over the West)

Plus it would be a nice change from Yankee and Dixie, which barely exists anymore.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

A Buttery Pastry posted:

How so? Merely curious here. Anyway, wouldn't having multiple white American cultures kinda not work in Victoria? Given that certain policies would prevent some white Americans from voting? Seems like it makes more sense to just have cultures for the ones who are likely to be the victims of policies that hinder their ability to vote, such as African-Americans. Basically, American cultures should be based on race in the modern day, though that's kinda doesn't work with the way assimilation functions.

The U.S. capital is located on the East Coast. Most money goes towards the East coast, West coast gets gypped. A great example is disaster response. When a major gas explosion hit a neighborhood in California, there was no FEMA response, while anytime a storm hits the East coast FEMA, the President, hell everyone shows up because it's a quick drive over, compared to the several hours plane ride it takes to get to the West coast.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Meh, everyone I work with seem to feel like the East coast gets more poo poo than we do. :/ Then again, these same people wish Jefferson was a state.

But then again, I feel like the U.S. capital should be more in the center of the U.S. so... :negative:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
As a fellow hater of HoI 3, would it be better to purchase HoI 2?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

PleasingFungus posted:

It probably depends what you hate about HoI 3, but if you're going to buy anything, I believe the recommended purchase is Darkest Hour.

Is there more to do in HoI 2 (or Darkest Hour) that isn't military related? Military micromanagement is not something I enjoy, at all.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

ExtraNoise posted:

Alright, I'm going to try editing some pop files now that I'm home using the advice and tools discussed over the last few pages.

Wish me luck...

Listening to how difficult it is to mod Vicky II makes me dread the inevitable modding I'll have to do for my mega-campaign.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Fintilgin posted:

EDIT: Except sometimes they don't. Sometimes they seem to move all the way smoothly. Confused. :confused:

Probably still a work in progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Damnit Paradox, stop trying to make me break my "no preorders, ever" rule. :negative:

• Locked thread