Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
If you want the dev titles to be more correct, Johan is studio manager rather than lead coder, while Podcat is lead coder for the expansion team.

I disagree that HoI3 forces you to let the AI fight for you, it really doesn't :(

Perhaps it'd be worth mentioning in the CK2 section that all versions are Steam compatible except for GG, and that you can't use Steam DLC on the GG version or vice-versa?

A Buttery Pastry:
Right o, just came right after some posts relating to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Alchenar posted:

The major land campaign of WW2, Germany vs Russia (ie. the fun bit most people buy the game for), requires you to have the AI fight for you.

Germany is my most played country and I never use AI army control. You can prefer it, that's fine, saying it is required is not true though.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Looks like we're not getting another EU4 dev dairy again this week. Why do you have to bust my balls like this, Paradox? :argh:

EUIV team is still on their holidays, the slackers!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
It's what Johan does in MP :(

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Zettace posted:

I recently bought Divine Wind and my Heir to the Throne savefile loads up but crashes almost immediately. Are the save files between expansions not compatible?

No.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Well you don't have to play the game. You can watch the AI play it.

Or you could play some parts and let the AI carry out your plan in other parts, crazy I know! HoI3 really isn't the only game in the world with AI automation options.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Most 4x games have planetary/city governors, the Civ games also have automate worker options, Galciv2 has rally points/auto fleets/and neat automated constructor ships, Distant Worlds can also be almost entirely run by the AI for you...

Did you have some point?

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 9, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wonder if it means something that liked both that* and HOI3 :ohdear:

* This was before our household had regular internet access and I really had no idea that it was universally panned.

You know, I was so excited about MoO3 I couldn't wait for my pre-order copy to arrive in the mail, so I ran out on release day and bought a 2nd copy figuring I could give the other one away to someone as a gift later.

:(

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Nolanar posted:

I'm playing through EUIII for the first time (as Castille), and I have a couple questions.

Inflation: is there anything I can do about it besides having the right advisor and the national back idea? Just keeping my budget balanced lets it creep up steadily, and stops me from doing much else.

There's no pressing need to balance your monthly budget, you get a lump sum on the first day of each year, as long as you don't go below 0 you don't need to be making money each month.

Gort posted:

There's a point at which automation is just covering for bad design in a game and I believe Hearts of Iron 3 and Master of Iron 3 are both at that point.

Incidentally, I never use Civ's automate worker options because they do dumb things, rally points/auto armies etc are an example of good automation that Hearts of Iron 3 doesn't have, and Distant Worlds is a game I haven't played.

I never used worker AI in Civ either. I also didn't use governors in any 4x before the very endgame sometimes, nor do I use automation in HoI3 for the most part. That's the amazing secret: Just because there's AI options doesn't mean you have to use them!

You don't need GC2 style rally points in HoI, because unlike GC where you build units on different planets and have to move them together to form fleets, in HoI you deploy all units from a central pool. However, if you automate an army and give it a target somewhere it will certainly move to attack/defend that area, including overseas if you attach some transports. HoI3 also has automated army options to a far greater extent than GC2 had automated fleets (Auto fleet option was "Once you have a fleet, attack nearest enemy"), so I really have no idea what you're talking about there.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Gort posted:

The game is too boring not to use the AI automation. There are simply too many provinces for me to care about.

Are we going to go over this again?

I dunno, why jump in to the conversation if you don't actually want to have it? If you don't like HoI3 I really don't care, but if you post blatantly false things about it I am going to dispute them.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Gort posted:

Takes two to tango. You replied to me, after all.

Game sucks, sorry.

Yes, I have no problem talking about how you're wrong when you post lies: You're the one who hopped in with some snark and wants to back out when I reply to your terrible posts.

Tell me more about how everyone who likes the game is wrong and you're the one true font of correct video game opinions though :allears:

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 10, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Shanakin posted:

I really want to play HoI3 and I don't mind dealing with a million provinces etc but its the only game I've ever had that genuinely takes 20 minutes to load the main menu. Every other paradox game, hell everything else ever, is fine but I've launched HoI3 twice and I just can't deal with that.

What version are you using? And did you let it load up fully before trying again? The only reason it should take extra long to load up is if it has to generate the map cache (you'll see lots of messages about quads) which should only happen the first time you load it, and even then it should be like 5 mins max on a PC that can run the game.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Gort posted:

Please show me some "lies" I told about a game I don't like.

"Game sucks, sorry."
Can you prove the game objectively sucks? Are you actually honestly sorry?

"rally points/auto armies etc are an example of good automation that Hearts of Iron 3 doesn't have"

The claim that HoI3 doesn't have automated armies is false, as is the claim that GC2 has better automated fleets than HoI3 has automated units, and condemning the lack of rally points without acknowledging the different production models is at least dishonest.

"lie" was the wrong word though, I posted in a rush, I meant to say "post dishonestly". When you post or agree with posts saying that it's impossible to play the game without automating everything, it's dishonest. When I say HoI3 is not the only game with automation options and you bring up Moo3 it's a dishonest attempt to imply that only bad games have such options when it is in fact a fairly common thing in strategy games. When you present your opinion as fact that is dishonest.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Shanakin posted:

Yeah, I've tried it a few times. I've even timed it all the way to the main menu (it was about 19 minutes). I well and truly surpass the minimum requirements. Semper Fi seems to be the only expansion I have and a couple of sprite packs. I think I bought them on a steam sale a couple of years ago.

Do you get the message about "creating quads" etc? Or if not, what's it saying at the bottom of the screen for most of the time? Are you running it as an Admin? Have you tried just reinstalling it?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Gort posted:

Eh? The game doesn't have rally points. It would be nice if I could set a rule where every time I had, say, six divisions of infantry built I could have them automatically. I have no experience with GalCiv, so I think saying that's a lie is either bad writing on my part or bad reading on yours.

The example of rally points and auto fleets I gave was from GC2, I said "Galciv2 has rally points/auto fleets/and neat automated constructor ships" to which you replied "rally points/auto armies etc are an example of good automation that Hearts of Iron 3 doesn't have", so I explained that GC2 style rally points make no sense in HoI3 and that it does have "auto armies".

The rest of it is you presenting your opinion as fact, saying you don't like the game or that you think it sucks is one thing, that is your opinion. Saying flat out that it sucks or that you can't play without automating everything is false though, plenty of other people, some posting in this very thread in the last few pages, play it differently and enjoy it. That there's a difference between saying "I think something is X" and "Something is X" should not be news to you.

Rudi Starnberg posted:

Oh Gort and Darkrenown, never stop. :allears:

We're the gift that keeps on giving. Still, in other news, did you see the CK2 1.09 patch notes yet?

quote:

MAJOR:
- Merchant Republic gameplay (Duke or higher tier Republics with a coastal capital)
- Added a 'Grant Independence' diplomatic interaction
- Titles can now automatically change name depending on the culture of their top liege
- The Reign length opinion modifiers are now dependent on how long a character has been the liege of someone, not how long the primary title has been held
- Added 1241 Bookmark - "The Mongols"
- Save file transfer now works on Mac
- Reduced max demesne size from ruler tier, especially for Dukes
- Reduced the effect of Stewardship on max demesne size (now 15%, down from 25%.)
- Added a max demesne size bonus (+1) for dukes with more than one duchy
- Increased the Prestige effects of a rank difference in marriages by a factor of 5
- All merc regiments now grow in max size over time
- Added more mercenary bands: Finns, Lapps, Abyssinians, Nubians, Lithuanians, Scots, Irish and Alans
- Added Ultimogeniture succession law
- Added Tanistry succession law

MINOR:
- Fixed a bug with religions that have become or stopped being heresies not being correctly reset on reload
- Sunset Invasion: Slightly increased the arrival strength of the Aztecs
- Increased the strength of the Timurids
- Added a hidden event that clears diplomatic immunity from faction members if the faction leader dies while waiting for the liege response to an ultimatum
- When forming the Roman Empire, de jure assimilation into the Byzantine Empire is now carried over
- Fixed a bug allowing you to declare excommunication wars on lieges above your immediate liege (the war would then invalidate)
- AI: Will not attach units to allied units unless they are in the war target area
- Fixed a bug where a king who was also emperor lost the empire title in a civil war, but retained all dukes as vassals under the kingdom
- Fixed a crash in the province view
- Retinues no longer cost maintenance when you are out of money ( since they do not reinforce when you are out of money )
- Fixed a rare crash that could occur when a character was exiled from the last existing republic
- Fixed a bug with de jure withdrawal out of empires where the counter would reset and nothing would happen
- AI: Infinitesimal chance that the AI will fold to faction demands from tiny factions
- Fixed some bugs with the outcomes of the Imperial Reconquest CB
- Fixed a bug with characters not always returning correctly from foreign courts
- Fixed a CTD with the GamersGate in-game store API if there was a network error
- Forbidding councillors from leading armies is now saved
- Forbidding councillors from leading armies will no longer lead to an out of sync in multiplayer
- Fixed issue where a settlement could be awarded to an enemy after a siege was won
- Character screen no longer moves to front when it updates its data
- When creating a new unit one subunit will automatically transfer over if the selected unit has at least two
- Added a message for when someone takes over as a faction leader
- Prerequisite building missing text in building tooltip is now localized
- Fixed issue where character browser was showing some rulers when set to "all characters" and "no rulers"
- AI: Fixed a somewhat borked odds calculation vs attached units
- Army AI: Fixed an indecision issue - will be more determined to hunt down certain armies
- Army AI: Fixed a bug with splinter armies putting the whole agent into retreat mode
- Army AI: Fixed a rare collection livelock issue if a splinter army was besieging a holding
- Army AI: Fixed a glitch with the potential target province calculation due to moving enemy units
- Claimant Factions are no longer valid for non-elective titles if the claimant has no claim
- Fixed a confusing "any demesne title" trigger tooltip
- Removed the kingdom of Pommerania from the de jure HRE
- Liege levy maintenance cost is now shared with sub vassals
- The old liege now only gets weak claims on members of successful independence factions
- Fixed a rare crash in AI flank leader unit assignment
- Fixed an issue that could allow vassals of vassals to launch independence faction wars
- Independence faction wars are now invalidated if the pre-war liege becomes vassalized himself
- Fixed a bug where the successor of an Ecumenical Patriarch (or a vassal Pope) could change religion to the liege's.
- Vassals of vassals can no longer start claimant factions for claimants in another realm
- You now correctly gain Piety for granting bishoprics to courtiers
- Muslim rulers no longer get Piety for creating a random mosque holder
- Hamburg and Celle now have ports
- Province of Alexandria adjusted to include the site of the actual city
- Gender corrections to certain characters
- Added missing parents for Roupen I of Armenia Minor
- Fixed broken House Oitir dynasty
- Fixed several Mongol characters having the wrong religion
- Constantine de Hauteville is no longer female
- Gytha Thorkelsdottir now has the correct deathdate
- Louis d'Evreux now has the correct mother
- Fixes to Václav II and descendants
- William 'Adelin' now has the correct deathdate
- Miscellaneous database corrections to the de Luxembourg dynasty
- Miscellaneous database corrections for the Normans and the 1st Earl of Chester
- Fixed the birthdate of Saint Louis IX of France and his brother Robert of Artois
- Switched culture for two characters from Irish to Scottish
- Fixes to Danish and Norwegian bastards
- Added the Hvide Bishops of Roskilde
- The culture of Khwarizm now changes to Turkish at the correct date
- Updated the Jarls of Västergötland
- Fixed various issues with wrong or missing mothers for Frankish characters
- Fixed the lineage of Erik III of Denmark
- Added new Maghreb Wikipedia links
- Tweaked deathdate of Mubashir, Duke of Mallorca, and made him eunuch
- Fixed the spelling of the de Cuiseaux dynasty
- Corrections to the Af Sverker family
- Fixes to the ruler history of the Perigord and La Marche counties
- The Pirate King Kyrillos is now correctly imprisoned when captured through event
- Added dynasty and descendants to Umar ibn Khattab
- Fleshed out the the Rassid dynasty of Yemen
- Additions to the Banu 'Amir dynasty and its descendants
- Various changes and additions to the Hammudid dynasty
- Added the Mayzadids of Hillah
- Updated the Scottish name list
- Minor changes and additions to the Italian name list
- The Umayyad and Hashimid now have Muslim-style Coats of Arms
- Added some missing Dukes of Brittany
- Namechanges for several Scottish characters
- Constantinople is now protected by the Theodosian Walls
- Some corrections to Swedish kings and their families
- Links for Hungarian names added
- Changes to the Baltic pagan setup
- Corrections to Birger Jarl's family line
- All Armenian characters are now Miaphysite
- Added descriptive texts of all buildings
- Fixed issue with certain buildings referring to an obsolete Seljuk title
- Updated the credits
- Basra and Tigris now have the correct ruler in 1152
- Blocked claimant factions for vassals of vassals under Medium or higher crown authority
- Blocked most factions for vassals of vassals under Medium crown authority in addition to High and Absolute
- Fixed a problem with the limit of children for heirs
- AI: Fixed a bug with it not dismissing liege levies when done with them
- The pre-spawned 1066 conquest armies in England now suffer normal attrition
- Event spawned civil war armies now suffer normal attrition
- Made the bastard birth event (450) more common
- If married, women now fool their husbands about the parentage of children born from the bastard birth event (450)
- Fixed a bug with kingdom adjudication and barony tier titles under lieges with split allegiances
- Lowered the inheritance chance a bit for most congenital traits
- Fixed some glitches with the Mongol conversion events
- There is now a chance that the Ilkhanate will convert to Nestorianism
- There is now a small chance that the Golden Horde will convert to Nestorianism
- AI: Tweaked the effect of the Content trait on the creation and joining of Claimant factions
- AI: A bit smarter about launching claimant ultimatums
- Diplomacy View: Fixed a minor prestige tooltip issue when marrying lowborn characters
- AI: Vassals of a conqueror's title should not support claimants of another culture
- DoW AI: Now more aware of the possibility of mercs and the military value of Gold
- AI: More keen on using mercs if even slightly outnumbered
- AI: Very rich states are now more likely to use multiple merc regiments if needed
- Renamed the merc fleets after sea zones
- Added a hidden event to disband William's special invasion fleet
- AI: Lords and their heirs always answer each other's call to wars
- AI: Fixed a bug that could prevent the passing of laws
- AI: Smarter about trying to institute Agnatic-Cognatic law
- Retinues are now correctly passed on to the _player_ successor, not the primary title successor
- Fixed a crash bug in the Diplo and Province views with character with a null list of enemies
- Fixed a bug where characters inherited debts
- Fixed a minor bug in the effect 'vassalize_or_take_under_title' that would allow vassalization of unvassalizable titles like the Hashashin
- The religious CB now vassalizes lords of your own religion in the target Duchy
- AI: Fixed an issue where lords would marry off their councillors matrilineally to lowborn courtiers
- Fixed a bug with succession law opinions of children not of their parent's dynasty
- Optimized the line of succession calculation code
- AI: Fixed some bugs with elective successor choices
- Fixed (hopefully) a gross bankruptcy bug with the 'transfer_scaled_wealth' effect
- AI: External powers now more aggressive against civil war revolters
- Various code speed optimizations
- Fixed another bug with dead character in the Allies list
- AI: Husband and Wife always answer each other's calls to war
- Reversed the order of rulers in the Title History View (latest now on top)
- Invasion AI: Fixed a bug where fleets were afraid of loaded armies on enemy fleets
- Army AI: Fixed a brain death issue when under invasion by a Mercenary company whose unit was destroyed
- Army AI: Fixed an issue where it would not raise its own demesne ships
- AI: Will tend to hand out the latest acquired baronies rather than the oldest
- The Traitor opinion is now inherited by ruler successors
- Calling someone to war now makes them dislike you by the same amount you will like them for answering
- Conquerors (rulers of conquered titles) can now call on rulers from back home (Cultural Bonds) while defending against other cultures
- Fixed a rare crash in the Diplomacy View
- The 'vassalize_or_take_under_title' effect now correctly restores the taker liege afterward
- Fixed a bug where certain event effects in CBs could take Patrician titles
- Fixed a bug with the backend poster not having a HTTP POST timeout
- Fixed a bug with the random seed in event effect descriptions not matching the actual effect
- Fixed a bug where rampaging mercs would make an invalid DoW
- Fixed a bug preventing you from nominating bishop successors
- Muslim pulse events are now triggered correctly
- Fixed misplaced IF in decadence_invasion
- Added additional rulers to Chalkidike in the history database
- Chancellor event while improving relations is now properly triggered
- Fixed error in polygamy event
- Fixed issue with event where a character tries to free his/her spouse
- Added missing parents to several Arabic characters
- Added additional Alan dynasties
- Fixes to several Welsh dynasty names
- Some Armenian dynasty names are now Greek as intended
- Fixed the dynasty of Udalard de Besalu
- Characters older than 50 will no longer fight in tournaments
- Fixed pronoun error in Guardian event
- Removed superfluous church opinion effect from several Muslim-only event modifiers
- Fixed issue where the wife of a courtier could suggest a new Lord Spiritual
- Fixed option effect in event 1009
- Added additional Irish and Welsh dynasties and characters

FOR MODDERS:
- The event trigger and effect 'any_faction_backer' without a 'faction' field now work for the backers of all factions
- The 'copy_title_history' effect now also copies de jure assimilation
- Fixed some bugs with the 'de_jure_liege_or_above' and 'de_jure_vassal_or_below' triggers
- Character event flags are now shown in the portrait debug tooltip
- The modifier 'assassinate_chance_modifier' on the acting ruler now has an effect
- Added trigger 'is_at_sea'
- Added trigger 'is_patrician'
- Added trigger 'is_merchant_republic'
- Removed unused on actions 'on_siege_won' and 'on_siege_list'.
- Added on action 'on_siege_over' which triggers for all characters in the province
- Exported PATRICIAN_CAMPAIGN_FUND_FACTOR to defines
- Exported DOGE_SUCC_RANDOM_FACTOR to defines
- Added effects 'embargo' and 'lift_embargo'
- Added trigger 'has_trade_post'
- Added event target 'trade_post_owner'
- Added event effect 'seize_trade_post'
- Added 'attrition' field to the 'spawn_unit' effect. This is an attrition multiplier.
- Added 'cuckoo' (impregnation) console command
- Added 'culture = random' to 'create_character' and related event effects
- Added 'rep_trade_posts' Plot type
- Added define 'ENFORCE_ONE_OF_EACH_HOLDING' (Require players to build at least one City, Temple and Castle in each province)
- Added event target 'plot_target_province'
- Added a 'capital_holding' event target
- Added trigger 'num_of_trade_posts'
- Added trigger 'num_of_trade_post_diff'
- Added event trigger 'any_trade_post'
- Added event effect 'any_trade_post'
- Added event effect 'random_trade_post'
- Added 'same_religion = yes' field to the effect 'vassalize_or_take_under_title'. It will only vassalize rulers of the taker's religion
- Added 'is_patrician' filter to events
- Increased max demesne size limit for Patricians by 1 (define DEMESNE_MAX_SIZE_PATRICIAN)
- Added trigger 'any_attacker' (war scope)
- Added trigger 'any_defender' (war scope)
- Added 'inherit' field to opinion modifiers

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Gort posted:

Rally points make perfect sense. Auto-deploying newly built units somewhere would save a bunch of clicking. A system to automate the building of armies along the lines the user sets would also make sense.

HoI3 has neither, so my reply was far from a dishonest lie.

Why are you still going on about this? We've already established you missed that I was talking about GC2's version of these features.

Gort posted:

You're strawmanning, and pedantic . Quote where I said the game can't be played without automation.

That's what I was arguing against when you leaped into the conversation with me, and you've followed up with:
"The game is too boring not to use the AI automation. "
and
"Likewise, HoI3. There comes a point when the inflated province counts make conducting a war an unfun slog. You then fall back on the AI generals [snip]"

Gort posted:

And if you can't make the logical leap between a post that says, "This game sucks" and "This poster thinks the game sucks" without a multi-page argument, you must be new to the Internet.

Hey it only took you ~3 posts to clarify this, are you also new to the internet? I guess you are, because you are apparently unaware that many people actually mean a game is objectively bad when they say it sucks rather than that they personally don't like it. I read posts, not minds.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

canada jezus posted:

Does anyone know how the various paradox games run on a intel hd 4000? Specifically eu 3 and ck2.

Think so, several people here say it works anyway:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?614242-Will-Intel-HD-4000-handle-Paradox-titles

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Gort posted:

You haven't established anything of the kind. All you've done is misread a post and attempt to muddy the waters with trivia.

What? I gave an example of features in Galciv2, you talked about them for a bit and then said you'd never played Galciv2. So you either misunderstood my post or..I don't know, something?

Gort posted:

So you can't actually back up your statements about what I said, and are now attributing others words to me.

What the hell are you talking about? You said those exact things, here's the posts:

Gort posted:

The game is too boring not to use the AI automation. There are simply too many provinces for me to care about.

Gort posted:

Likewise, HoI3. There comes a point when the inflated province counts make conducting a war an unfun slog. You then fall back on the AI generals,

You seem to be seriously confused about what we're actually talking about.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 10, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Shanakin posted:

So I spent the past few hours messing around with it. I played with USSR for a while then I had an idea to do go to a backward nation in the middle of nowehere like Australia in 1936 and turn on instant construction and research for a year. Much to my amusement, once 1939 rolls around, a nuclear armegeddon of 50 nukes marked the opening salvos of each new front, with an equal retaliation. Sadly by the time 1940 rolled around the game had so many units in it was just too laggy.

Ha, yeah, those cheats apply to the AI too so they will all be max teched and have built a lot more units than normal.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

I think we should set up Gort and Darkrenown for a trial by combat, with Steppe Wolfe being the weapon of choice.

Aren't there international treaties against that?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

You know what would make EU4 the best game ever? Bringing back Falalalan. That song was awesome.

Isn't there a Falalalan version in the EUIII music pack? I haven't actually got it, but I heard it mentioned.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Gorgo Primus posted:

I'm so sick and tired of you guys badmouthing HOI4! You don't have to set troop breathing to automated to play; you just have to pause every other second to go through the chain of command and remind them to breath in new oxygen and exhale CO2. Personally I find it the immerse challenge rather fun. :colbert:

Finally someone gets it!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

New EU4 Dev Diary. Honestly this was pretty disappointing to me, though the new UI looks nice. I was hoping for things to be closer to CK2, and 'aggressive expansion' seems like BB in all but name (are people still going to get pissed off because you conquered provinces that they don't even know exist?)

It's not really the same, no. I assume a later DD will give more details.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 18, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

It would be cool if it did, but in the dev diary screenshot you see a vassal and ally that's pissed at you because of Aggressive Expansion, which is a different penalty from Conquered Our Province.

That does look like Aggressive Expansion works like the old badboy in terms of hurting relationships with all countries (though not necessarily anything else). Darkrenown, am I guessing wrong?

All I can say at the moment is bear in mind these are alpha screenshots, don't take specific values in tooltips as gospel. The screenshot was more to show how the UI looks than to give you the exact mechanics of how it works.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Well Paradox has had it's own shop before but even HOI3 couldn't stop it from being so successful they had to spin it off into a separate business.

You know, we don't make 3 expansions for games that sell badly, HoI3 is one of our most popular games.

Anyway, Europa Universalis III Chronicles code: HD8Y9-GPC0Z-DWPF8
E: gone

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 22, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Took a brief look there and:

quote:

The most important change is that we discourage gifters from posting codes or direct links to games for grabs. Please ask people to post their Steam IDs instead and then contact them.

Why? There are a few reasons: lurkers grab several games at once and never thank for them; the community doesn't benefit from it - most of the time nobody thanks for those codes, they simply disappear into thin air; also every time a code is lurked we get many sour posts about it.

We don't need this negativity . This thread was always about sharing, caring and having a good time while playng free games.
so I didn't.

E: Although I see there's a bunch of EUIIIs on page 115 if anyone wants to try them.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 22, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Well, it's a bit silly they can do it in the strait of Gibraltar, but you don't have RADAR on your manowars. Sea zones are mostly large enough it's a non trivial challenge to spot and engage an enemy fleet.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
It's not really something anyone can influence, you can't order ships not to miss fleets sailing by outside of their visual range. Oceans are big places even ignoring poor weather conditions/night. However, fleets unloading troops are always spotted so you can avoid missing them by keeping your own fleet near what you want to protect rather than out at sea.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 24, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, that was kind of my point. This line of reasoning makes for really unfun gameplay. Your stratagems and tactics should not be completely thwarted by random rolls of the dice. On land, the failures of your campaigns are influenced by the dice but ultimately you are the final decider for whether or not your strategies work or fail. You can plan for a failed battle or two. On the water, having the enemy just stroll past your fleet on a stroke of luck and completely siege your home land is just kind of frustrating bullshit. If armies couldn't disembark while their transports were in combat, you would be able to have a backup navy to stop landings, but that isn't possible. This little bit of realism for the sake of realism really hampers the gameplay, and is completely inconsistent with the entire rest of the game, which always sacrifices realism for better gameplay (such as being unable to stop disembarking troops).

I disagree. It's risk/reward. You chance having your navy forward deployed, if it pays off you can destroy the enemy fleet where they are unable to land their troops. Or you keep your fleet back and get a guaranteed interception, but they probably get to land their troops. If you're so outnumbered that one landing force can destroy your entire home army and take your homeland, it was a risky war to get into and sometimes those don't pay off.

Found the patchnotes:

quote:

- Fleets not on patrol order will not attempt to intercept enemy fleets when moving and/or carrying troops.
- Intercepting enemy fleets that want to avoid it depends on manuever of leaders and light-ship ratio.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 25, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

If it's not-so-positive, I'll be going with Sweden since I can be almost sure that at least that one got properly tested and QA'd :v:

QA lead is Dutch, so uPen has the better idea! ;)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

SickZip posted:

It was really really dumb and a bad precedent. CK2 is fun but already crazy ahistorical, it doesnt need to be moreso.

PITY WE FORCE YOU TO BUY IT SO YOU HAVE NO CHOICE ABOUT IT! OH poo poo, NOW WE CAN'T DO ANY MORE HISTORICAL STUFF DUE TO THE PRECEDENT! :downswords:

Raenir Salazar posted:

In a thread discussing multiplayer balance and how the faction systems made Ming empirically a worse country to play a dev said "Playing Ming in mp is like playing a OPM." Which was hilarious as a OPM has a better ability to compete with France than Ming ever will.

In the absence of of any link or context I'll go out on a limb and say it was an analogy to say playing Ming in MP vs European major players is giving the Ming player an extra challenge, akin to the extra challenge of playing a OPM. Some countries won't fare as well as others in a competitive MP game. Not that Ming is literally a OPM.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Eh, as long as we keep DinoUniversais under wraps it's all good.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Here it is, this cannot be reasonable interpreted as "Ming is an extra challenge in MP" its "Yeah we're not going to fix this because we don't believe Ming is meant to be played competitively in MP."

No, it's literally exactly what I said: Ming is not balanced vs the European majors, so it's not a good idea to play as them against said majors in a competitive MP game. I don't see where the misunderstanding is coming from, and he's in no way saying Ming = OPM. You can imagine that's what he means and get angry about it if you really want to, but I don't see what good that does.

Also, the post you're quoting is from 2 years ago on a different forum, you should really let this go.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Beamed posted:

For reference: Raenir is Sid Meier on the Paradox Forums, aka Blayne, who is somewhat infamous for refusing to play an MP game if he couldn't be China, and sperging about it to a very inane degree. The reason he is starting his own MP Grand Campaign is because the one he used to be a part of kicked him out.

I'm not trying to invoke cross-forum drama, I'm just making a note that there's a reason Raenir is holding this grudge against you guys :v:

Oh I know he's Sid Meier anyway, although "Blayne" is unknown to me.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't think your quite understanding, your nit picking the semantics of what I said; not addressing the actual concerns that underlie it.

No, I was addressing this:

Raenir Salazar posted:

Since after all, China is just a one province minor; its only natural. According to certain devs. :ssh:

Sampatrick posted:

Explain, please.

Raenir Salazar posted:

In a thread discussing multiplayer balance and how the faction systems made Ming empirically a worse country to play a dev said "Playing Ming in mp is like playing a OPM." Which was hilarious as a OPM has a better ability to compete with France than Ming ever will.

So place your bets that in EU4 Ming will not be playable.

Now you're bringing up some other complaints about Ming/factions etc, which I'm not interested in talking about with you again. I just wanted to point out that no one said China is a OPM or is comparable to a OPM in anything other than an analogy.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 28, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Isn't an analogy supposed to show that two subjects are comparable in some ways?

Ok, I should have said "equal to" there. They're comparable in the sense they're both not a balanced match for a major nation, but one is not the other.

meatbag posted:

Also, Paradox, would it be possible to find a better way to organize armies? Playing Russia in Vicky2 is a nightmare when it comes to setting up your forces.

Just because you have a massive army in general, or when you mobilise?

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 28, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Since after all, China is just a one province minor; its only natural. According to certain devs. :ssh:

Raenir Salazar posted:

No one is claiming some dev said they are literally equal

That's exactly what you said. Apparently it's not what you meant, despite it being your literal words, but I hope you can see where the misunderstanding came from. As you've disavowed the part I was arguing against I'll say no more.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Are you going to address my actual argument instead of the one you imagined?

No. There is no argument. You said we said a thing, I said we didn't, you agreed you had not meant that thing. With that out of the way I really have no wish to talk to you any further.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 28, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm not trying to be confrontational, I did a goony thing that plenty of others have done. That is to make fun of paradox for a poor design decision and it continues to be worth making fun of because they keep justifying it right here right now.

Since I've been the only dev posting anything vaguely related to Ming, do you mean me? Because I have said literally nothing to justify the faction system/Ming here, I don't think it worked very well. If not me, then what are you talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Since you've asked...

I was asking only about the bit I quoted, "That is to make fun of paradox for a poor design decision and it continues to be worth making fun of because they keep justifying it right here right now."(my underline), and my question was who was doing this justifying because I sure haven't been and no one else is posting on the subject. Nothing you said addressed that question.

Throughout our posts in this thread I have only ever addressed specific things you have said "Paradox devs"/"Paradox" have said or done to point out that these specific claims are untrue, yet your every response is your general thoughts/complaints/ideas on game design or specifically EUIII Ming mechanics. I've said it before, I have no wish to discuss this.

• Locked thread