Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Id love it if it went up to CK2's Old Gods start date. Have events representing the fall of rome and maybe this time you can stop it.

And then it converts to CK2 :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I really, really want EVW to be good, since a Paradox Cold War game would be the raddest thing ever, but I know it's going to be absolute poo poo. :smith:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So I just got Vicky II and I have no idea why I'm making or losing money. I'll look at my budget and discover that sometimes I'm losing 20 pounds a day and sometimes I'm gaining 20 pounds and I don't know why. I've got a fabric mill running in Rio, it's mostly staffed, it sometimes loses me money and sometimes it's solvent but I realized that it's not paying me anything. Taxes and tariffs are as high as they go, I can't really identify where I'm leaking money and I don't even know if it's rising costs or losing income that's hurting me.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So I've stabilized out mostly, but I have a problem- my factories are basically only surviving on subsidies. It's taking huge chunks out of my money, but I don't have much choice since I'm going for Great Power status and I need all the industry I can get. I've got pretty good tech for factories, is there a simple answer to "how should I manipulate the economy to make factories more profitable?" Right now it's a cycle of build factories-drain treasury-cancel subsidies-industrial rating plummets-raise subsidies-build factories.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

You should actually NOT subsidize your factories. Capitalists will only build more factories if the current ones are something like 70% full or none are open, but if a factory is unprofitable and is only being kept alive by subsidies, then you're just preventing your Capitalists from trying out a different factory until get to one that actually makes money. Too big to fail, let the free market decide and all that.

You should also use your National Focuses to promote Bureaucrats until you have 1.0% Bureaucrats nationally (check the budget screen) and then promote Clergymen until you have 4.0% Clergymen per state (in that order). That will maximize the rate at which your POPs will convert into Craftsmen and later Clerks, which is essential for urbanization (read: POPs will prefer to work in factories even when there's still room in the RGOs) and filling up the factories and research speed.

Yeah, I've got admin efficiency at 100% and literacy at 70% (it;s about 1900), and I'm dividing my foci between clerks and soldier. I'll see about cutting subsidies. Is there a 'don't subsidize new factories' button? I keep having new factories get built and not noticing I'm paying for them, but I'd like to stay interventionist.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is there a mechanic similar to diplo-annex in EU, or am I gonna have to physically conquer all of Mexico?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I have to say, despite the fiddlyness and terrible UI, Victoria is a pretty great game. Nothing like taking a peek at a spreadsheet and discovering the two Ashkenazi families living in Des Moines.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Conspicuous consumption is regrettably not a thing in Vicky 2. I'd love if it spending habits would be more dynamic, but holy poo poo would that slow the game to a crawl.

I turned assimilation off entirely just to preserve that kind of cultural diversity. I think the only real reason it's in the game is to take a load off of the CPU.

Yeah, one thing I didn't like is how fast cultures assimilate in immigration, be nice if you could get hyphenated cultures. I was pretty disappointed when I looked at the US and it's basically all Yankee/Dixie culture with a few Indians and Mexicans. Also, is it just me or are Great Power alliances really, really fluid?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

In Vicky 2, is there any way to force a government change on another country?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So I'm in a Great War with England and Germany as the USA (jumped in on France and Austria's side), tossed in a few wargoals to make them give up their holdings in the Americas, completely smash them, and then the war ends and I get nothing. What happened?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Well that's really bullshit especially since I'm the only reason they won the loving war in the first place. I might load up an old save and just jump on Britain's poo poo as soon as the war ends. Overall, though, V2 wars just aren't as fun as CK2, never mind EU4. I feel it's just 'hit the doomstack with your doomstack, kill the terrible AI, then spend half an hour besieging provinces.'

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

SickZip posted:

I maintain that Vicky wars are honestly the best of all 3. It's way more involved and complicated than CK2 or EU4 with more room for skill.

Never doomstack. Ever. You want a bunch of smallish sized units so you can maintain a front and avoid attrition, and you really need reserves. You shift the reserves around to reinforce battles and exploit breakthroughs. You can also use them to funnel the AI into traps, where you sucker them into attacking a unit that's dug-in on a mountain across a river. Then you shift a bunch of units and watch them take 10-1 losses and end up surrounded so they're instantly annihilated when they lose. You should never have to fight on their terms and you should barely ever have to be the one attacking.

Even when a battle escalates into a slugfest, you rotate units into battle, you don't keep a mass of them in one spot. You only want slightly more units in the battle province than can fit the frontage, since you have small modular units you can rotate them into battle. Rotating units out of battle lets them recover morale/org/strength and reduce the attrition your stack is taking. Pulling back weakened units and subbing in strong units also lets you maintain maximum frontage strength since you won't have worthless 500 man units taking up space and reducing your firepower.

If you have HOD and proper stack composition, sieges kindof fly compared to CK or EU.

Maybe it's just that I jumped in late (as an American should) but the war seemed to me to be no more involved than a very serious revolt, just with navies. I cleaned up their army in a few months with poison gas, and then there wasn't much to do but add wargoals. The only serious wars I have to judge with are that and an incredibly boring Civil War. A tight war with no margin for error might be more enjoyable, I didn't 'click' on CK2 fighting until I beat the Seljuks at 5:1 odds by abusing attrition and the Carpathian mountains.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Dauntasa posted:

4: 2 happens and then Muslims/Norse/Tengri arrive and Catholicism gets destroyed and split between them and all the Karlings get sacrificed to Odin. you win a crusade for France and conquer Europe yourself.

Is there a good changelog for CK2+ since the very beginning? All I've been able to find is the most recent updates. Also, where does that "When Paradox announced their new DLC..." joke come from? I thought it was a SA thing, but somebody quoted it on the Paradox forums.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Green Wing posted:

I bought EU4, finally, in the weekend 50% off deal on steam (a couple more hours left if people haven't got it). Are there any mods considered indispensable?

The only one I use.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=175530327

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Necroneocon posted:

A game based only on Judaism so your forums melt down.

The Arab-Israeli Wars :getin:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do we know when we'll get more announcements (ie features, release dates)?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

India's not exactly my bag, but my wishlist for CK2 is basically all stuff that can be fixed in a patch (decadence, papal mechanics, factions, more events) so I'm not really worried. EU4 expansion and the Viking RPG look neat, and HOI4 could be good.

DStecks posted:

If I were you, I'd try to capitalize on the fact that Rajas is probably the first major Western game release to focus on India.

I searched for games obviously set in India, and all I could find are games where there's a couple levels there. This may very well be the first Western game product to have India as its primary setting.

Seriously, you should put that poo poo in your marketing.

I backed a Kickstarter RPG set in fantasy India but it's pretty low-budget and half the dev team is Indian.

Fintilgin posted:

The game will be a little... weird if every province you grab outside your home continent gets handed over to a colonial/trade company "nation".

It's a big change from the days of just painting everything your color. Probably a net positive in the end, but... hard to wrap my head around.

Honestly, I'd be fine if they just expanded the CoP mechanics for westernization and colonization in the Americas everywhere with some tweaks to fit the region (ie no liberty desire or migrations, rename the ideas, and so on).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

vyelkin posted:

Hey guys, question about CK2. Are extra empires besides the HRE and Byzantium (i.e. Brittania, etc.) a mod thing, CK2+ maybe? I ask because I've formed the kingdoms of England, Wales and Ireland and gotten no prompt that more titles are available to create for a long time. It's a pain having to manage so many elections and dukes, it would be much easier if I could just be pawning off king titles.

CK2 should now have empire titles everywhere, they require 80% territory. Either title search for Brittania or look at the de jure screen for your titles.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Patter Song posted:

Should a war between a nuclear power and a non-nuclear power (say...apartheid South Africa nuking a Mugabe-run Zimbabwe) end the game for everyone else? The "nuclear weapons end the game" rules seem like they would lead to silly game overs, I actually prefer their decision to let you keep playing.

Possibly a 'nuclear winter' thing that only fires if a lot of nukes get shot off in short succession, so a limited minor country exchange, terrorism, or tactical nuclear weapons wouldn't immediately end the game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah, the issue with the Westernization system is that no one can agree *why* Europe took off when everyone else didn't, so Paradox just says "gently caress it, we're just doing determinism."

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I do think that it would be a decent idea to lift the 'border on Westerners' restriction and open it up, maybe to trading or diplomatic contact. Also, minor reforms like the Native Americans got should really be standard for sub-Muslim tech groups.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

fspades posted:

Literal Nazis are one thing, but what's up with Paradox forums and self-proclaimed "monarchists". Who the hell are these people? Do they live with us here in the 21st century? Why do I never encounter them in the real world?

It's a nerd thing isn't it?

I'm actually friends with a bunch of Americans who are legit monarchists. They're all right-wing Catholics who reacted to the "everything was poo poo" popular misconception about the Middle Ages by saying "no, everything was sunshine and roses and it's been downhill since the 1500s." (They're nice people but very crazy.)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Can we get back to talking about Paradox games here? Has anything been said about Runemaster yet?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

DStecks posted:

Welp, there goes my standby "colonize as anybody but Portugal and Castille" plans. :suicide:

Conquer Iceland :black101:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Just adapt Twilight Struggle into a video game already.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm super psyched for that- if it works out we've got over 1000 years of game give or take a decade in the 1800s. I've really wanted to see how some EU4 games turned out in the Industrial Revolution.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm fairly certain it's not yet finished, too. They're (hopefully) going to be going through and hand-converting those countries.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

"What of the Romans?"
"They shall die a death that shall last millennia, until all that remains is their code, their history, and the shell of their armor on the shell of a man, too easily slain by Jedi Turks."

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

BBJoey posted:

Hello friends let's go on a trip to the Paradox forums!

oh

oh i see

hmm

ok bye

I didn't realize Pat Buchanan played Paradox games.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

And if you think that's a drawback you havent been reading the Paradox forums :v:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

RIESING

It was Vicky 1 that had factroys, right?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Wheelchair guy with a panzerfaust :allears:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I would play a gimmick of exterminating all the whites in Germany.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Started playing the demo of March of the Eagles, assigned Prussia and immediately began kicking the poo poo out of Denmark for Baltic ports. Three big questions: First, how does supply work? Not the traditional supply limit/attrition mechanics, but I seem to have supply brigades and once got a significant 'out of supply' penalty. Do I need supply routes? Secondly, are sieges decided the same way as in EU? The screen is very opaque. Thirdly, does controlling non-city provinces matter at all?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah, I don't know how you sell that one to the troops. Or the public.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieppe_Raid

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

SeaTard posted:

There are huge periods of sitting around doing nothing in ck2 as well, unless you've decided to conquer the known world. EU4 is a very different game, but it has about the same ratio of doing stuff to waiting as CK2 does.

The difference is that the break on expansion in CK2 is the internal political struggles which are a lot more interesting than waiting for cores and AE to decay.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey it's okay if Alaska is kinda hosed up, it's not like is has to be well-represented in a WWII game, right?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

uPen posted:

It doesn't really matter in the big picture but my major problem with the HoI3 map is it's just plain ugly. This might just be me and my preferences but I don't enjoy looking at that map.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleutian_Islands_Campaign

(:thejoke:)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Westernization argument that went on for like ten loving pages.

e: started off with a map from the 1800s of how 'civilized' the world was, somebody made a joke about how it looked like EU4's westernization, there were like five or six pages of heated discussion and then somebody came in and said it was all the Muslims' fault and it went downhill fast.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

It's kinda looking like Norse Mount & Blade.

• Locked thread