Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Josh Lyman posted:

Were those shots in the scramble? The OB stake interfering on your backswing and the subsequent shot going OB makes it sound like you were playing 1 ball by yourself.

Yes, yes, that was deliberately vague because I had not yet revealed that I was playing in a scramble. We used my partner's tee-shot, which was in the fairway. And his second shot was in-bounds. It was a par 5 and our 3rd shots were on the green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves

sarehu posted:

Welp, today, I hit my tee-shot on the first hole an inch in-bounds, with the O.B. stake interfering with my backswing, then hit my second O.B., hit my third to 30 feet, and then holed the putt from there, for a birdie!

(I played in my first scramble today.) With 2-person teams, 35%+15% group handicap, and me, a 9.5 handicap, being paired with somebody I met on Friday, who turned out to be a +3! Our group handicap was 0. We ended up shooting a 63, coming in 2nd (net score) out of 8 teams in our flight. I was worried it would be like the time I played bughouse with a FIDE master on my side, who ended up just telling me what moves to make. But no, of our nine birdies, five of them came on my approach shots, and three were by my draining long-range putts (which is luck, of course).

My best shot was an approach from 222 yards, over water, on the 10th (at Shoreline GC), after he hit a three-wood and ended up maybe 18 feet behind the hole on the fringe, I hit a 3-iron inside his ball. Maybe it would have been a "heroic" 3-iron if he hadn't been safely across the water, or if we had made the eagle putt. But we both missed the eagle putt, so it didn't really help. I also knocked a wedge to 5 feet on the third and 9-iron to 7 feet on the 17th, for birdies. Our worst hole was the 9th, a dogleg "par 5" where my reasonable tee-shot left us 170 out. I chunked the approach, he missed right, and then we failed to get up and down :(

All I can say about my partner is that he was really quite good. Every drive of his was reliably in the fairway or a near-miss, except the 18th, which was the worst hole, with O.B. on both sides, to put pressure on my tee-shot for (but I hit a 3-wood safely down the fairway and his ball turned out OK). I think I improved his score by 6 or 7 strokes, and he improved mine by about 20.

Awesome. I, on the other hand, played the worst golf in my life today. First tee shot I hit O.B and it was all downhill from there. By the turn I had lost 6 golf balls and I ended up throwing the 2 empty sleeves and my scorecard in the trash before teeing off on the 10th. I then pulled my tee shot O.B and it pretty much started all over again. I've played this course 3 times in the last 3 weeks and shot 85, 84, 81. Today I probably didn't break 100. I shot 51 on the front, but did have about 4-5 pars on the back. I still lost another 3-4 balls, though. This course has water in play on every hole except 2 and tons of O.B. I did play really well from 30 yards in today, though.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Oh yeah, well I shot an 80 today...

80 wedge shots inside a dome while it was snowing outside that is...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zinc68 posted:

Oh yeah, well I shot an 80 today...

80 wedge shots inside a dome while it was snowing outside that is...
Man, I remember hitting inside a dome as a kid when I was in Minnesota.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Man, I remember hitting inside a dome as a kid when I was in Minnesota.

Yeah it sucks for everything sans little 50 yard spinners. Which I do need to perfect for next season so that is good, but still, I WANNA GOLF!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

In 2 weeks for my birthday I'm taking some friends to https://www.deweysgolf.com to play some virtual golf and eat and drink. Anyone been to one of these places before? Looks pretty awesome.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

mattfl posted:

In 2 weeks for my birthday I'm taking some friends to https://www.deweysgolf.com to play some virtual golf and eat and drink. Anyone been to one of these places before? Looks pretty awesome.

Yup, they are fun, but IMO most of the time the distances are goofy. The one I used the woods were a full club short, but the irons seemed to be a tad long. Still was a great time though

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
So with summer just getting under way down here and a holiday booked in Hawaii in March I have of course dislocated my shoulder playing cricket and now need a reco.

Balls.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I went to a TopGolf this morning. Great fun, good practice for wedges through mid irons.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Kameh posted:

I went to a TopGolf this morning. Great fun, good practice for wedges through mid irons.

Really wish there was one up here, seems ultra fun. Wonder how the one down in Chicago works during the winter..

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Finally beat my lowest score yesterday. Was standing on the 18th tee with driver in hand thinking a par would be nice, if I have a solid drive then I could 2 putt for a 67...

Got to the top of my backswing and with a rush of blood I proceeded to top my drive 50 meters just making the fairway. I then sliced a 2 iron into a right fairway bunker leaving ~140meters to a back pin. Terrible swing resulted in me skulling the ball and getting a lucky bounce for the ball to come to rest at the back of the green. The putt had about a meter of break left to right so I decided to just lag it down for a tap in 68. Hit the putt perfectly and it rolled in the side door :)

The ugliest but most rewarding birdie I've ever had...

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 8, 2014

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Dustkoch posted:

seconded. also it's nearly 2015 so we really could use an update

By all means, feel free to make an updated thread :). I don't have time to make such an :effort: OP anymore.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

One is supposed to open in Tampa this month, it'd be a good 2 hour drive for me but I really wanna try it out.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

One is supposed to open in Tampa this month, it'd be a good 2 hour drive for me but I really wanna try it out.
It's a nice idea but not really different from a normal range, worse if you aren't at ground level.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

The experience is almost exactly like a bowling alley, with the TVs, drinking and relaxing when it isn't your turn, and better food. It's just a golf driving range instead. There are a 9 or so different scoring games you can play.

You won't be going there for serious work on your game, but it's a great night out with friends, regardless of skill level.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

These places look like so much fun and the closest one is 4 hours away in Chicago :arghfist::(

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

The experience is almost exactly like a bowling alley, with the TVs, drinking and relaxing when it isn't your turn, and better food. It's just a golf driving range instead. There are a 9 or so different scoring games you can play.

You won't be going there for serious work on your game, but it's a great night out with friends, regardless of skill level.

Ya, that's exactly what I figured it was. Didn't expect it to be an actual practice facility at all but a good place to take some friends, have some drinks and have a good time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FWIW I think some of them do offer lessons and having microchipped balls could give some interesting feedback but I don't know what exactly they track.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

FWIW I think some of them do offer lessons and having microchipped balls could give some interesting feedback but I don't know what exactly they track.

It's distance only, IIRC. I know there are video lessons, but the rfid chips don't track spin data, though that would be awesome.

Exige
Sep 17, 2006

zinc68 posted:

Really wish there was one up here, seems ultra fun. Wonder how the one down in Chicago works during the winter..

The one in Chicago is pretty cool, as long as its not really cold. They have heaters all over the place, at least one on the hitting mat and one behind that. I've been there when it was in the teens and they don't really help but any where around freezing its not too bad with a light jacket on.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
To be fair, you could practice your distance control and accuracy at Top Golf, but from what I've seen it's pretty expensive. That and there isn't one near me to try out. Don't feel like driving 14hrs to Austin, TX to give it a shot either :)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

but the rfid chips don't track spin data, though that would be awesome.

Awwww man, yeah that would rule

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

DJExile posted:

FWIW I think some of them do offer lessons and having microchipped balls could give some interesting feedback but I don't know what exactly they

At first I thought you were talking about some kind of golf shot you were practicing until

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
The two Top Golf's here in North Dallas are usually busy. They changed the pricing to per hour. I think $20/hr at off peak times. The place is packed during peak times with a 2+ hour wait. It is a gold mine when you add in drinks and food.

It seems like 1 out of 10 balls don't register and like any driving range some golf balls don't fly too straight (due to cover). With the heaters in the winter it is pretty comfortable.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Played in a scramble today. We shot 50 gross 47 net lol. The guys played from 6300 and my gf played the women's tees at like 4800. I think we had 6 gross eagles. Everyone got 3 mulligans and a tee buster (guys hit from the women's tee, women hit from the 150), so it was really just about sticking wedges close and making putts.

Three cool shots stuck out. My partner hit his tee shot (3 wood 270ish) to 6 feet on a par 4 using the tee buster. I chipped in on a par 3. The final one was on this par 5 where I used my tee buster. It was 440 and very narrow. I absolutely nuked a low cut to 100 yards out then hit my approach shot to tap in range.

I'm not a fan of the course we played. A lot of the holes are really poorly designed, but it wasn't too bad to play in a scramble. It was the first tournament/event I played in with my girlfriend, so that alone made it special :unsmith:

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

Omerta posted:

I have a SLDR and love it. For the love of God, don't buy one at dick's or whatever. Get one used off eBay with an upgraded shaft for like $200. A bunch of people bought them without thinking about whether they could hit a low spin forward moi driver, so it seemed like the lightly used market was great.

I got mine almost brand new for $200 like 4 months ago.

Bit the bullet and bought an SLDR 460 with a white oban kiyoshi stiff flex shaft from Ebay. Brand new and paid $234 with shipping from a seller with an over 18,000 positive rating. I don't know anything about the shaft, but I'll report back when it arrives.

Edit: With headcover and wrench

Seymour Butts fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 16, 2014

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I just ordered a mesh tarp from Harbor Freight after seeing a few good reviews from people using it as a golf net, can't wait for it to arrive. I've got just enough room on the second floor of my garage to take full swings, last winter I could only use foam or wiffle balls though which was a bit discouraging.

Was considering an Optishot simulator too but it really seems like there's a huge gap between that and a real launch monitor, and lots of reports of whacky swing speeds and other things. Guess I'll just keep practicing making good contact at home with occasional trips to a range that stays open all winter to make sure I'm not grooving a horrible slice or something.

Winter last year was awful so I'm hoping the courses around here are playable at least a few weeks earlier this time around. It's been less than a month since I've played and I'm jonesing hard already, this sucks.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Riddle me this, golf megathread: What did MC Double Def DP say after skulling his flop shot?

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Seymour Butts posted:

Bit the bullet and bought an SLDR 460 with a white oban kiyoshi stiff flex shaft from Ebay. Brand new and paid $234 with shipping from a seller with an over 18,000 positive rating. I don't know anything about the shaft, but I'll report back when it arrives.

Edit: With headcover and wrench

It's one of the best shafts you can buy (if it is a real-deal and not a made-for) as long as it fits your swing profile.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

zinc68 posted:

It's one of the best shafts you can buy (if it is a real-deal and not a made-for) as long as it fits your swing profile.

Club just got here a couple hours ago. I was actually at a golf lesson when it arrived or else I would have hit it already. Shipped from California and it got all the way to Florida in 2 days! Is there anyway to tell if it is an authentic shaft besides the look test?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't think there are any made for Obans.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Anyone else wanna post their goals for 2015? Here are mine:
(1) Get down to a sub-2 index (I'm a 6.7 right now)
(2) play in an amateur tournament (prob state golf association tournament)
(3) get my scrambling percentage above 50% (it was about 9% in March up to 39% for rounds in the last month)
(4) average over 10 GIRs a round
(5) never shoot 90 or higher
(6) (potentially) buy new irons. Currently leaning towards the callaway apex MBs with kbs c-tapers.

I'm going back down to orlando for Christmas, so I'll have 10 days to be a total golf bum and work super hard on my game. Best of all, I get to take a trip down and play two rounds at Seminole during the break!!!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hell yeah

1: Finally get into a constant habit of going to the range.
2: Cut way down on my 3-putts.
3: Break 80.
4: Clean up the chipping/pitching game. I get way too gun-shy with my wedges and usually leave everything short.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I played about 5 rounds last year after not playing for 15 years. I'm looking to break 100.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

My biggest goal is to be better about tracking my stats and to play more complete rounds to get a better sense of my game. This last year was the first time I played a lot of golf, but I'd often stop tracking my scores partway through a round. I also need to get more serious about putting.

Also I shot 92-86 in the club tournament and I want to beat that score by 10 strokes this year. Might be a bit of a stretch but that just means it's a good goal to have. I think it's doable as long as I don't make dumb decisions and try to avoid anything worse than bogeys.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I just want to retool my swing in my attic over the winter. I'm all arms that are disconnected from the movement of my body. I can swing my arms WITH my body properly, but I can't keep my clubface straight. That's what I'm working on. My optishot reports roughly a 10mph clubhead speed increase with my irons, just need to get them straight.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

My goal is to be more calm and patient on and around the green. I get way too jerky and jittery.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
A bit of a weird question that's not fully related to this thread but since this is probably where most golf players on these forums post...

Does anyone here have any idea how I could get a fake GHIN handicap number? I don't want to use it to play or anything, I want to use it to search for golf rounds played by other players (CEOs, politicians as an example) for a research project* - normally people have just looked at golf club memberships / handicaps which are easy to find using GHIN.com without logging in but a more recent paper has looked at all rounds played.. I'm not US based so things like the Florida State Golf Association online membership which require a Florida based address are out of the question for now. Does anyone here know of any site that would allow me to sign up without any address just to get a GHIN number?

*Is this even possible, or am I only able to look up the latest 20 scores like I can without logging in? I know the GHIN app would allow me to search for year to date and rolling 12 month rounds so that's already more functionality than the normal online GHIN lookup, and I've seen a research paper done that's managed to collect data on every round played by CEOs, though they could just have done this by running a script on last 20 rounds many times over a few years...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

shyduck posted:

My goal is to be more calm and patient on and around the green. I get way too jerky and jittery.
My tempo with a putter has gone down the shitter in recent years, but when I putt with a lob wedge, my tempo is great.

What the hell golf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So I hit balls for the first time since my Intercostal muscle tear 3 months ago. It's like starting all over. What I'm noticing the most most is how much strain I put on my wrists. Any ideas?

daslog fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 20, 2014

• Locked thread