Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Blarggy posted:

Scene from a currently unnamed novel, 1016 words.

You got some excellent line edits already ,so I'm just going to offer a few comments on the piece as a whole.

I'd have to agree with the sentiment that you shouldn't start with the protagonist waking up or any earlier time-line wise then what you have already. If you have anything before this part that exists just to establish the setting, or background or whatever, ditch it. You can show those details later ,after you have hooked the reader, not before.

Even in a novel, you need to get to the meat of the story quickly to hook a reader. There are exceptions, but unless your writing is sublime -I would read Chabon's or Vonnegut's grocery lists any day- then you need to give your readers a reason to turn the page. You have to elicit some kind of response. Be entertaining ,add a surprise ,or at least include a little dash of genuine suspense early on, etc. And the longer you delay getting to that part, the actual good stuff, the higher the chances are that you'll lose your readers.

One way to do this, is think of what is the first really cool thing that is going to happen ,and then get right to it. Give us a reason to care right off the bat. In this case, as it's written, everything up to the woman entering the room could be cut. Because if any of that information is intriguing or important, you have done nothing to show that in the writing itself.

As far as style goes, consider mixing up your sentences more. Add a few short sentences to mix in with the long and consider more interesting adjectives and comparisons. Also maybe consider getting us closer to the protagonist in voice, as it is the narration is a bit detached and bloodless. I don't feel like I have any stake in what's going on while reading this.

In this case, I think my best advice is that you should think about utilizing the 10% rule. That is, Second Draft = First Draft - 10% of the words. No matter what. Doing this will destroy needless exposition, and get you to really think about what information you need and what information you don't. You should edit your work as if there is a dude in a suit behind you, slipping you a dollar every time you murder a word. Be ruthless. Bathe in their delicious blood.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Eh sure, I'll bite.

elfdude posted:

Title: Modern Magic
Word Count: 1170
Element: Cesium

Debiles smiled,. His plan was coming together once again. He so loved the art.

“You, will never become the Archmage.” His quarry spat at him; even as his body was slowly being pulled apart atom by atom. [Starting in the middle of the action is good. Horrible Sci-fi channel movie quality lines are terrible however. The dramatic pause after the you is especially egregious. It's good to know people being torn apart on a molecular level have time for high quality zingers like this one I guess]

Debiles laughed, “My plan has already succeeded. You see minister, you were the final loose end to pluck out. Now the empire is mine.” [More cliche dialog, with a little info dump to boot.]With a snap of his fingers the man before him disintegrated. The motes of energy that had formerly comprised his body annihilating themselves in brilliant flashes of light. In a moment it was over.

The green glow of his watches’ backlight was the only light in the cavern but Debiles needed no light to see by. The magic that infused his body allowed him to see through the darkness. The radiation that permeated all things was more than enough for his eyes to see by. [Seriously? Not only is this just a bunch of telling, it's also repetitive and boring telling. Why did you tell us he can see in the dark three times?] A faint beeping sound played out of his watches' electronic speaker reminding him that the minister needed to be dead by that moment.

Right on time, he mused.

“Now what?” Fortis spoke behind him shattering his reverie. Debiles tried not to snarl at her.[In most cases it is better to focus on what a character does, not what they don't do. There are far better ways to show restrained annoyance/contempt/etc than this] It really wasn’t her fault but he hadn’t scheduled an opportunity for her to speak.[More telling] He walked towards the end of the corridor where the minister’s personal transport to the Archmage’s chambers awaited him. The sound of his sister’s footfalls were irritatingly irregular.[This is better, it shows something she does that annoys him particularly and ties into his time obsession. Do more things like that.] He had learned years ago to try and ignore that shortfall of hers, after all she had taught him magic.

The human will, such a peculiar thing, he thought. Unpredictable, resistant to routine and utterly unaware of time.[I don't think having the "evil wizard" wax philosophical is helping the story any here.] To him time was precious.[Redundant]

“All in good time my sister,” Tick, tock, was the sound that played through his mind.[More waxing philosophical plus beating around the bush in response to a simple question for no apparent reason.The dialog needs work in this piece across the board.]

----

The sound of the clock was all that he could hear. Tick, tock. The sound seemed to obliterate every thought before it.

Was it a minute he had been locked up in the darkness? Was it a year? He couldn't be sure.

His train of thought was interrupted by the sound; Tick, tock. He felt a mouse brush his leg and immediately grabbed and bit into it. The warm juice exploded in his mouth and he savored the metallic flavor. Sensation was such a rare treat down there and mice were better than nothing. [This was jarring, at first read I didn't realize this was something that happened in the past]

Tick… the sound was interrupted. He strained to hear the clock but try as he might the sound was gone. He felt tears run down his face. A sensation he hadn’t felt since he had first been trapped. He groaned. The sound echoed chillingly throughout the cavern. He didn’t want out, he just wanted the clock.

“Tick, Tock.” After what seemed like an eternity he began to make the sound himself. The sound comforted him. Then he saw a light, the heavy stones that had blocked his exit were extracted. His sister stood before him covered in the blood of his captors.

He smiled, “Tick, tock,” was all he could say.

----

The Archmage stood before Debiles. His weak and aging body shook with the strain of holding itself upright. The staff of power that the Archmage clung to was more of a crutch than a powerful artifact. “Debiles.” His voice reminded Debiles of the rumbling of an avalanche. It was a sound he had heard once before but he couldn't quite place it.

No matter, I didn't schedule that memory. He dismissed his own thoughts.

“Mister Verum Latet, your time has come I’m afraid.” The ringing of the clock in his head felt like a metronome, timing his every action. He reminded himself to slow down. He was moving too fast in his excitement.

The ancient Archmage spat, “How much you don’t know. Ungrateful wretch.”

With impressive power and coordination the Archmage began to move, his hands were a blur of motion and his mouth ran through incantations faster than Debiles had thought was possible.[This sentence is clunky. Try to avoid stuff like "Began to X" and try not to put descriptive clauses before the action they are describing. For action simple direct language with the right verb can go a long way. Keep this in mind especially for things that are supposed to happen quickly or suddenly. Example: With impressive speed and determination he began to move down the hallway vs he ran down the hallway ] Still against the plan, the Archmage would fail. Debiles knew the plan almost as well as the sound that played on repeat in his head.

Debiles’ watch chimed in again reminding him to step to the side as the enormous spear of ice flew through where he had been standing only milliseconds before. He quite liked his watch, his sister had given it to him shortly after he had escaped from his imprisonment. Another beep reminded him to drop to the floor as spinning disks of metal cut through the air over head.

He had choreographed his motions after years of studying the Archmage. Were he a normal man he would have lost count of the number of hapless assassins he had dispatched to this very room. Each had served to reveal the Archmage’s habits and each had died. It had taken forty two to put together the plan and it all depended on timing. Something Debiles was very good at. [Redundant telling]

The clock in his watch was based the osculations of Cesium, like a pendulum only far less prone to error. [Meh, had issues with this use of Cesium which I detailed more below.It was accurate to a degree even his time keeping abilities were envious of. The alarm rang again reminding him to roll to the side. Deep gouges were cut into the concrete that he had been laying upon by phantom forces. His watch was perfect, perhaps more so than the sound of clock in his head.

Another beep reminded him to cast his own magic. He had practiced this with his sister dozens of times and was completely confident in his own abilities. He mouthed the words and made the motions. Milliseconds passed as he waited for the telltale shimmer to begin, but nothing happened. His eyes widened as more milliseconds passed and no magical shield surrounded him. Then, a bolt of lightning pierced through his chest flinging him into the wall.

His face was contorted in surprise. Not sure of what had happened and Paralyzed, he watched his sister pluck the feeble Archmage up with her own magics.

The mage struggled helplessly and glared at her. “I knew it. Debiles never had any magic.” Debiles had always wondered how his sister knew where he had been taken and why his magic seemed so irregular.

Fortis shrugged, “You figured it out too late father."[Revealing that the mage is their father now feels like a cheap ploy to try an add an extra twist to the story. It doesn't add anything] She smiled as she casually pulled off his arms and legs like a child ripping the wings off of an insect.

“Your act was quite perfect,. I commend you.” The Archmage ceased his struggles and bowed to her magic.

Fortis smiled as she looked at her brother’s motionless body. “To think, all it took was a clock. It took me years to convince him that my magic was his own. Luckily rhythm isn’t that hard to learn.” With her final words[More dialog that just reiterates stuff we already know] she pulled apart the rest of her father’s body leaving behind only a fine bloody mist.

Debiles would have cried if he could, the sound of the clock was gone. It was a hell he was only forced to experience for a few moments before his dear sister finished him off. [As others have said, you do have a resolution and that's good. Also I like that for him, the biggest tragedy is losing the clock and not the fact that he is going to die or he was betrayed by his sister. It shows how far gone he is.]

Well off the bat, I'd say there are serious issues with cliche and awkward dialog/thoughts. Also, there is too much redundancy and too much telling vs showing overall. The story definitely needs a few more editing passes to cut out extraneous bits.

For the record, I like the idea of the relationship between Debiles and his sister. The idea that he thinks hes the smart one while shes been pulling his strings all along has considerable potential. That said I think it could have been executed better. The twist at the end with her backstabbing him doesn't have any emotional weight because neither Debiles or Fortis have any real personality or chemistry. The only thing that I found interesting was the emotional connection Debiles had with the clock but that also doesn't really pay off either. You establish it firmly too late in the story and I think the fact that he works under a very precise timing would have to be the key to his downfall (in lieu of his sister just not casting magic on him) to really push this angle if you wanted to go that route.

The reveal in the end that the archmage is their father has zero emotional weight as well. It feels like a cheap and low effort way to throw in an extra twist at the end. Mind you I think it's fine that the archmage is their father but revealing it at the end in the story's current state doesn't accomplish much. In fact having it there at the start, and using the tyranny of their father as they see him to build a more sympathetic relationship between the two might have worked better. At least it would have given the eventual betrayal a bit more sting in the end.

I think you get into his watch obsession/isolation too late in the story as well. Given how prominent it is towards the end, this really should be one of the first things you hit us with. The dude was trapped in darkness for at least a year by his own father. Not to mention the whole ticking thing. If that's not a traumatic experience then I don't know what is. He is way too put together. I'm not saying you have to go too far but there should at least be some hints that he had been through a horrific experience. It should be evident to some extent in his behavior/thoughts/speech/etc. By the time you get into his entrapment in the flashback its too late, its too much of a tone shift and it feels false.

Also, while this is more of a "feel" thing, I don't really buy the Cesium bit as being key to the story. The watch could have easily been magic, or anything else and nothing would have changed. In fact you must have realized this because you took us out of the action towards the end so that you could tell us about the cesium in the clock. If you write it so that you have to explain a key concept after the fact in order for people to make the connection then what you have is not working. Mind you some amount of telling in scifi/fantasy to explain concepts is understandable but in a short story you don't have the same luxuries as a novel and you really need to keep the flat out telling of important plot details to a minimum.

What makes this worse is the fact that Cesium has so much potential in a story like this one where you have wizards using technology and is even titled modern magic. Cesium is a very notable element (one of the most volatile elements in existence) and none of your modern molecular splitting wizards had the idea to blow people up with it. It's low hanging fruit to be sure, and its fine to avoid that kind of thing but you need to make sure what you come up with is actually a better solution or people will wonder why you didn't go the easy way.

I do think there is a good story in there, but you'll have to chip away at it a bit to get it out. Focus on the relationships of the characters, give them more personality and make the betrayal at the end something with at least some emotional impact if you do choose to stay that route.

Best of luck!

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 13, 2014

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

elfdude posted:

My god, I did not know the distinction between an independent clause and a dependent clause. That has simplified the whole problem immensely. Thank you! I'm exploring the website you gave me more thoroughly.

Yeah. When in doubt just add a period. Also a big help is reading sentences out loud. This is, hands down, the best thing you can do. If you feel there should be a pause somewhere as you read the sentence out loud then look into putting a comma or a period there. (This will be a period more often then not unless it would fragment the sentence or hurt clarity. In that case, its either a comma or you need to re-write the sentence altogether. Essentially commas exist to help readability and clarity so don't be scared of them but sometimes a period or rewriting the sentence will be the better option. I don't mean to be too harsh about the comma because it's a good tool. But you can go ahead and throw semi-colons in the trash. There are uses for them but they are far too easy to screw up and it's not worth it.)

Mind you, my grammar is pretty instinctual as well and I make plenty of my own mistakes but I've gotten a lot better than I used to be. What helped me was trying to learn about other languages and trying to translate between the two languages. It helps you think about the language structurally and get used to breaking sentences apart. Like a non foreign language related exercise could involve just finding a big, but grammatically correct, sentence and putting a parenthesis around every clause. Once you are done, everything should be wrapped up except the main idea of that sentence. Do this a few times and you'll start to notice patterns and get a much stronger feel for what is a main idea vs an addendum to a main idea.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 14, 2014

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Nika posted:

"Of course, anything can be run into the ground," she ejaculated, "But there really isn't a problem with saying things like shouted, whispered, pleaded, cried, scowled--and intermingling these with strong action can obviate the need for any dialogue tag in many situations."

I agree with you on principle. Said is mostly invisible, but there are other options that can work in some instances. A good strong verb is infinitely better than said + adverb as well. The whole challenge in most situations is to get the right verb for the job.

But if you do decide to go with a verb other than said, be sure to use a word that refers to speech or at least some kind of sound. A scowl refers to a facial expression. You can't scowl (or snarl for that matter) words. You can growl them though.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 8, 2014

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

All right; it's a little over the word count though, won't happen again:

No Drive (Revision 1, Sci-Fantasy, 1180 words)

Something clicked above her. When Shara looked up, she saw a man-sized centipede stretching forth from the ceiling, segmented body coiling out from a vent at the top. An insectoid head ended in wicked mandibles, bordered on the outside by delicate manipulator tendrils, while its two antennae tasted the air. It focused its compound eyes on her, two pairs of clawed arms behind its back. Her green eyes made contact with the centipede’s prismatic gaze.

I just wanted to comment about one thing real quick because I noticed this issue in your first draft as well. If you want to establish a sense of camaraderie between the two of them and portray Torch's appearance as not a big deal to Shara who is presumably your viewpoint character, don't start with a lengthy description of him with an aim of making him seem alien and menacing to the viewer. Also it's kinda cold to have Shara think of him as "something clicking above her" when she clearly behaves as if he is a someone. It's good to keep your view point character's expectations in mind when it comes to describing stuff. Describing him first as a monster, but then saying, oh but hes a friend is also a bit too coy which can turn some people off. It's false suspense that gets deflated immediately, and it makes one wonder whats the point of it.

Trust your reader, just have the dude descend, maybe use like one tiny description to imply hes moving in a way that's not human or something like that, then let the rest of the details follow. People will be able to follow the exchange and figure stuff out from there. Leaving some stuff to the imagination and downplaying the bizarre elements, especially in the eyes of Shara, will do much more to make things seem mundane in respect to the setting. People don't tend to obssess over mundane details that they see every day and usually take forgranted, well unless they have OCD I suppose.

Also as far as description goes in general, you'd be surprised with how little you can get away with. If you don't say something specific, people's minds will fill it out for you. A little bit of the right description can evoke a far more vivid and interesting picture than 3-4 detailed sentences. Sometimes that much description is appropriate, however I don't think this situation is one of them.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 20, 2014

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

You know, now that you mention this, it seems to blindingly goddamn obvious :negative: Would this work?

Yeah it looks straight to the point to me. I do think it works much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

TheGreekOwl posted:

So, recently I decided to begin writing some sort of Synopsis or introduction to a project I am doing. I couldnt really for the longest time get down and do such a thing, but finally after a few days work, I've written something small that explains the most basic things, or so I hope atleast. When, Where, Why and How.

I'm confused. You are calling this a synopsis or an introduction but those are very different things. It would help if you tell us which one it's meant to be. If this is something you are using to show your work to an editor or an agent, then you need to make it a complete synopsis and describe the protagonist's entire character arc with all its major beats. This also means you have to include the ending, whether or not the protagonist achieves or fails to achieve their goal, etc.

This link covers synopses in more detail: http://janefriedman.com/2011/10/25/novel-synopsis/

If it's just an intro, then how do you intend to have this viewed? Is it going to be the first thing the reader sees? If that's the case then you need to ask yourself if you really need it. You might be better off starting the story in the middle of the action and then filling in all the background details as you go. The intro needs to have a good reason for being there, since it delays people from getting into the meat of your story.

Also, whether this is an intro or a synopsis, it should stand on it's own without any preface. Unless it's supposed to be a twist, you should make the fact that the characters are non-human clear in the first paragraph at the very least if not in the first sentence.

As far as the actual content goes, the biggest issue I think is the lack of specifics. Instead of saying that their greatest fear is this Anthropos(whatever this is) reaching the den, you should state what would happen if this were to occur. Give us a concrete example of what's at stake. Does it steal all their kids? wipe out the city-state? their entire species? etc. It's the same thing with the protagonist's tormented past. Give us specifics that show us why she is the way she is. Stuff like her psyche has been assaulted, and her ethics have been confused are so general and vague that they tell us almost nothing.

You shouldn't give every detail, but give us enough concrete stuff so that we can get a feel for whats at stake and who the characters are. You need that to turn this from "some jaded ex-soldier battles her inner demons as she tries to save her people from existential threat #4312" to something more unique. It's a balancing act as you don't want to go overboard with info, but every sentence should have some specific and useful information that advances the story. If it's vague in any way, then cut or rewrite the sentence.

• Locked thread