Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Ken is awesome. Spergs out in IRC. And goes with us on mad sick junkyard runs. He introduced me to the method of parts removal of "break everything around the part you need to get it out faster", made the mustang so much quicker.

I also sat in the five ton and rode in the MJ.

Also also. It was chris who broke the oh poo poo handle not me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

EightBit posted:

Just get an OBDII 4.0 from a junkyard. More power than that crap and more reliable too.

Yeah... uhh... there was a blurb about that in the OP

IN OTHER NEWS.

Ace and Ken put a gas tank in the blue MJ and ace is too dumb to post from his phone.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

So glad the streetmanche is getting some love. Especially after your local homies were ball busting you about it.

I wish you lived closer because I would be over in a heartbeat to help v8 that loving thing.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kastein posted:

The blue MJ still starts on its own and moves after a few weeks. I'm pleasantly surprised, I thought that battery was junk and was about to scrap it.

Needs a big 'murcan flag to make that shot complete

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

What're you in for?

I drove during a snow storm.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Ace needs to bring the video camera for some more ace and ken show commentary. Or at least take some pictures.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Does the BJXJ have a 3.55 front? its a 95 4.0 aw4 231 8.25

It's fair game once we pull the plow and motor sometime this year?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Look at that goony hunk in the last pic

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

congrats on job interview. You need it so I can find jeep trucks for you to impulse buy.

If good motor candidates are there, I'm in for a trip. Need spare rally car motor.

Also, condolences on not being able to take 8 inches of ace

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I cant wait until you guys have the speedo crap sorted so it will take two seconds when we do the CJ

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

God drat that is a work of art

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Please post pictures of the bolt heads so I know what I am looking at and how to read bolts and the corresponding number of "BAPS" they can stand up to from an impact on setting 3 thanks.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

After completely destroying a bench top vice (due to using it as a press with a jack handle) and buying my dad the best one they sell at sears, I completely understand the valve of a well built one.

At the same time I am sad you are doing it cheap/proper/quick instead of us ripping hydrolic rams out of a retard van at the junkyard and going forward that way.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Veeb0rg posted:

I live in Maryland, I never have time to travel much.

It's worth it to hang out with ken

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So who's car are we going to use to make it fly?

My car already flies, I vote for the GL.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kastein posted:

I might have to look into that,

There are subarus that don't blow the gently caress up and get good MPG and you can still put a toolshed in the back and lift etc etc

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Yeah the first time I went to the yard with ken I was all excited to start helping unbolt poo poo on an axle pull.

Then I realized I was of no help unless I had a sawzall or grinder in hand. 10 minutes isnt a joke.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

The kastein 4x4 offroad parts lookup system.

Latency is high and it has the problem of giving too much relevant information and alternatives, but for the most part it can spit out part numbers all day for projects that have no business smashing parts into other parts.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Fucknag posted:

"nearly"

Ken doesnt commute with full drivelines, only when hes going on wheeling trips.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'm getting a free 2.2L legacy wagon with a blown auto. 5MT swap it and get high 20s all day 'erry day?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Know someone who buys 600 dollar subarus that should have been crushed long ago and watch as they run missmatched tires and blow the gearboxes.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kastein posted:

first of all my budget is badly ultimateforced for quite a while, and second it's not a sure thing. We'll see. There's a good chance that nothing in this area is going to fit my requirements, at which point I'll just put more miles on the XJ.

I haven't found the cable yet, I need to see if I can.

e: also NO loving EJ25S EVER, sorry. I don't need that kind of pain. I have an LDS-465 I can't keep head gaskets or rod bearings in, I don't need a goofy assed Boxer that blows gaskets and rod bearings and has to be pulled out of the drat chassis to repair.

Relax. The EJ25s aren't that bad, and we're trying to sell you on a EJ22 which doesn't poo poo head gaskets rod bearings fantastically and instead goes forever. Its like a 4.0 but missing 2 cylinders, split sideways, and gets great MPG.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sandbagger SA posted:

I'm just going to put this here.

How are things down at Casa Del Jeeps? Is electricity expected anytime in the near future?

STOP IT I DONT HAVE THE BUDGET FOR THIS poo poo

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Is this the part where you build a lathe out of a spare 4.0?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kastein posted:

I really hope you guys are right, but it sounds too similar. We'll see I guess.

I got home at 2AM and had to be up at 6 else I would have a better video by now. Ah well, hopefully tonight.

e: I got a limited slip for the crapcan XJ at the junkyard last weekend and also picked up a new cherry bomb for it at the swap meet I went to, so some upgrades are in order. Just haven't gotten my rockauto order yet...

JOIN THE loving CLUB.

Seems like those fuckers spend two days handling the god drat package before it gets out their door. I need cheap car parts and magnets of shittys kthx.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Just use a whole tube of red RTV what could go wrong

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

daslog posted:

What's the difference between Black RTV and Red RTV?

Red RTV comes apart. Black you have to use oxy acetylene to get it to separate

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Astonishing Wang posted:

I use black RTV on my diff cover and it comes right off with a razorblade.

The two piece intake mainifold we run on the poopstang will not separate unless we heat it. Once the two halves are apart we can get it off with a knife but until then it just goes nope gently caress youuuuu

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I've got the best exhaust solution:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Hey rear end in a top hat post pictures and video of your new toy k thx.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

YOU HOOD RICH NOW SON

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Go find a webcam in the office and livestream this poo poo.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Looks fun. I need to get my wagon straightened out better to attend these trips. Or you nerds need to come up north.....

And I'm glad you noted the tire wear issues. It's frustrating when you're 200 miles into a 400 mile trip hauling rear end and you can feel having less traction than when you started the day.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I had a similar thing happen on the rally car last summer. Nuked the exhaust right before the cat. This year I plan to get some flat stock to weld to the bottom of all the junctions to serve as connection reinforcements + act as a mini-skid for the system.

Good work on the repair and 420 poo poo welds erry day.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Ken I'm going to be starting to strip our XJ soon for the CJ project. You could probably have the 8.25 in it since the CJ has a rear 44 already.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

So last night ken was being all coy not telling us how he was going to balance these drat things....

He did mention that it was going to be pretty redneck/banjo/peopleofwalmart.

I open this thread this morning :aaaaa:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I may be coming to play in the retard bin.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Am I bringing a spare TD04 :getin:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I've done the inserts under the car with a regular drill and anger.

Ken's setup is way better than what I did and the one I did is holding out fine.

10 years of new england winters really like to gently caress up those exhaust studs. I run skidplates and wash my cars, no issues after putting new studs in. I have two more I need to put inserts in on my wagon and the RS needs just studs screwed into 4 holes as right now it's rocking the rusty bolt/nut combo.

I also prefer to do my 11/32 drilling shallow. The insert isn't long enough to fill the hole as deep as it is factory and I really didn't want to hit the water jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

The solution is to get spare heads from me OR RTV THE gently caress out of it and sell the motor/car :v

Two years later someone will go to drop the header, the stud will come out, and they will cry forever as coolant is coming out.