Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Do you still have any of those 2WD MJ front axles? If so, could you please take a bunch of photos for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I just double-checked and RockAuto has no problem shipping to me via USPS.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

240 miles on a parts car with a dead suspension and no battery :drat:

Also his 500 mile round trip to drop you off sounds like long day.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

It’s really annoying that modern vehicles don’t have the decency to rust out all over, and instead do it starting with the important parts.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

How are you planning to move all that stuff?

How are you getting a vehicle into that lift? I see pictures from both directions and neither has a door.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Hells yeah about the Honcho, even if it was probably running on 7 cylinders in that picture.

I eagerly await reading about whatever cheap surplus structure you find to put on your 5 acres. Shipping containers? Circus tent? Jersey barriers and a blue tarp ringing a pit? Who knows?!

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

You know full well they're gonna pop when you're running deep in debt on sleep and time.

He’s also in the wet part of Washington. Whenever it happens will be right before 3 straight weeks of rain and almost certainly before there’s a roof to wrench under.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Edit: Comprehension. You know about cut-to-fit shafts.

You might come out ahead to just find a common 35 spline axle and swap it.

Edit 2: How different is the pattern on 14 bolt and 10.25 axles?

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 23, 2021

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

What locker? I know some are capable of having the sides swapped out.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Is the Honcho auto or manual transmission?

If auto, I wouldn’t install a lunchbox. Involuntary lane changes on sweeping uphill curves suck - at least with a manual you can plan for it and let off briefly.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

If you can find a junkyard that is not absolute poo poo I will come visit every other weekend.

I see videos on the internet of all these awesome places with ‘all you can carry’ days, or that have coffee and donuts…Those have not been my experiences. The last time I had anything resembling a good experience in a legal junkyard was, oh, 2004.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

kastein posted:

The pick n pull chain yards out here are great too, just don't have what I need in this case. Let me know on your next Seattle trip and we can do a full Puget Sound junkyard crawl.

Careful, that kind of invitation already has me checking when the next $100 round-trip flights are.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I don’t know what your TSA experience is with weird checked items, but if you have stuff like that in bags you want to go through the most blue-collar security possible. Places where people might normally fly through with tools.

I always have crap put back together wrong when we fly out of Santa Barbara; they don’t know what to do with big iron chunks. In Seattle TSA will re-band a box; they’re used to us Alaskans checking crazy stuff to avoid paying shipping. I could see Boston going either way but we’ve had good luck at Bradley.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

kastein posted:

I have already started window shopping for M543A2s and M816s in Western Washington. Why am I like this. :v:

My plan is to roll out of Seattle after work on 5/20, heading east. Camp by the Columbia and then on to Montana the next day. Anywhere along that I-90 corridor I could drop you off to pick up a chunk of Eastern Washington/Idaho surplus. High desert is where the good scrap stuff is.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

kastein posted:

you want radioactive fish pretty bad I guess. :lol:

When we toured the Hanford Site they said “the effect on the river was minimal; you could barely measure the temperature increase 50 miles downstream”.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Leavenworth. You’ll die of sausage poisoning before you manage to sample all the types of mustard.

There’s also a couple beautiful passes through Mt Rainier NP if you divert south off I90 through Yakima - but Yakima itself is loving terrible. I cannot emphasize that enough.

Further east, for a good chunk of the Montana drive you can stay one valley over from I90 on State Highways. That’s a gorgeous drive, no traffic, and you really don’t lose much time if you weren’t going 80+ on I90 anyway.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Post pics of the Honcho doing a proper burnout once you get those installed.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

At least on the other side of the country it should last longer.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Project Farm had the NoSpill can leak but I’m fairly certain he didn’t get the lid on exactly right - I’ve seen the same leak and a lid adjustment fixed it. Once I had that happen and got it figured out I’ve never had another leak - I’ll even carry a 1 gallon jug of diesel inside the FJ62 and it never smells.

Those gear lube pouches look amazing. Somebody do it with GL-4!

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

The G6 2.6 DOHC in my wife’s 1993 Mazda B2600i has the CPS built into the distributor. I had to replace the dizzy and retime from scratch when the sensor died.

The 3FE in the FJ62 doesn’t have a CPS at all. IIRC it times the batch fire off when it senses the #1 cylinder spark. The computer controls the distributor advance/retard based off RPM alone; there’s also no knock sensor.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

kastein posted:

Has anyone seen a place where you can buy 0.75 to 1 degree steel 2.5" wide leaf spring angle shims? I've got 2.2 degrees of ujoint operating angle at the pinion end of a double cardan-single cardan driveshaft, and springs so stiff they aren't letting the pinion rise enough to be in line under load. I really really do not want to reweld the perches because I burned them in very very very thoroughly and it'll be a total bastard to redo, especially as my workspace is now full of moving boxes.

Land Cruiser springs are 2.75” and I know that Valley Hybrids in Stockton has steel shims made for those. Shaving off 1/4” shouldn’t be hard. 209-475-8808

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Your ability to function with little or no sleep is a superhuman skill.

kastein posted:

I think we might have surprised a few of the old guard teams, especially when we packed up Saturday evening and went home only to reappear Sunday with a fresh motor and a running car and set right back up. I know the reputation among most gearheads of people flying the intersectional pride flag is that they have no real world skills and don't know gently caress about poo poo so I'm guessing more than a few were startled that we finished either day let alone recovering from a catastrophic engine failure on day 1.

We all know this is because they purposely try to exclude people from the sport. Thankfully a lot of the current guard, now a lot of GenX-ers, are realizing they need to be more inclusive or a lot of motorsports are going to die very quickly.