Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

gently caress I hate lovely greaseguns so much. Goddamn thing required a lot of fighting to get the fitting onto the zerk, then ripped the zerk out of the balljoint instead of coming off it again. Then when I went to remove the zerk from the greasegun nozzle, it fought me for ten minutes straight and just when I was about to give up, practically fell out in my hand.

I set a world record for lovely greasegun shotput shortly after taking this picture. drat thing wouldn't prime, wouldn't stay primed, wouldn't go onto grease zerks and wouldn't come off of them. YOU HAVE ONE loving JOB, GREASEGUN, AND YOU FAILED.

I don't know how you can use a grease gun without the flexible hose on the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Finally got caught up, congrats man. That programming and finding errors and settings that are wrong and don't work got the best of me on my project.

I've been wanting to put LED stop turn tail guts into my brake lights for years, seems the best way was to get a light and take it apart, of course the one I got was solid epoxy so that didn't work. Interested to see how the amazonium works. I've been noticing the brand names on their since a post you made a while back about how they seem to be procedurealy or randomly generated and I'm not interested in any of that crap anymore. Can't trust it, the idea is to finish projects not go back to them constantly.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Fully gently caress compound tin snips anyway. They always seem like they're going to do fine but never work right. They don't fit, cut terrible inside corners, and bend the metal to poo poo. I switched to some throatless electric shears, jigsaw with a metal blade, and then just use the tin snips for knocking off a corner or small trimming of raw metal. If I start another big sheet metal project it'll be a bodysaw for me.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Beautiful truck. Meaty tires suit it.

Edit: I also really like the front end, it's ugly in a good way.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That a makes me wonder if thr proliferation of battery impacts and ratchets have noticiably affected pick n pull operations and how. Faster customer times, higher sales on big bolt items, more bolts and nuts laying in the dirt, less damage....

Last time I went for something hard to get at, it didn't even phase me. Just zip off everything in sight and stack it up. Maybe someone who needed an alternator got the easiest pick in the world.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MrYenko posted:

Oh ya, it’s a 30 and a 35, they’re loving trash. Gonna put my ear to the ground for parts, and see what I can dig up. From what im piecing together, the NV231 should be good enough at least to start with, but it’s the only part of the entire driveline I’m thinking can stay.

So the good parts are the interior, body, frame, transfer case, and springs?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MrYenko posted:

This is the reason I’m willing to sink a touch of money into it. MrsYenko is the second owner, and it was bought new in Texas, spent two years there, and then moved to Florida. The frame and suspension is rust-free, pretty much mint. It just has a touch of body corrosion around like, the seat attach points and such. Florida rust is opposite to the rest of the country, it attacks from the top down.

Nothing wrong with that! Should be a fun project. Just wanted to rag on you for swapping out 9/10 of the mechanicals.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

I feel like I'd be smacking my forehead on the cab extension of that ladder rack literally every time I got near the front of the trailer, because it's just above eye level. I know this from experience of hanging things to paint in the garage.
There's no denying the utility, though.

It's like MXC or Wipeout. Everytime you take the shortcut between the truck and trailer you get to duck and jump. Don't! Get! Concussed!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Ohh right in the brain bucket. Looks like he wanted some hands on experience on why it's called a headache rack.

"right you are Ken! Next up on the MJ headsplitter for the gas workers is Baba Ganoush, he's playing to bring awareness to people with heads too big for hard hats"

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Until you've stocked up a decades worth of home improvement leftovers you'll never achieve a one trip to the hardware store project.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

everdave posted:

Love my pull a pet

It's my favorite place to get a cat.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

LloydDobler posted:

If you're not in need of making the best time, and your cooling system is up to snuff for a hard hill climb, it'll only add about an hour to 1.5 hours to go over I-70 out of Denver, and the scenery is worth it. Beats the crap out of Wyoming and you just touch the Utah badlands before turning up 191 to SLC. Just don't do it on a weekend or near afternoon rush hour. There might still be snow when you go. CO is known for freak snow dumps in March-April so watch the weather. This will also affect WY so don't skip it just due to weather.

Some samples:

Especially do it if you've never been there and aren't likely to go back any time soon.

No less than three people of different social circles here in Denver have said to me "March is our snowiest month!".

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

It's more the extremely low angle I need that's presenting the issue - I've found any number of suppliers with 2, 4, and 6 degree shims but none with 0.75 or 1 degree.

2.75" I could probably just bolt in and let the extra 1/8" hang over each side, honestly. I think there's at least that much air gap between the leafs and the ubolts.

Also, my usual excuse is that I hate the phone and don't want to call anyone, but due to my awful cell provider I literally can't call right now, my voice and text comms are both 100% dead at the moment (have been for a week or two) and I can't even use VoIP because the towers here are overloaded and I get barely over dialup speeds during business hours.

https://truckandgear.com/belltech/blc-10f7-4973.html

Pinion shim seems to be the right term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I don't want to live in a rusty area like that and yet I'd like the experience of rolling entropy.