Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I wonder if Enemy Within refers to the monsters from the oceans, or the micronoids...

A modernization of the micronoids would be pretty intereting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I wonder if Enemy Within will make things like panic levels ramp up more slowly, because I find I'm assaulted on all sides anyway in normal Enemy Unknown gameplay.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

I must admit, I don't like how even if you complete every mission offered and try to pick abduction areas in already panicked countries, the panic just goes up and up.

There should be some kind of mission that puts you up against heavy odds, but allows you to reduce panic without the need for council/abduction/terror missions.

I have difficulty getting over the fact that I need to expect to lose some countries in the course of a game. My obsessiveness makes me want to have every single country under my protection.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, I avoided spoilers until now but I just looked up all the stuff that'll be in Enemy Within. Yikes. Ammo types, grenades that cloak your soldiers or attract enemies, medals, and gene mods or cyborgification. And probably a lot more enemy types.

I'm going to have a lot of fun with the gene mod that lets you leap up buildings without a grappling hook.

EDIT: An achievement for killing an enemy trying to control your mind due to mental backlash? Wow.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 6, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

sarmhan posted:

Yea, this is going to be an insanely content-filled expansion. In the era of $5 hour-long DLC having a proper, meaty expansion that completely revitalizes the base game is refreshing. Can't wait to see exactly how ridiculous a punch-focused MEC can get.

If the achievement list is anything to go by, pretty ridiculous. Punch cars. Punch Muton Berserkers to death.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm out of practice. I had most of Europe and Asia in the red; good thing I could attack the alien base for a worldwide panic reduction. Now most of the world is locked down and soon I'll never have to worry about another abduction mission. Awesome.

Still lost Argentina, though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The intro to this video cracks me up.

"Prepare to have your veteran soldiers die (shows that), prepare to have your veteran soldiers spectacularly miss (a heavy missing a point-blank shot on a Thin Man, firing wildly into the air) and die, prepare to have whole squadrons of soldiers miss their targets and die."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, I wonder how many strategies will be invalidated by Enemy Within. For example, the need to speed at least a little or else you don't get any meld in a mission.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

"Marathon?"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't know if they'll fix it but I still wish they would: if the only alien left is one you're controlling, it ought to count as dead for the purposes of the mission. Or stunned. I dunno, is that so much to ask? Failing that, the ability to manually destroy it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oooh, a thought: what if they updated the Anna Sing mission for Enemy Within? Sure, she's a scared survivor, the first and only abductee that has escaped and lived, but we could have a reason for that now: the aliens gene-modded her and she was able to use her super-jumping ability to escape!

Probably they won't do that, but it's fun to think about.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

What's your SHIV preference: alloy or flying?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I swear by SHIVs. I don't use them all the time but often, especially any mission with a chance of mind-controlling enemies or chrysalids. A SHIV can't be turned into a zombie!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's an EW achievement for using all SHIVs and MECs in one team. That ought to be fun.

…hurm, that Lone Wolf achievement is looking tempting, what would you guys do?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Brainamp posted:

Psi Assault with mind shield and ghost armor.

Pretty late-game, but I guess that's the only way to get all the goodies. I suppose this might involve copious amounts of mind control too right?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

With MECs around SHIVs will still be like the fat kid that gets picked last at gym class.

Hey, they still can't be mind controlled. As long as that happens I will always gladly bring them along.

They also probably can't be strangled by the seekers.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Meld upgrades are limited by what alien autopsies you've completed, I believe. So you probably can't get the invisible skin until you kill something that turns invisible, and you can't get the "leap tall buildings in a single bound" legs until you research a Thin Man. That's what's going to limit it and keep it interesting.

Hell, might make it even more of an incentive to go South America, then. (I love South America, personally…)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Alkydere posted:

You're not going to get all the upgrades at once since they're autopsy related. I'm pretty sure you don't get Mimetic Skin until you fight strangler-squids and Dr. Vahlen gets a chance to cut one open. And strangler-squids don't exactly seem like something you'll be facing out of the gate.

Also, remember, Mimetic Skin is entirely reliant on your soldier having full cover, which won't always be available. Either because of map layout or because some chucklefuck rookie missed with a laser and vaporized a wall.

Yeah, I'm positive that's what unlocks Mimetic Skin since the other option besides Mimetic Skin is something that would help you defeat the strangler squids (it makes you immune to strangulation and reveals enemies that are really close to you, even if they're invisible or behind a wall).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Flashbangs are probably going to be really really handy for capturing guys alive or weakening tough enemies. I don't know if they work on Sectopods but since I heard that sectopods got their effective health doubled anything that makes them miss half their shots can't be bad.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

drat, I tried to get Lone Wolf (classic difficulty) doing nothing but the very first UFO shot down, because I wanted a small target with nothing but sectoids and one outsider to worry about, but my guys are all at Squaddie level and just don't have enough equipment, tricks up their sleeves and hit points to take on this much solo. I guess I really do need ghost armor/flying armor and psychic powers.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Space Hamlet posted:

My very important question is this: are mimetic skin soldiers naked and just using their powers to make it appear as though they are wearing armor

…bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha.

It looks to me like there's only one real failure path through this interactive trailer--making your sniper snipe past their usefulness on the roof gets her killed, and trying to send your covert op to the roof to also snipe gets him killed.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Assuming we didn't get an XCOM game that got us the weird biological aliens of Apocalypse…who I loved the concept of, by the way...

I'd like an XCOM sequel to take place in some sort of guerrilla setting. The basic premise of stealing tech from aliens would remain, but you're on some sort of planet being run by the creatures and most people are kept ignorant and toothless, and you need to topple the oppressive alien government by having commandos grabbing whatever stuff they can steal to keep your troops keyed up and powerful.

Alternately-alternately, no continuity at all, just another "aliens are invading and we don't know why" premise.

Still, I am vastly intrigued by EW's idea of having to contend with a second human invasion on top of the first. Who knows...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, my God, they can only become invisible when nobody's looking at them too!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

Is it me or did that mini-game feature a tier 2 mec with a rocket fist ? I thought these were locked to the tier 1 chassis.

Apparently Tier 2 and Tier 3 MEC suits retain all the goodies of their predecessors.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oooh, that's a nice feature in the stream I see. When you target an enemy, the number of health pips you expect to take off blink.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The global steam achievements for this game confuse me. Like, only 80% of the people who own this game have actually played the first mission?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

…man, am I just a scrub or is Classic that much of a jump over Normal? I'm trying to be smart about everything but I'm still getting my rear end whipped.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Crazy idea for future cosmetic DLC: something that makes all the aliens look like 1994 X-Com aliens, in modern-res graphics. Mutons look like bodybuilders in green spandex. Floaters are guys with red capes. Chrysalids have big smiley-faces! (Assuming it was just a texture pack, though, you might have to leave Chrysalids as quadrupeds…)

Now that's something I might lay five bucks down for...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Normal cheats in your favor, in a way you probably would never notice if you weren't aware of it in the first place. Yes, it's a big jump just because your training wheels got kicked out and you suddenly have to deal with REAL percentages.

Oh, really? drat. Then I guess it's time to learn how to really play XCOM.

I should be less apprehensive about blowing poo poo the gently caress up, I suppose?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Re-read Guava's X-Com LP in preparation for Enemy Within…man, that thing cracks me up every time. Especially SynthOrange's entry about being trapped alive inside a Reaper's stomach.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Vengarr posted:

I did this too. I'm extremely partial to SLO-MO BULLSHIT CAM and Ivy Takakumi's movie hour, myself.

I'm positive SLO-MO BULLSHIT CAM exists in current XCOM too….

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

HaitianDivorce posted:

I was thinking about this the other day--I'd like to see them as mid/late-game replacements for Chryssalids. In my dreams they'd be redesigned as shark/velociraptor things, and to make up for the lack of self-replication I'd give them buffs every time they make a kill, civilians included. First would be to movement speed :unsmigghh:

Huh, enemies that level up every time they kill? That's actually an interesting idea for a strategy game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm less worried about the game being easier and more interested in there being less of a first-hour hell hump to get over.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Stepping out of the shadow of the past to make their own thing is probably in their own best interests. The grognards can still go back to 1994 X-Com and we can have new cool stuff too. I totally wouldn't have expected gene modification, giant cyborg teammates or human terrorist groups in an XCOM follow-up. (Well, okay, Apocalypse had the option of human enemies but it never really happened much)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

How do you repair MECs in the field, the arc thrower foundry upgrade?

I think some get the ability to self-repair slightly.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't know about you but they turn their victims like 100% of the time for me, even if they don't play the "put eggs down their neck" animation.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ernie Muppari posted:

Woah what? "Available November 11th 2013"?! When did that change? And why?

Steam? What even?

Yeah, it just changed for me too. 5 hours and change. If this is true, woo-hoo! Cyborgs!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Do you guys use laboratories/workshops? I generally find using laboratories wasteful as boosting your research only ensures you get stuff you can't afford faster and while workshops are useful I find the money is better spent on satellites/generators/equipment/foundry projects.

EW is supposed to change that, apparently having a lab will help reduce EXALT's chance to steal or sabotage your research.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The mega-download didn't start for me but I got a patch. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Deuce posted:

Are you one of those GMG still-need-to-enter-a-code second-class citizens people? If so, it probably is just downloading the general EU patch that's coming with EW, and wont download EW until that activates on your account.

I bought this sucker straight from the steam store. I dunno.

• Locked thread