Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

As a new player, should I just jump right in and play classic so I don't develop bad habits on normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

As a new player, what Beagle videos should I watch to get an idea on how to properly move my guys around, flank, etc?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

aegof posted:

Beagle and Jamball have a copy of this sitting in their TNX gmail account--maybe they'll even "enjoy" it one day.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

As a new player should I beat classic vanilla first, then move onto Long War?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

"What is up everyone, DarkSydePhil here-" and I turned the video off

That's definitely one way not to play XCOM: being DSP

I think my favorite part is when he insists that a 98 percent chance to hit should never miss and that the game was lying to him.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Maybe don't actually watch it because everything DSP is involved with is a burning pile of trash

I dunno, it's kind of funny in a sad way.

*Scout is standing right next to a Muton with no cover and dies instantly*
AWWWWW THAT'S HORSESHIT!

Ahahaha, I just got to the part where he can't open a door.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 8, 2015

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

The first time I saw the trailer I didnt notice the snake titities until people started going nuts for em

Yeah I was like "Oh badass, a space cobra." and only upon a second viewing did I notice spacecobratits.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Wow, gently caress the early game retrieval mission in Paris. Thin men literally raining from the sky.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Pohl posted:

lol, we are back to gently caress thin men.

This isn't directed at you, it is just lol funny.

Edit: Yes, gently caress thin men.

I'm new to the game so my hatred is fresh.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

New player, doing classic EW. Is it okay if I lose a council member or two?

I feel like I just poo poo out a satellite here and there to keep panic down, but I also need to prioritize engineers on abductions and sometimes that results in high panic elsewhere.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Doing Site Recon for the first time, I have a feeling I'm going to get swarmed with Chryssalids while running to the extraction point. Should I just have my rookie take one for the team and activate the transponder while everyone else books it?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Musluk posted:

A support with sprinter can make it. Do you have mecs? They're invaluable in there.

I'm pretty early in the game, I only have lasers and carapace armor at this point.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I managed to make it through without anyone dying. The scout could dash one tile farther than the Chryssalids each turn.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Although my only assault died a few missions back and I keep getting heavies/support.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

That bomb disposal train mission.

gently caress, nope.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

So what's everyone's least favorite level?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I'm going to echo what people said about the train/bomb disposal mission. gently caress everything about that mission.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

This has probably been posted already but it's gold.

https://vimeo.com/129923235

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

What order should I do research on vanilla classic? I have Lasers (except heavy) and Carapace armor, and I just finished the containment facility and the arc thrower.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Robot drones YESSSSSS.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

User placed evacs, holy poo poo. I am hype.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah, if you missed the stream you can still navigate to 8:04:34 and watch it.

http://www.ign.com/events/e3

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Speedball posted:

I hope that Vipers are not always an instakill like that, and more like a Seeker, in that you have a turn or two to save the affected soldier before the life is squeezed out of them.

The devs already confirmed that it won't be an insta kill.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Playing vanilla classic and I just got to the assault on the Xcom base and it feels like the difficulty just ramped up to an insane degree. 5 loving cyberdisks and like 8 mechtoids just spawned and more keep spawning.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I have a MEC, a heavy, two scouts, an assault, and a sniper, all with skeleton armor and lasers. I managed to kill almost everything by going to the second level and spamming overwatch but gently caress this is hard.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Beat the XCOM base assault with one loss, aside from those garbage rookies they give you. So many goddamn mechtoids and cyberdisks, gently caress me.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

God drat, a full squad of colonels, that's a really late base assault.

Yeah, this is my first game. I had no idea.

The mechtoids pissed me off the most because they would get boosted through psi after spawning in the fog of war. If I tried pressing forward to kill the sectoid commander I'd just get annihilated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Bizarre Echo posted:

Do not be like me. Do not hold off on the alien base assault until you have plasma weapons. When they came back at me for Ashes and Temples, they came hard. The final count on the attackers was:
  • 3 drones
  • 6 sectoids
  • 2 seekers
  • 2 floaters
  • 6 chryssalids
  • 4 mutons
  • 1 heavy floater
  • 5 mechtoids
  • 2 muton berserkers
  • 6 sectoid commanders
  • 1 motherfucking ethereal
Don't be like me. Attack the alien base early.

My experience was similar, although it was almost entirely cyberdisks, muttons, and mechtoids, plus a few sectoid commanders.

• Locked thread