Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
There are some nice changes coming in a patch. Other stuff I learned from various places today:

* Stunlocking still exists, but it's harder to pull off in single-player. Because of that, now the cool thing to do is get the boss AI stuck on a golem.
* After completing a certain story mission, your demo (assuming you imported your save) Salamander gets replaced with one that costs double to repair.
* Sac rewards still exist (which sucks) but now you seem to get them just by having a sacrifice event happen and you're not required to be on the giving or receiving end. Only one person has to suicide now.
* There's some nutty outfits. You can now be a magic cowboy with a surgeon's mask, apparently.
* It's still all about high red, low blue character setups. Lots of 10/70 and 20/60s.
* There are a metric asston of arm stamps.
* There's multiple versions (it sounds like MH's ranks) of the same boss.
* If you buy on PSN before the 20th you get extra junk as an early purchase bonus.

Still trying to figure out if the game is worth picking up early. A lot of people never played (or got far enough in to break) the demo so it's difficult to get exact comparisons and see if things were fixed. I've been flat out told that they "fixed" stunlocking but I'm seeing tons of it in streams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Belzac posted:

The western importers who have bought it generally complain that there are cheesy strats that work on some bosses but everything is very positive.

It completely dropped off my radar after everyone I talked to playing it confirmed that golems were ridiculous. It was a beautiful game and played really well but (like monhun) if you're going to be grinding forever then you want your play to be more varied than standing behind a golem and nuking. Creating the farming efficiency to increase your future farming efficiency is the draw. You could always intentionally gimp yourself, but then you're basically saying "I want this to feel like even more of a painful grind".

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

You know. I think the answer is "no" but I just want to make sure. You don't completely lose a spell (i.e. not able to equip in future battles/it is removed from your options) when you use all of its charges in the field, right?

The spell breaks. You'll see the little break on the icon. You can repair it by spending tears in between missions, just like Salamander. Once the spell is flashing red just don't use it again on that mission or you're going to be burning tears.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Dawnfire posted:

I know the demo has a lot of spells, but I'm curious what kind of sampling are we getting from the main game?

ENB's site, while I wouldn't call it canonical or complete, suggests we'll see 10 more types. Elemental stuff is a pretty big deal in this game, though, so I wouldn't worry too much about a lack of grinding for your boss-killing setup.

AlternateNu posted:

I'm wondering if there is a fire arrow spell (i.e. fire equivalent to Ice Thorns or Lightning Spears). That poo poo would be super helpful against the Harpy.

There is, but not in the demo.

Edit: Seeing as the derpy allies weren't doing so well, I decided to try out multiplayer. It's worse than the JP demo and I have no idea how they managed that. It takes a lot of work to out-Capcom Capcom. Is the experience any better on Adhoc Party?

Mailer fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 26, 2013

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Belzac posted:

What do you mean?

Here's what happens about 80% of the time:
1. Select online
2. Click ok to the eula message
3. Wait for connection...
4. Choose a room. You can't filter by mission and no one names the rooms after bosses, so just search for all and pick one at random
5. If you're lucky, you get a failure message and get booted back to the online menu but you're still connected.
6. Network Error! Restart from 1.

If you've managed to get a connection to the room, lucky you. Now it's:
1. Wait for players to load.
2. Browse their spells because you can't Ready yourself while waiting for that one guy stuck on connecting. If none of the players load, that guy is you.
3. After five minutes or so either that guy or everyone else will leave. If everyone (or you) left, start your room search again.
4. Assuming the host isn't waiting on a replacement for the guy who left, the mission starts.

Once I'm actually in the game it plays decently. It's nowhere near monhun but the game isn't so fast that minor latency makes it unplayable. Once I'm actually in with a group I can go through multiple missions with them. Getting connected to other people in the first place is the hard part. This makes mission failures go from a minor annoyance at pubbies to nerd rage material. If you get stuck with clowns then you could be looking at a 10+ minute search to roll the dice again.

I'm talking to you, rear end in a top hat in that last game who refused to save or sacrifice anyone when Cerb was red. :argh:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Norns posted:

I'd be a lot more likely to buy games off PSN if the decent sized memory cards didn't cost a buttload. I'm sure a lot of people are stubborn like me and refuse to pay 80 bones to upgrade from the 4 gig card that came with my bundle.

I'd be a lot more likely to preorder games on PSN if they actually showed up on PSN. All that exists currently is the demo. I actually went through the entire list and tried searching but the game apparently does not exist when browsing from a PS3 with a US account. The Vita isn't showing anything either.

Edit: Apparently it was removed.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 29, 2013

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Is anyone who didn't preorder able to find this on the store? I can see the online pass and the JP voiceover packs, as well as the demo, but the full game isn't showing up on PSN.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Norns posted:

Use the link I posted, seems like the Vita store isn't updated yet.

Ah, I didn't realize how they handled that. Game is up now anyway on the vita.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Oh hey, I can now do burn amp and heat amp. I've never done this multiplayer harpy but I think she's weak to fire so this should wor...

:stare:

Also, adrenaline gunning:

I can't wait until I can efficiently farm Cerberus to get the 150% attack, 1 hp sigil. I will be the glassest of cannons.

(This game is kind of good)

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

elmer fud posted:

I can't be Cerberus for the life of me. Any advice?

Shield every charge. It's a free knockdown where you can mash his weak points. When he pulls his spear and sticks lightning on the ground run towards him in between the bolts, not away. If you're unable to shield a charge, mash X to continuously roll to the side to avoid the spin he does at the end. His ranged spinny ground things he throws while standing are thrown in pairs and mashing X to roll to the side avoids them. When he crouches and spits lightning, get away.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Smornstein posted:

So i loaded my demo save and i forgot to fix my Black Rite and i'm barely getting any Lacrima the problem is i can't take but 3 hits before i die. Is there any way to get more Lacrima easily?

I did the same. Load the demo, fix your sigil and make sure you're only coming in with ten stocks per spell, then start a new game in the full game and re-import your save.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

EDIT: Ahahah, and he just completely randomly bypassed my shield during a charge despite it constantly stopping him when I had him near dead. Wonderful.

IlleceeIleceaCrazy squid lady does that too. There's a part at the end of the charge where she hops like two feet off the ground. This is enough to bypass your shield.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Oh, do sigils not actually cost souls? You just need that many to be able to equip it?

The latter, yes.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 5, 2013

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

It's entirely possible my horrid luck has made it a non-issue, but how do you tell when a boss has a +/++ soul when you're max level? Is there a good/bad message that comes up like the normal trash?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is it not just luck based?

It's just like the normal enemies. Bosses will randomly have a huge number for blue/red and a negative for the opposing side and that gives you a chance at a + soul. Those numbers don't come up when you're max level so I didn't know if there's a message to indicate it like there is when you see "Divine soul sensed in rats".

quote:

Also I keep unlocking sigils for my hand, trying them out, then going back to the attack boost. It's way too big of a boost for Dark Arms to give up.

Pretty much this. Unless you're divine or swapping for the 150% damage sigil, I don't see a reason to swap from Slayer. It kind of sucks that they made arms be sigils as some of them look pretty awesome.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

And yeah as Dark you'll pretty much melt if you are up close a lot, so I end up using a lot of ranged magic to plink away since plinking does a lot of damage with all the buffs. Attack +30%, Stone + 30%, Explosives +15% or something makes those eggs hit hard.
Once your spells are upgraded it's not so much plinking as it is hammering. Every fight for me more or less runs like this: spam tri for a stun right after they transform, summon golem, break stun, spam tri root for another stun, 2-3 eggs, break stun, then eggs/thrown until the thing dies. If it has a break that incapacitates it then finish off your tri root while it's on the ground.

quote:

I kind of wish I could do a Divine Build now because everyone online seems to be doing Dark/Ranged too. I'm leveling both mostly equally (only 5 level difference) so it shouldn't be too hard to switch over.
Most of the people I've seen are running pretty close to 50/50 or are running Divine Blood builds. A huge part of my damage comes from mortars/golems and you can't really use them online unless everyone is using them.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Man I've never felt like I was playing a game so wrong.

Do monsters die? Are you a Divine Sorceror? If so, you're not playing it wrong. Certain missions will favor certain builds, and online play means you can't use certain spells, but all that matters is if you can get your rewards. Eventually even that doesn't matter.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The Penitence hidden mission with the OHK Werewolf is like pure concentrated bullshit. I've tried lures and armor, but my most success so far has been getting him to jump at my initial location and featherdashing to the dropoff. I can get three shards that way before he decides to charge in. Is there actually a trick to beating this or do you just have to get lucky?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

XavierGenisi posted:

One thing I've learned: trying to go pure Dark as far as levels go is really challenging. I do some rather nice damage to enemies, and that's great and all. Only problem is that I crumble once a slime starts raining goop everywhere or the centaur does a projectile rain (or something else like that).

Going pure Dark is generally a bad idea. It's fine if your spells are maxed and you're running a group with people doing the same (or three full Dark and one guy to res them) but for solo/pubbie fighting it's terrible. There's also fights (gently caress double Wyvern) where you'll get poo poo on for pure offense. Around section nine of the Avalon pacts it starts getting really difficult due to monsters without weaknesses and all the double monster fights.

If you're going for hard offense (but not pure Dark) then you'll need to max your spells and learn to abuse elemental Hell states. Up until the sixth Avalon chapter you should be killing things more or less before they move. After that you should have them into orange/red before they move and just spam Thrown to finish them off. Then you hit the last couple of chapters and you have to start cheesing it due to everything having way too much health to burst down.

quote:

God help me if I decide to use Infernus and I don't finish off an Archfiend, and I screw up dodging.

If you're using Infernus before the monster is red then you're kind of screwing yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I fired this up (the non-Delta version) on the bus when I was bored. Was there some sort of massive boss nerf at some point? I remember struggling against 8* stuff and now I'm powering through it and pushing into 9* with the same offerings/sigils.

• Locked thread