Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I remember a one page story were a man left Brit-Cit and spent weeks swimming across the Atlantic. It all accumulated with the last couple of panels of him feeling elated that he was the first man in history to swim the Atlantic, and was expecting a heroes welcome with jubilant crowds cheering him. There on the shore at an entrance to Mega City One was a solitary Judge Dredd who told him he was so contaminated from the swim - from radiation and other myriads of infection - he was not allowed to enter the city on pain of death and he had to swim back. The last panel was this poor guy looking back forlornly at Dredd with his fists on his hips as he reluctantly turned back to the ocean.
Classic bastard Dredd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Choco1980 posted:

I was just about to ask if Underbelly was any good. It seems kind of like a missed point that the end result of the grassroots campaign to get a sequel out of a film that was adapted from a comic resulted in another comic to me, but what do I know?

Could the point be, the more copies sold then more chance of a sequel? I don't know but im getting mine!!

infact downloading now.

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 31, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

areyoucontagious posted:

I feel like a little kid. Look at this awesome poo poo :black101:

Edit: Holy poo poo this storyline :stare:

Jesus I remember that at 9 years old. I was an avid reader of Eagle (DoomLord; who remembers his poo poo?) and I was an big reader of anything 2000 a.d related but that story line was the loving best. Childrens comics just don't have that gravitas anymore.

And yes, these were marketed for children, the 80's were the loving best.

*EDIT* and if I am not mistaken, that is Brian Bollands artwork. Absolute genius.

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 28, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Sentinel Red posted:

Doomlord was the loving tits, especially when the original, murderous one regenerated from a morgue attendant and faced off against his friendly, Corrie-watching replacement who was all "gently caress it, these Earth dudes are cool, I'm not killing poo poo"

OMG yes he loved corrie didn't he? I seem to recall he had a son too at some point, didn't he turn evil?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

moths posted:

If you're just joining the party, the guy on the cover of CCF22 is a Vatican City Judge.

Haha I just love it.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Dog_Meat posted:

We need a thread for the old Eagle stories. They were cheesey as hell, but when they hit they HIT. Doomlord's son was Enok, who went insane. Then there was a mirror dimension where Enok enslaved the planet. Then I seem to remember Enok being put into some coccoon thing to make him good because Doomlord went on some spirit quest thing where he decided "gently caress it, I'm evil" and ended up fighting Enok.

But anything the Eagle did that involved real photos was always awful. Even as a kid I'd see those photo comics and think "what the hell...?"

I didn't get Judge Dread or 2000ad until years later because for some reason my parents thought they weren't suitable for kids. But the Eagle was something they knew from their own childhoods and they assumed it was all Dan Dare and cookie cutter sci fi.

I collected the 'new' Eagle from about 1982 (I was 10) from the first issue, and it ran with the awesome Dan Dare (fantastic artist they had for Dan) and the photo stories until some point a few years later when they ditched the photos and went completely comic strip art. They even ditched the old Dan Dare artist and I was gutted. As brilliant as Ian kennedy was (he really was) it wasn't the same as the previous artist who was phenominal, Gerry Embelton I believe it was. If you can remember Gerry's era on Dan Dare, then surely you must remember the amazing bounty hunter alien who had a loving FLYING GREAT WHITE SHARK ON A CHAIN LEASH!

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Jedit posted:

It was indeed Gerry Embleton. Here's an example of his Dare.

I have just been reading a blog regarding New Eagle and 200a.d. drat good read.

http://patmills.wordpress.com/tag/gerry-embleton/

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Did anyone mention that the Eagle strip 'The Tower King' has gotten a reprint? Even as a youngun I could recognise some powerful artwork:

The Tower King was an amazing story. I loved it.

Then there was the comedy strips like Joe Soap and Sgt Streetwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Jedit posted:

Oh, I do. I'm so glad that I haven't read a Starblazer in a very long time.

Good drat a lot of Ian Kennedy covers there and that art style always brings a happy nostalgic smile to my face.

• Locked thread