Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Railtus posted:

Battlefields did not seem to encourage dual-wielding though. Early on weapon-and-shield was most popular, while later two-handed weapons were more the thing. The sword-and-buckler was very popular, for people who wanted to switch from a two-handed weapon (a bow or a pike, for example) to weapon-and-shield quickly once the enemy got close. Occasionally we have references to warriors having multiple single-handed weapons, but it does not say if they were to be used at once.

I hope that helps!

Did sword and gauntlet ever get used with the gauntlet as both a defensive tool and offhand weapon? I really don't know much about the combat of the era (or hell it may have even been after that or in fact never at all) so I'm probably full of poo poo. Was sword and cloak ever a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

cheerfullydrab posted:

What exactly has caused the modern-day phenomenon of people thinking katanas were the greatest and best sword ever ever ever? This is sort of a combat question and sort of a history question, because I'm sure the roots go back at least two if not three decades. How does an idea like this get started?

Well for one thing they were so sharp they literally cut through shields, rendering them obsolete on the Home Islands.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Guys I was being an rear end in a top hat. And yet we still all learned something. You're welcome.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Railtus posted:

Mushrooms have been suggested (fly amanita), although again, there is no solid evidence for it. It is all just speculation. A version of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is also suggested as a cause.

Regarding PTSD throughout the ages, you got any interesting speculation about fey and fell fugue states? Is fugue even the right word? Psychiatry ain't my bag.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Talk about having wood.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Phy posted:

You're telling me that "I will fight with a half-brick in a sock, your weapons will be a mace and a hole" happened more than once?!

It seems like a hell of a waste of quarters.

e: Isn't that more of a slungshot anyway?

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 1, 2013

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
From what I gathered earlier it's only sharpened at the sweet spot of the blade. As for the feasibility of it I think in halfswording was that it was something you could incorporate as a very quick bash to follow up an attack or something. Despite the impressive name it was definitely a non-lethal blow for anyone with a helm.

http://youtu.be/2bdMfaymGlk

This link, gotten from someone earlier in the thread shows you just how quick you can be with halfswording

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Railtus posted:

• In 1285 King Edward I ‘Trench Act’ was passed to ensure that any road passing through a wooded area should be kept clear of undergrowth for a distance of at least a 60 foot on each side.

Anti-banditry measure, maybe?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Did the stiletto have any utility as an offhand dueling weapon or was it pretty much an assassin's weapon?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

canuckanese posted:

I think another factor is they generally raided in smaller groups. It's not very often that you'd see large scale invasions by Norsemen, and in those cases it was generally for actual control of territory rather than a simple smash and grab. Smaller numbers made them harder to anticipate and stop. One exception I can think of to this is in 885 when several hundred longships carrying thousands of raiders (sources aren't really great on exactly how many) sailed down the Seine and besieged Paris. While they were besieging the city a good chunk of the main force got bored of sitting around and raided all along the Seine instead. Vikings weren't really accustomed to drawn out sieges, and about a year into the siege the Frankish king showed up and persuaded the Vikings to leave by giving them 700 pounds of silver and convincing them to go raid Burgundy instead.

This sounds suspiciously close to the tactic of ordering a whole bunch of pizzas to somebody you don't like's house.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Kaal posted:

We still love bloodsports and orgies and all that, we just legitimate it by televising it. Action movies and football are crazy popular for a reason.

God, they would have loved True Blood.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I thought it was El Sayyid? Or is that Al Sayyid? Goddamned Berbers, you come Iberia you need to learn spanish :arghfist: Actually, speaking of El Cid, what was the deal?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Watch out Longinus, Jesus is back and he looks pissed.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

InspectorBloor posted:

Check out the catalogue of this smith. He's specialized on the reproduction of medieval arrow- and crossbow heads. You get an idea of what was used for which purpose. Archers carried a range of heads for different purposes.

http://belza.iq.pl/index_eng.html

I haven't seen larger collections of missle weapons in the local museums here. Some finely crafted crossbows and bolts for a noble here and there. Maybe there's more in the depots and it's just not flashy enough to be put on display. There's some turkish equipment on display, but the only larger collection is found here: http://esterhazy.at/en/forchtensteincastle/index.do

Probably also useful to notice, it's the nobles who collected these things, so you'll see stuff that they owned or notable stuff that they looted.

Did they carry multiple types of arrows/bolts in every quiver? How would they differentiate them in a pinch?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It's pretty easy. You swing with the net and block with the trident.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Being wealthy and stealing from poor people is unquestionably fun, but it's a poor rate of return.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Looky here guys, we got a german who celebrates 420. What a big surprise. What's a german's favorite big gun? The 88.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

Don't forget about pigs!

Look dude, we all remember your mother.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

DandyLion posted:

Although I have not had the pleasure to play with any highly trained horse in practice mounted combat, I can surmise that there is a severe misconception of agility regarding them. There are several breeds of horse that still resemble in size, speed, and agility the destrier's of old, and I can assure you a mounted knight on a well trained warhorse could have danced circles around an infantryman. Probably the best modern representation of what I'm talking about could be seen in bullfighting. My favorite is a Lusitano named Merlin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz8BiTtoLp8 (keep in mind a bull is faster and more agile than a human). These horses were capable of strafing, juking, ducking and any other type of agile motion you can imagine. They could run flat out sideways, backwards, and spin on a dime. I imagine riding on one in battle and fighting against infantry would be analogous to going to war on foot against opponents in wheelchairs.

(One caveat here is that the level of training a horse had varied wildly, and its safe to assume there were many mounts not as highly trained as this. Still, this serves as the best example of the extreme advantage of a well trained mount.)

This is loving awesome. gently caress you romney and your dressage bullshit.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I couldn't imagine chopping off the heads of pikes to be that easy even with a two handed sword. A sufficiently thick piece of hardwood is hard enough to chop through with a single swipe of an axe, a tool used first and foremost for chopping wood. Let alone a damned pike suspended in the air with nothing to leverage against.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Rabhadh posted:

Anyone have a few words on the make up of Saladin's army?

I'm not entirely sure on this but I am positive that it was made up mostly of Muslims.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

radlum posted:

I've read many jokes about how in the Game of Thrones universe, there are only 2 songs (at least just on the TV show) and it made me think, were popular folk songs a thing in the Middle Ages? Did bards go to courts and play familiar or traditional songs?

Wanna hear the remix of The Bear and the Maiden Fair.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
A murder of pikes.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

HEY GAL posted:

Oh, that kind of transport. (1) If you're going to do this at least one member of your company needs a car with a luggage rack, and (2) I used to live in Manhattan. Anything is transportable in the subway with enough gumption.

Is enough gumption codeword for a gun.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

WoodrowSkillson posted:

156 is my favorite

He's doing the I can't hear you over the sound of my gaudy clothing

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Slap a couple of cannonballs in buckets on each end of the pike and start doing some rows goddamn.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Frostwerks posted:

Slap a couple of cannonballs in buckets on each end of the pike and start doing some rows goddamn.

Someone said some posts are randomly going missing in a gbs thread and now I have no clue what I was even replying to.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

HEY GAL posted:

Oh my lord, you've been wandering the forums asking about this. God bless.

I am a Ronin.

Also I've only posted it like twice and its because I had no clue what the context was of my post after posting frequently while drunk.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
TRUMAN DID NOTHING WRONG

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

HEY GAL posted:

Top one's a wheellock, and it's loving perfect. Bottom one's a matchlock. You can tell by the match.

Are you talking about your post on the fortress hohensalzburg? Because I only really see one gun looking thing and it's that enormous thing under what looks to be a whole bunch of suspended pikes.

e: nvm I figured it out. Jauche confused me because he addressed you before the guy who posted the gun youtubes.

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 10, 2014

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

JaucheCharly posted:

Always a gentleman.

Chivalry isn't dead.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
What was that big rear end huge ship that I think the knights of Malta had that supposedly had gardens and poo poo on it?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Cross posting from the ancient rome thread since I think it has more to do with the MRE.

Frostwerks posted:

What was that word that i've seen mentioned in this thread for "coin" style armor. It's a pretty neat word from what little I remember and I'd remember it in an instant if I see it.

Frostwerks posted:

For some reason I'm leaning towards bezanted, which is I think the currency of the MRE, but I can't find poo poo about it on google. I know I read it first in either this or maybe the other war threads.

Also,

Frostwerks posted:

What was that big rear end huge ship that I think the knights of Malta had that supposedly had gardens and poo poo on it?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I figured out the boat. It was the Santa Anna. Still wondering about the bezanted armor.

JaucheCharly posted:

Read it again: too stupid for the infantry.

What, did marine corps not exist?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

DrSunshine posted:

To that end it's fun to see the parallels with modern people when you read things like ancient graffiti preserved on the walls of public buildings in Pompeii. They sound tantalizingly similar to Youtube comments and stuff scrawled on bathroom stalls today.

Every time I take a poo poo I write "I made bread" on the walls of whatever public restroom stall I'm victimizing.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
From my experience backpacking, if that poo poo isn't supported by the waist but instead by the shoulders, it gets loving heavy really really fast.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

HEY GAL posted:

That's about attacking like a big old idiot though, not aesthetic/cultural appreciation for the weapon as an honorable object. Say what you will about the generals I study, most of them are relatively clear-eyed and think that throwing their men away on some dumb thing is a bad idea. (Soldiers are valuable.)

(Their men are going to die anyway, but battle is not the main reason.)

Do you not count battling their own demons

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Rabhadh posted:

If it's any interest to you there is an account of late medieval Irish being great night-fighters, no torches obviously, just their brats (a large cloak that's the forerunner of the great kilt) to keep them warm. They also used a special type of javelin with flights to give it a whistling noise.

Thank god you specified their cloaks or else I'd figure them to be handy with their dicks.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Hogge Wild posted:

Have you tried both? I haven't tried shooting with either so I wouldn't know. Is there anyone here who has experience with both weapons?

I shot some bows in my youth and I tried messing around with an improvised sling from a neckerchief a few years ago. Overhand throws weren't too inaccurate but I've no clue if that would be common or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I don't know what I read last night that convinced me of that but I was very tired.

The same night, I watched a guy in plate armour run at a dead sprint in this video, and I've never felt more disconcerted. Is that kind of pace sustainable? Even if the armour doesn't make you off-balance, it's still a good amount of weight for you to move around.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh5lw2_ngc-medieval-fight-book-part-3-3_shortfilms

I've heard the same thing and odds are it's just one of those factoids that gets passed around as a truth because it's just so counter-intuitive that it it has to be true.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I don't know what I read last night that convinced me of that but I was very tired.

The same night, I watched a guy in plate armour run at a dead sprint in this video, and I've never felt more disconcerted. Is that kind of pace sustainable? Even if the armour doesn't make you off-balance, it's still a good amount of weight for you to move around.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh5lw2_ngc-medieval-fight-book-part-3-3_shortfilms

It's still a considerably lighter load than what combat infantry lug around on the norm and you'd be surprised at how quick they can book it. It's all about conditioning I'd imagine.

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 3, 2015

• Locked thread