Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
I like Kpop and act as the supplier for a couple of people out here in China as well. gently caress the haters.

That being said Gangnam Style needs to go park itself on Dokdo Takeshima and never come back:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

plashy posted:

Never thought I would be happy to hear Party Rock Anthem again, only because it means the death of Gangnam Style.

That is what Nostradamus said right?

Wow the first time I heard Party Rock Anthem was in Gangnam, how's that for some :tinfoil:

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

We need to have a Seoul goon-meet this summer and hash this whole thing out with the Bitcoin guy.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I guess thats one of the advantages of having most of the country in one city. Eventually I'll get Kakao for my computer but I'm still in China until June so I got some time for that.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

THE LUMMOX posted:

http://sowhatsnews.wordpress.com/2013/04/15/women-warned-against-practical-jokes-as-25-million-men-try-to-recreate-psys-gentleman-video/

So I was reading this and realized that Psy sexually assaulted a woman in a music video in 2013 and it's apparently all good.

Disheartening.

:negative:

Would you go so far as to say that he isn't acting like a 'gentleman'? :monocle:

Just got all my paperwork/flight stuff taken care of, so I'll be back at Kookmin in June. Does anyone here have any experience in getting ahold of good protein powder in Seoul? Is it common enough that I can just pick some up at the grocery store or am I going to need to go to some specialty shop? In China I've noticed that its absurdly over-priced (as well as possibly just being powdered fibre-insulation mixed with sucrose) but from what I've seen on the internet it seems generally more common in Korea.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

TreFitty posted:

I'm not going to get in to some argument here because you're all going to think I'm retarded for asking this question in the first place, but the thing I could never answer for myself is WHY I would learn Korean. I could not see a big upside at all to learning the language for the amount of effort required where I had other places in my life where I would rather spend the energy/time. Why do foreigners from first world countries learn a little-used language in a country that has poo poo media to consume and whereby learning the language gives you no new opportunities (usually)?

Is it mostly a glut of free time and a "might as well" attitude? I could just never find the motivation. I always say it was a lack of time and energy (which is partially true), but I know if I were even remotely interested in learning Korean, I would know it at a conversational level by now.

What do you expect to accomplish by knowing Korean? Why is it enjoyable to you to learn it? etc. I suppose what I'm saying here is, "because you get to talk to Koreans!" and "it shows respect for the culture/country" are really lovely answers when you're trying to motivate yourself. It may be true, but that doesn't work for me.

You are right in principle but it really depends alot on your personal situation. For instance, when I studied at Kookmin I was friends with this guy who was doing an internship in a law office. Obviously, he worked long hours and he was only there for a total of six months. He could order food but beyond that he had no real reason to study Korean.

On the other hand, I now work with a guy who taught in Korea for four years before arriving in China and he doesn't speak a word of it. Obviously working a fulltime job does cut into study time (an issue I've had here in China) but even than, its certainly doable. I guess the question you need to ask yourself is, do you want to spend a large portion of your life with your social interactions strait-jacketed? Are you content limiting yourself to social settings where English is spoken? Even more importantly, are you willing to keep yourself in a bubble of mostly foreigners? Self-hating Waygooks ITT. If you are, that's ok, but I'd suggest considering other options.

Its my personal theory that these groups are hotbeds of drama due to the fact that people are essentially stuck with each other. My first few months in Japan were pretty lackluster until my skill was up to the point I could hold an engaging conversation.

For me personally, its a mix of things. I found after I started studying Latin in HS that learning languages was really interesting for me. It has legit become a hobby of mine (although I am in no way one of those people who are gifted at it) and I find it really enjoyable. I ended up first going to Korea on a summer semester program because I didn't feel like sitting around my folk's place all summer before courses in Japan began, as well as excess scholarship money which couldn't be used for a fall/spring program. It was right next door to Japan so I figured I'd go for it.

I found I really enjoyed it, the food was great, I met some cool people and overall it seemed like a pretty neat place to live. It was so good when my program in Japan was finished I went back to the same school over the next summer (turned out to be a godsend, as those courses let me graduate a semester earlier and save myself 11K). Again it was an excellent experience.

My third time was almost two years later, I worked at a company in rural Japan over the year doing translation and I was pretty wiped Plus my family had some issues and couldn't afford for me to go back to University so I took Kookmin's intensive course for a semester before I returned to the states. Again, had an awesome time and in just one semester everyone's progress was very obvious. Now I'm coming back again in June mainly for two reasons.

First, I'm tired of working for a while and would really like a slightly less demanding lifestyle, and second I am angling for a more long-term translation-gig in Japan, but I feel that two languages just isn't going to cut it. I get if you've worked at learning before and felt like you weren't making any progress, but I can tell you as someone who has no natural talent for languages whatsoever that its entirely doable, it just takes time. Believe me I know how that feels. I studied Japanese for well over a year before I felt any confidence whatsoever in the language.

Sorry for the :words:, but thats just my take.

EasternBronze fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 15, 2013

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

caberham posted:

When are you leaving the Southern China? Man We ought to hang out more. I was in guangzhou for the last 2 weekends and just couldn't find your email or pm :( I will send you off before you arrive in the arms of Kant and Lummox :toot:

Dude remember, you are my steam friend!

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

The best part is where the order of the "pilot names" is a description of the sequence of events. :golfclap: The whole thing would have been ruined if "Bang Ting Ow" had been promoted first.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

Finally got a kaokao account. If you could invite Nick Gary Flint thatd be great.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

Whoops i assumed the dumb name i made for my account was my id. If you search EasternBronze that should come up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

Im in and i hope caberham can make it as well.

• Locked thread