Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankminister
Apr 11, 2012
I'm like 7 pages too late for burger recs, but I've become a huge fan of Social Burger off 123 in Vienna, more so than Elevation/Five Guys, and my previous mainstay, Smashburger. They have pretty solid sauces, soft chewy buns, and they will fry an egg with a slightly runny yolk right on there, which has become addictive. The fries are a little pricey and I haven't tried their milkshakes.

CronoGamer posted:

The general DC chat thread just talked about dumplings this week.

So, unfortunately nothing specific on soup dumplings, but those might be good places to start looking. I've also heard of House of Fortune in Maclean, specifically on soup dumplings.

House of Fortune in McLean (not to be confused with Fortune, the now faded dim sum place) does have great soup dumplings. Really, all the traditional Chinese dishes there are pretty drat good. The ones at Bob's Shanghai in Rockville are also pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankminister
Apr 11, 2012

2DCAT posted:

Might have to check Social Burger out. Every time I want a burger in the Vienna area, I either go to Elevation off of 123, or BGR over in Tysons.

Quick word of warning, I went on Sunday and it was way below par (dry burger, soggy bun), I guess maybe they don't have consistency down? I've had good luck on weekday afternoons thus far.

spankminister
Apr 11, 2012

foutre posted:

Cool, thanks for the recommendations! I forgot to mention that I'm going to Zipcar, so I think I'll try out the closer one in Bailey's Crossroads, and keep Lewnes in mind if I ever find myself that far north. Anywhere good enough for the Pentagon is good enough for me.

I've never been to Peking Village, but my in-laws prefer China Wok on Route 7 in Tysons Corner, which I can attest is amazing. There's a chef there who's been making Peking Duck for like 40 years or something. He carves it tableside, and if you ask, they'll box up the bones when he's done so you can make duck stock at home. I have some out of town friends who demand we take them there when they visit. Their whole "secret" Chinese menu is good, but the peking duck is really the specialty.

spankminister
Apr 11, 2012
I went to Asian Delight (Still called Asian Palace on Yelp) in Fairfax on Fairfax Blvd. near Jermantown road. It's the ground floor of the Comfort Inn over there. The management changes every so often so it's changed quite a bit over the years, but they now have SOUP DUMPLINGS. The ones over in Rockville at Bob's Shanghai aren't bad, but I like the ones here way better (they only have pork here, while Bob's has pork and crab though). Anyways, I'll never stand in line at Joe's Shanghai in New York for it ever again since this is 10 minutes from my house.

Also recommend the fried fish with cumin, szechuan spicy beef casserole, and something they called "fish with sauerkraut" which is really more like a fish lightly braised with cabbage and green chili curry. Only thing to keep in mind is that they are generally understaffed with one or two poor waitresses running around the huge dining room, and the wait from the kitchen is getting better, but you may arrive 10 minutes after a busload of Chinese tourists. I hope their business picks up because this is a real hidden gem to me.

spankminister
Apr 11, 2012

Time Trial posted:

Have you been to Peter Changs yet? Soup dumplings are pretty good, though everything else is amazing.

Is that the one in Arlington? I haven't yet, since toddlers tend to limit the time/distance a restaurant can take. I have gone to Taste of China in Charlottesville many times, and that's probably the best Szechuan restaurant I've been to hands down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankminister
Apr 11, 2012
Places I tried this weekend that are worth adding to my rotation:

Aa'bee Persian/Mediterranean Restaurant in Fairfax - Pretty good kabobs, the kubideh was spiced but not overly oniony. They deliver, and they're fast.
Bebop Korean Mexican Grill - This is next to the H Mart in Fairfax. I never went in, because I wasn't sure about it, but it's great. Basically a fresh Mex/Chipotle style operation, but you can choose galbi or bossam as your meats. I got a galbi burrito bowl and it was probably the most tender I've ever tasted. Put lettuce, rice, corn and gochujang salsa on there, what's not to love?
Mandu Factory - This is actually just the dumpling counter inside H Mart that I had always passed but never tried. I liked them a lot, both the dumplings and the bao buns which I instinctively expect to be filled with Chinese roast pork, but the beef and pork mandu filling is great too. The kimchi filled ones are okay, I guess.

• Locked thread