Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Those are far more doable than "Complete the whole drat Community Center before you can even consider getting the recipe proper".

Trash Bear doesn't turn up until year 3, right? I can't imagine there's that much overlap between games where you aren't nearly done the Community Centre by then and ones where you care about completing its requests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Gold mayonnaise now lets you win the Luau in the first year. Hurray.

I noticed that on the wiki as well when I thought I had sold off my last gold quality cauliflower and figured I was poo poo out of look with the best result for the Luau.
Turns out I forgot I had one already placed in my "rare items to keep" chest, but used the mayo anyway.

Also, anyone notice that little bunny-hop you can do in any direction just after activating (but before releasing) any tool like the hoe or watering can?
You can reposition yourself a couple of pixels in any direction but it doesn't affect the template / target area of the tool you're using and you can't re-orient yourself if you targeted in the wrong direction.
What's that for?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tenebrais posted:

Trash Bear doesn't turn up until year 3, right? I can't imagine there's that much overlap between games where you aren't nearly done the Community Centre by then and ones where you care about completing its requests.

My first, and main, farm. :shepface:

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Year 1 Fall 17 I completed the Joja membership. Still gotta unlock the theater and island but it still feels dirty. I don't like it. I've now seen that ending (I'm sure I have something around 1k hours between Steam, Xbox, PS and the cellphone) for the first time and yeah. Ick. Think it's time to restart now.

I did it for the first time when 1.6 launched for the achievement....felt bad, restarted a few days ago, couldn't do it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

So you’re not going to buy the Joja furniture catalog?

https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Joja_Catalogue

Mine and Abigail’s children will definitely be conceived on that steel Joja bed. Gonna hang this over the bed too.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 27, 2024

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

How is everyone liking the new farm? Farm good? I've played the standard farm and forest farm to death

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ZeeCee posted:

How is everyone liking the new farm? Farm good? I've played the standard farm and forest farm to death

Its main draw is that it starts you off with a coop and two chickens which gets you generating cash a lot faster. Other than that it’s kind of a nice average farm. Maybe it’s geared more towards raising animals than crops, but there’s enough tillable soil to make either focus an option.

I still think I like Beach the most.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I don’t think grass grows through stone fences anymore, or the patch of bluegrass I sealed off just doesn’t want to spread.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ZeeCee posted:

New farm very good. I like it very much. It's adorable starting out with two chicken friends with matching names. :3:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Started playing this co-op last night and really digging some of the mod suggestions that I went with. I like the fish one that shows the fish in the water, feels non-cheaty like the skip minigame mod might but helps a lot.

I didn't realize when starting a co-op map that selecting 2 as the number of houses would build 2 including the standard cabin. Am I able to delete one of those houses since it's just going to be two of us playing?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Robin should be able to destroy buildings as part of her services, I think?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Alxprit posted:

Robin should be able to destroy buildings as part of her services, I think?

I thought so too I just wasn't sure if it was considered a special building or something like that and hadn't had a chance to check last night. I'll look later, it'd be nice to clear up that space.

The new farm layout is great, it's neat starting with a couple chickens.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
At the least you'll have a free small workshop

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

Are there any portrait mods that folks like? And how hard are the Ellie's Cuter Animal mods to use because those animals look really cute.

We like the DCBurger portrait mod, it seems to be working in 1.6.

We also just installed all of the Elle's cute mods last night and it's been great!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I noticed that on the wiki as well when I thought I had sold off my last gold quality cauliflower and figured I was poo poo out of look with the best result for the Luau.
Turns out I forgot I had one already placed in my "rare items to keep" chest, but used the mayo anyway.

Also, anyone notice that little bunny-hop you can do in any direction just after activating (but before releasing) any tool like the hoe or watering can?
You can reposition yourself a couple of pixels in any direction but it doesn't affect the template / target area of the tool you're using and you can't re-orient yourself if you targeted in the wrong direction.
What's that for?

I've been able to use it to change target area, tho I still can't change direction which is the thing I need way more often.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

RandolphCarter posted:

I don’t think grass grows through stone fences anymore, or the patch of bluegrass I sealed off just doesn’t want to spread.

Grass does not spread through objects. If an object is placed over grass, the grass will still grow to open squares, but if the grass is ever cut out from under the object (like a fence) it won’t grow back.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Speaking of grass, what's the strategy to actually keep up with a huge crop of animals and not having to resort to buying loads of fodder from Marnie? I've got a full coop + 2 full barns and it's honestly looking like my grass might get if not fully eaten out, then mostly by Winter and then I won't really have enough to fill my silos. Is it just eat the cost of buying fodder? Mass growing fiber to turn into starter?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Something to keep in mind now with 1.6. Grass no longer disappears on Winter day 1. That means you can fill your silos full and cut grass in winter to replenish them halfway. I used to rush 3 silos in year one, but now I really only need 1 or maybe 2. It won’t grow in winter though.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Sydin posted:

Speaking of grass, what's the strategy to actually keep up with a huge crop of animals and not having to resort to buying loads of fodder from Marnie? I've got a full coop + 2 full barns and it's honestly looking like my grass might get if not fully eaten out, then mostly by Winter and then I won't really have enough to fill my silos. Is it just eat the cost of buying fodder? Mass growing fiber to turn into starter?

Even after buying fodder, cows and chickens are still profitable, so I just buy from Marnie.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Traveling cart just sold me ten iridium for 400 each.

Also I am on winter Y1 22. All I need is a pomegranate. I planted my tree in my greenhouse on Fall 27. Fingers crossed.

I also got my large milk to finish animal bundle on fall 26 and my truffle pig digging on fall 25. I live dangerously close to the line.

Hell yes. Winter 26th I pulled it off.

Also holy poo poo dehydrator and smoker are my new favourite ways to make serious cash.

Dehydrated starfruit take a day and give you 8k with right perks.

Smoked fish take an hour and legit double the cost and keep the quality.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I only ever built one silo in year 1, once I realized you can just drain it, stick the hay in a chest, and put it back in the silo later in the winter.

By year 2 I have more resources and build like 5 silos for the aesthetics, of course.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Smoking fish takes coal which you might not have a lot of early game. But it's still very good, yes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Coal is a precious resource you need all you can get for smelting in early game, and costs 150G to buy. So you really only want to smoke the most valuable fish, which if you're not an expert you probably aren't catching in year 1.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
1.6 spoilers / stupid optimization question that I'd like to stop thinking about : with the existence of Mushroom Logs, is it better to go with Fruit Bat Cave so you have more options?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sydin posted:

I usually just buy/craft a huge pile of starter and plant it the night before a rainy day, so it has a couple days to spread, keeping the animals indoors if I feel it needs to spread another day. As long as you hit critical mass, it'll spread faster than the animals can eat it.

dunno if it's the most cost-effective, but it is very easy. Plus you can scythe it for fodder. Dunno how well it scales, the only time I did a big animals farm it was on the beach farm and they had like half map to themselves, which was more than enough.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
After you hatch a dino egg, go talk to Demetrius twice. He'll give you a Triple Shot Espresso, saying your news is so exciting he no longer needs it. Thanks Demetrius!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Draw your face into a Stardew Valley portrait!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Pththya-lyi posted:

After you hatch a dino egg, go talk to Demetrius twice. He'll give you a Triple Shot Espresso, saying your news is so exciting he no longer needs it. Thanks Demetrius!

More scientists need to be this theatrical

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

How do you folks cope with the sprinkler-less-ness of the beach? That always put me off.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How do you folks cope with the sprinkler-less-ness of the beach? That always put me off.

There’s a patch of dirt that can take sprinklers, it’s more than enough. Otherwise go farm in the greenhouse or volcano island farm.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Upgrade your watering can and just don't farm too many crops at once. It's a good excuse to play with other income streams including fish ponds and animals.

Then your actual farm becomes kind of a non issue after Greenhouse and Ginger Island if you must do All The Money

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I usually just buy/craft a huge pile of starter and plant it the night before a rainy day, so it has a couple days to spread, keeping the animals indoors if I feel it needs to spread another day. As long as you hit critical mass, it'll spread faster than the animals can eat it.

dunno if it's the most cost-effective, but it is very easy. Plus you can scythe it for fodder. Dunno how well it scales, the only time I did a big animals farm it was on the beach farm and they had like half map to themselves, which was more than enough.

Yeah this sounds fair enough, probably just have to get into the habit of actually checking the weather and planning some grass relief days.

In other news I forgot that truffles count as foraged items, once you get Gatherer and Botanist pigs become absolutely batshit money making machines, lmao.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

do NOT put mayo in the communal soup, no matter how high quality you think it is

??? i put mayo in and governor loved it?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

drink my mayo you fat bastard

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I don't. I installed a mod that lets you put sprinklers on the sand. No regrets.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mayo is the main ingredient in any decent goonspresso.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mederlock posted:

We like the DCBurger portrait mod, it seems to be working in 1.6.

We also just installed all of the Elle's cute mods last night and it's been great!

It's working, but I suspect that winter's going to have default portraits still, so be warned.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

1.6.3 is out. Separate from that, question for fellow controller users; anyone else not able to access the category tabs in your clothing dresser? I can thankfully still see all of the clothes I've put in there, but those tabs on the left might as well not exist. I don't know if that's been fixed in the last few days, haven't been able to try it, but I didn't see it listed in the 1.6.3 notes.

Also, I only have the dresser in my single player meadowland farm; my wife's beach farm didn't come with one. Is it supposed to?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

KKKLIP ART posted:

Are there any portrait mods that folks like? And how hard are the Ellie's Cuter Animal mods to use because those animals look really cute.

Super easy. Install SMAPI and Content Patcher (I use Stardrop as my mod manager). Install Generic Mod Configuration Menu. Install the Ellie mods. Then when you start up on the main screen, hit 'options' and there you'll have options where you can set which modded animal can replace which vanilla animal. Or you can stick with the default options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

KKKLIP ART posted:

I really liked this one since it had a distinct, cartoony sort of theme going on that wasn't some generic rear end anime portraits. Hasn't been updated for 1.6 yet though and also relies on the HD Portraits mod which similarly is still being updated, so it's just been the defaults for me this run so far.