Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So the first time the season changed and the first time I'd ever seen the fairy coincided.

It really looked like the bitch killed all my crops. Of course, I realized it was the season changing that actually did it, but it REALLY looked like I was visited by the crop murder fairy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Elliot is great BECAUSE that motherfucker is Fabio and a "sensitive artist" who admits his beach cabin is grody

^^^ He wrote me a cyberpunk dystopian future mystery. :3:

I was won over by his silly dance when he bought me a beer. Now that we're married, he's still writing in the library he brought along, and he's always so cheerful about it all. :3: A+, would husband again.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 16, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Spider Covets posted:

I thought so too? I expected another thing to link in the awful mods thread but instead it was just some cute outfits. A pleasant surprise!!

lmao same

On that note absolutely nobody should go to that thread and look at the treasure trove of awful I found on the Nexus.

No, really, don't do it, you don't want to know.

Mazz posted:

Uhhhhhh I just found out you can rotate a lot of the furniture by clicking while it's selected.

...MOTHERFUCKER

A Spider Covets posted:

So I just got married the first time

can your spouse change your walls/floor at random? I reset mine after we got married but then my walls changed again 2 weeks later.

I found that out earlier. I figure Elliott sees it more than I do, so I just let him decorate how he likes. :3:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Still Dope posted:

This game looks interesting, but I have one question: Can you build an entirely vegan farm i.e. no animals being held captive, forcefully impregnated (raped) and murdered? My biggest gripe with these kind of games is the fact that they often involve animals being hurt.

I had a classmate who raised cows and called butchering cows "harvesting" them.

I don't have any point to this, you just reminded me of it somehow.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

rotinaj posted:

Update: I got a little bit better at fishing. I still suck at it. I just hate how the bar is trying to drop the whole time, while clicking it makes it go up, so all the advice of "click+hold" seems counterintuitive. It's just a tricky balancing act.

If you don't click FRANTICALLY, just click click click with... I don't know, gentle, slower clicks? you can hold it very steady. Click and hold gets it up, slower clicks float it in place.

Also, get the lead bobber thing. That way, those fish that jerk around are easier because you can just let the thing plummet to the bottom and not worry about having to control its bounces.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's not that hard to control the bounces if you learn to decelerate properly. The "capture bar decreases more slowly" one is much better.

yes, but I am talking to a person who is having trouble with getting a fish in the first place.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno, Linus says he's fine living outside and he's doing it by choice. I'm not sure trying to tie him down would be great for him. On the other hand, Shane is a black hole of misery, and he could use something better.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Minarchist posted:

Built a stable, activated the horse and this is the first name it gave me:

I went with it :v:

I got the same name and did the same thing.

Groverhorse for my Groverhaus.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Trebuchet King posted:

Does pregnancy just happen at some point after expanding the house to its biggest or is there some trigger event or item or something?

I think there's a trigger, but I've had the house upgraded and my spouse super happy for a while and I haven't seen it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kruller posted:

Your spouse needs to be happy AND you need to go to bed before her. Try getting her to 13/12 hearts, get the Stardrop she gives, then go to bed while she's inside but not in bed.

I've done that. It doesn't seem to work. I dunno, is it different if you're a lady with a husband or something?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Buzkashi posted:

Does my wife get mad every single time I give a gift to a single girl? I'd really like to get ten hearts with more townspeople but it's pretty obnoxious getting nagged every day am I right fellas eh eh? and other 90s sitcom humor.

She isn't legit mad. I mean, I haven't noticed any opinion malus. It's just an annoying things t hat happens. It doesn't always happen either! I've given gifts to singles and my husband didn't notice.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The White Dragon posted:

Did you give Haley a bouquet before you got married? I get the impression this is what's causing the issue. I've never had this problem and I always give presents to the other characters you can marry, but I also didn't give them bouquets.

Nope! I never gave them bouquets, it happens anyway.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

Once I get married, am I unable to go past 8 hearts with anyone who is single? Seems like a poor decision imo since you can reach 10 hearts with anyone not single. Especially since I guess that denies me a whole lot of cutscenes.

I could have sworn someone said you could, but it's sure not working for me.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Diplomat posted:

Abigail has unusual hair because she is actually the child of the wizard and one of those pinkish-purple birds from the title screen. She eats rocks because her gizzard needs gastroliths in order to effectively grind up the food that she swallows whole.

She dyes it, it's roughly the same color as her dad's naturally.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Deified Data posted:

My singular mod is a bald head hair replacer. It finally enabled me to achieve my dream of being a perpetually broke dirt farmer.

Agent 47's retirement years.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Psion posted:

marlon is right there!!! I'm sure this will be a quest added in 1.5.3 ;)

There is definitely a mod for that

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

Haha what is up with this crazy dog who pops out the window on the dinner date with Alex? Also this dude really order himself a steak and then me some mushroom salad?!

I also afterwards immediately had the cutscene for Gus' giant omelette! "Mmmm Ruined Eggs!"

I also really loved having a rival in Portia. I mean, I don't think there was a single day where I didn't beat him, but it was nice to have someone there taking jobs I didn't and giving me a reason to get up early to grab jobs.

edit: Pam just sent me a battery in the mail as a gift, then also sent me a letter with a quest for batteries she lost... is she okay?

She's drunk

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The thing that extra annoys me is that there is a wide world of fruits that he could have picked that weren't tomatoes. But he happened to find tomatoes specifically. How many oranges, apples, grapes, pears, etc did you pass before you lit on tomatoes, Demetrius? Were things not arranged in an order that groups fruits and vegetables, like often happens in stores? Why did you pick the tomatoes specifically?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Demetrius is neurodivergent as all hell, cut the dude some slack

He supports Robin for the Stardew Valley Fair despite clearly not getting it and referring to it as 'her carpentry stuff' so he obviously values her even if he doesn't understand her passion

quit hating on the dude because you're mad you can't romance the redhead

I hate on him because I'm not sure I've ever heard him acknowledge that his stepson exists. Then I hear Sebastian complaining that Demetrius told him to knock down his snowman (but not Maru's, which is perfect and precious.) Demetrius can be neurodivergent all he likes, no excuse for treating his stepkid like crap. And man, have you seen the marriage dialog? His comments about his family are along the lines of "it's nice to not have people nagging at me constantly" and "they must be glad I'm gone." poo poo's depressing!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I am sure the basement-dwelling computer nerd presents an entirely unbiased view of his stepdad

now I want a scene where Demetrius is trying to patiently explain to Sebastian that no matter how upset you are about the drama on your favorite message board, knocking the plate of 'chicken tendies' out of her hand is unacceptable

(I have never married Seb. he might turn out to be a much cooler dude than I give him credit for, but, like, none of the basement-dwelling computer touchers I have ever met had a good relationship with their parents - even the good, loving parents... but this is gonna go off on a very non-SDV tangent so I'mma stop now)

Also, echoing the love for Gus, he's great. I wonder if you married him if he'd switch around the menu at the Saloon to be entirely farm-to-table cuisine...

:yikes:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

Mt girlfriend married Shane and regrets her decision, she says she's going to divorce him as soon as we have finished pams house and get enough money because she cant stand that his room is a mess.

I also need a bunch of money because I need to be able to evict Krobus, woo someone else, have children with them, divorce them, wipe everyone's memories, and then have krobus move back in so he can experience the joys of parenthood. But I guess getting rid of Shane takes priority.

There's a mod to fix Shane's room at least! https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/828

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm a geologist and spend most of my time behind a computer screen making convoluted software work irl. I like Seb and Clint a whole lot.

Clint's seems socially awkward and backward, but that's industry standard for many geos.

Also I'm loving sick of Gunther, an ANTHROPOLOGIST, being an authority on rocks and minerals.

Someone mod Geop into the game to be a rock expert.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Unclouded posted:

Considering most festivals are sunny weather and Krobus can't go out in the sun most days I'd say probably not.

I'd invest in a big umbrella for him.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I basically ended up uninstalling all the extra NPC mods right after starting them. Ridgeside is insanely overwhelming. SVE didn't have the best first impression with the overly stupid MAGA neighbor who immediately gives me strawberry seeds and the cosplaying overly shy pink hair girl who immediately offers to sell me sprinklers (???). SVE had some stuff that looked interesting, but I could really have done without the actual characters. And East Scarpe seemed just kinda empty, like a big area of locked doors.

NGL, I didn't give Ridgeside even half a chance, I saw the number of NPCs and went "holy god" and yanked it. Maybe the writing is good! But that initial walkthrough of the area was... a lot. Really a lot.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I made it through a whole year of SVE and married the joja clerk until I realized she actually had less personality in the mod than in the original game

That's one of the ideas I liked, making those side people actual characters. I don't necessarily want to bang any of them, but it's weird that Marlon only ever comes out around festivals and Gunther's glued to his desk.

The execution was just lacking, and I could REALLY do without the weird MAGA guy and the pink haired girl. Yeah, I have anxiety too, I've never dove behind a plant because I saw another human.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 7, 2022

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

limp_cheese posted:

In a way I felt SVE made the game too easy with MAGA dude just giving you 20 Strawberry seeds for free. I'm pretty sure its before the festival too.

It's almost immediately, and you get a free sprinkler with more able to be purchased almost immediately too. (In hindsight, maybe it was star related? But it was framed as a "welcome" gift and I didn't really play long on that save, so I can't tell)

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 8, 2022

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Poque posted:

Shane is bad but only because he was chosen via poll over Wizard, the truest potential partner

There's a mod for that!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mega64 posted:

It's pretty straightforward even at first glance. Alex/Haley are the "popular" ones and only really hang out with each other, Harvey/Maru are the dorky nerds that work together, Abigail/Sebastian are the gamer nerds that hang out together, Leah/Elliot are the artsy outsiders that drink together, and Sam/Penny are kinda stuck with each other by default despite having nothing really in common. And even though Emily/Shane wasn't intended it still kinda works since she works at the saloon that he frequents daily.

He's also the alternate in Clint's events. They apparently talk about Chicken Stories.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That's what happens when your bedroom is an inaccessible ladder!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rythian posted:

Okay, one final big one to break my top 5 even more: I can't even imagine playing the game without Stardew Valley Expanded anymore. There's just so much good stuff added, feels like an expansion pack really. New areas, quests, loads of interesting and cool content. Maybe the new characters aren't your jam (I think they all have pretty good arcs as you get more hearts with them), but you could always ignore them or gift them rocks to piss them off like people do to Clint or Pierre.

I mean, you say that, but if they aren't your jam, then a whole bunch of vanilla characters have dialog by the same writers. If the new characters stick out like a sore thumb to me, are the rewritten/added-onto vanilla characters and probably also the quests going to ALSO not be my jam?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

game is stressful af to me without the time freeze while indoors at minimum. really appreciated My Time At Sandrock for having any easy to change time-scale slider as an option

Yeah I really dig the mods that do things with time, the speed of time just feels like a TEENY bit fast to me. Freezing indoors helps.

I ended up adding one second onto how long a ten minute tick lasts and it's surprising how much work that one second did to making the time passing feel better.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 18, 2022

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LLSix posted:

I always found adding time to the days made them too long. A lot my games end before the end of the first winter, and I've only had one make it all the way to the end of the second year.

I feel like that depends on how you play. Like me and Khanstant feel stress at the particular amount of time a day takes, so lengthening it a little makes the experience more comfortable. If that's not a problem you have, it'd probably be a bad thing, yeah.

Luckily, the Timespeed mod is SUPER easy to just turn on/off and modify, so it's easy to find a comfortable spot or decide that it's not for you and remove it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The horse was only good for one way trip in the morning (even if it's just to the mine carts) until I found a horse whistle mod, and that got patched into the base game. Once you can call the horse anywhere the extra speed is nice, and I guess you give it coffee when you drink some because it also benefits from that.

As if horses need anything to make them more nervous.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

the things the people of the valley will pay a premium to eat pickled/in juice form frighten me.

Pickled tea leaves struck me as weird until I typed it in Google and I'll be damned, it's a thing.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If my hut on Ginger Island is rockin, don't come a knocking.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Guildenstern Mother posted:

drat that's kind of a dick move honestly.

IT REALLY IS. Before this moment, I thought "oh, that's nice, so people who don't have greenhouses yet can grow a few plants indoors while they work on it!" Had no idea it was tied to the greenhouse. Surely there's a mod for that.

EDIT: https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/2759 There's one to make it based on Evelyn's friendship, that's better.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 28, 2022

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have managed to make a personal mod that turns the copper pan into a cowboy hat when it is on my head. I am now pleased.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
When you marry Sebastian, he basically seems like the City wasn't really the thing he wanted. He's happy just like... not being shut up in the basement and knowing there's a guy upstairs who kicks over his snowmen. And when he was single, going to the city seemed like the best way to get away from that.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sebastian wants to get a sidecar for his motorcycle so our kid can go with him on rides. :3:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Abigail just wants to get away from her parents, not the valley itself. She also mentions she loved exploring the farm before you moved in, as well as wanting to try delving into the Mines, so living on the farm's fantastic as far as she's concerned.

Also age-wise, I took most of them for being mostly about 23-ish on average (maybe 18-20 for Sam and Maru). Just starting their adult lives in earnest, and in some cases it's getting stifling being around their parents.

Harvey's old enough that he points out that it's harder to stay in shape the older you get and that it's wearing on him. Dude always strikes me as like drat 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm pretty sure the asking-Emily-out event was changed a few versions ago to not fire if you already have 8+ hearts with Emily.

Asking her out, yes. ATTEMPTING to ask her out, no, that event in the Stardrop Saloon still happens.