Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I wish rabbits reproduced. Why can't I put some rabbit fluff (or even a foot) in the incubator, dammit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I finally ground my way up (through many, many broken CDs and glasses) to the not-bamboo rod, and life is much better. Ironically, I had Linus's fancy bait long before I had a rod that could use it.

I married Penny, because she may not be very good at farming -- she keeps feeding animals in an autofeeder barn and coop -- but she really needs out from under Pam's thumb.

Also, I loving hate the way I have to chase my cows all around the barn to milk. I finally said gently caress it and settled on two goats and two pigs. For some reason, goats are easier to chase.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The conventional advice -- I've seen it in the Wiki and in articles -- is to build the silo before building a coop. I do it the other way; build a coop ASAP, then collect the sweet sweet egg-and-mayonnaise money while saving for the silo. You have all the summer and the fall (assuming minimal rain) for the chickens to eat grass, and the silo is affordable again fast after building the coop.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Dear Penny,
You don't need to feed the animals in the morning. See those funny-looking troughs in the back? They're autofeeders.

Maybe concentrate on your son. The one who is crawling around the floor unnoticed.
Love,
Jacques.

I mean, I know she wasn't raised on a farm, but dear God.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I wish I could cook for the kid or craft toys for the kid or something. It's even less interactive than the dog.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Sheep are really annoying because they have the barn-animal "feature" that you have to chase them. Rabbits shed wool automatically, with no need for shearing. I vote rabbits.

God, I hate chasing cows and goats, cornering the animal, and then having them flip ends without warning.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The Wiki still insists that if you max an animal's hearts it will roll over, and that isn't true any more.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Oh, gotcha.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Whoa. I've been annoying my wife all this time I've been riding around town peachifying everybody I can find? Suck it up, Penny, they're getting peaches while you're getting diamonds, melons, and poppies.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I have goats because goat cheese is way profitable. I have a cow for the recipes that demand milk. I hate my cow. She will not stand still for a second. I would pay good money for cow glue. Not glue made from cows, but glue *for* cows. I was ecstatic to discover yesterday that five-heart animals do just fine if you ignore them for a couple of days, assuming you have autofeeders. Now I can fish and mine again! I had to give myself a hard talking-to that imaginary mammals do not get imaginary mastitis from not being milked. I also felt guilty for selling off my pigs in winter because they eat without producing truffles.

I may be overpersonalizing this.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Poque posted:

Don't feel guilty, feel silly that 28 days of 50g for fodder costs 1400 and you make more than that with a single bottle of Truffle Oil assuming you took Artisan.
I bought new pigs at the end of winter and started leveling them up, so there'll be more truffles come spring. A full-heart pig sells for 20,528g.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Fishing is designed to be a hellhole. Things you should know:
  • Don't do it on a touchpad.
  • You're going to have to grind yourself up a level.
  • Catching garbage does add a few experience points, and will get you there eventually.
  • My GOD, don't do it on a touchpad.
  • You'll never catch anything but trash in your back yard.
  • The object of the game is to keep the fish inside the green bar until the line on the right hits the top. The green bar has inertia, so it's tricky.
  • You can move the green bar either by using a mouse or (I found this simpler) clicking the C key.
  • Fishing is much, much less of a hellhole once you've ground yourself up to the level where Willy will sell you a fiberglass rod.

Conclusion: Fishing sucks. I'm having fun now, but that's after reaching level 5, learning how to craft the superduper bait, and pulling a lot of crab pots.

The other thing you should know is that each villager likes slightly different gifts. A fabulous spreadsheet has a tab telling you each villager's subtly-different preferences. This pulls all the gift information from the Wiki into one place.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

If you use the C key, you aren't using the touchpad. You're using the C key.

e: To clarify, I play SV on a Macbook. I could not fish with the touchpad. I couldn't fish with the external trackball. I could fish with the C key. YMMV.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Oh! I assumed that the spirits not being in my favor applied to fishing as well as mining.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

If you're doing livestock at all, it's nice to have walls around the coop or barn; that way you can leave the doors open all day and night, but still be able to track down all the animals for their ritual pats on the head.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Fishing rules and if you don't like you are probably a pissbaby

Yes, because Stardew Valley is not a game for filthy casuals. *nodnod*

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Coolguye posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're here again

Whoops, sorry. What I should have said is that fishing is the only part of SV that I tense up during, and that in general I'm playing it for soothing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

It's okay to enjoy fishing and it's okay to not enjoy fishing :shobon:

What are you, a reasonable human being? :getout:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

(quote not edit)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You have to grind up a lot to get to the hook. I haven't managed it yet.

Psion posted:

what I'm hoping is that co-op is just two people working on one farm so you can have a designated Fishing Person and the other person handles crops and animals or something.
My game partner can handle grinding up all the @#$@34 relationships. (In real life, nobody grinds up the relationships and we are happy hermits.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

"Your honor, he was trying to date Harvey."
"Divorce granted. You get all the financial resources, but you have to pay for his court-ordered therapy."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That is genius. Thank you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I was going to go outdoor-garden-free this Spring but succumbed and planted 2 3x3 plots of garlic outside. I <3 my greenhouse.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

horse mans posted:

Is there some kind of heuristic or muscle memory I can employ to keep myself from constantly performing the wrong action on the wrong thing in the wrong direction? The control scheme is incredibly sensitive and context-sensitive and depends so much on where the cursor is relative to your avatar, which way your avatar is facing, and what you're holding in your hand. I've put like 30 hours in and I still, always, end up watering buildings, pickaxing in the wrong direction, and failing to orient myself correctly to talk to NPCs.
AFAIK this is just a feature. Note the hover here. I also find it exceptionally difficult to aim the hoe sideways for a long-press rather than up or down.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Coolguye posted:

the reason everyone fails at games is because programming is taxing. not hard, but loving taxing. it drains your skull. that's really the hurdle you need to learn to deal with, not the actual learning to code part.
Programming is (relatively) easy. The part that makes me cry is debugging. You wrote this beautiful command and now the guy is spinning around and clipping through his own foot and WHYYYYYY.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Today I learned that if you are trapped behind a sleeping animal -- say it's between you and the door -- there is absolutely nothing you can do and you're stuck waiting to fall asleep in the barn. No amount of running at the animal convinces it to move.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

CainsDescendant posted:

You can run through any animals/spouses/children/townspeople as long as you hold the button down in one direction long enough. It takes a few seconds, but eventually you clip through and can go about your business

No, I tried it in the barn, and it doesn't work with a sleeping pig or sheep. I'll try "randomize animals" next time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Rutibex posted:

I have had plants that go unwatered all season, that still live fine. They are on spots that are not hit by the sprinklers, and I can not be bothered to water them every day. They get water and grow only when it rains, but they don't ever die.

Maybe it changes with different plants?

I had some plants in the greenhouse that went unwatered for a bit (bad sprinkler pattern, and I couldn't move the sprinkler without killing a plant I wanted) and they just sat there, still green, at their current level of growth, till I figured out a way to water them automatically.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Dear Penny,
I realize that you do all the parenting while I bring in the money, but I do feel that when I come home at 12:50 our daughter should not be standing in the corner of the living room.

P.S. Why don't you bring me Stardrops any more?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Combat drives me mad. I can get stuck with my back to the opponent and no manner of pressing the movement keys will help.

e: For my newest run, I chose the "monsters come out at night" map. I just got to see one slime with a little heart over its head pursuing another slime into a bush, and then a baby slime popped out. Awwww.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 6, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Huh, you could help fix it up a la the community centre, for extra end-game content.

Cool. Only this time the Junimos say "You're on your own, babe."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

In forthcoming SDK, you are a new Joja employee, sent to restore the abandoned store. Your job is to get to 10 spades with all the town's inhabitants.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ARRGH. It was a bad-luck day and I didn't consider all the ramifications. I used the pickaxe to cut down a corn plant and it took out my Ancient Plant. Woes! Fortunately, I'd gotten two fruit from it, but I was planning on saving the next to use as seed. I'm really enjoying the monster farm. The monsters that spawn are pretty low-level (slime, zombies, and bats) so it's an easy way to grind up fightin' levels. And its lake is steps from the house, making it unnecessary to get a well.

Dear Fairy,
I had carefully planted a 5 x 4 grid of pumpkins, hoping to get several gold-star pumpkins. You came in the night and blessed my patch. This meant that all the pumpkins ripened at once WITH NO STARS. Thanks for nothing. Bitca.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Do heart conversations have pathways that actually affect your relationship with the person you're talking to? Or are they railroaded, so that all choices lead to the same end?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My first character married Penny. She is pathetically grateful, but keeps feeding animals in autofeeder barns. I do wish that message would be suppressed when there were no animals for the wife to feed.

Has the author said anything in public about whether he wants to work on a new game, or on whether he has new features he wants to do? The current update-in-progress is mostly internationalization.

Also, I assumed I should tell Penny I wanted ten children to max out the hot tub. Joke's on her, the game only allows two. Who are dull.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Welp, nice knowing you, Penny.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Refuse to mine or to accept items that just "fell off the train".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

LL6's advice is good. I would add:

Keep track of how many days are left in the season (there are always 28 days in a season) and stop planting if a plant won't mature by the 28th. For instance, it's Spring 23. Don't bother planting Kale, because it's a 6-day crop and won't mature until the (nonexistent) 29th. However, there's a trick! Plants only begin to grow the day after you plant them, so Spring 24 is too late to plant a 4-day crop like the parsnip. If you plant Spring 24, the plant starts growing Spring 25, and on Summer 1 it dies, not having had a chance to mature. You can save a lot of time by letting the field go fallow and using that time on something else; it only takes a day to re-hoe the field.

Fishing is frustrating by design. Some important tips:
  • Don't try with a trackpad. It's extremely frustrating.
  • Contrary to what the instructions say, you're trying to keep the fish inside the green bar, not just below it.
  • Try using the C key instead of clicking the mouse, and see if it's easier for you.
  • The easiest places to fish starting out are the lake just south of your farm (not the pond in your farm) and IIRC the lake beside the mine. Don't try to fish in the sea at first.
  • Even catching broken CDs and algae levels up your fishing. It's annoying as heck, but it will eventually get there.

Although the game ends at the end of the second year, you can keep playing for years after that; when you're playing the first time, a lot of the middle-to-end-game content won't even be unlocked within those two years. If you aren't minmaxing, just play the game as long as it's fun, then start again with a new character.

A lot of people advise you to build a silo before building a coop. If it's Spring or Summer, just build the coop and buy a chicken. The chicken will eat grass, giving you time to grind more cash from selling eggs and later mayonnaise, then build the silo.

Edit: When you're trying to figure out what to plant, check out the goon spreadsheetfor a list of what's most profitable. The spreadsheet also tells you which presents to give which villager and other useful facts.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 9, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The one thing I think is essential to play is using either the Wiki or the spreadsheet to keep track of which villagers like which presents. I can't possibly keep that matrix in my head. Every time I try to fly without lookups, I wind up giving Pierre a tortilla or Evelyn sashimi.

I really appreciate that objects in the universe persist; you can leave a chest outside the mine to dump all your valuables before mining, you can leave candles to highlight paths through the forest or secret entrances, and so on. In the mine, of course, levels are randomly generated and nothing you do persists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Oh, once you do start fishing, save all the trash and broken stuff you get. It'll be handy later.