Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Games > Stardew Valley: Astoundingly passionate arguing about fishing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You guys who want to marry Penny are forgetting the first loving rule: Never marry a woman whose mother you don't like and don't want to spend time around. (And vice versa with men/fathers.)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Combat in this game is incredibly loving annoying, I am constantly taking damage because my sword unexpectedly swung in the wrong direction.

Yes yes I realize the universal response to this complaint will be "it's not ConcernedApe's problem you suck, dude" and that's probably the correct response, but there it is.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

New Leaf posted:

I really wish people would say different things from year to year at festivals. There's like no reason to go around and talk to them..

I was talking to a friend about the game and we both agree that having new relationships crop up in town would be interesting - like if you wait too long to settle down and get married or start dating your dream girl is already taken.

I'm hoping he updates soon, I feel like I may be getting towards the end of current content and I'm only on Summer of year 2.

I mean the singles are already paired off in obvious sets (Abigail/Sebastian, Haley/Alex, Leah/Fabio, Maru/Harvey, Penny/Sam), the functionality isn't there yet but pretty clearly will arrive eventually. Although I guess the impending addition of Emily and Shane will muck that up somewhat since internet fans are dumb and went for Shane instead of Clint.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Without getting spoilers, IMO Haley's character development comes across as less "genuine changing of life priorities provoked by this new person in her world" and more "hormones provoking obsession with hot rich farmer that crowds out obsession with clothes, but once said hormones are satisfied and hot rich farmer is bagged status quo will return".

Similarly Abigail is all like "yeeeaaaahhh you know I could see myself being a farmer :buddy:" after her heart level's way up there but there's nothing in her character background to suggest she's actually anywhere near ready to be a responsible grownup. (She's still way cooler than Haley of course.)

Narratively that still puts them ahead of Maru and Penny who experience no significant personality development at all.

One thing Abigail has going for her is that she's the only one of the current SD single girls whose personality isn't one of the Stock Harvest Moon Girl Templates that go all the way back to the SNES original: Worldly Blonde Hottie (Eve/Haley), Obsessed Nerd (Ann/Maru), Nice Bookish Family Girl (Maria/Penny), Quirky Outdoorsy Girl (Nina/Leah, although I don't mean to insult Leah with that comparison, she isn't actively insane).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Eh, I thought Haley was less ""hormones provoking obsession with hot rich farmer that crowds out obsession with clothes, but once said hormones are satisfied and hot rich farmer is bagged status quo will return". than she was "Is an actual person once you get to know her." She's one of the few romance options, male or female, where I got the feeling she and the PC were actually becoming friends and really liking each other.

I subscribe more to the theory that the way you treat strangers says more about who you really are than the way you treat your close friends.

But the fact people can react very differently to the same characters speaks well of the writing. It's a drat fine effort for one guy doing almost everything himself.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

New Leaf posted:

Penny's 10 heart scene is far from what you'd probably expect it to be though. The implications are a bit risqué compared to most of the other scenes.

Dunno, Haley and Abigail's 10 heart scenes conclude with similar implications :pervert: But it's almost kinda charming in a way how un-subtle Penny is about it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Clint's more like the Charlie Brown. Good ol' Clint.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

I completed the fish tank in the community center and Willy gave me a copper pan. He explained how to use it but I didn't get a chance to actually use it since I had to buy some seeds before Pierre closed. Do the ripples show up often enough for me to carry around the copper pan all the time and are the minerals and ores you get actually make it worth it? I just unlocked the quarry and it seems that will give me everything I'll need for the foreseeable future.

It's not really worth it, the quarry is just better.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah in Harvest Moon animals (especially cows) were super profitable and the only way to make money in winter, but in Stardew Valley they're very lackluster and even in winter there are much better ways to make money. Animals aren't really worth the time investment at all besides for community center bundles and a few recipes.

It would be incredibly nice if you could hire a farmhand to milk/shear/gather your animal products and put them in artisan makers or chests. Like I'd happily pay them the entire normal revenue from those products, the money's negligible anyway compared to wine/ale and berries, I just want the products and don't want to have to spend five realtime minutes every goddamn morning gathering everything up and talking to all the animals. I'm with you on that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

It was talked about earlier though I can't remember if Concerned Ape gave a reason as to why he didn't support it.
Maybe because only two people in tow have farm-animals perhaps.

I mean Abigail automatically wins the egg festival if you don't, just saying Marnie automatically wins the cow festival if you don't would be better than not having one at all.

Currently I have my deluxe coop stocked with dinosaurs because I mean who wouldn't?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mining is a way easier (or at least more otherwise rewarding) way to make Emily love you. Short of that, lots of random forage (Daffodils, Sweet Peas, Crocuses) and salads are on her Likes list.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah, the way it functionally works out with speed-gro is there are only a few crops for which it'll let you squeeze in an extra harvest (blueberries being by far the most notable one).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I've already put Maru through college, grad school and med school thrice over with all my buildings and upgrades. Robin has more money than Yoba by now.

e: I like to think cranberries have some kind of military application and my government contract is why I get so filthy rich from growing them

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah my first time through I thought the fisher > pirate path was the way to go for more valuable fish plus extra treasure. But once you know how to make sashimi, trapper > mariner gives you basically like 1000 free energy every single day just from the 12 crab pots you can fit into the tiny pond near your house.

Not having to bait the crab pots every day is kinda nice, but it's actually super easy to grab your fish and rebait the pot instantly by holding down the right button with the bait in your hand and running past all your pots, it takes very little extra real time and practically no extra game time, and bait is dirt cheap even if you don't get piles of bug meat in the mines to make it yourself.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 22, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Wouldn't stopping time indoors freeze everyone's movement? More than once I have got to a shop 20min before closing time. The drat shopkeeper gets up from his seat and starts arranging poo poo on shelves, instead of letting me buy the pumpkin seeds I needed for the last viable day of the season to grow them! :argh:

With a frozen time mod you would not get to experience these wonderful Stardew Valley moments

The cheat mod that's the #1 mod on nexusmods handles this by just rolling the time back every time it changes. If you watch the clock you'll see it flicker forward and back every 5 seconds while you're indoors. People will walk in and out of the building you're in intermittently if their schedules call on them to do so in the near future. I'm not sure exactly how this deep magic works.

I use the cheat mod to increase my base movement speed to 3 I think because the default is ridiiiiculously slow. I realize this makes the game significantly easier than it's meant to be, but I don't care. :colbert:

Also today I learned that luck impacts enemy spawn rates, so if you're hunting slimes or dust sprites for eradication rewards it's best to hit the mines on a bad luck day and use the elevator to hop between floors instead of looking for ladders. Good luck days are best for just trying to clear as many floors as possible.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

1.1 probably isn't coming out for a few months yet. Scratch the itch.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Abigail's cool but no way in hell do I want Pierre for a father-in-law. Just no.

Similarly Pam is amusing from a distance but marrying Penny is inevitably going to mean Pam moving in in the near future and staying as she withers and then dies, which doesn't seem fun.

Really her independence from her family is one of the best things about Leah.

a medical mystery posted:

I'd love more external locations you could be bussed to, especially if it were possible to invite a villager friend along to hang out. Something like a mall would be cool if you could buy your friend an additional gift for the day and do a gift exchange with them. There could even be a stall system where you can apply for a license to set up some produce to sell there at a markup but have to wait for customers who may or may not be attracted based on the quality of your goods and the extent of the markup you choose.

Have you ever heard of The Sims? You might enjoy that game.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 26, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

New Leaf posted:

"Please, get this horrible reminder of my wife's infidelity out of my loving house!"

It's funny how Caroline is going "oh I wish Abigail wouldn't dye her hair purple" to random fellow villagers when she knows perfectly drat well that Abigail doesn't dye her hair and why it's naturally purple. Y'know, besides the fact Caroline's own hair is green and she's criticizing her daughter for having a weird hair color.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

True story, Linus mailed me some sashimi one morning so I thought, cool, I'll just give it to the first villager I see. The first villager I saw turned out to be Kent, who it turns out is one of the like 3 villagers that hates sashimi.

The next morning, Kent put a bomb in my mailbox.

:stonk:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Ah, okay, that makes sense with Sam.

And that's really loving sad about Elliot. What the hell. Marriage doesn't seem like it does a whole lot for your spouse, aside from getting a few of them out of mom and dad's house? One of my friends kept saying that I'd be better off with Elliot and... wow. I guess not.

Leah takes to it a lot better than Elliott does, and Alex makes a surprisingly awesome spouse.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

His whole thing about the bike was also using it to go visit the city and he also just told me he has no real interest in going to the city anymore. gently caress. I feel extremely bad for the dude right now, I think I ruined his life by marrying him. Can't wait to have a kid so I can ruin it some more.

Abigail also seems pretty happy about being married to you, but I actually can't help but think she and Sebastian really need to get together, get the hell out of Stardew Valley and never look back, and marrying either of them is ultimately going to give them unfulfilled lives.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Setting aside spreadsheet use, the simple way to get filthy rich fast that works for me is:

- Grow as many parsnips as possible in spring
- Try to get down to about L65 in the Mines ASAP, and then farm 55-65 for coal on unlucky days
- Tap trees ASAP and build as many bee houses as resources allow, also collect oak resin for future kegs
- On Summer 1 spend all available money on blueberries and hops
- As soon as kegs become available make as many as you can

That's pretty much it really. Kegs are the path to Scrooge McDuck money and there is no second place.

Oh and the strawberry seeds at the egg festival do offer enough ROI to buy however many you can and plant them immediately, I'm pretty sure. Don't try to stash them for future springs though, that would be wasting money better spent on blueberries and hops on Summer 1.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 24, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Multiplayer's starting to sound like that one feature that keeps getting promised and keeps getting pushed back to the next update, really, we swear this time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Meldonox posted:

Coincidentally, I have no idea how effectively I'm doing things. I'm on Spring 24 of the first year, it looks like I'm at level 80-something in the mine, and I'm using something like four 3x3 plots for my farming, which presumably I did so I could hit the mine aggressively without losing all my time/stamina on the fields. Who knows. Any suggestions going into summer?

You're doing it right, just buy all the blueberry seeds you can on Summer 1. Spring crops suck for profitability, better to spend your time in the mines so as to acquire gold (and then iridium) for as many quality/iridium sprinklers as you can make before fall.

gmq posted:

So, sprinklers are useless right?

EDIT: Quality sprinklers seem expensive for what little they actually water. Or maybe my coal deficit is affecting how I see things that use ore bars.

Quality sprinklers are great and gold is plentiful at the bottom levels of the mine. Iridium is even better of course but a field full of quality sprinklers saves you a bunch of time and energy and enables you to belt out far more cranberries than you otherwise could.

The best way to get coal in bulk is to wait for a bad luck day and bounce back and forth between levels 55 and 65 of the mine, killing dust sprites.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 10, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

gmq posted:

Are you absolutely sure? The wiki says that high luck increases the chances of finding coal.

Yes but even on a max luck day you don't find very much coal while mining stone, whereas on a worst luck day enemies (thus, on L55-65, dust sprites) are everywhere, and every dead dust sprite is worth 0.5 coal. It's a much faster way of racking up coal than mining rocks (and your pickaxe drains energy where your sword does not).

e: Plus the dust sprite eradication goal yields an item that doubles all monster loot, which includes coal from dust sprites!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

About half the time the thread has 2-4 new replies and it's always someone asking "is the new patch out yet?" and others saying "no" :v:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Coolguye posted:

you guys know that you can just choose not to be a dick right

What else would playing video games be for :confused:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dorkopotamis posted:

Which marriage candidate is the biggest sex freak?

Used to be Elliott but now it's definitely Emily

e: Among the girls the best reason to marry Leah is no in-laws in sight. That's also true of Haley but Haley is and always will be emotionally 10 years old so no thanks.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 1, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

LLSix posted:

Haley grows up a good deal in her higher heart events.

One of the fun things about Stardew Valley is the way we'll keep going round and round about things like this until the heat death of the universe, but: Haley doesn't grow up at all, she just sets her eye on the prize of the rich and rapidly growing richer farmer that every girl in town is after and adjusts her behavior accordingly.

Of course you could play the game such that you're not rich and then when Emily confides that Haley's always dreamed of marrying rich, it can be interpreted as "d'awww, you've made her see there's more precious things in life than money, she's all grown up! :3:" But suffice to say most of us are already rolling in Scrooge McDuck money by the time we get married in this game.

There's some character development with most of the marriageables (Alex realizing he's not going to make it big in sports, Leah gaining confidence enough to put her art out there, Sam living his musical dream) but none of them is anywhere near as sudden and jarring as Haley's total 180 from "Ewww, get away from me you filthy farmer" to "Haha I love rolling around in filth and dream of living on a farm now" when you get above 6 hearts, which is because it's not genuine :colbert:

And furthermore :words:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Solumin posted:

I hadn't realized Pale Ale is worth 12x the base price of Hops :v: I need more kegs...

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stardew Valley: I need more kegs

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Solumin posted:

Alright, more newbie questions: What should I do with my first 5 bars of iridium? Make an iridium band? Upgrade my pickax?

Make 5 iridium sprinklers, IMO.

Just off the top of my head my priorities for iridium would be:

About 8 sprinklers (after that I can live with buying one a week off Krobus)
Pickaxe
Hoe
Axe
Watering Can
Iridium Band

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Thanqol posted:

"Oh hey, Stardew Valley had an update" *click*

FIVE DAYS LATER

Why does a game about eating healthy, going outside and making friends lead to situations where I'm thinking "Okay, the last chance to order pizza was two hours ago, I think I have some potato chips around here somewhere."

This at least drat well should lead the OP.

e: if i'm interpreting the balance changes right then starfruit wine is now the undisputed Only True Way to get filthy rich ASAP

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 3, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Blueberries are now about on par with strawberries and there's nothing else nearly as profitable in summer (only red cabbage comes close) until you have the money to invest in starfruit.

Cranberries still rule the fall, though. Between them and fairy rose honey, the changes make the game revolve around Fall even more than previously.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Leal posted:

So with the nerf to crops and buff to animal products is the level 5 farming any more of an actual choice or do I just stick with the crop line still.

E: Oh wait, I forgot the rank 10 down the rancher line is still pretty butts compared to getting a boost to your artisan goods. Tiller line is still the best. Maybe if I could actually butcher my animals or at the very least selling them at higher hearts was way more profitable compared to the effort involved I'd be interested in getting higher hearts with animals, but by the time I hit farming 10 and had interest in being a rancher my animals would of already had full hearts anyways.

Yeah, animals are still nowhere near as profitable as crops.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I've been turning carp into sashimi but aside from desperately trying to catch tilapia, I don't normally fish so much. :(

I think I mentioned this when it happened but if you don't give gifts regularly, they loving NOTICE. Sebastian refused to get out of bed for a while and I lost hearts because I went a week without giving him gifts. Little bastard.

I have full hearts with Shane, I wonder if there are new heart events that I'll get to see? I don't know how that works with him. I thought about re-starting to go for him or for Leah but am too lazy.

Sashimi and quality fertilizer are the entire reason crab pots exist.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cythereal posted:

At this point, my money's on Emily being the Wizard's kid, not Abigail. Abigail is merely quirky. Emily appears to be throwing around honest to goodness magic.

When it comes to who is whose child "she has the same hair color and her mother admits to hanging around the wizard's place in her youth until her husband got suspicious and jealous" is somewhat more relevant information than "she's weird and so is the wizard".

Notwithstanding Abigail also is nocturnal and into occult stuff and also likes to hang around the wizard''s tower.

It's amazing that people continue to insist Abigail isn't the wizard's bastard daughter when CA has practically drawn us a map

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Abigail's hair isn't naturally purple, it's dyed, and while she's interested in the occult she doesn't use actual magic like Emily does - and there's no indication Emily's blue hair is dye.

Caroline says Abigail dyes it. Abigail says she doesn't. It should be obvious why Caroline would want everyone (and Pierre in particular) to believe Abigail's hair isn't naturally purple.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Asciana posted:

Are Blueberries still the go to crop for summer?

Before Starfruit is available, yeah. They're no longer the Only Crop but they still beat out Red Cabbage for #2 summer crop (Starfruit trounces them post-1.1 nerf, though.)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think that means you can build stuff on actual grass the stuff that grows, not the areas where the ground is green.

There need to be event choices so you can side with Joja, marry Abigail and convince Caroline to leave Pierre to get back with the Wizard, leaving Pierre a destitute hollow shell of what was once a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It sounds like the hilltop farm mining area runs off basically the same code as the quarry, which means it's pretty much useless except for a few free geodes.