Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
I might be wrong (in which case, I was staggeringly unlucky), but I think the pig needs open ground to find a truffle, too; at least, I got none at all for weeks when I had the little oinky bastards in a fully grass-covered pen, but got two immediately as soon as I scythed down half of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Dragongem posted:

I've played for 40 hours and I never knew this
Same here.

Even worse: I've played for 64 hours and only realized half an hour ago that there are equipment slots at the lower left in the inventory window.

I did all 120 mine levels and 25 Skull Cave levels with my boots and rings sitting in my backpack the entire goddamn time.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Steelion posted:

really though, you'd think the fact that my rabbits just occasionally shed an entire foot would run afoul of some regulation or another
You know how sharks have multiple rows of teeth? That's exactly what it's like with rabbits in Stardew Valley. Just rows and rows of feet. More than could possibly fit on a small bunny. More than should fit.

Yoba worship, man. It's...it's just not a wholesome place.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Of course I plant vegetables... in my front yard, as a hobby. My livelihood is the greenhouse full of Ancient Fruit.
Ha, I'm still working towards a greenhouse full of ancient fruit, because I'm anticipating that it will be completely ridiculous.

So far I've got five plants growing and I'm just rolling them through the seed extractor to make more, while filling out the rest of the place with starfruit...all of which go into the keg barn next door (no animals, just kegs), because if you're going to do something this pointless, you really have to go all the way with it.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Bad Seafood posted:

I've only just started herding animals on my main farm. Do they continue to produce through winter?
Yes, except for pigs, because they only produce truffles outdoors and animals don't go outside in winter. You can get everything else, though. And as mentioned above, you need a heater, or your animals will be too cold and sad to do anything.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Am I right in thinking that once you've got a galaxy sword and more iridium bars than you will ever be able to use, there's no reason to ever go back down into the Skull Cave except for personal amusement? There's nothing else in particular down there that isn't just as easy to get elsewhere, right?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

This was added in a recent patch, yes. Pam now talks about how "grumble grumble guess I'll be popping a pizza in the microwave tonight..." etc
Nah, Pam just says that to everyone; her daughter still lives with her in my game (I got along better with Abigail), and she's told me that a few times.

I suspect that none of the potential in-laws really had anything added to their dialogues post-marriage. If they did, it wasn't a lot.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Holy crap, that's beautiful. I did a similar thing using cheese presses, oil makers, looms, and mayo machines, but not all the way around, and it didn't look nearly as pretty as that. Time to put all those extra bat wings to use, I guess!

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Ville Valo posted:

I'm starting Fall of Year 2 and am just missing a rabbit's foot to finish the community center. I've had a rabbit since Summer 1 and never seen one. Does it make sense to buy a bunch of rabbits right now, or will there not be enough time for them to mature by end of Year 2? I assume community center factors into scoring.
Yeah, it's unlikely that any bunnies will be old enough or happy enough to gnaw off their old feet for you before Spring comes. Not impossible, I think, just...you'd need to be lucky. Then again, if you don't need the money for something else, you may as well give it a shot.

As a backup plan, visit the traveling merchant every Friday and Sunday and hope for the best -- I bought a foot for my community center from there something like two seasons before I got a single one from the coop.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

GotLag posted:

Is there any point in opening barn doors in winter? I have a heater, does opening the door counteract that?
Keep the doors closed! Are you trying to heat the whole outdoors?

...since the animals aren't going to go outside in winter, ever, you have no reason to open the doors.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

I am concerned about the parenting in Stardew Valley though, allowing an anklebiter free reign of the house while both parents are out seems like a surefire way to a dead baby
It seems like every time I stumble home at 1:30am, the toddlers are still up. We are raising feral children, incapable of speech, obeying no rules and acknowledging no masters. They will be the death of us.

Especially since nine times out of ten, one of the little monsters is standing in the friggin' living room staring me down as I'm heading off to bed.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

if the crab pots are in a line, looting them pauses the game, so even with all my pots it only uses like an hour in game to loot them all.
Do you have an easy trick for not accidentally picking up a crab pot while you're running down the line looting them? I swear, every week I gently caress that up and have to shuffle around in my inventory to put the stupid thing back.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

MisterBibs posted:

Do both chickens and cows want to go outside, eat a combo of hay and grass, and need to be fenced in, or just cows?
I think all animals want to go outside and eat grass whenever possible.

As far as fencing goes, none of them care one way or the other -- the only reason you'd want a fence for anything other than aesthetic purposes would be if you're raising pigs, so that you can keep all the truffles within one easy-to-search area.

Captain Lavender posted:

What's really sticking in my craw is the Void Egg. I'm halfway through my 3rd year, and I haven't seen one at the cart or in this supposed random event. I have a theory though: I've heard that the random event is triggered when you upgrade your coop. I did that the very moment I had the resources to do it, and I filled it with livestock immediately. I'm wondering if not having an empty slot in there prevented the event.
Maybe, but for whatever it's worth that random event never happened for me, either, and my coop was definitely not full when I was upgrading it -- I got lucky and got a void egg from the cart, thankfully.

I can absolutely confirm that any eggs incubated in a coop that's already full just stay in the incubator until you finally make room for a new bird, which was unexpected but nice.

Trilobite fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 2, 2016

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
The animals have to mosey over to the grass before they can eat it -- they pretty much devour everything closest to the coop and the barn. (Which is okay, because it gives me a big bare patch of ground for the pigs to do their jobs.)

As a practical matter, though, it's probably not going to be an issue. They don't have anything else they need to do but eat, so if they have to walk farther before they can, big fuckin' deal.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Elendil004 posted:

I have been at 9 mining and 9 combat for a long time, does it just take a lot to get to 10 or am I doing something wrong? Making three trips as deep as I can in the desert mine a week and have been for a couple seasons.
Those were the last two I got, doing more or less the same thing, so...yeah. It just takes a long time.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Grozz Nuy posted:

Quick question, since the wiki is kind of unclear on it: how exactly does pigs producing truffles work? I'm closing in on finishing the community center and it's one of the last things I need, and the wiki says 'produced every morning when the pig is left outside'. Should I be leaving the barn door open overnight (which I'm currently not doing because I read it makes the goats sad) or is that unnecessary and I'm just not finding wherever the pig has dug it up? It just reached adulthood a couple days ago and is at one heart, if that matters.
I've got seven pigs; generally what's been happening is that I let them out in the morning (assuming I even bothered to close the barn the evening before, which is...unlikely) and then go do my other morning farm chores. By the time I'm done checking the crab pots for recyclables, harvesting whatever's harvestable, checking the greenhouse, checking the keg barn, and collecting all the stuff from the coop and processing it, the pigs have usually dug up a bunch of truffles. If I hang around longer, they'll usually find a few more. I suspect there's a limit to how many each pig can find: the best my cadre of deliriously happy swine have managed so far is 12 in one day, usually it's more like 7-9.

What I haven't seen is truffles appearing when I'm not actually hanging around my farm -- if I get out of bed and gently caress directly off to the mines or the beach and don't come back until all the animals have gone back indoors, the barnyard's empty. (Which would make sense, if pigs could dig up truffles when you weren't on the same map as them, it'd be pretty much the only thing on your farm that worked that way.)

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

prom candy posted:

I like the use of machines in lieu of fences, this'll actually solve a problem I've been having with my oppressively small animal yard.
Oh, definitely. I stumbled into that realization in my game when I plugged a 2-square gap between the coop and barn with a lamppost and a chest, and suddenly wondered why I was wasting time maintaining fences.

If you missed it, Dr. Stab posted this earlier in the thread, which pretty much revolutionized my whole barnyard. (Finally, a use for all of the refined quartz and bat wings cluttering up my crafting chest!)

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Poil posted:

Is there a way to buy some bookshelves? I'm really missing furniture that aren't chairs, lamps or plants.
Yeah, they occasionally come up for sale at Robin's, or even more occasionally at the traveling cart.

You'll just have to cross your fingers and hope that you get lucky some day and find a bookcase instead of a random house plant or THE ENTIRE loving BIRCH COLLECTION OH MY GOD ROBIN YOU BUILT MY GODDAMN KITCHEN AND KNOW MY CABINETS ARE DARK WOOD WHAT THE gently caress AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THIS BULLSHIT. :cheeky:

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

GotLag posted:

I had another go at the Legend (on the second-last day of the season, no less) and caught the first one I encountered. But I only caught it because it was hardly dodging, or dodging in directions my reel was already moving. I kept fishing for the rest of the day (because why not) and I encountered 3 more Legends
:confused: I thought there was one and only one Legend fish, and that once you caught it, you would never find another one in the lake again.

Are you sure those other fish were also the Legend fish (complete with little hat), and not just Lingcod or something? Or does the game only register that a legendary fish has been caught on the morning of the next day? (Because I did like catching some of the other legendary fish, and wouldn't have minded the chance to get multiples of 'em.)

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Paul.Power posted:

I remember someone suggesting postal workers and a post office at some point. If nothing else, it'd be cool to be able to send mail as well as receive it.
If it includes the kind of hilarity you could get out of the Animal Crossing mail system (with NPC reactions based on spellcheck rather than content), I'm all for it!

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

IAmTheRad posted:

Abigail dyes her hair. It's been said by Caroline as well as Abigail.
I still think it's weird that Caroline, of all people, complains that Abigail should stop coloring her hair: maybe you should stop first, Caroline. Nobody believes you went green naturally.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Disgusting Coward posted:

Man is there any point whatsoever to a slime hutch?
I guess if you want iridium but you don't want to go to the skull cave or make your grandpa's ghost proud, it might be worth the effort? Apparently you can breed large quantities of iridium-dropping purple slimes in there if you put in some effort.

...honestly, it doesn't make any sense to me, either. Maybe it's some pure, bloody-minded completionist impulse at work, or maybe some people just like having a stone bunker on their property full of homicidal blobbies. You can do whatever you want in life.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Tenebrais posted:

You can't put them to work, exactly. You'll just wake up some mornings to find they've done you a favour - watered some plants, or fed the animals, or repaired some fences, or got you a gift. You can't tell them what to do.
It's at a fairly low frequency, too, even when your relationship is absolutely maxed out. Gifts seem to come up more often than watering/feeding (which, honestly, you've probably already fully automated by the time you're married), and fences seem to come up the least often for me.

Which is fine, really. Sometimes I wish there was a way to hire a farmhand, but I didn't get married because I was counting on my spouse to perform useful labor on my behalf regularly. No, I got married because I was counting on getting a free stardrop eventually, plus I knew it would please my dead grandfather enough for him to give me a cat statue that shits iridium every day. That's what marriage is about.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Mazz posted:

Can't wait for 1.1 at this point
I know what you mean. I'm in the mood to start a new game and just unwind with some low-key farming, but knowing that new content is on the way is making me want to wait.

No lazy evenings of fishing for me 'til 1.1 is out, I guess. :(

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Yeah, I can't really disagree with either the pro-fishing or anti-fishing crowd. Depending on where you are in the process, both opinions are entirely valid.

I bounced off of fishing pretty hard early on; the instructions were rudimentary to begin with, and honestly, I think I didn't even see them, so the whole minigame was just an inscrutable mess. Later on, I read about and watched some videos about it, and that got me to sit down and try it again. It was still stressful and occasionally frustrating, but less so than mining, so it was a good backup activity for a day. And then the fiberglass rod unlocked, and finally I got how fishing worked, and fishing became this fun, relaxing thing to do. I genuinely looked forward to spending an entire day fishing, which is not at all what I expected when I was handed that first fishing rod.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

MacheteZombie posted:

Pretty sure if you walk into your dog/cat they move the direction your moving, just a little bit at a time though.
Not always; I've gotten stuck in the doorway thanks to my cat, and no amount of constant, endless running into that lazy little poo poo moved it one pixel. :argh:

I figured it was retribution for something, like maybe the cat was getting back at me for putting down scarecrows all over the fields so there weren't any birds for it to murder.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

limp_cheese posted:

Do the ripples show up often enough for me to carry around the copper pan all the time and are the minerals and ores you get actually make it worth it?
They show up fairly infrequently -- like the bubbles indicating good fishing spots, you really have to be willing to look around for them, and even then, you probably won't find more than one.

If you've got a lot of free inventory space anyway, what the hell, bring it along -- but it's mostly just a curiosity, like the slingshots. You get more ore, more reliably, from pretty much anything else.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Bieeardo posted:

I'm probably going to get rid of my pig and my rabbit, even still. The duck and the goats produce consistently, every other day, but those two are a complete crapshoot.
I ended up dumping all my bunnies (wool just isn't worth the effort, ever, and waiting for their feet to fall off for gifts took too long to be practical), but I kept a lot of pigs because truffles are more than a little ridiculous. Considering that at that stage I was already past the point where money mattered, I'm not entirely sure why I went that route, but there was something oddly satisfying about clearing over 15k on truffle oil five or six days a week.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I built a slime hutch because Sebastian, the man who doesn't lift a finger to care for our child and only sometimes fills a pet water dish, said it would be a "fun hobby for us."

I have no idea what the hell to do with them. Well, I mean, I have a base idea - but is this really worth the hassle? It seems like it's just novelty?
Yeah, pretty much. I've read that the "benefit" of owning a slime hutch is that you can eventually get a bunch of iridium-dropping purple slimes in there, but man, that has to be the worst way to get iridium in the game.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

gmq posted:

Are you absolutely sure? The wiki says that high luck increases the chances of finding coal.
From mining, yes, high luck = more coal.

But bad luck = more monsters = more dust sprites = more sooty little corpses that can drop coal than you'd get on a luckier day. Basically, you can mine your coal on a good day, but you can also fight for it on a bad one.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Solumin posted:

Stardew Valley isn't all about money, but could focusing on animals be fun?
It depends on how you feel about tending to animals. To me, it was less fun and relaxing than farming or fishing, and about as fun as but more relaxing than mining and fighting.

Raising animals had a lot of hurry-up-and-wait going on with it: I felt slammed with a lot of different tasks running concurrently right at the beginning, and then was stuck with a lot of waiting around for the machines to finish turning the eggs and milk and truffles into something valuable. It wasn't bad, but it didn't hit the sweet spot that tending to the fields did. YMMV.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Do y'all fence in your animals?
Yeah, entirely because I usually put the barn and coop together (one-stop petting/grass-seeding), and pigs are a royal pain in the rear end if they aren't fenced in. No point in having to hunt all over the place for truffles when you can guarantee that they'll all be in the same place, right?

Also, I use artisan machines (cheese presses, mayo machines, oil makers, etc.) instead of a fence on the side facing the farmhouse and lightning rods on the other two sides, so once I've got them fenced in, I don't have to do anything at all to keep them that way. Just lay down enough grass in there at the start of a season to keep pace with their appetites, and then collect the money.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Omnicarus posted:

And you can make Truffles the only crop you need. A barn of pigs will find between 15k and 30k of truffles a day. An iridium truffle is actually worth more than truffle oil.
I think that's only true if for some reason you didn't go the Artisan route with farming. Admittedly, it's not a huge markup -- you get 1250 for an iridium truffle, but 1491 for an artisan-grade truffle oil.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Meridian posted:

Now that I have a metric fuckton of berries to keep my jelly and wine operation going I am considering selling my cows and goats in favor of pigs.

Are they useless during the winter? Figured they would stay inside the whole time.
Yeah, pigs take Winter off. It's actually kind of nice if you're already flush with cash, since it saves you a trip to the barn.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
I'm honestly amazed at how massive some of the fields posted here are; holy crap, it must take you people entire days to deal with the start of a new season, let alone bringing in the harvest.

I'm away from my gaming computer at the moment so I can't post a picture, but I've been really happy with the latest iteration of my farm.

It's one tall 15x26 rectangle consisting of:
- a junimo hut at the very top (so add a 3x2 rectangle to the top of the 15x26 like a little hat, I guess),
- a 15x15 square (9 iridium sprinklers) directly below that,
- two 6x3 rectangles (4 quality sprinklers) on either side of a 3x3 space (junimo hut + a 3x1 strip of paving) directly below that,
- and one 15x5 rectangle (3 iridium sprinklers) at the bottom.

It's only 320 crops, but only needs 5 scarecrows (2 on either side, 1 centered at the bottom); I can till and plant the whole thing easily on day 1 and ignore it for the rest of the season because everything's fully covered and automated, which suits me fine.

I've also thrown in a couple of satellite beehive clusters, one just west of the second scarecrow on the west side, basically putting a quality sprinkler and 8 flowers down at the edge of what the scarecrow can cover, and then arranging 54 (on the west, 56 on the south) hives around it for easy harvesting. I have a bad habit of misclicking and pulling out flowers when I'm hurrying, so it's all set up to keep me from ever coming within 1 square of the actual flowers. I'm genuinely proud of the hives, they're probably the second most lucrative thing I've got going on my hobbyist/little-bit-of-everything farm, trailing the ancient fruit winery by a lot but coming in ahead of the truffle oil production line.

The rest is fairly predictable -- a keg barn next to the greenhouse, a simple orchard, some crab pots in the little pool, a couple of tightly planted and neatly arranged fields of tapped trees, a barn and a coop butted up against each other and "fenced" with lightning rods and machines, and the southwest corner left alone because I can't be arsed to go that far to do chores. I figure if I can get everything done before noon and then gently caress off to do something else, then I've won farming.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Dr. Stab posted:

They gather everything in a 17x17 square, centered around the door of the hut. It takes them real time to do it, so if you end the day early, they might not have collected everything.

e: that is, every crop. They don't do artisan goods.
Besides harvesting flowers (as Coolguye points out above), they also don't work in the rain. So that's three things to worry about -- placing them so they won't screw up your beehives, remembering to do your own harvesting on rainy days, and being patient with how slowly they work.

It's still a bargain price for them -- just having them around to deal with hops in the summer makes them worthwhile. I still wish I could hire Shane or Linus to deal with the livestock, but I'm glad to have those dopey little gumdrops enslaved to my agricultural empire.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Rutibex posted:

Should I buy Rare Seeds from the cart and fill the rest of it up with Sweet Gem Berries?
Seems awfully extravagant. I mean, if you're just looking for stuff to grow while waiting for the ancient fruit juggernaut to get going, you'd arguably get more mileage out of starfruit: cheaper seeds, faster harvests, can go into kegs.

That said, the sheer excess of a greenhouse full of sweet gem berries certainly has its appeal. ;)

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
You could always wait a day to delay the first harvest so it'll sync up with the second group, if you really want everything to be harvestable on the same day. (The crop timer resets when you harvest, not when the crop first becomes harvestable.)

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Tatsuta Age posted:

Is there even a point to making truffle oil out of iridium truffles
A tiny bit of extra money if you've got the Artisan perk. (1250 for an iridium truffle, 1491 for artisan-grade truffle oil.)
(edit: beaten to the punch by Avalerion, so I'll add that it's slightly worth your time to put normal dinosaur eggs into a mayo machine if you're an Artisan, but silver and gold star dino eggs are worth more as-is.)

Trilobite fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Legs Benedict posted:

There's a big difference between "optimization" and "min-maxing", imo. I'm not interested in the latter, which would involve using Deluxe Barns instead of sheds for all my poo poo.
The wiki says this is the optimal layout for a shed, and I don't know that it's worth going to any real effort trying to disprove that. 67 machines, if I remember correctly.