Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I've made a few farms and somehow it never occurred to me to actually... look at this thread. And already I've learned so much!

Anyway, hi, ya'll!

My first farm was a Forest farm which came out pretty well, then I did a co-op farm with my husband and another friend. Said other friend loaded us down with a buuuuuuuuunch of mods. Then the game went on sale on Switch so I did another (Forest) farm there, but I started missing the mods after I got into Y3... So now I've started a beach farm! I got the sprinklers on the sand mod because gently caress that noise, but other than that I'm just going about my business. I did the remixed bundles for the first time ever and that's been a lot of fun so far! Also I gave Shane a pizza on his birthday and the bastard repays me by shooting me down at the Flower Dance. :mad: Jerk! Just you wait until these peppers grow in, then you and me are going to be best friends!

I am unsure who I will marry this time... My first farm I completely ignored the social aspect. My farmer just lived alone with her cat, her small army of animals, and her piles of money. Eventually I had Krobus move in after that became a thing. Switch Farm I ended up shacking up with Shane because I'd already done most of the work to get his chickens. This time I haven't decided yet. Abigail is cool... but Elliott also seems like an ok dude and he already lives in a beach shack so he'd be right at home on a beach farm. I feel like Leah would also fit in, though... Undecided!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I suddenly remembered one of my gripes with marrying Shane: Jas just gets left alone with Marnie all the time. There should be an option to adopt Jas if you marry Shane!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I forget who it was, but somebody in here awhile back was wondering how many of each ingredient you need to have on hand in order to get the"cook everything" achievement. Well, the Stardew wiki has a list! It's under the cooking section.

I might give it a shot myself. I largely ignore the cooking aside from pumping out Sashimi to hand out and Triple Shot Espresso to keep myself on a constant caffeine bender. Having a list like that would at least tell me what I need to stockpile, and with the mini fridges I can actually hold it all!

I've never tried for 100% "Perfection" either.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

chaleski posted:

I gave Clint dirt for his birthday

I gave him a geode.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I feel like an idiot. I'd been dragging my feet on automating my crab pots because I didn't want to have to run around shoving bait in them and my fishing level isn't high enough to make that no longer a problem. Today I got sick of fishing being stuck at lv 9 when every other skill is maxed out.

After a quick Google, I learned that you can't automate crab pots on the beach, as you can't put stuff close enough to them, however you CAN automate them on river banks and piers. And here's where the idiot part comes in: of course you can load bait in the chest and have it automatically feed the crab pots. Why in the bloody gently caress wouldn't you be able to, Past Me?! And if that isn't good enough for you, you can also stick a worm bin next to the chest and it'll feed bait into it for you! And for the final kick in the dang nuts: I woke up this morning after setting up some test crab pots and got some fishing exp as soon as the day loaded.

YOU MEAN I COULD HAVE BEEN GETTING PASSIVE FISHING EXP THIS WHOLE TIME?! It's me, I am the idiot!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

maltesh posted:

You can absolutely use the Automate mod with Crab Pots on the beach. It's the first place I started using Automate with Crab Pots off the farm

Edit: Or were you talking about the Beach Farm?

Squinting cuz phone posting. Um, hmm. Ok so it looks like you lined the beach with the pots and linked them up at the docks? I can try doing that.

I was specifically talking about the beach farm but more generally I tried putting pots in the ocean, from the sand not the pier, and I can't put chests close enough to them to automate. However a setup like yours would absolutely work and once again I am the idiot for not thinking of this. Clearly I am not using this mod anywhere close to its full potential.

Only an hour or so left at the office here and I can go try some poo poo out! :dance: Can't wait! There was some office drama today that stressed me out so I could really use some chill farming time.

Edit: Oh and if anyone else is discovering they're an idiot alongside me, I keep forgetting I can buy crab pots from Willy! That would save me a lot of wood and coal.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 23, 2021

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Plus Lava Eels can also give you that sweet delicious Spicy Eel, and everyone needs more of that in their life!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Coolguye posted:

henry david thoreau was a douche

Elliott always gave me strong Thoreau energy, which is partially why I ignored him in my previous farms. This time around I have concluded the dude's all right. Still undecided between marrying him or Leah. I'm working on getting everyone else's hearts up before I decide.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I finally got every marriage candidate up to 10-hearts, saw both group 10-heart events (with a rabbit's foot in my inventory so no one got mad at me), and picked someone to marry!

Went with Elliott. It was a tossup between him and Leah. He seemed super excited to move onto the farm and start a new adventure together. :3: It was very sweet. Though I admit most of the marriageable people did a good job of endearing themselves to me during the whole process. Not saying I would marry all of them, but the heart events were all pretty good and wholesome. This is the first time I've really gone into the social aspect. Previously I've just ignored everyone in town and lived alone on my farm with my piles of money and only my animals for company.

Quick question also while I'm here! I got stupidly lucky with Galaxy Soul drops and I am now in possession of a fresh and shiny Infinity Blade! The wiki says it's supposed to have +2 defense but mine doesn't say that. It has the speed boosts I gave it from forging and +10 crit chance. I think I'd prefer the extra defense... Did I bork something?

EDIT: I answered my own question. It's a SVE thing. I am so torn on SVE. I like all the neat stuff it adds but sometimes (okay a lot of the time...) it does something that really annoys me. If you could keep only the mechanical additions and tell all their precious OCs where to shove it, the mod would be about 1000% better.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 3, 2021

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

If you have the Napalm ring and kill a mummy, does the corpse immediately explode? I don't have a Napalm ring yet so I can't test it myself. Trying to decide if Bug Killer or Crusader is a better weapon enchantment.

Also I don't know if anyone actually plays the SVE mod here but I encountered something annoying and puzzling. There's a couple fish you're supposed to be able to catch in the "Crimson Badlands", but I couldn't find a single body of water in that place I could actually fish in. My rod just bounced off everything as if I had cast it on land accidentally. Anybody know what's up with that? Normally I wouldn't care but I did want to get the fishing achievement this time around.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Poque posted:

The answer is: If you kill a mummy while wearing the napalm ring, they will collapse in a heap but will explode out around them. A mummy's own explosion can't kill itself when it's down, but if you kill a bunch of mummies all at once, a bunch of their explosions will take each other out.

Hey, thanks for that! That was super nice of you. :) I think I'll keep Crusader, in that case. I just tear through mummies and their ilk like nobody's business with that, and while it's annoying not being able to kill the armored bugs, they're not much of a threat.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Whenever I need to find the Prismatic Jelly, I take it as an excuse to stock up on coal too. I usually find it without too much bother while I'm killing Soot Sprites, and I always need more coal.

In my beach farm, it's winter 2, I have full hearts with everyone, I have only 2 fish left to catch, and I just finished the last monster slaying goal. We're doing it! We're making it happen! Just need to make a bunch of money for the last Obelisks and the Golden Clock.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

mactheknife posted:

Started playing this again last night but I was drunk so I don't remember what I did and whatever it was was probably stupid. Stardew Valley!

I'd imagine you ate all your parsnips and passed out in the mines. Linus found you face down in the mud getting chewed on by Slimes. When you boot up the game again, you'll find yourself dirt poor with your pockets stuffed with rocks and slime with no memory of what happened.

Stardew Valley!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

He also says in the comments it won't cost more than Stardew.

Oh, well in that case I'll just buy it day 1. Stardew doesn't get discounted very often and is already quite cheap.

I'm :stoked: More from Concerned Ape is a treat.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I just "finished" my latest farm! I got 100% Perfection for the first time ever and built Pam and Penny a house. My farm still looks like an undeveloped mess because decorations are for the weak. I'm calling that farm done. The only thing I'd maybe want to do is fill a coop with golden chickens as a weird flex, but eh I think I'm good.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Demetrius calls you stupid and thinks less of you if you try to explain to him that tomatoes are in fact vegetables, despite calling on you to settle the matter as an authority.

Funnily enough, when I got that scene I answered that tomatoes are fruit. He specifically asks how you would classify tomatoes. And tomatoes are classified as fruit. "Vegetable" is not a scientific classification. It's a culinary term. (Note I am not saying that describing them in culinary terms is any less valid here). If he'd said what would you "call" a tomato, or how would you "categorize" it, I'd answer they're vegetables and the game agrees with me. Tomatoes get turned into juice and pickles, not wine or jam.

Also as someone very close to an autistic person, I 100% read that as a conflict between someone on the spectrum and an NT. No question.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

i get the chainsaw but why would a chicken coop guardian, even a 50 ft one, need gatling guns

Look man, have you SEEN the size of the owls in this game?

Alternatively, for shooting witches.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Zesty posted:

Anyone have experience with Stardew Valley Expanded? We have 2 experienced players and 2 new-ish players looking to do a multiplayer playthrough that's new and fun for everyone.

I just finished a 100% perfection run on SVE. Overall, I like the mechanical stuff it adds, a lot. Most of the rest of it annoyed the crap out of me.

To get the most out of it I would suggest not trying for 100% perfection with SVE, that way you can ignore their stupid OCs and the extra unnecessary crap it adds and just enjoy the mechanical benefits.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Poil posted:

The automate mod is just :stwoon:

Does it make a chest auto harvest tea leaves or batteries along a line by any chance?

It definitely does tea leaves. I put a chest and a keg in my "pot basement" (tea trees in Garden Pots), and the chest would automatically pluck the leaves and shove them into the keg for making into tea.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Poil posted:

Great, it's even better than I thought. That means I can cluster my rods behind the barn and coop and not worry that I can't reach all of them. And gathering from long hedges will be a breeze. I had a ton of trash before I got my recycler and it just happily chugged through the whole lot with no need for me to run back and forth over days.

Oh if you really want to go down the Automate rabbit hole... try putting a chest next to some crab pots. And then put a Recycling Machine next to the chest... maybe a Charcoal Kiln or a Furnace if you're feeling really feisty. Easiest place to do this is on a dock or a bridge, but be careful of NPC pathing. Look up what spots they won't walk through and wreck your stuff.

From there you can daisy chain crab pots up and down a body of water... and if you want to get really sassy, have a look at the config file for Automate. It designates some paths as being "connectors," meaning if you lay them down adjacent to a chest, they connect the chest to the thing you want to automate. You can use this trick to line the whole dang beach with crab pots and automatically process all the trash into useful materials.

I had the beach farm so I did the same with the docks to the south and the southern shore. I just checked 'em once a week or so. Easy money between the lobsters and crabs, sashimi, cloth, etc. and plus the extra coal, ore, and refined quartz was always nice.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

LLSix posted:

What do people name their farm(s)? I usually use place names from my forum game (Aestia and Luxing so far in RF4) or something really clear for multiplayer games so I don't forget which save goes with which people.

My favorite chicken name I've come up with so far has been Nog, as in egg nog.

Sex Farm. Every time.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Pththya-lyi posted:

Shame on you both for your shocking ignorance of the greatest mockumentary to date

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib9Jz9iydeQ

Yep, I sing that while I'm tending the livestock, and I giggle the whole time because I am literally 12 and very easily amused.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I just adopted monsters I thought looked cute... :ohdear:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

So the automate mod works with Junimo chests and you can link as many as you want, that's a nice find. Just need to dump crystal fruit in one chest to pump it into multiple big sheds full of kegs, and the wine pops out right back in the chest.

It would be nice if there were more than 9 spaces though. Or multiple sets of Junimo chests to handle other production chains the same way.

I ran into a weird bug with Automate in my latest farm when I tried to use those to get animal products from the Auto-Grabbers. The Auto-Grabbers just straight up stopped giving me product. They were full, but I couldn't interact with them at all. And I couldn't destroy them with a pickaxe or whatnot and re-place them either. I ended up buying a second set of Auto-Grabbers and going back to using them with normal chests, but I never did get any Ostrich Eggs. All the other products came out just fine on the second grabber, but not those. Don't know what caused it and it could have been some weird interaction with one of the million mods I had installed.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is there an efficient way to gather wood in 1.5? Using the deconstructor on jade purchased staircases has cleared the stone bottleneck, but wood is always lacking for kegs and beehives. I try to keep the desert oasis planted with logging trees, clear Cindersap a couple times per season, and grab the hardwood in the secret woods for the chipper when there's time. Wood trash from crab pots also goes into the wood chipper, but even with all of that combined wood is always the limiting factor to filling out keggeries.

Trying to avoid buying from Robin as an insignificant moral victory.

I just ended up buying wood from Robin. It's not terribly expensive and I was rolling in dough thanks to being a keg baron. At that point my time is the more valuable resource.

Eric the Mauve posted:

You can plant two thirds of the beach and mountain with trees and use bombs to harvest all the wood in one minute.

How do you harvest trees with Bombs? I tried it a time or two but even the Mega Bombs wouldn't down the trees in one blast, seemed like.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Yeah at a certain point you just start doing poo poo because it amuses you. Do I need an entire coop full of dinosaurs? No. Do I want an entire coop full of dinosaurs so I can give them all goofy names and pet them? YES.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Is this where I can also ask about Rune Factory? Not the new one, old Rune Factory, 4 specifically.

The new one coming out made me check on where I had left off in 4, on the 3DS. Apparently the answer is balls deep in some volcano mountain dungeon at nearly sundown, getting bumrushed by a million super aggressive enemies that sponge up all my spells and then KO me back to town. I have no idea what I was doing or where I was going.

I'm tempted to just start over. :( Any general tips for how I can get out of this mess and/or avoid such a situation in the future? I had a water jet laser spell equipped, and a fireball one, the latter of which of course didn't do anything to the enemies in a volcano dungeon. I also had some twin daggers equipped which were doing a decent job?

Help me not suck.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Heroine88 posted:

i need suggestions for themes to my animal names. what better place to ask than here.

I named mine after foods that could be made from either their meat or their products.

So for instance Benedict the chicken and Carnitas the pig. I also had one cow named Malk because I was sick with a cold at the time and I thought it was the height of comedy.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

tinned owl posted:

I installed SDExpanded and it just feels that friendships decay so much quicker, is that a setting or is it just because there's so many more people to try to keep in touch with?

Alternatively, if you're using mods anyway, just install one that eliminates the friendship decay entirely, because it's dumb.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Midnight Voyager posted:

That's one of the ideas I liked, making those side people actual characters. I don't necessarily want to bang any of them, but it's weird that Marlon only ever comes out around festivals and Gunther's glued to his desk.

The execution was just lacking, and I could REALLY do without the weird MAGA guy and the pink haired girl. Yeah, I have anxiety too, I've never dove behind a plant because I saw another human.

That was my take on it too. I liked that it fleshed out the existing characters but I really could have done without their OCs. They didn't add anything to the game, imo.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I don’t want to marry Shane but I do want to be his best friend and i don’t like that upgrading him to marriage candidate means I can’t just bro out with by beer and pizza pal and get him to 10 hearts without loving him.

Like many things, there are mods for that!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

As he should be

Clint's canon pairing is with his right hand.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Yeah as much as I love to see Clint miserable, I was never tempted to marry Emily. She's just not my type. Now Leah or Abigail? Yes, would marry.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Mega64 posted:

In case you have friends or family who own a Switch and still have somehow never tried Stardew Valley.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1536408067876835330

Switch version is also on sale right now!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Omnicarus posted:

My favorite map is the forest map. What is every else's favorite map?

Unmodded, forest map. If I have access to mods I fell in love with the beach map (with the "sprinklers can go on sand" mod). There's so much room for stuff and it's really convenient to be able to catch ocean fish without going all the way down to the beach. Plus I married Elliot in that run and I feel like he was right at home.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Poque posted:

Update: I forgot golden chickens exist and am wondering if I hate myself enough to go for perfection on this file.

Only map I haven't ever tried now is the hilltop farm - seems like it could be neat but I'm not really sure what style of farm would work best there. It's pretty short on room even though it looks lovely. I'm doing Wilderness right now and it's pretty cool but it also feels a little short on space, but I'll be able to be creative with layout for coop and barn placement.

I have gotten Perfection, and with SVE and a bunch of other mods on so I had even more people to get full hearts with and more fish to catch.

Worth. Would definitely not do again but it was a fun ride. Only got frustrating near the finish line because there is a fish in SVE that only spawns after an event triggers, and that event only happens in fall, and I missed being able to trigger it for like a week so I had to wait a whole 'nother dang year in game to catch al the fish.

Anyway point is get those golden chickens! You know you wanna.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

But where are the villagers getting the money to spend on my aged lava eel roe and void mayonnaise? I'm rich, but I inherited a massive amount of apparently infinitely fertile land. Meanwhile, Mayor Lewis can barely afford to send me 500 gold from the town agricultural fund.

Serious answer: I figured the farm's products were getting shipped out of Pelican Town to the greater Stardew Valley, and even beyond. The expensive stuff, anyway. The town isn't a big enough market for the sheer amount of product the farm pumps out, but those tourists who visit during the Harvest Fair? Now there's a market.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

My wife, with whom I ran a farm together on the rare occasion, has begun playing her own farm in earnest. I can't play Switch anymore, it's thrilling for someone who never enjoyed playing games in general.

Welp, time to buy your wife her own Switch or you'll never be able to play Switch again! :v: Just wait until she discovers Animal Crossing.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Shout-out again to this game for being nice and chill, and also for being on Switch. It kept me sane on a 14-hour flight I had last week where I couldn't loving sleep for the life of me and didn't have enough brain power to dedicate to anything less chill, but was nonetheless bored out of my goddamn mind. The game on my Switch, and the USB hookup in my seat, were both a godsend. I spent the flight just vibing and shoving stuff into kegs. I'm slowly working my way towards the Golden Clock, which is the last money sink thing I need. Still missing two artifacts (a mask and a weird statue thing?). Maybe I'll go for Perfection, but maybe I won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I did it on Steam and swore I wouldn't do it again, but yeah you're probably right. It probably won't be nearly as bad because on Steam I was running SVE and a bunch of other mods that give you even MORE poo poo you have to do to achieve Perfection. I checked what the rewards are for getting it and in addition to the Golden Chickens, the Statue of True Perfection gives you a Prismatic Shard every day!. :monocle:. Holy moly that's a nice prize!