Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.
OP - thanks for making this thread - this was a really good idea.

I have a question - I am trying to locate any information about bronze commemorative medals struck by the US Mint. What I'm talking about is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-A-Medal...=item4610b2544f

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROBERT-FRAN...=item2a2e04818c

(I'm lazy - it was easier to get the pics from ebay...)

I have all different kinds of these except they are still in the cellophane from the Mint. I got them when I inherited a coin collection from my Grandfather.

What I can see from E-Bay is that they don't sell for much individually - but what I'm most interested to see is if there's a listing somewhere of what medals were struck, and when they were struck, etc. Ultimately I want to see if I can make a set of them, and sell that, or if I actually have a full set, well then that makes them far more interesting to me and perhaps I'll keep them.

Do you know of any official data source that lists this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Prof. Ann Mary Ann posted:

I have a few dozen US coins with some silver content. Is it worth the trouble to sell them on eBay, or is a local coin shop ok? Same question regarding a 1993 American Eagle dollar (it's not a proof). And is there a reason I should hold onto anything instead of selling?

It's up to you. If I were selling, I'd sell them as a lot, to avoid having to pay postage on every quarter you mail out, plus it's just one thing to deal with. But you will get VERY close to spot price, even more if they are in really good condition.

As far as keeping or selling, it's up to you, but I should warn you that coins are an absolutely TERRIBLE investment. On the other hand, I think they are cool and so I am a collector and am doing it for sentimental reasons more than anything else. My collection is probably worth $5,000, and in 20 years it will almost surely underperform compared to putting $5000 in the stock market. My dad passed on some coins that I can sell/trade to complete these collections, as well as putting some of my own money now and then into it. I'm also keeping some of them to pass along so the next collector in the family can do the same thing...

I am working on a complete Morgan and Peace Dollar set, then moving to some other reasonably "do-able" complete collections that he started, like Washington quarters, dimes, etc. There are very few of these coins that aren't available in good condition (good means crappy...) for under $100. I got the collection from my dad, will pass it on to the kid who is least likely to sell it. Kind of a legacy thing.

tl/dr - it's up to you.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Ron Don Volante posted:

Are you going to include the 1893-S Morgan?

I can get an absolutely TERRIBLE one for around $1000. That's borderline "do-able" and the only one that will hold up this multi-year project...

Check this one

I'm actually tempted to save up and do this one early - I have a little more than 40 to go - including 7-8 of the CC varieties. I actually have two of the GSA CC packs from 1882, so will use that extra one to trade/sell for something good. Timing is the issue, but then again it isn't. Since I'm going to stick it back into Morgans, it doesn't really matter because I'm not smart enough to try and time it right... Will likely go to a coin show and see if I can trade and avoid the transaction costs.

quote:

Also, while it's true coins are a bad investment compared to the stock market, they're still a much better holder of value (if not an investment) than pretty much any other thing people collect. If you buy any random assortment of old U.S. coins at market price and wait a few years to sell them, odds are you'll at least get back your original investment. Comic books, Beanie babies, even stamps? Not so much.

Yes, this is entirely correct. It's only a terrible investment when you compare it to a reasonably sure thing like long-term stock market, etc. Like I mentioned the coin show above, there are literally MILLIONS of coin collectors and that makes the market for coins very liquid. A collection will hold its value, and strangely enough, should stocks totally tank, it will likely still be in reasonably good shape.

Also, should an apocalypse occur you will have lots of silver so you probably won't starve...

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

That cent is easily worth several hundred dollars, if not a thousand (or more!) It's in excellent shape and whatever you do, DON'T CLEAN IT!!!!
Without question that is worth getting graded.

The five dollar coin is 1/2 oz, so figure the cost of gold ($1400~) plus a little collectible value (with most gold coins, the collectible value is not a great deal except at the MS65+ (in that area) and up. So probably <$800, give or take.

Edit: oops - 1/4 oz, so given the condition, between $4-500.

Edit#2:

This is a screen shot of the PCGS price guide for that penny. Pretty sure it's not the one worth $25k, didn't see any stars. All the other ones say "head of this, head of that" and I have no clue. I would have guessed that coin at 10-15 condition, so that's why I'm showing this slice. The ones with no numbers are for uncirculated ones, so obviously none at lower grades. Get it professionally graded by PCGS or NGC.

JDM3 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 1, 2013

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

RustedChrome posted:

Thanks for all the info. I'm slowly going through the coins and photographing the ones that seem interesting to me.

If you come across an 1893-s Morgan dollar, those are generally considered bad luck. For that matter, any 1893 silver coin is bad - let me know and I'll be glad to get rid of them for you...

Seriously - get a red book of US Coins for $15. Some crook dealer (they are out there...) could have snookered you on that penny and you'd have been none the wiser.

And no - if you get an 1893-s Morgan, it's your lucky day!

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Jimmy James posted:

I don't buy many American coins, but I bought this one recently because it seemed like a good deal at 32 dollars. I have a long term goal of collecting all of the San Francisco Morgan Dollars. Did I do all right? I'm guessing it depends on whether it's uncirculated or not. I am not sure if the darker area around her ear counts as wear or not.

Looks like I didn't get all the red from the light out in the right picture. oops.

I'd call it uncirculated. I'd definitely list it as such on eBay (w/pic) and not feel the least bit guilty - that's my litmus test. Now as to the numbers from 60-65, that's beyond my pay grade. I generally avoid professionally graded coins because you're always paying for that, and also because my collection is more for fun than about money.

$32 for an uncirculated Morgan seems good to me. Haven't checked silver spot in awhile, but provided its still around $20, that's not bad at all.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Maybe it's just me not being fully awake yet, but I find it really amusing that currency itself is subject to capital gains tax.

It's a special case really - it's no longer currency once it's sold for more than face value, it's transformed by the invisible hand into a "collectable".

Which then makes me wonder if there is some way that a HUGE user of postage could take advantage of the fact that old stamps are routinely sold at some discount of face value because of the bother in dealing with thousands of 6 cent (and every other possible denomination) stamps. ( I mean from a tax standpoint...)

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I have one of these: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/1986-american-eagle-50-gold-coin that would be considered mint condition... It's the year I was born so it was a gift to my parents and is in a little plastic sealed view box. Is it really worth that much? I was going to mount it in a belt buckle, my dad has a buckle with a silver dollar from his birth year and I always liked it. Obviously it's not safe to do that if it's worth more than $1000, I assumed it had some value because gold prices are fairly high but thats pretty crazy.

Provided it's not a replica it is worth that much money, and would be really stupid to put on a belt buckle. If you'd like a fancy coin buckle, find a gold plated morgan dollar for $30 and use that instead.

Edit: Morgans are dated from 1878-1921, so your birthdate is out. Get a gold plated silver American eagle (or use a silver one) for $30-40 if it's all about the date.

JDM3 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 11, 2013

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

What's the highest denomination that's still "legal"? How hard is it to get a $500 or $1000 dollar bill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Meydey posted:

Cool. I wish I had the foresight to order a few extra 1999 sets, oh well.

As a side note, last year I found out that my 80 yr old father-in-law had some silver dollars in his closet.
I now officially have dibs on them, along with his table saw, lathe, and 50-year woodworker tool collection.

That's a very sneaky way to get a coin collection...

But very effective for the long term.

• Locked thread