Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I am hoping that someone might have an idea where to look about these.

I have a pair of slightly over half ounce 28 kt gold medallions (over one ounce total from both) from the USSR commemorating the Luna-9 space missions. I will post a picture tomorrow but I am wondering how difficult it will likely be to find any info about them. I have brought them to a couple coin places and they were really interested in buying them but also said they had no idea about their worth etc. so were offering scrap price...

I am thinking that they must have some value beyond scrap to someone interested in space poo poo but maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Shere posted:

I've only just started this coin thing but in my searching I can say that the 'problem' with gold stuff is that gold has shot up so much in value that except in extreme outlier cases most of it doesn't have collectible value that exceeds the melt value. Unfortunately I don't know where you could start with those, but pictures might help match them up to something online.

Sorry I meant to say that I will post some pictures tomorrow. They are locked in a safe deposit box so I have to make a trip out.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Ron Don Volante posted:

It isn't this one, is it? Also, 24 kt is the maximum purity for gold so 28kt is impossible. The info on Soviet commemoratives is a bit patchy but hopefully we can find some more info when you post those pictures.

It is that one!

I found the message thread that links to that image
https://forums.collectors.com/messagepost.cfm?postaction=reply&catid=6&threadid=766102&messid=8821571&STARTPAGE=1&ezquote=y&parentid=8821571

I am not sure that they are 10g or have the markings that his has. I will bring a digital scale to weigh them later.

EDIT: I just zoomed in and see that it says 900 / 17 so I assume them to be 17 grams which is in line with my memory. So I have a much better idea of melt value now the only question would be any value beyond that which judging from that forums post is more of a wait and see than yes there is value today.

Just to confirm .900 gold means 90% so I should treat total weight in gold as 34 grams -3.4?

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 3, 2013

• Locked thread