Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

You hit a gravity bong in a sink at McDonald’s? Was it in the bathroom or you working there?

It was at a house party and we went to a nearby McDonald’s right after lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/pitchfork/status/1756864947558998235?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

So spring is gonna be loaded:

March 8th: Ariana, Bleachers
March 15th: Kacey, Justin Timberlake
March 22nd: Tyla, Fletcher, Empress Of
March 29th: Countryonce
April 5th: Conan Grey
April 12th: Girl in Red, Maggie Rogers (World Lesbian Day apparently)
April 19th: Tortured Poets Society

Plus new singles from Charli and Dua dropping incredibly soon, a Lil Nas X/Kesha collab, and Lorde hypothetically with something coming soonish

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 12, 2024

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Two singles are out but only on tidal

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Two singles are out but only on tidal

Explains why it took people so long to find them

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
God drat the new Beyonce songs are amazing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g92AYBlNOi0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fV37wdHG8U

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I normally never touch Country with a 10 foot pole but loving hell Beyonce is so loving good in these songs.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Ari bringing out the big guns

https://x.com/popcrave/status/1757800570683900261?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I wonder if even Mimi has the power to salvage that.....

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Some Hayley Williams solo work transcends pop. It doesn't really fit any genre I know of any better. But it's not really intended to get a chart single and she works with a lot of session musicians and indie rockers. The lyrics seem meant to be at least a little bit poignant instead of just catchy. That's neither a good or bad thing I'm not pretentious it's just really noticeable. It's like cross-over music in the opposite direction to what typically happens.

Also, the ending riff on Lana's The Greatest hits different

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

TurnipFritter posted:

I wonder if even Mimi has the power to salvage that.....

I listened to it. The remix sucks lmao

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Caroline Polachek released a deluxe edition of Desire on Wednesday, with several new songs, a cover, a version of Butterfly Net with Weyes Blood and an acoustic version of I Believe. Needless to say, the new stuff is very good and I love a reminder to go back and listen to the whole album again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJRw1MN04hs

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 16, 2024

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"Coma" is definitely the highlight for me. The acoustic arrangement on "I Believe" is really gorgeous too.

None of them make me wish they had been on the album, but they are worthwhile for sure. Really just highlights how perfect the album was.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Tired Moritz posted:

I listened to it. The remix sucks lmao

I like the original just fine but the remix is just terrible, it’s mostly Mariah’s singing laid directly on top of Ari’s and the styles are really incongruous so it just sounds so bad and lazy

Edit: in less disappointing news, Chappell killed it on Colbert. (She also posted a pic of her taping a Tiny Desk so look forward to that, 2024 is gonna be her year for sure)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOg93THAyE0

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 16, 2024

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I've just seen Taylor is releasing another version of her album with a different bonus track to buy, which is just an extremely good way of squeezing money out of idiots (I'm idiots).

So uh if you've got "The Manuscript" and now want "The Bolter" get it while it's good!

There's also cassette versions. Do people really want cassettes? Who is out there going "ah yes user experience and audio quality really peaked 40 years ago, I want in"?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I don't know if anyone actually listens to cassettes the same way they do vinyl, but the appeal is mostly the same. It's just another fun physical way to collect things.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

BonoMan posted:

I don't know if anyone actually listens to cassettes the same way they do vinyl, but the appeal is mostly the same. It's just another fun physical way to collect things.

There's a company out there that makes records out of precious metals. So far you can only get "Jumper" by Third Eye Blind silver-plated for $450, gold-plated for $800, and solid gold for a price you have to enquire about but the market rate for that amount of gold is over $16,000 wholesale.

One song. Less than four minutes. Third. Eye. Blind.

There seems to be an entire company of several employees just coasting by selling silver and gold copies of Jumper for several hundreds and and tens of thousands of dollars. There's apparently a market out there big enough to support the enterprise.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wow, they didn't even use the album version...

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bright Bart posted:

There's a company out there that makes records out of precious metals. So far you can only get "Jumper" by Third Eye Blind silver-plated for $450, gold-plated for $800, and solid gold for a price you have to enquire about but the market rate for that amount of gold is over $16,000 wholesale.

One song. Less than four minutes. Third. Eye. Blind.

There seems to be an entire company of several employees just coasting by selling silver and gold copies of Jumper for several hundreds and and tens of thousands of dollars. There's apparently a market out there big enough to support the enterprise.

That is ... bizarre. And even more bizarre that just yesterday I randomly stumbled on a live performance of Jumper on GMA just last month. (maybe there's a tie in there?)

Boy it did not sound good. He just doesn't have his voice anymore.

But also I listened to that album not too long ago and it still bangs. One of my favorite quintessential "90s" albums. Like 80% really good songs.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
That first Third Eye Blind album is extremely good. Banger after banger. I will happily listen to that album every now and then until I'm in the ground.

The second album, Blue, has its moments and is better than people gave it credit for, but doesn't come anywhere near the first.

Everything after that has been deeply, deeply regrettable.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I will forever respect TEB for that news story from 2016 where they happened to be playing a couple shows in Cleveland around the same area as the Republican National Convention and upset all the RNC staffers there by saying they believed in gay rights and racial equality in between songs.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

BonoMan posted:

I don't think I'll ever get this, but whatever floats someone's boat I guess. I like having physical copies of media, but only if the quality is actually good and there's actually a potential use for it. A good-condition vinyl has potentially better audio fidelity than digital (even though in many cases that's purely theoretical at best, and perhaps also inaudible, especially with most stuff being digitally mastered to begin with). And I suppose you can also use it for other fun stuff like scratching. Plus the nice big cover art and liner notes. But cassettes are just... worse in every way. Smaller, noticeably worse-sounding, and even more prone to degradation.

I have had to stop buying vinyl lately because nobody seems to include digital downloads anymore, which sucks. No matter how fun vinyl is, I still need a version I can actually listen to the other 95% of the time.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sir Lemming posted:

I don't think I'll ever get this, but whatever floats someone's boat I guess. I like having physical copies of media, but only if the quality is actually good and there's actually a potential use for it. A good-condition vinyl has potentially better audio fidelity than digital (even though in many cases that's purely theoretical at best, and perhaps also inaudible, especially with most stuff being digitally mastered to begin with). And I suppose you can also use it for other fun stuff like scratching. Plus the nice big cover art and liner notes. But cassettes are just... worse in every way. Smaller, noticeably worse-sounding, and even more prone to degradation.

I have had to stop buying vinyl lately because nobody seems to include digital downloads anymore, which sucks. No matter how fun vinyl is, I still need a version I can actually listen to the other 95% of the time.

in the end we're all just really magpies

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I will forever respect TEB for that news story from 2016 where they happened to be playing a couple shows in Cleveland around the same area as the Republican National Convention and upset all the RNC staffers there by saying they believed in gay rights and racial equality in between songs.

They played a NYE event in DC back in 2009 that I went to. They went on a tirade about Bush sucking and got booed by lanyards. One of the weirder moments in my life.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Steven Jenkins has always been that way, he’s smart but also really abrasive. You gotta be smart to make a song about doing crystal meth so happy that Disney uses it to advertise a Tigger movie

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sir Lemming posted:

Cassettes sound great. Most people remember listening to cassettes on Walkmans with disposable-grade headphones or the built in tape deck in a 92 Tercel, but that’s not the mediums fault.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Can confirm, I have a few cassettes and on a good player they sound great. Now no-one who's buying a Taylor Swift album on cassette is going to be listening to it on a good player though they're going to listen on a lovely cheap Walkman knockoff they got off Amazon for $20. They're probably not going to be on good tapes either, since I don't think you can get Chrome or Metal tapes any more.

Now Minidisc, that's a real sweet spot if you want nostalgia bucks while also something that'll probably sound good on any player.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 17, 2024

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Sir Lemming posted:

Step 1: Disposable email

Step 2: Tidal free trial

Step 3: Tidal-dl

It's not unethical if you already own a physical copy.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

People selling cassettes in 2024 to me screams “vinyl’s resurgent popularity is good business for basically everyone but the supply chain for it is currently hosed upside down and sideways so we need something we can produce cheaply that still has the same air of analog nostalgia”

At this point if she wants to support smaller artists with her power like she’s occasionally motioned towards in the past, Taylor should build a vinyl production facility that makes records just for her, Adele and Harry Styles.

Edit: also after Victoria Monet finally got her flowers I think this should be a year for all the underappreciated R&B ladies to get massive. Starting with Kehlani and Tinashe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IJjriRrOKg

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Bouncin would have been a smash hit if such a thing as justice existed in this awful world......

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://youtu.be/Q9HR1oka5vQ?si=o97o7F2muM-iaoLi

Katherine Li dropped an album on Valentines full of these longing-filled songs and they’re all pretty good

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Looks like someone finally got the… Motivation to make an album

https://x.com/popbase/status/1760378986658673143?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Translates too easily to "Flopamine," the pop culture memelords will bury this one.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Man Motivation came out before Covid.....

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I’m still waiting on Florrie’s debut album.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

Translates too easily to "Flopamine," the pop culture memelords will bury this one.

I’m sure whoever is running Normani’s fan account will be able to counter that

https://x.com/labuenodoubt/status/1760091546010189999?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

edit: I kid but motivation is still a perfect song/video

https://youtu.be/FKXSh14svlQ?si=Z0NoK20ulmJ5ZMgn

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 21, 2024

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Who?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I had the same immediate reaction before remembering she did a decent song with Sam Smith a while back. She was one of the Fifth Harmony girls, which is a group I still believe never actually existed because I never heard anyone say the name Fifth Harmony until after the group was dead.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Good fortunes if you never had to hear Worth It played approx. every 5 minutes in the year 2015.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Good fortunes if you never had to hear Worth It played approx. every 5 minutes in the year 2015.

Oh I did but I never knew who sang it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm going to bat for Sledgehammer from them.