Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Call the Shots, pop single perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

-Inu- posted:

I'm out of town so I haven't had a chance to listen to either song through proper monitors yet, but my first impression using lovely earbuds is that I like the Katy Perry song better. The production on Applause sounds incredibly generic and I'm not really a fan of Gaga's voice. The synths don't really don't mesh well with the Madeon-esque drums that DJ White Shadow employed (I couldn't find any credits to Madeon so I assume he wasn't involved with this song). Roar isn't super amazing or anything but I'm a big fan of Katy's voice and it's catchy enough. Also the lyric video is really cool.

The Katy Perry song is alright but it's pretty much the textbook definition of generic. Lady Gaga at least attempts to be musically interesting.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Looks like Roar will have the slight edge on the charts. It will be quite close to begin with.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

http://kworb.net/ww/

Check that for worldwide total iTunes charts.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah I can't believe that Lorde is in the US top 10, that's really amazing. I honestly don't know the last time a New Zealander made the top 10 as a solo artist. Also it's no surprise I guess but Roar really is a boring and mediocre song to be such a big hit.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I'm sure you must have all heard Work Bitch by now the new Britney song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g58N_wKk3Bg&t=234s

I find it very amusing and I enjoy it. I think it's a good song but I can't really tell. I just love they way she rhymes fancy with mansion, and then France for some reason. Brilliant.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Gold teeth is just one thing in a long list of examples of big-money excess. It fits in with other things listed, such as Cristal and Maybach which are also heavily associated with hip-hop culture. But then ball gowns, bloodstains are also included, and things which can be taken in a more general way like islands and diamonds. I've not seen a huge number of rappers wearing ball gowns lately but there you go. She's targeting glitz and wealth in pop music in general which obviously includes hip hop music as that is a big part of the music scene today.

Even if the song was blatantly about rappers and the hip hop music scene I don't see why it would necessarily be distasteful or vaguely racist as there are a lot of potential criticisms you could fairly target at the industry which have absolutely nothing to do with race. As it is I don't see anything at all which suggests there is anything distasteful about the song's lyrics.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

het posted:

Like I said, they're actual things that wealthy people own, even if hip hop has latched onto those in particular as symbols of wealth.

So you agree with me then? They are symbolic of hip hop culture's display of wealth. Just because they are actually things that other wealthy people may own doesn't change that.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

het posted:

I think you're missing the part where I think it's kind of gross to specifically be targeting hip hop, and how she could have just left off "gold teeth" and it would just be about generic celebrity excess. You don't have a problem with targeting rappers, I get it. I think it's unpleasant and a little tonedeaf.

I also don't think she is specifically targeting rappers. As I said i haven't seen many wearing ball gowns. I'm a big fan of hip hop but I also fail to see how critiquing the excesses of hip hop is in any way unpleasant. It can be a valid commentary. Oh well, some people are determined to find offense where there isn't any, I get that.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

het posted:

Again, the fundamental issue is punching up versus punching down. I'm saying that citing "gold teeth" is crass because it's not exclusive to rich people and has a specific racial minority component that none of the other aspects mentioned has (post-release White Girl Grills aside). It's a lame dad complaint. For that matter, so is the "I'm tired of being told to put my hands in the air" thing. I'm half-expecting her next song to be complaining about how dubstep is "just noise" and "isn't even music" (NOTE: this is a joke. Also, I strongly advise against googling "lorde dubstep", yikes)

Fine. I really don't think that was her intention though. You did seem to be implying that any critique against hip-hop would inherently hold a racial connotation which I don't think is necessarily true. Also, I think her message is not really about the crassness or evils of wealth. And it's not necessarily entirely derisive in tone. It's more about the shallowness and irrelevance to her and her friends of the symbols used to display wealth in popular music, and their lack of aspirational worth to real young people.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Alvarez IV posted:

You have guys like 2 Chainz and ASAP Rocky who only ever work with other rappers or Rihanna, and they get nowhere near the airplay on pop stations as they do on hip-hop ones.

Although 2 Chaniz was on the latest Jason Derulo single.

I too am hoping Work Bitch does well. I'm sure nobody really thought Britney would still be going strong in 2013 but here we are, good luck to her.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

somnambulist posted:

Britney teaching the lessers how to make a pop video.

Yeah that's awesome. She looks incredible, and that video actually makes the song better.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

mogran posted:

With her album's worldwide success I say the switch from Disney sweetheart to whatever she is now was executed rather perfectly.

It's just come out hasn't it? I can't find any sales figures yet. Also "Bangerz" is the worst album title i've ever heard.

e: well it is doing well on iTunes

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 9, 2013

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

I haven't listened to it, but the main criticism I've heard from people I know who have and who like pop music is that it's just not very good music.

Well I think it's pretty good.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Lord Krangdar posted:

Why?

(and why must Lorde be Lana's protegée?)

She's not at all, Lana del Rey was even one of the artists Lorde mentioned as being lyrically irrelevant, part of which inspired her own lyrics.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

"I think" in an entirely subjective way; as in "I think" they are better lyricists and release better music.

"Protegée" according to the media that constantly compare the two, as I posted earlier. I am not sure what she actually thinks about her (apparently Drake and Nicki Minaj are more important), other than that she was clearly listening to her.

"Protege" implies that they actually know each other and studied and worked together so it's not a very good word to use.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

PUGGERNAUT posted:

But hey at least Lorde got nominated for every drat thing they did.

Deservedly so I think. It was pretty obvious that she was going to get some nominations anyway. But hey at least Miley Cyrus didn't get anything.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I dunno, I think the singles are all truly great but somehow the other songs don't do it for me? Weird.

Also after whateverthefuck Beyonce has, out of the blue, only put a new album on iTunes without any promo or plane trip or other dumb stuff like that.

Umm…

I think it's awesome. No months of hype, no messing around, just here's a new album, surprise! Brilliant move. And apparently there are music videos for all the songs on it too. You have to admire such a brave move like this.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

fuseshock posted:

This is pretty funny. Oh Katy... her actual voice isn't too awful.

http://gawker.com/lip-sync-malfunction-forces-katy-perry-to-use-her-own-v-1485152636

I think it's very awful. Her performance on the UK X-factor final a day after that was horrendous also. At least she was singing live.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Spiteski posted:

I found this far too funny not to share.

But in other news, I am about to go see our(nz) own double Grammy winner live tonight. I'll let you know how it is, though I am confident the festival is going to be amazing whether she smashes it out the park or not. Chvrches, Doprah, HAIM, Lorde, Cat Power. Absolutely killer lineup.

Wasn't all that already on Monday? It's just Lorde's own concert tonight I thought.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Spiteski posted:

:aaa:

So what the crap am I going to tonight?

Just Lorde herself I believe. There might be an opening act i'm not sure.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Yeah, good lord they really brought the show down.

Gosh there's a wrong opinion if ever I saw one. Bruno did a really good job though. RHCP should have done one more song, or made it a 2 song medley.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Why were the Chili Peppers only around for like half a song? The way it was announced, I thought they were going to be given equal time, but most of the time was spent on Bruno. I mean, I was okay with that because Bruno killed it, but yeah, why were they even there at all if that's all they were going to do? It was like Bruno Mars ft. The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

The way it was announced was that Bruno Mars would be doing it. Then later on it was announced that RHCP would be joining him just because he personally invited them. So it was always going to be a cameo appearance. He just likes them and wanted them there.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

het posted:

They look like young people wearing clothes.

Different clothes have different styles.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I think Jessie J suffers from singing "big" just because she can, not because it makes a good song and it comes off as too much and way too screechy. She's obviously got pipes but man Bang Bang is awful and Burning Up is almost unbearable.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Gwen Stefani is an ageless wizard

Seriously, she looks the same as she did in 1995. Which is to say fantastic.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

Ed Sheeran won a Grammy for Song of the Year.

Y'know, in case you didn't already know that they were kinda dumb.

I've heard some people like Ed Sheeran

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Really good summary of the situation, thanks for that.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

axeil posted:

additionally, i think it's absolutely insane that sony offered an 18 year old an eight album deal. there are artists out there whose entire collection doesn't even span 8 albums. to put it in pop music context, britney spears released her 8th album in 2013. that's about 14 years from first to last album, and she's arguably a much more prominent artist than kesha is.

I think that's fairly standard practice isn't it? If an artist turns out to be successful you want to lock them down long term.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ghost emoji posted:

Heartthrob was such a slept on album. I Was A Fool is probably one of my top 10 pop songs of the decade.

Agreed. It's a perfect song

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Focus is one of the worst major singles in years, it's a thoroughly terrible, thoroughly obvious attempt at remaking Problem, but much worse in every single way. Recipe for success right there

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I'm not really into Bruno mars but his new song Versace on the floor is a slice of 90s ballad perfection.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Katy Perry is over 30. Usually, female pop stars are expected to have moved on from bubblegum music and started making "serious" music by the time they hit 30 so they can take advantage of fans getting older etc. Cf. Madonna starting off with "Like a Virgin" then arriving at "Like a Prayer" etc. around the time she turned 30. Taylor Swift's an odd case because she's done it a bit in reverse.

I imagine that's why CRJ never really got a shot after "Call Me Maybe" - she was already in her late 20s by the time that song was a hit so as far as the industry was concerned, she was too old and there's nothing left to be done with her. It's a shame, because a major label could have made itself a lot of money with her if they'd kept her on and supported her.

It's very unfair but it's the way it's always been. Pop music has always been cut-throat like that. That's how Whitney Houston got big - Clive Davis picked her out and built her from the ground up after Phyllis Hyman made it clear she wasn't going to conform to the image he wanted her to adopt. Or all the stuff about Diana Ross getting the big solo push out of the Supremes more because Berry Gordy thought she was the most marketable rather than her being innately more talented than Mary Wilson or Florence Ballard.

Anyway, I don't think Katy Perry is a very good singer so I don't really listen to her music very much.

CRJ was 26 when Call me maybe was a hit, Madonna was 26 when Like a Virgin came out. your theory has holes in it

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Melodrama is fantastic album full of layers and depth, every song on it is good and Lorde is fully deserving of any sweetheart status

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I've always been a Katy Perry hater.

You'll enjoy the 92% sales/streaming plummet for the second week of witness then

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

somnambulist posted:

Not to mention she bundled the album with tickets to her tour and STILL pulled horrendous numbers for someone that just finished an era with several #1 records. Complete and utter flop. It will probably be out of the BB200 next week which is just CRAZY for Katy loving Perry.

Yeah I don't take any joy in her failure but it is interesting. Total lack of a hit single, the album was just bad, promoting it by desperately talking up the Taylor "feud" and the weekend long live stream, promising it to be meaningful and political music compared to what it actually turned out to be... the perfect storm of failure

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Deformed Church posted:

This release is confusing me.

Is my situation way more specific than I think? Is there a distribution channel I'm missing? Is this just a weirdly limited release?

Well it's hard to call an album that could well sell 2 million copies in one week a limited release but yes it's very unusual to be pushing the physical format so hard like this. It will be on streaming sometime in the coming weeks though

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Tove Lo's Blue Lips is out today

I like it though I enjoyed the brighter catchier stuff she's done before. romantics I think is a highlight from the new one

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Spiteski posted:

Me and the wife went to go buy this alongside Rainbow, as every christmas we buy "each other" a couple CDs for us to blast in the car 24/7.
Not a single store we went to held it, one had had a single copy and sold it the week previous.
What the gently caress New Zealand. Stop phaffing over Lorde and Six60 and sell me my music.

At least they had Rainbow, and we grabbed Lumineers' latest album so it wasn't a total wash. But Ladywood will sit in the CD changer alone for another couple months.

As far as i can tell Blue Lips hasn't had actually had a CD release anywhere in the world, I can't find anywhere on the whole internet that I could order it so the store that had one copy is a bit of a mystery

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I listened to Camila Cabello's album and it's decent but doesn't really stand out. The first 4 tracks are the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Grimes, or Emma Roberts