Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

het posted:

That seems pretty deliberate, I don't think it's necessarily trying to deceive or anything.

That might well be. For some reason it's impossible to find any writing credits for this album at all online. Could all be credited and above board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Sprat Sandwich posted:

ASCAP credits Chris Stein and Debbie Harry on 'Colours' so it's all legit.

Also that Kate Bush residency started and it's probably a life-changing experience and I'm so loving mad and also so happy for everyone attending that thing.

Ugh, should have thought myself about checking ASCAP or BMI. Thanks!

I'll get to see Kate Bush in about four weeks, and I can't wait. I skimmed the setlist, which was a good idea, 'cause it gives me the opportunity to give An Endless Sky Of Honey a few listens. I admit that Aerial (the second half in particular) is probably the album of hers I'm least familiar with. For some reason I even found 50 Words For Snow to be more accessible.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Athletic Footjob posted:

I thought her first album blew. It blew even more after knowing how good a popstar she could be with Electra Heart. Zany and unfocused with pointless vocal gymnastics.

What? Are we talking about the album which has "I Am Not A Robot", "Mowgli's Road" and "Oh No!" on it? We can't be!

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

juniperjones posted:

Plus her VOICE. And the loving album was recorded LIVE. That's insane. Who does that!? Who even could?

Sure.

I mean come on. That's PR bullshit. It's exactly the kind of story they love to place in the media to show how unbelievably CREDIBLE an artist is. The thing about pop music I like is that there's usually no pretense about the fact that it's a studio product. And this is the opposite of that. I can't roll my eyes far enough.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

ZakAce posted:

To be fair, IIRC, Azealia had to put up with a lot of label-related fuckery, which is why BWET took so darn long to come out. If she could have released BWET earlier, she would have - hence the short amount of time between leaving Interscope and releasing the album.

If I remember correctly, the label had to put up with a lot of Azealia-related fuckery. Seriously, she would collaborate with another artist or a producer and then slag them off on Twitter like five minutes later. I'm not surprised that it took ages until they had enough material and deals with all people involved in place.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I really wish Robbie Williams's career would've taken off more in the US, his last couple albums were really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3OWZaIpEDk

Go Gentle is so, so good. Guy Chambers & Robbie Williams are a really good songwriting team.
The thing with Robbie Williams is that he's actually goddamn consistent. Even the much maligned Rudebox oozes personality. I couldn't tell you my favorite of his songs simply because there are so many good ones.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 12, 2014

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Little Boots has a new EP coming out in December and has also released a new video for a new song is called 'Taste It' and it's pretty weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWn9JN4gSsk

Pretty cool video, but wasn't there a time when Little Boots would write, like, real melodies that were super catchy? I like the instrumental well enough, but vocally it has nothing to offer.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

het posted:

Yeah, I kinda agree, even with Nocturnes, which I didn't like as much as her first album, still had a number of these. Hoping this isn't representative of the new EP

The Business Pleasure EP is now on Spotify (at least in Germany, I think UK/US follow tomorrow), and while the other songs are certainly more melodic and the production is good throughout, after the first listen nothing jumped out at me. Since it's stylistically even further from Hands than Nocturnes, I guess it's a fully intentional decision not to be "pop" in an obvious way. I can respect that, but I'd just really like a new Meddle or Mathematics or Remedy or Stuck on Repeat :(. To this day I'm really impressed with how great Hands is. Not one bad track.

Never head that one before, but the verses are such an unholy mix of Tom Jones' Delilah and Besame Mucho that I hope the band got sued by SOMEONE for that.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 1, 2014

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Yeah Canon in D is a pretty cool song

Neither of these songs has the chord progression from Canon in D.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
So, Madonna just OFFICIALLY released six songs from her new album on iTunes.

Cool cover art as well:

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 20, 2014

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I don't think this is very good.

The cover art or the songs themselves? If it's the cover, we'll just have to agree to disagree, 'cause this one looks more interesting than the MDNA covers, and about ten times better than that desperate Hard Candy cover.
The songs themselves are a mixed bag. Actually, I think most of them are fine, outside of some cringeworthy lyrics here or there. The only one I really can't stand is Bitch, I'm Madonna. Turns out Sophie's style doesn't translate to other artists well, especially if you take the crazy pitched vocals out of the equation. Nicki's verse is the best thing about it, which is kinda scary considering I thought her own album was very boring.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Stalins Moustache posted:

This is a great song.
Are there any album releases to look forward to this year from major pop artists? I think Rihannas' to release one this year, but I haven't really cared about her since the Loud album.

Madonna's new album is coming out in March, and it's shaping up to at least be better than MDNA was.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Björk's new album Vulnicura is being released...pretty much right now!
https://www.facebook.com/bjork

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Ugh, that really is only the faintest of similarities. Tom Petty invented vi-V-I, you heard it here first, folks.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The melody is almost exactly the same only slowed down.

I don't know, there surely are *some* similarities, but the melodies certainly aren't "almost exactly the same". Some fragments where the vocal line ascends are, but even there the variations in speed and rhythm make this whole lawsuit laughable. The fact that both songs are so different in feeling and arrangement adds to that. It's not a Oasis/Neil Innes situation where it seems that both songs start out exactly the same.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 29, 2015

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Josh Lyman posted:

I thought the resemblance was apparent the first time I heard "Stay With Me":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkcZV97O3pw

Sorry, if your shocking comparison video starts with "well, if we speed this one up and pitch it up a whole lot, and then slow this one down and pitch it down", I'm already sighing. But point taken, Petty's verse and Smith's chorus are similar. I still think it's not enough for a credit, but I guess that's not for me to decide.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Sorry for the double-post, but I have breaking news: the new Carly Rae Jepsen song is officially out. And it is amazing.

That's properly amazing indeed.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Holy crap, the new Brandon Flowers single is AMAZING! 80s inspired production and a catchy chorus is a formula that will never not work for me.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/03/brandon-flowers-debuts-new-singles-cant-deny-my-love-listen/

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Another great album for that kinda sound - Out Of Control by Girls Aloud. There's some upbeat bonkers stuff, but most of them are very Pet Shop Boys-inspired -- I very much recommend Untouchable, Love is Pain, and The Loving Kind.

Not a coincidence, since that one was co-written by the Pet Shop Boys.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Joose Caboose posted:

Haven't seen it mentioned much here but I am way too excited for the Giorgio Moroder album. Release date was just announced as June 12th along with the tracklist (including Britney covering Tom's Diner). Also released was the title track featuring Sia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO0QOsrsjOw

Feel this is going to be the perfect summer album

Oh I love this song as well, but really, Sia can't enunciate properly at all. Due to that and all the multi-tracking, the vocals sound super messy.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I think it's not on iTunes or Spotify yet, but radio in the UK has started playing "I Can Change" from the new Brandon Flowers album, and believe it or not, it's ANOTHER good song. Bronski Beat sample and (very small) Neil Tennant cameo, how couldn't it be good?

http://adamdanielsmusic.bandcamp.com/track/i-can-change-brandon-flowers

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
The new Britney Spears/Iggy Azalea single "Pretty Girls" has leaked, and it's very...Iggy Azalea. Not sure if I like it. It's probably for the best that Britney hasn't gone back to will.i.am this time around, but this doesn't blow me away either. EDIT: Very interesting to read that apparently the song was written by Little Mix. I guess I can see that. It's definitely a pretty different style from both the Max Martin/Dr. Luke as well as the will.i.am stuff.

There's a stream here: http://www.josepvinaixa.com/blog/britney-spears-pretty-girls/

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 2, 2015

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I Can Change is now also on iTunes/Spotify, for those who are sick of listinening to the radio rip.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Little Boots has a new single out, and it's called Better in the Morning. Sound- and songwriting-wise it's a continuation of her Business Pleasure EP, so I guess you're personal enjoyment will align with how much you liked that one. To me it mainly means that it has a nice vibe and sound, but unfortunately a vocal melody that goes nowhere. Basically it's lacking a really good chorus again. But check it out:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0qVt1tBaNnFSPe9FtQnyXm

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

nomapple posted:

The new Brandon Flowers album is streaming on iTunes and the singles are by far the best thing about it, aside from "Lonely Train". I dunno, I'm really not convinced. Can't Deny My Love and the one with the Bronski Beat sample got me so excited.

I'm actually really happy I can disagree with this, I think the album is great and probably the most consistent piece of work he's been involved in so far. If I HAD to find ANYTHING to criticize, it would probably be that Diggin' Up The Heart sounds a little bit too Las Vegas after the first couple of listens, but that doesn't diminish my appreciation of the whole thing at all. My album of the year so far, even better than Froot.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Yoshifan823 posted:

I mean, it's not like, horribly offensive or anything, but I feel like anyone who thinks women should think like this is pretty backwards. It's a bunch of lame "wife" stereotypes from 40 years ago.

I haven't actually HEARD that song, but those lyrics do read like satire to me.

"And know we'll never see your family more than mine"

Come on, that's obviously tongue-in-cheek. I gotta agree with Azran on this.

EDIT: On a completely different note, Brandon Flowers has released a lyric video for I Can Change, which is not only fun to watch but even features a Neil Tennant cameo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FmPEoC7vg4

He's also still super dreamy.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 21, 2015

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
So they discovered how Disco music works? Those are some drat fine investigative journalists over at Pitchfork!

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Is this really the single or just some kind of teaser? I don't know many things, but I know that a "standard" slow jam like this will do nothing for her commercially in Europe.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Guys, don't miss the new Little Boots album!

It's called Working Girl, and actually has a couple of very good tracks (I didn't like the Business Pleasure EP very much). Check out The Game, Help Too or Paradise! The new single No Pressure is pretty good as well.
I think the video is not on YouTube yet, but you should be able to watch it on Vevo: http://www.vevo.com/watch/little-boots/no-pressure/GBVHV1500021

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
A new Pet Shop Boys album is always something to look forward to! Although we already know that Stuart Price has been working with them again, I still think it will be a bit more poppy than Electric was. Price can do pop, and Yes was three albums ago.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

I've said it before but Ultraviolence really has to be heard on vinyl, or at least on an acquired needledrop thereof—the CD seems to have ruined the lo-fi analog sound she was going for with bad mastering choices; it's just not the sort of recording you can compress the poo poo out of and expect to sound good.

Ugh, sorry Mermaid, but an argument like this is never ever going to convince me. As it turns out I quite like High By The Beach, so I decided to give Ultraviolence another chance and listened to the whole of it this weekend. And "slightly better sound quality" isn't going to make that album less of a slog to sit through.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

How can you say this in a world where Call Me Maybe exists? Or Baby One More Time, or Biology, or Thriller? Not to mention countless performers who may not get top-40 hits but are putting out great work (Robyn, Janelle Monae, Adam Lambert, Emeli Sande). There's always good music out there, you just need to know where to look.

Also, this. Together with the vinyl comment I'm getting strong "old men yells at cloud" vibes ;).
EDIT: Bonus points to Puggernaut for that Wikipedia link.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 17, 2015

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
The Miley Cyrus / Flaming Lips collaboration album Miley Cyrus and Her Dead Petz is out now on Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/mileycyrus

I haven't had the time to listen to the whole thing yet (it's a whooping 23 tracks at about 92 minutes), but it's just as weird as you'd assume a collaboration like this would be. 1 Sun is a standout track I think, and reminds me of Gaga actually.

There's also a low budget video for Dooo It!, although it has to be said that apparently the whole album is a homemade/low budget affair. I actually don't like Dooo It very much, but there's some good stuff on the album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu5iAgJ65dA

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

abraham linksys posted:

ugh Emotion is probably the pop album of the year isn't it

I loathed Call Me Maybe but jesus christ this album is good

I hope this turns out to be true, because the album still hasn't been released here, and I've stubbornly decided to listen to the whole single when it comes out and not, erm, "preview" it in some way.
Seriously, who in this day and age decided it was a good idea to release a pop album MONTHS apart in different regions?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

interpunct posted:

Wasn't "Since U Been Gone" released in 2004?

That's a list of Martin's #1 songs in the US I think, and Since U Been Gone, believe it or not, only made #2. There are a couple of more Top 10 tracks from that time, like Behind These Hazel Eyes or Who Knew. But generally speaking, it really was a pretty quiet time for him.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I'm not blown away by Writing's On The Wall either. The orchestration is sufficiently Bond-like, and during the first verse it sounds as if it might go SOMEWHERE, but it doesn't. The chorus is just limp. Perhaps it will grow on me. Skyfall did as well, but at least that one had a chorus that stuck with me right away. Also, I'm not a fan of Sam Smith in the first place, so that might have coloured my perception.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
There are parts on the new Janet Jackson album where she just sounds eerily like Michael. More than ever before. It's really strange.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

What chorus :smug:?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

somnambulist posted:

Team Gaga anyone?

........guys?

(I wish she was still as popular, so much potential :( )

At least one more Team Gaga guy here. I think people tend to underestimate her popularity. Will she break records the way Taylor did and Adele most likely will? No, but she's still the most unique pop star out there, and the press she garnered for stuff like her Grammy performance or American Horror Story shows that a lot of people still care.

Also, seriously, there are Bieber fans here :frogout:? I don't need my (pop) music stars to be perfect human beings, but he is just vile.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Nope, What Do You Mean and Sorry are both absolute dreck, and you're all mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PUGGERNAUT posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_of...
Electric Six came in second in 2003. I love Electric Six and I wish they were more successful. They qualify for this thread, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnsq9XtpmEk

Oh wow, I never even knew Synthesizer had an official video!
I really liked Electric Six for a while. They still put out a funny song from time to time, but they never managed to write songs as catchy as on their first album again. I guess that's why it doesn't surprise me that they faded in popularity after their debut.