Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Those twitter comics makes me wish we had more Starchman in the main one.

neogeo0823 posted:

Up until this latest comic, I was betting it'd be the Sphinx's invisible wall power, but now I can't even fathom what sort of horrible thing he'd unleash upon the world.

Also,

There's still that plunger with a mutual enemy and a nasty grudge to settle. The bullying potential there is quite vast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

horriblePencilist posted:

Everyone here probably has already seen it, but I'm in love with that guest comic Zack made for Vibes. Every panel is perfection.

Zack did a second set for chapter 2 as well. Vibe is shaping up to be a pretty good comic in it's own right so I hope Zack keeps making one of these summing up every chapter. :allears:

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I choose to believe he's saying it just the right way that it sounds like "door, man" to Spender and "doorman" to Issac. For maximum dickishness, you see.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Paranatural posters will be pretty sweet if Zack decides to make them, but I won't be satisfied until I can buy my 'Clothing' T-shirt.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I think Issac hates the Activity Club for not letting him spirit world hero harder.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Alt text canon is best canon.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Shindragon posted:

Sides, would be pretty funny to see Johnny get some spectral type power. Not sure what his be though. Definitely would have to do with his hair though.
I said it a fair amount of pages back, but I'm still pretty convinced Johnny's getting that plunger with the frogspirit. Infinite Johhny is too good to pass up.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I've asked this before but, do we have any actual reason to believe thus far that such spirit fragmentation is even a thing?

I think people are basing it off this strip and how Magnet Snake "didn't end up with the sense of humor." Which could mean any number of things. Personally I didn't think Magnet Snake looked very fragmented, but who knows. Zack has been knocking down mysteries at a pretty good clip so I'm content to wait that particular one out.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

He's been confirmed somewhere for coming back. His powers are plot relevant, it appears.

What happens when the immovable riddle wall meets the unstoppable ghost train?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Dolash posted:

Update!

And... what's going on in that last panel?

Is it suddenly daytime now? And what's with the metal frame?

It's almost as if Max has been transported to some sort of land full of junk and metal where time of day is immaterial but that couldn't be it's not like we have some sort of precedent for this

Max being smarmy to the magnet snake is gonna be great you guys, I can just feel it. :allears:

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I think it's almost guaranteed these two dorks will be forced to begrudgingly ally sooner or later, so I'm not too worried about moral conflicts at this point.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Probably Magic posted:

While I enjoy Paranatural, it's not often that I laugh out loud at it, but Stephen's "THE GOVERNMEEEEEEEANOOF" made me crack up.

Stephen owns all of three R-rated films, calling it.

I'd go the other way with it; Stephen seems like the time to have a well honed and diverse collection of Troma movies and direct to video horror. The stack pack will emerge 3 days later, bleary eyed but renewed in focus.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I guess I was thinking relative to other 'webcomics like this', where it's normal to have a mob of fans who get really really snitty if you point out the author's trying for Tolkeinesque epic worldbuilding and uploading approximately one page every six months, and three updates a week where the plot seems to actually advance sometimes is unheard-of.
Does Aaron Diaz really still have a mob of fans? :v:

But yeah, this sort of thing is endemic to webcomics as a whole. It's a bad symptom of the dripfeed way they're produced and released. It makes me wonder why people don't take a cue from paperback comics and throw up a chapter at a time. There must be good reasons for it but I can't think of any.

What helps here is, Paranatural does the one thing I personally need a slow webcomic to do: it gives you something interesting to see/read every page. Issac can brood in that house for the next 20 years for all I care if we still get funny dialogue and amazing art every update. Even then I'd argue Paranatural is moving it's plot along better than many of it's contemporaries. 'Fastest of the slowest' isn't a great accomplishment, but it's something.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

There is not a fully rendered character there whose deal I do not want to know.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Johnny's gonna win because he's got more named characters on his side, along with the power of friendship [sub]and webcomics.[\sub]

Not only this but Isabel's side has 4 people with their own non-hitball related agendas (possessed Jeff, the vice principal, I assume Suzy is never not scheming and the redhead behind Max is totally Issac being all broody.) A house divided cannot dodge.

I was gonna say The Shockodiles have more magical children but Lisa's a witch and an enigma so that probably counts.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eorSEMX65mw

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

The shading is definitely better, but there is a ~style~ to those flats that an artist could lean into if that was the direction they wanted to go.

In either style Suzy is still the best though, that's an immutable constant

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

red plastic cup posted:

It was gonna be a bunch of swirly stick figures. That was also in the tweet thing.

You can see a couple of them in the background of the previous page, they're neat.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

There have been a lot of "Aw gently caress, comic's not going up until next week" this summer, which is probably what's dragged it out. Convention season, I guess.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

the entire scenario is just genjutsu, Cody has already been hit by the ball

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Splicer posted:

Arguing with people who'll never read it: yes draw what you like on your own time but in art class your teacher is presumably trying to improve your shading and anatomy etc so doodling anime characters instead of drawing your pineapples is like doing your calculus homework with algebra.

Anyway funny comic and I choose to believe that's literally what Isaac sees on that table.

I've seen both sides play out in art classes before. Sometimes the kid with the cat ear hat draws anime for everything, sometimes the teacher just shits on an art style that fits the assignment just because they don't like it. I'm assuming on good faith that Isaac is the former and Teen Zack was the latter.

Speaking of, that art teacher is the best amalgam of every high school art teacher ever.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I wonder how that would go down. Spender freaked out about a tool that could be yellow, and using multiple of those makes sense to me. but if Hijack tried to possess him, wouldn't that be like trying to get in an airplane bathroom with the occupied light on?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Kikas posted:

It's missing the kick-rear end intro theme tho. At least it was awesome in the polish dub I got here :v:

Just imagine this but with Ed's face instead of Musashi's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYkDP5xDoO8

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Last Visible Dog posted:

Dang, even after Eightfold's dying speech, Isabel still instinctively runs to her locker to get "some stuff".

Rereading that part, I like that Eightfold straight up tells Isabel "Look, you might not understand my words now, but you'll look back on them eventually." I have a feeling she's due for that moment pretty soon, and when she has it she's gonna feel real bad about it.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Okay I think the spirit is definitely in Spender, no way would he say something nice to Isaac.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Every time I'm just about to forget that Lisa is the best character, there's a quick and important reminder.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

asking someone to tweak their pacing isn't unreasonable, asking someone to hire on an editor to their passion project webcomic is.

That said this probably would have been better received as two chapters with more of a clean break between hitball and stalking the teachers. That it's all somehow the same big chapter makes what's already a sprawling arc look even worse.

EDIT: to clarify I think the pacing on this tiny little chunk is actually okay! As long as we stay with these 4 stories, jumping between them in quick bursts isn't that bad a storytelling technique, if a little slow to satisfy due to delays. if it starts flashing to Zarei and Doorman and Suzy and whoever else again that's when it it'll crumble real quick.

Maduo fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 29, 2016

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I know! I almost had to double check to make sure.

RareAcumen posted:

Anyone re-read hitball or the train part lately and think it still drags on?
I did the train part a while back and that definitely flows better in one piece, but there are a few bits that go a couple pages too long maybe? Others could easily disagree. I might try rereading hitball but I'm a little more confident that will flow smoothly, as that was during the worst of Zach's delays and pushbacks.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Splicer posted:

You did this

I saw this page yesterday and went "welp thats egg on my face then"

I forgot about Day and how adorable she is though so that's a small consolation.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Dias posted:

I mean, it's always the same discussion over and over tho, you can't blame people for being tired of it. I dunno, maybe it's a pacing issue with these criticisms. Have we tried spacing them out more?

I find the thread reads better if you do it all in one go.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

flatluigi posted:

I love the start-of-chapter orb things but other than that the chapter delineation is pretty meaningless and I wish people in general would dwell less on it

Counterpoint: I want the chapter delineation to be better so we get more cool orbs.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

it's gonna do that thing bad umbrellas do where it flips outward in a strong wind, only all the time.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

That's the most sincere we've seen Max for ages.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I apologize in advance

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I have no illusions or demands for speedy updates and they should take as long as they need, but the guest comic to hold over for delays also getting delayed is really, really funny to me

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

all airplanes are tools, all pilots are in the consortium, heavier-than-air flight is a spectral conspiracy

simple as

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

ninjewtsu posted:

Tell me about birds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uaCG2lvE9w

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I note the artificial spirits all share Sockpuppy's color palette. Wonder if that'll come up later on.

Interesting to note Ventrilobite is labeled as an "artificial spirit prototype" but Sockpuppy is labeled as a "anomalous spectral lifeform". Presumably there's something special about Sockpuppy that Mina somehow copied to create the offshoot spirits?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Even if you wanted to argue webcomics should cater to the current audience and not the archive reader and therefore should pace themselves accordingly, the comic where the artist obliterates their wrist every other week seems like an unfair place to apply that.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

For what it's worth it seems like they're getting more comfortable with the new medium and are starting to play with it, which is cool. Hopefully that continues to happen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Peekaboo may have a true form but I'm not sure he's connected to anyone else besides being another example of spirits having strained and traumatizing relationships with their hosts.

However, the only other examples of childlike spirits with strange traits are Mina's artificial spirits. They do have the color wisps though, So make of that what you will.