Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
What he should really do imo is get a store set up selling t-shirts. I'd buy like half the shirt designs his characters have worn so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Numero6 posted:

Isaac is hilarious, Mr. Spender is such an rear end but it is weird that Isaac is probably the only one that is left out about the mysteries.

From how it sounded earlier, it's not really that he's left out, but Isabel and Ed just don't care about any of that as long as they get to fight spirits and play with superpowers.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Pyradox posted:

So any idea what the deal with the tiny Mr Starchman in panel 2 is?

There's been a little Mr Starchman doll on the couch since they got there.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
If Zack gets an online store started that just sells all the shirt designs that his characters have worn in the comic he would pretty much end up with all of my money.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Portals posted:

It's one of the Supernormal extras:

The fire on the desk is the best part.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It's possibly also because Isaac shooting lighting is a lot closer in function to a spectral blast than Ed or Isabel's powers.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Only thing that could make this better is if the teardrop was animated.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Max's reaction to Spender's "Listen, Max-" had me giggling for like a solid minute.

Also I love how the background colors change to fit the mood of what's going on in the panel.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Every time I read pages with Isabel's grandpa, he sounds like Keith Michael Richardson in my head.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Patchwork Shaman posted:

Are you combining Keith David and Kevin Michael Richardson? If so, that's one hell of an actor you just made up.

Yeah I meant Kevin. Specifically the voice he used for the principal in American Dad/an old earthbender in Avatar.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It's sad that Spender has to keep quiet about a lot of things with Isaac because of his possession, because they're so much alike.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I'd be interested in hearing BL's opinion on Isaac being kept in the dark about everything as long as she's mentioning the club.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

Nah, there's really no malice in Johnny's actions. He doesn't punch nerds because of issues at home or because he has some kind of deep-seated hatred, he punches nerds because punching nerds is a blast and he loves it.

My favorite Johnny moment is still him giving Max change for a dollar when he takes the fifty cents from him after their fight.

Beating up nerds is his business, and Johnny just loves his job.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

Personally, my weird feeling is about Agent Day. Something doesn't add up about her.

Why was she just wandering around on some train tracks heading towards Mayview in the middle of the night, by herself, when she's blind. Aside from the issues that being blind brings, she's completely helpless if a non-spectral finds her and decides to mug her or whatever.

Then there's when she and Spender first encountered each other and she said it was nice to finally meet him. Spender recalled meeting her just 6 months prior, but before he could question it, his shadow spirit broke free and conveniently interrupted that exchange.

Finally, this strip, the very first thing Agent Day says to Zarei and Spender is that she wants to help end their story. What story? Why end it? In exactly what context could that be considered good, given the story so far?

It's a lot of things that keep getting brushed over, when they don't really add up to anything good.

I really loved the shot of Day on the silent page of them on the train. When it's zoomed in on her, the eyebrows give her a bit more sinister looking of a smile, while zoomed out from the distance max is looking at it's the same innocent happy smile she's shown in most of her panels.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just noticed the lack of Isaac. He could just be in a different class, but him and Stephen are the only named students that appear to be missing.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Surprised that Johnny called for RJ before Ollie. Guess Ollie is the wider target though for dodgebal.

Also I love the "DOORS SUCK" shirt on the kid that's even bigger than Ollie.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I love the difference in expression between the team leaders in this page. They're both grinning in the previous page, but once competition starts Isabel is completely serious while Johnny's just having a ball here.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Kikas posted:

I guess Isabel is gonna be more serious in action after her being careless cost her Eightfold.

Yeah, this isn't really the potential life in death thing (as far as anyone knows so far) that the train fight was though. Aside from losing Eightfold, probably also has to do with the way her grandpa's been raising her. Any competition is a moment where she has to prove that she's strong.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I don't mind the gradients. He makes good use of them by having the background coloring fit the mood of each panel.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Dolash posted:

we don't really have an actual shot of the inside of the gymnasium until back at 341

341 was the first page that took place inside the gymnasium though.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
He's the talented but immature anime protagonist who thinks he's grown up to be the cool and wise leader but hasn't.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
"One Winged Angel and the Zolydick family theme start playing simultaneously."

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Dang, two of his fictional mentors are color-coded but presented as monochrome. OK, time for the next big debate. Which ninja and which ranger does Ed think of as mentors, and why?

That helmet is Red Ranger's. Turtle is probably Mikey since he's the most likely to have a goofy smile instead of a more serious expression.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The RJ blackface thing really looks weird when he's fully emoting and has his head extending out beyond the hood

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

I don't think Hijack would text Max. I don't see where he would get the knowledge that that's even an option, let alone have anything to say.

"ready for some Wii sports?"

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

They recognize that kid's got issues but, like, he's kinda unpleasant to everyone all the time and it's not their jobs to kiss his rear end until it feels better. It's Spender's job to make sure he's included like him or not and he's the one who's isolating and antagonizing him; nobody else has done Isaac wrong but you wouldn't know it from the way he treats them.

I don't think you're just supposed to laugh at him, I think it's pretty clear you're supposed to laugh at him and recognize how badly Spender is loving up with these kids

Yeah I sympathize more with Isaac here but Spender's bad mentorship is kind of the root cause. Everyone else shits on him a bit in that they're kids and that's what kids tend to do and Isaac usually doesn't help that but being unpleasant himself, but in his perspective the others doing that is going to have a lot different tone when it's members of a club where the leader is intentionally keeping him in the dark on things. Max's "agent" slip also made it appear to him that even the guy who's only been there a couple days has joined in on it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's not like the spirits are especially smart (Isaac's especially) or likely to do anything with the knowledge, Spender just wants to be an MIB just like he wants to be a toughguy who wins fights and never has to see a doctor

He's just utterly failing as a teacher in the process while not being good at those other things either.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah the full series so far takes place over like, 3 days maybe?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It's amazing how Hijack already has a much better grasp of the kids' issues than Spender himself seems to.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Ed doesn't seem the sort to rush in as quickly. Isaac is probably still stunned by Dmitri's presence.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
There was implications earlier that someone used to be in the club and left after getting injured, which Isaac blames himself for. Considering his reaction when Dmitri showed up, that was probably him.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I feel like at this point with yet another character and new concept added in this now 280 page chapter, I've realized that the pacing probably feels better at this point if I just pretend the chapter divisions don't even exist. (If this chapter lasts 26 more pages it will become longer than 1-4 combined)

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

literally everything involving the school store should have been cut

Or done at a different point to trim down the number of parallel scenes going on for a lot of the chapter.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Tuxedo Ted posted:

It's pronounced "Juh-hawny"

That's how he said it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Tollymain posted:

this is a good webcomic even if it moves at tectonic speeds

Yeah, despite issues I have with the pacing and how bloated this chapter is, I keep reading because every page is still great individually.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Patware posted:

not until he fucks up the story's pacing by being antagonistic toward the shittiest chunk of his fanbase

he has simply abandoned the mortal concept of pacing entirely

Also we need a 10,000 word text dump for the lore of a single made-up species.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Hang in there Beowulf poster is still fantastic.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Also Muse's design very much being a reference to Star Platinum.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Tollymain posted:

artistic license

If I remember the statement from Zack right, Johnny got 12-year old buff from vigorously picking his nose and climbing trees in other people's yards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Why take the maze when you can bust on through the walls?