Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Where is everyone, there is a shocking new development to discuss. Using two tools is supposed to bring them into conflict, could that happen or be happening to max?

I Don't think Max has a second spirit, this is just the Bat talking through him.

The bat just happens to be something powerful enough to posses someone through a tool and make the doorman really scared.

Edit: Though I've seen talk that if the spirit in the bat is some super scary badass, it could be strong enough to force another tool Max wields to submit.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Oh man it's cool that the first wallpaper is basically Max and Issac doing a combo attack. I wonder if that will ever be a thing in the co-

YES!

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Brannock posted:

New page since no one posted the link.

If it was just bullet-time, how does that explain everything being in apocalyptic-future mode?

I'm completely baffled by how everyone reading this comic seems to have completely forgotten how Magical and/or Spiritual Visions always work in stories that have them. It's not even just a few people, almost everyone thought some weird time stopping sun setting metal pile creating magic happened and are really confused but all this.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The shoplifters look like they have uniforms under their hoodies. Mayview Academy rich kids?

Also they look like bizzaro versions oh Johnny and two of his friends.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Tollymain posted:

No the past was anime, the future is spectral rap battling :allears:

That's right. This?

Canon.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I don't think anyone of grandpa's students are from the rich kid school. Isabel was the only kid there anyway, the rest are all adults.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I get the feeling that despite how much he complains about the activity club he is pretty much way way into this whole having powers and being a spirit world hero thing.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

JR and Dan, Zack's two friends he always streams with, made a comic about Zack.

http://soulkarl.tumblr.com/post/56351491973/soulkarl-dan-ciurczak-and-jr-robinson-in

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah that's supposed to be Gigi. She shows up sometimes in the chat to watch streams and the whole thing is just stream shenanigans to make Zack uncomfortable. I missed it when that was drawn but I heard that Zack has sworn to get revenge on them.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I think hammer anvilhead guy might actually be the agent they are picking up.

I'm going to call him the full metal spectral for now.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Sanford posted:

It's much easier to read if you distance yourself from the screen somewhat.

Middle spirit in panel 2 seems to be looking out of the mouth of some kind of bunny costume, or am I seeing it wrong?

He put on a cute little bunny helmet and pulled out some claws. Little guy wants to fight some dogs.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

He is both the dragon and the knight all warped up in one convenient blacksmith forge themed package.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

ProfessorProf posted:

We don't have a name for the blacksmith yet, right? If not, he's now Emo Fresh until further notice.

I think I read somewhere that Zack has said in twitter or something his name is Forge.

Oxxidation posted:

I hope we see Bunny Spirit again, he's cool.

Also he's totally just one guy, those other heads are some Cerberus deal or something.

Another twitter confirmation. She is indeed one dude. https://mobile.twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/390278888447696897

Always Remember to stalk your favorite comic makers twitters and tumblrs for sweet spoilers.

Anyway shadow clone bunny is definitely gonna end up either Max's replacement tool when scrapdragon leaves him or his SECOND spirit if it doesn't leave him.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Here's a more visual reference for people still having trouble with the code.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I bet Mr. Garcia is a werewolf.

Or an alcoholic.

On an unrelated note I can't find the Halloween art you people are talking about on the last page. Where is it.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 4, 2013

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I love Max's increasingly annoyed face after every interruption. I also love Isabel's enthusiasm for punching, ghosts or otherwise.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Suzy now and Johnny soon! Finally we get to the real main characters.

Also Suzy's descriptions make me want to see more of Lisa.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I think Zack actually answered questions about all those kids back when he showed up on his friends streams.

Basically the answer is they aren't all from the school, Mayview in general is a bit meeting place for spirits and such, and the school is a hotspot from some reason. I can't remember if at this point in the comic he established the "ghosts don't have feet" rule yet. They might some be spirits.

Also I just want to mention how clever having ghosts and spirits look purple when you first start seeing them works on that page. It seems like just "unimportant background" coloring and then BAM empty hallway. I don't think I've seen a single person actually notice the purple and expect that.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 7, 2014

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Almost need a chart o keep it all straight. It's basically my second most favorite part of the comic. The first being just the amazing grasp of comedy Zack has.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

That was an impressively nasty trick that dog just pulled.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Shame that I'm pretty sure that this guys gray energy and not black energy.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I think non-spectrals are like objects. No energy at all so anything can posses it.

Bussamove posted:

I think everything we've seen so far is steam coming off of the super-heated bits of metal/his fingers, not spectral energy. It's always been shown to be very bright and vibrant, the trails of stuff Forge produces have been way more subdued in comparison, and has that "tssssh" sound effect which brings to mind water hitting something super hot too. Who knows what his color is!

Err sorry I should of clarified. I'm going off of out of comic things Zack said. In the commets here http://paranatural.net/chapter-4-page-42/

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 11, 2014

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Slime posted:

Maybe possession can make someone into a spectral?

This is another thing he told us. If someone who is not a spectral becomes possessed, they slowly become a spectral of the same color of the spirit possessing them.

It's kinda annoying that a lot of information of the world of the comic is outside of the comic. Someone should make a wiki of everything Zack's ever said.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

We've known since Forge's conversation with those rabbits that he's being hired by someone who works with the Doorman, so it was reasonable to assume that he wasn't exactly "evil". The allegiances are a bit unclear since the rabbit spirits and whoever they're working with are clearly up to something that Spender and the other spectrals don't know about, but it may not be malevolent. Whoever the game dogs work for clearly is malevolent.

My favorite thing is when Forge was being told that the weird dog things seek out and follow the most evil thing and he immediately tries to command them.

He at least thinks he's evil. But clearly isn't the most good at evil.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I kinda want someone to get possessed by a pixeldog.

Respawning would be a pretty cool power to have and all you'd have to deal with is an objectively evil spirit in your head.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I'm now looking forward to new bullshit languages almost as much as plot developments and more character screen time.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Zack says there will be awesome junk-world parkouring later on by Max and Timesnake.

I'm really looking forward to this. Zack's really drat clever in his fight scenes. I'd never think of having the light power guy using the glowy eye thing as ammo for his power. I was really confused about that panel until it hit me what he just did.

Also his name is Scrapdragon now not timesnake.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Maybe he had the name first.:colbert:

The very next page you get a glimpse of mister tentacles.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Remember that The Strongest Spirit Spender killed?

It was God Himself. And now He is trapped within Spender with the help of Lucifer. Boom, comics plot solved like a bullshit language.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I hope literally every single important spirit character gives a big dumb lecture on morality and justice and goodness. Every one so far has at least one line I really like.

It's way more obvious in the comedy but Zack is just so generally good at putting words together into sentences I really enjoy.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 28, 2014

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I don't care much about Ava's Demons but those specific complaints are really funny in the context of this thread considering that Paranatural already has a huge cast and two human factions and AT LEAST two, possibly as many as four, spirit factions, with competing agendas and filled with individuals who themselves have their own mysterious agendas.

I just counted. 31 characters important enough to make the cast page by this point in chapter four.

Edit:And I just noticed Scraps isn't even on there. No Spenders spirits either. So that's 35 including them and Ed's unknown spirit.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 6, 2014

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Aren't very important to the story at all yet.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Anyway, I wonder what the purpose of this is. And why the book doesn't look possessed anymore.

This keeps coming up. It's because it takes time for the book to change after eightfold returns to the book.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I think Dolash is blindly groping towards some form of a "Authentic/Unauthentic" dichotomy. Where there's some invisible and arbitrary rules of how to express something in a True and Meaningful way as opposed to a way that's "artificial" or "forced" or "pandering". One of those rules being apparently "don't acknowledge the problems out loud". All nonsense of course.

Also it's funny to me(in a good way) that Zack's comic is already pretty good on this topic compared to a lot of poo poo and he still stops and thinks "I need to do better."

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 28, 2014

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I'll be honest, the cast growing seems inevitable to me. He can't seem to stop himself from making new characters. He made so many from the start that his friends and himself make fun of him for it.

It's basically the shounen trope he's gonna end up playing completely straight.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

This whole conversation is a delaying tactic to make her getting the book impossible rather then incredibly unlikely so she doesn't try and get herself killed.

Here comes the sad death. Bye Eightfold, too cute for this world.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I think the hearts are a double reference to both Agent Day's cupid powers and video game health bars/extra lives. Pretty sure Player 2 Start is a reference to Isabel, with Max being Player 1. That's going off really old and poorly remembered Zack Talk though so we should wait till the end of the chapter to see if something else pops up.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Almost literally every single spirit who has had significant screen time has given some kind of lecture on morality in one form or another. I joked about this but it seems to be actually happening. Can't wait to hear Scraps and whoever Ed's spirit is give their speeches.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Eightfolds gone forever.

Also in like ten chapters she's gonna get dug up and show up held hostage by big bad to make Isabel betray the team or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

They could still be like tools, except able to move around, so they would have an easier time finding a spectral with which to bond. Though maybe that'd be too much like a magical girl anime.

See now that needs to happen