Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Eightfold knows too much to be as weak and unimportant as she lets on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tollymain posted:

She's probably just as weak as she appears to be. On the other hand, who said intelligence/breadth of knowledge/importance had to correlate with power level?

Knowledge is power. :colbert:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Isabel's grandfather really is the worst then. He's teaching all these skills that in a pinch could wind up being totally useless, and then trying to stop people from using more useful skills.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 25, 2014

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really would rather not argue about affirmative action and webcomics, but I thought that since this is an argument about statistics, it might help if I just run some quick statistics on the demographics of the cast page. The biggest minority group is spirits at about 13%, but they don't really count for the purposes of this, so here are the percentages excluding them:

code:
White        70.4%
Hispanic     9.3%
Black        3.7%
Asian        1.9%
Dr. Zarei    3.7%
Mystery      11.1%
Here's wikipedia's breakdown of the US's racial demographics for comparison.

Dr. Zarei is separate because I have no real idea what to list her as race-wise, and there isn't an equivalent listed on wikipedia either. The biggest minority here are the mysterious people who you never see the faces of, followed by hispanics. Whites are just barely below the US average of 72%, although if you run the stats without the mystery people, whites come in at 79%. All of the other races are below national average, although it sort of depends on where Mayview is. If it's in Maine, for example, then it's suspiciously diverse, if it's in South Dakota there's a weird lack of native americans, and if it's in California then the demographics are all wrong. I kind of wonder if you could pick out a state with similar demographics to Mayview, but that would take too much effort.

HOWEVER, race is not the only thing Zack mentioned! He also mentioned skinny people! Let's plug some other statistics in:

code:
Fat     11.1%
Dead    7.4%
I wouldn't know how that compares to the US average. Finally, there's this:

code:
Skinny White People  59.2%
God this turned out too long. In summary, :words: and :numbers:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

As someone who just recently burned through this comic I gotta say you all are crazy to think eightfold is leaving. She pretty much only just got introduced in narrative time.

For all we know, Eightfold could be intended to be offed so that Isabel has a reason to hate Max.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Looks like Max is dead now. Time for the Isabella show.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Next page, Isabella is tossed out the train, Ed falls down a well, Isaac sacrifices himself for the fate of the universe, and Spender gets hit by a meteorite.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Spender's gonna feel real dumb when he gets back to the train and finds all the kids dead after he bragged to Forge how they could handle themselves.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ed's got an interesting backstory to him, even if he doesn't have a load of drama to him. Maybe not next chapter but the one after next.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Max still needs to meet up with his dead mom.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Still seems like it's just the bat exerting its influence over Max. How come nobody ever questions that? It mysteriously compelled Max to find it, and it was lurking until it could find a compatible spectral. Totally suspicious.

Spender also implied that the Activity Club doesn't just leave tools lying around either. The magnet eel was in hiding.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Blue eyes dragon attracts the metal, red eyes dragon repels.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Isaac's a classy anime.

Tunicate posted:

So, if we're looking for powerful ghost fragments and stuff... anyone been keeping track of Lefty?

Lefty's no spirit, he's just a ghost.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What you'd need to do is add more vanilla flavoring. Your average vanilla ice cream is going to have the flavor more diluted than chocolate is. The best ice cream I ever had was done from scratch in a plastic bag in a chemistry class. Monkeying around with the flavor ratios is the best.

Of course, Spender's getting soft-serve anyways, so I wouldn't expect all that much out of it. (even better for metaphors)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

I imagined that the two tails on the speech bubble was because Scrapdragon was using his own voice and Max's voice at the same time.

I read a lot of crappy (and one or two good) manga and have been a Game of Thrones fan for years, so believe me when I say that Max also being possessed by a hitherto unknown and unseen second gunman spirit is one of the dumbest theories I've ever heard.

Max falls back, and to the left.

Back, and to the left.

Back, and to the left.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I kind of assumed that Boss Leader was just in a coma, so she can spend all day skulking through dreamscapes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Habitually flipping a coin?

Or just decking someone every so often.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You just have to live in a Burgh to be a burger. Max, don't get all homicidal.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's missing black.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Or, the train will eat Max, and he will show up inside the same car as Isabel.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

But Isaac also is kinda aligned with Doorman, looking to him for moral guidance and stuff. And we pretty much consider him one of the protagonists, don't we?

Isaac is either the brooding loner almost-antihero of the team, or he is the star of some alternate version of this comic to which Max is the brooding loner.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The anime that Isaac stars in is like 40 episodes in by now.

:rip: Eightfold.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I love how absolutely nobody is interested in hearing about Isabel's heartfelt, traumatic experience.

Hell, her gramps could probably figure out a way to get Eightfold back if he cared about it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Look at that wall of pictures. Isabel is loving intense.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Okay, I wasn't going to jump on the Francisco's a overbearing dick thing last page. But come on man, at least ask for enough of an explanation to find out your granddaugther is bleeding from a bite mark.

He didn't see, it was under her jacket. She probably isn't going to bother showing him, either. Isabel's a tough kid, for better or worse. Her grandpa pushes her, and this is what happens.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Clearly there are massive holes in the lawn with very tall grass growing out of them that has been cut to equal length as the surrounding grass, it's not that complicated guys.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So wait, Isaac''s probably going to snipe Johnny before he gets to the club, and they'll have the weirdest anime tag-team duo. But come on, Isaac's really just being a big anime baby here. Max didn't fully deny Isaac or anything yet, Isaac's just angry that the other members like him so Isaac can't control him.

Doorman probably knows what's up, though. And Max might still need Isaac's help to get back out of Mayview.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There are some webcomics I've seen that do more of a hybrid system, where they'll send out a notice when they've finished a new chapter, but still update daily. Personally, I refuse to read some webcomics until there's a bunch of new pages to go through, like Ava's Demon or Unsounded or Vattu. Paranatural always has enough going on in every page to keep current on though.

Something that updated one chapter at a time would be great to follow, especially if you rely on an RSS feed, but it might not work to make ad money pay for the site, and I have no idea whether Patreon would match up to it at all. Also the artist would be able to think more long-term instead of always chasing short-term deadlines. I feel like a lot of artists get stuck in a rut after a while , and they have no idea where to go with their comic, but they keep on going because of inertia of keeping up with updating every day.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Isabel where did your bike go.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Isaac has serious issues and a lot of pent-up frustration that he can't talk about to anyone aside from a horrible lightning monster who makes it worse and an absentminded door. Now he's convinced Max and the rest of his friends are in some kind of weird conspiracy against him. At this rate, he may even be hitting puberty a couple years early, because he is full-on angsty teenager now.

Of course, this may be exacerbated by the presence of a spirit who possesses people when they're depressed.

Fecha posted:

I hadn't considered Agent Day as that person but Max does have an interesting reaction to seeing her. It does seem odd that Max wouldn't address her or that she wouldn't recognize his voice at least. Or his image when she used her weird spirit eyes.

Kids' voices are hard to recognize after a couple years. They change pretty fast.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

t my school they did this weird thing where you could get the other team out by hitting them with the ball, but to win each team had to knock down three bowling pins that the other team was defending, and this weird exploit strategy was developed to block enemy balls with a ball that you held in your hands, because it doesn't count as hitting you if it just hits the ball. I think there were also regular "jailbreaks" once one team got depleted enough.

Also instead of proper round balls we played with these weird, yellow, not-fully-inflated, low quality footballs, so we would just be tossing around these lovely lemons.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Johnny's gonna win because he's got more named characters on his side, along with the power of friendship [sub]and webcomics.[\sub]

I'm mostly surprised by those secret agent kids. Who are they? WHO DO THEY WORK FOR?!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh hey check out those background characters from chapter 1, still being in the background.

http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=40

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the evidence is: 1. He's a super chill cool dude unlike the rest of the journalism club and 2. There was a flashback where there was a limb-stealing spirit who had stolen a black arm MUCH LIKE THE ARMS CURRENTLY IN DIMITRI'S POSSESSION.

I like these silly theories getting a life of their own even if there's no evidence. It's fun.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Max is exhibiting my personal opinion on middle school back when I was a kid.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Roaper posted:

True. Paranatural is a lot lighter in tone. I mean none of the kids had to die to get powers.

PJ did.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I understand the sentiment of wanting a work to stand on its own in a void, but it feels like a pipe dream considering how over time the context that a work relies on will slip away until even the language is archaic and you have to really work to figure out what anything meant. I can respect the concept of giving legitimacy to what meaning other people want to give to a work, but that doesn't change the fact that most of the time the author will have actually meant to put meaning into a work, and that's not irrelevant.

Kabanaw posted:

Anyway deciding that a gay character is straight even when the author says it outright is basically the worst.

Well, fandoms tend to do the reverse all the time as well. I don't think I'd be surprised if people started putting out fanart of Johnny and Max making out because hate = love.

Although I suppose from a practical standpoint, none of the characters really have sexuality , since Zach has said that he doesn't want to write romance.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That gym is dusty enough to kill a person with asthma.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

kinmik posted:

Oh really? Not this?

I have no idea what this is, but my money's on hentai doujin

Offhand, that looks like it might be School Rumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How pissed will Spender be when he discovers that Forge survived, made it through the barrier, and now has taken residence in one of his students?