Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

neogeo0823 posted:

In other news, rereading that page reminds me exactly why Isaac's spirit is such a liability when it comes to secrets. It's interesting to see it being worked around almost like it's a disability.

Of course, the Doctor seems to think this is a terrible idea, with her comments about wisdom and good sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Brannock posted:

I almost get the sense that Forge is preparing to be killed by Spender, from Forge's body language and word choice.

You know, if he were discorporated, he could get through the little door.

quote:

Yea, that was clever of it to use its last action like that.

Makes me wonder what sort of creature it is, to be willing to sacrifice itself in that manner while also being smart enough to come up with that trick.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Which raises the question of what they're going to do when the storm god regenerates and reforms (this seems like a really good way for spectrals to die if they don't have a good relationship with their symbiotic spirit).

The cynical answer is "keep killing it and have Isaac or some other agent continue using its powers for eternity."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Also relevant, I think, is the fact the train is a tool in the hands of a shadowy conspiracy that's sealed a town in an invisible dome. It's not a noncombatant.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

What's up with Isabel's arm in the final panel?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I don't think Spender could be worse even if he were trying.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oh god the author twitter says Spender is 26. That makes him younger than me. This is terrible.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, I think we're back in "two spirits" territory, although I guess it's possible that they're both in the bat.

That might actually make sense; the thing that's maddening Scrapdragon is the need to share space with a trickster spirit.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Calling Lisa as Boss Leader's real identity.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The fun comes when Isaac learns how much Max knows and Max realizes why he shouldn't share.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

MikeJF posted:

The thing is, I think that most of Isaac's resentment comes from Spender not telling him anything, not just Consortium stuff.

Plus Isaac hasn't even been told the reason why he's not being told anything (even we are just theorizing, really) so as far as he knows Spender just trusts him even less than he does Ed.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ProfessorProf posted:

More seriously, odds that Forge's angel and the person Spender is here to pick up are the same person?

Agent Day isn't a local, just a visitor; Forge wouldn't have come to town to visit her.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dolash posted:

How does possession work with non-spectrals again? Frog-guy considered it for Max's dad, but I don't remember if they can still spectrally recharge from that.

They slowly become a spectral of a matching color.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's almost amazing to contemplate how Spender has failed this evening on pretty much every conceivable level.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

This, of course, is the real reason Isaac is excluded from the Activity Consortium; if he were not they would rapidly become even more anime than they already are.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's looking depressingly likely that there won't be any consequences for Spender even though one member of his team didn't make it back. ::::(

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Of course, this puts Isaac and Max in an pinch, since they're supposed to keep Doorman a secret.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Seriously, Spender completely fumbled the situation in just about every possible way. Short of a student straight-up dying (which very nearly happened twice), I don't know how things could be worse.

Did we know before now that the shield was the Consortium's doing?

Spender mentioned at some point that one of their spectrals raised it using a spirit's power. Probably they could even take it down, except that that would probably defeat the purpose of bubbling the whole town!

I mean, seriously, that bubble is a disaster waiting to happen the minute an unknown new spectral tries to drive into Mayview. They must really want to keep the town concealed.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

What's funny is that Spender is feeling really bad and he doesn't even know about all the ways he's screwed the pooch yet.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

We don't really know if Isaac's...uh...issues...stem from his possession or existed beforehand. I suspect they existed beforehand. He seems like a kid who always wanted to be a hero, got his chance to be one, and basically is taking it up to 11.

Can you even really call Isaac's lifestyle "having issues?" All that stuff he does is real. (Although, there does seem to be a qualitative difference in how Isaac relates to the world and how Spender does, but that could be a coincidence.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The main difference is that Roshi was training two young men who were functioning as adults (even if it was at a ridiculously young age) and could leave whenever they wanted and become a baker or something. Isabel isn't an adult and treating her like one (and honestly, he isn't even really treating her like one, since if she was an actual subordinate he would probably have, like, asked what happened before deciding it was her fault) is abusive and counterproductive.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

What I want to know is, what part of the USA has convenience stores that are zoned to allow somebody to live on top of them?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I just looked back at Chapter 3. Wow, this comic's art has improved by leaps and bounds in a really short time. It's honestly kind of all-around fantastic for an artist/author who's so young.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's pretty much the perfect storm of interactions between two terrible authority figures—Spender led Isabel into danger and didn't think to ask if she was all right (and in fact ignored her attempts to tell him about the death(ish) of her partner), and Francisco raised Isabel not to complain or seek help for her injuries.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

I don't think Francisco has a policy of not having his students ask for help. He did summon Zarai to fix his ghost student's wounds. It's just that Isabel and Francisco's relationship has deteriorated to the point where Isabel won't do anything to make herself look weak in front of Francisco and Francisco refuses to give her his approval because she's doing dangerous things with Rick Spender, teacher of the year and her cocking has gotten her seriously hurt before.

Oh, I agree that he's very solicitous of his student's wounds. But he has a different standard for Isabel.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

Yeah, I can see why Isaac would be pissed at the situation, poor kid. Do we even know why they keep him in the dark? Are they scared that his spirit will use that information against them? It seemed to not be very fond of the whole organization, but they could at least warn him that that was the reason the withold information from him.

They haven't really said but from context it definitely seems to be 'they don't want his spirit to know anything'.

Honestly, Mr. Spender has hinted at that hard enough that Isaac should probably have figured it out already but I think Isaac has pretty much checked out of the mental space of bothering to listen to anything Rick Spender has to say. (not that i can blame him)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The Dog Lover mug is just icing on the cake of Spender Is An Awful Teacher.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Spender also regards Isabel as trustworthy and sends her on missions to do the things Isabel wants to be good at. He's probably Isabel's major source of validation.

Which is very sad.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

So it occurs that at this point Johnny could be hit by spirit energy, but still can't see the stuff yet. So if, say, Johnny tried to bully them on the way to school the way he did Max and Isaac and Isabel did some spirit punching all Johnny would see is her waving her hands while he got beat up invisibly.

What I'm saying is, Johnny needs to show up right now.

He got through the barrier last night, so I don't think he's ripe for spirit punching yet.

That last part is still correct though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Also some flashback images showed there used to be a black kid in the club alongside the current crew.

Or at least part of one.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oh my god, the Vice Principal is literally hiding behind a fake child with a "No Adults" shirt.

What a magical, magical school.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

And he keeps getting better, too. Even the beginning of the last chapter doesn't look nearly as good as the comic does now.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

That's actually interesting, because it looks like most spirits can't affect physical things with their powers (or at least the town doesn't have as many weird things happening as it should if they can), so a spectral actually provides something unique to the merger instead of being either a parasite or a parasite's host.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

flatluigi posted:

What does this post even mean

It means that people really like trying to explain away gay things as not being gay.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Cody strikes me as an inverse Isaac--he seems equally anime, capable, but his personality is vastly improved as well. I wonder if this is significant--maybe Isaac is an anime red herring, and will be killed off early to make room for the new true anime, who is of course a proper pretty boy.

It turns out there is more than one anime!

One day Isaac will learn this and his world will be rocked.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

If Ed can actually do fifty of even a couple of kinds of exercise, I don't know what this guy is complaining about.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

What's really weird is that none of the other six people bought one. I mean, the others are all adults and possibly Ed, right?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Meanwhile, Zack is struggling on Twitter with people who think Johnny is attractive.

Sorry, guy, but that's a bucket that doesn't have a bottom.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

So, is Isaac Piro and Spender Largo, or vice-versa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It does seem kind of interesting. You'd think this spirit would be known, since it has a fairly distinctive MO, is obviously very dangerous, and has presumably been inside the relatively small area inside the barrier since it was put up (so, at least since Spender reached puberty).